• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima sold 9.73 million copies - 2 year anniversary stats

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Please help. Is it possible to start DLC from the main menu or do I have to reach a certain point in the story to unlock it?

nowhat

Please help. Is it possible to start DLC from the main menu or do I have to reach a certain point in the story to unlock it?
You need to get to the second island (or second part of the island - chapter 2 anyway). However if you don't have an existing save, I would recommend grinding it out a bit more (at least get the longbow) before going for the DLC, it does ramp up the difficulty a bit.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You need to get to the second island (or second part of the island - chapter 2 anyway). However if you don't have an existing save, I would recommend grinding it out a bit more (at least get the longbow) before going for the DLC, it does ramp up the difficulty a bit.

Thanks, man. Will do. Sucks that there are no cloud saves on PlayStation. What a piece of shit.

nowhat

Sucks that there are no cloud saves on PlayStation.
Uhh... that's one of the selling points for PS+? (a minor one at that, but it's been there at least since the PS4 launch)

Now granted getting saves from PS4 to PS5 is waaaay more convoluted than it needs to be*), but it certainly can be done: https://screenrant.com/ghost-tsushima-directors-cut-transfer-ps4-save-ps5-guide/

*) I think it's one of the great mysteries in life - Sony's first party studios employ some frightfully talented programmers. Seriously, watch some GDC talks, the guys are god-tier. However, I wouldn't trust Sony the corporation (be it SIE or any other subsidiary) to program their way out of a paper bag.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It's behind Plus if I'm not wrong.

Uhh... that's one of the selling points for PS+? (a minor one at that, but it's been there at least since the PS4 launch)

Exactly. This is a basic feature that should be there for everyone, not locked behind a paywall. I'm not going to subscribe to PS+ to play 2-3 exclusives a year. SONY nickel-and-diming their customers every chance they get. :messenger_expressionless:

But it's fine. I'll play the first part of the game AGAIN. It's quite short if you ignore the side content.

nowhat

Exactly. This is a basic feature that should be there for everyone, not locked behind a paywall. I'm not going to subscribe to PS+ to play 2-3 exclusives a year. SONY nickel-and-diming their customers every chance they get. :messenger_expressionless:

But it's fine. I'll play the first part of the game AGAIN. It's quite short if you ignore the side content.
I don't disagree, I also think online should be free as well. But the cat's already out of the bag, this is not going to change no matter how much we bitch about it.

Anyway, if you have access to a PS4 that you played it on, you can also transfer a save via USB, the instructions are in the link I posted above.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I don't disagree, I also think online should be free as well. But the cat's already out of the bag, this is not going to change no matter how much we bitch about it.

Anyway, if you have access to a PS4 that you played it on, you can also transfer a save via USB, the instructions are in the link I posted above.

Sadly, I don't have access to that old hardware anymore. Not a biggie, playing the first part of the game again will refresh my memory when it comes to controls, etc.

I rarely play on my Series X but I swear Microsoft is including cloud saves for free. I don't have any subscription and if I'm not mistaken all my old saves from One X were there when I logged in. Interesting.

Brian Jensen

Neo Member
theres nothing idiotic for stating statistical fact. Im not buthurt over a game not going the way i wanted but at certain point you do have to question about the writing/the story behind tlou2

abby : hey remember that one random npc you kill during ellie surgery? thats my dad and now im out for a revenge mission

that was like the cheapest and poorest one i ve ever seen in videogame storyline. lazy af and zero creativity.

imagine if Tod Howard making TES VI and making the story plot of the main villain are based on that one draugr or stormcloak soldier you killed in skyrim dungeons/city which turns out to be his/her relatives

I thought that was incredible. I just loved the amount of pain and suffering that was in Part 2, with the existential themes and philosophy that made it a great experience. Both of The Last of Us Games got me back into gaming in 2020 during lockdowns, as well as The Witcher 3!

Brian Jensen

Neo Member
TLOU 2 is comparable to Tsushima and Days Gone, but Uncharted 4, Horizon, and even God of War were from a different time when PS4 sold in bigger volumes and likely drew considerable bigger bundle sales. It's too many factors to draw useable comparisons.

Even if Tsushima and Days Gone sold 3-4 million from bundles alone, and without bundles would sit at 6-7, it's still in the ballpark of TLOU 2.

We are talking about the first game being one of the all-time best games, that Sony has been promoting ever since as a Sony top-tier experience. It's a massive blockbuster with top-tier production values and it was promoted everywhere. You couldn't promote it more if you wanted. It must have sold 5-7 million within 2020, and then 3-4 or so million over the next 18 months? it's bizarre, why aren't people buying this when they get a PS5? why did it slow down so much on the PS4? again, 10 million is a big deal, but it's on the level of Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch, which is sitting at around 7 million after 7-8 months. It's like Luigi's Mansion 3 sort of sales.
Part 2 still sold incredibly well, which is proof that it’s controversy is mostly on Twitter and Reddit, which doesn’t speak for most gamers or for people that played the game. It sold 10 million copies in less than two years and still counting.

Bragr

Banned
Part 2 still sold incredibly well, which is proof that it’s controversy is mostly on Twitter and Reddit, which doesn’t speak for most gamers or for people that played the game. It sold 10 million copies in less than two years and still counting.
10 million in 2 years is not incredibly well for a monster game such as that.

Fake

Clearly the game cost the same as GTA5. It was a massive flop. End of story

Maybe cost even more than GTA5 taking into the consideration the large amount of face capture, but Sony new strategy will never lets us know what was the real cost, so we just gonna end up with the 10m cicle over and over again.

But enough this madness subject. GoT make a good sale for a new IP and thats the real deal.

Last edited:
It makes me happy seeing this game succeed.

I purchased it at a very stressful time in my life and it was very therapeutic. I played it on my PS5 and it's jaw dropping in terms of it's visuals and art direction, the soundtrack was the cherry on the top.

A lot of likeable characters too with great voice actors, especially Sensei Ishikawa, and Lord Shimura.

If you haven't played it already I highly recommend, especially if you have a PS5

Bragr

Banned
It is in fact a massive success for a sequel to a beloved game. Especially for an exclusive that’s only playable on two consoles, and the PS5 can barely be found anywhere.
The PS4 is one of the most popular consoles of all time and a significant part of that userbase should want TLOU2, instead, the game is being outperformed by Luigi's Mansion 3 and Splatoon 2 (which are playable on one console).

The PS5 has sold over 20 million units, yet almost no one who got that console seems to buy TLOU2.

It's selling well and is doing good, but you simply can't call this a massive success. That's just Sony fanboy talk.

UTbQS0X.jpg

VZKfg8e.jpg
jpkZvLh.jpg
E9uCemp.png

Vrr mode

Barrico82

Banned
From the opening you know you are in for a Wonderful ride, One of the best games i Played and a Story i Will never forget and the ending oh my god what an ending.

Gameplay wise it was good, Hopefully they will imrpove The next one i Enjoyed the dual mechanic, The clash of the swords and the graphics was so beautiful.

The line that i will never forget
" You have no honor"
" And you are a slave to it"

yurinka

No, it just sold almost as much as TLOU2.
TLOU2 achieved "more than" 10 million copies a few months before its 2nd anniversary. GoT achieved almost 10M on its 2nd anniversary. And this is with GoT having received DLC, Director's Cut, PS5 version and word of mouth from PS+.

They are somewhat similar in sales, in the same league, but TLOU2 has a lead that will become bigger with TLOU1 remake, TLOU MP game, TLOU tv show and if it ever gets it, PS5 version and PC port.

Clearly the game cost the same as GTA5. It was a massive flop. End of story
Lol, no. GTA5 had way bigger budget than any Sony game -or pretty much all AAA games- and it's success is a very rare unicorn case that in gaming history can be compared maybe only to Minecraft.

Very few games sell 10M in 2 years (in the case of TLOU "more than" 10M a few months before its 2nd anniversary) specially if are single player exclusive games.

a significant part of that userbase should want TLOU2, instead, the game is being outperformed by Luigi's Mansion 3 and Splatoon 2 (which are playable on one console).
This is note true.

Luigi's Mansion 3 achieved 10.29M a month before its 2nd anniversary so it's somewhat in the same league. Splatoon 2 needed 3 years to sell 10M copies, so it's selling slower.

The PS4 has an insanely huge and varied catalog with a ton of great games that cover many different tastes/niches/genres. In addition to have huge hardware sales PS4 has a record number of games sold per console, meaning that there are a shit ton of PS4 games sold, but these sales are spread across a ton of games. Many people may prefer fighting games and has a ton of them, or same with racing, fps, open worlds, etc. And a huge portion of them may not be interested on zombies, in the same way that only a very small portion of its active userbase buys the specific top selling games of every year, as could be the typical FIFA, CoD, AC, etc. They have a lot to choose from.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Incredible and i can't wait for the sequel. I hope we are not just playing in Japan though. They should let us play a little in ancient Mongolia.

MrA

Banned
Incredible and i can't wait for the sequel. I hope we are not just playing in Japan though. They should let us play a little in ancient Mongolia.
Visiting areas rarely covered in games would definitely be cool. Traveling through parts set in Korea, China, Cambodia laos Vietnam Thailand or Burma would definitely be interesting though with Mongolia going to Xanadu would be cool

pasterpl

Quite surprised. I have preordered this game but bored within 3 hours, I don’t like AC games and found GoT lacking originality and very boring. I liked the setting of the game and visuals but gameplay wasn’t great for me.

also taking into consideration that there are almost/over 140mln Sony consoles (ps4 + ps5) these sales numbers means that only 6.95% of ps owners got the game. This doesn’t sound like a smash hit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Quite surprised. I have preordered this game but bored within 3 hours, I don’t like AC games and found GoT lacking originality and very boring. I liked the setting of the game and visuals but gameplay wasn’t great for me.

also taking into consideration that there are almost/over 140mln Sony consoles (ps4 + ps5) these sales numbers means that only 6.95% of ps owners got the game. This doesn’t sound like a smash hit.
Please Understand™

Topher

Gold Member

Thanks for the Concern™

kiphalfton

LTTP but this game is pretty impressive.

Pros:
- Side quests: having a bit of story in there is nice as it gives reason to do them.
- Environment: Love it. It's extremely varied and fun to explore. Though there's some copy/pasted assets, they didn't go crazy with it.
- Combat: It's nice that they included an option to lock on. I found myself using it more early on, but the game still works incredibly well with out.
- Traversal: Fast travel is just that, almost instantaneous with no load screens. Very nice. Horseback riding is smooth and horse doesn't run out of stamina quickly like other games.
- Graphics: I'm playing it on PS5, but the graphics are pretty dang good for a PS4 game. Namely the vegetation. PS5 version could benefit from ray tracing, but may not be possible, so not gonna knock it for that.
- Characters: The characters are likeable and not obnoxious. Motivation seems to be on point, and there's an emotional aspect to it all. You can definitely feel for the protagonist and the natives of Tsushima.

Cons:
- Combat: Could benefit from more combo moves. The four styles is nice to have, but not being able to interlace them and being very specific to enemy types is a bit a annoying.
- Sound: For some reason the sound seems off to me. Almost like it doesn't fit with the environment that the character is currently in. For instance maybe echoing in cavernous areas, etc.
- Side quests: Though this was a pro up above, the devs did seem to fall back on copy/pasted quests with the Gosaku armor side quest, and possibly other side quests.
- Camera: The camera is way too close. Whether during combat or exploration, it could benefit from being pulled out further.
- Day/Night Cycle: This one is a weird one, where it seems to transition from day to night way too quickly. Also when playing certain missions, there's a lot of ambiance from the weather and time of day, but you beat the mission and it immediately thereafter changes to bright and sunny out. Maybe intentional, but still a weird choice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom