• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell bombs at the box office

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am okay with this.

Not suprising since the source material was pure garbage to begin with.

lvao30b.gif

I honestly don't think the whitewashing had much if anything to do with it's BO numbers but, if that's the lesson they take from it, I'm ok with that.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Never saw the original but the trailers for this movie looked good. Not sure what the issue is (besides the whitewashing).

- J - D -

Asian American's acting careers are always stalling. We never give them a chance to do anything. They can't be in bad movies and they can't be in good movies.

Yes, but would leading this bomb help them at all? I mean, I would have loved to see an Asian actress in the lead role here, but I would prefer primarily if it were a better, more competent project to begin with.

Maxim726X

But I thought casting a popular white actress as an originally Asian character would make the movie bankable

Weird

And it very well could have been, if the movie looked any good from the countless previews we saw, and it reviewed relatively well.

People are delusional if they think the reason this movie bombed was because they whitewashed the cast. The average moviegoer doesn't give a shit about that- The movie looked joyless and convoluted from the word go.

jett

D-Member
It doesn't have anything to do with ScarJo, whitewashing or animu.

This movie just looked too strange, and its weak trailers never generated enough traction.

Forkball

I'm curious to see how this does in China since it was partially funded by Chinese production companies. It might be getting a big marketing push over there.

I know a lot of people wanted this movie to fail, but it's sad that the movie wasn't as good as it could've been.

Dragonball Evolution
The Last Airbender
Exodus
Stonewall
Gods of Egypt
Ghost in the Shell

When has whitewashing actually benefited a movie?

Doctor Strange but that's mainly people being loyal to Disney and Marvel.
Yes, but would leading this bomb help them at all? I mean, I would have loved to see an Asian actress in the lead role here, but I would prefer primarily if it were a better, more competent project to begin with.

If white people can be in bombs so can Asian Americans. It's not about being in successful movies, it's about getting work as leads.

Gaf has a waaaaay overestimated view on how popular anime is in the US. Especially when you leave the west coast.
It's not even that. This movie just wasn't good. I went in hoping for some decent action and cool cyberpunk visials and I barely got that.

The source material doesnt even matter if the movie is actually good, because most people arent going to see this because it's an anime adaptation. They'd see it because it's that stylish new sci-fi action movie with Scarlett Johansson that was getting good reviews and good word of mouth

Jarmel

Banned
The problem is it's based on some obscure anime no one in America gives a shit about.
GitS is probably the most prominent anime outside of Naruto/One Piece/Bleach/Whatever entry anime you want to pick that would be dogshit in a live action format.

dh4niel

Whitewashing wasn't this movies problem.

The problem is it's based on some obscure anime no one in America gives a shit about.

I mean let's be real here. The only way something like this is going to be successful is cutting that budget in half and being really creative.

Uh, what? It's one of the most well known, popular and influential anime films of all time. It's only second to Akira. The problem is it sucked and had a negative reception from the get go.

Flo_Evans

Anecdotal but my wife did express interest in seeing "that new scarlet johansen movie" (not enough to actually go see it though). She had no idea it was an adaptation of a 20 year old anime.

I don't think you can totally discount star power or whatever. How much worse would the opening be with a no name actress?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They should make a Cowboy Bebop movie and they can recoup their losses as long as they don't fuck it up.

Say goodbye to anime adaptations. lol

Also, after last year, so goodbye to video game adaptions for a long while.

Arkeband

Banned
Whitewashing wasn't this movies problem.

I mean let's be real here. The only way something like this is going to be successful is cutting that budget in half and being really creative.

Reviews definitely do matter, though the elation people are expresing at it bombing seems to be attributing it only to the social faux pas aspect. The script is weak and some of the supporting acting is bad, but the cinematography, CGI and visuals are strong. If you look in the other thread, most people are surprised by how much they liked it in spite of what they've heard about it.

It's entirely possible that this was never going to excite American audiences no matter what it did. It's a fairly obscure anime.

Trailers were just too vague, generic, and uninteresting. The premise and focus of the film was just weird and unclear. The effects and action sequences they teased were pretty by-the-numbers (though the stripper pole fight did seem interesting).

Mainstream audiences does not give 2 fucks about whitewashing. It's weird to see people try and pin the film's failure on that.

I'm on board with this. The movie had literally zero buzz.

The source material didn't have any mainstream recognition, and Scarjo doesn't have the star power to overcome a vague premise and blah trailers.

Casting an Asian actress would have done nothing to make this film a success. It was doomed from the jump.

Depends.
Jessica Henwick was in the PoS Iron Fist series and got a massive bump in notoriety.

Plasmid

Say goodbye to anime adaptations. lol

Also, after last year, so goodbye to video game adaptions for a long while.

K so you're saying the 2030 anime adaptation revival is gonna start with cowboy bebop which will hit 500m domestic?

Fine with me :B

Is the excuse now that casting an Asian lead would have done nothing for this film commercially? Did anyone ever argue that? People were arguing that whitewashing was wrong

Joni

Dragonball Evolution
The Last Airbender
Exodus
Stonewall
Gods of Egypt
Ghost in the Shell

30 Days of Night
Argo
A Beautiful Mind
Apache
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Drive
Lawrence of Arabia
And probably many more in the eyes of Hollywood

Hari Seldon

Dragonball Evolution
The Last Airbender
Exodus
Stonewall
Gods of Egypt
Ghost in the Shell

The biggest White Washing I have ever fucking seen is Marco Polo on Netflix. A show about Kublai Kahn, where ALL of the Kublai stuff was fucking fantastic with great acting and stunning visuals and storytelling. But they put god damn Marco Fucking Polo in there for no fucking reason at all and he ruins everything. It still pisses me off because it is not like we get great high budget shows about Chinese/Mongolian history very often.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Argo
Batman Begins
Doctor Strange
Drive
The King and I
Scarface
The Social Network
Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
West Side Story
Starship Troopers

If you really want to toss in Batman and Batman Returns with Harvey Dent being played by Billy Dee Williams.

Zakalwe

Banned
With the way they were pushing trailers having an introduction read by ScarJo herself asking people to see the movie, it seems they've had concerns for a while.

The poor reviews (43% on RT) didn't help.

Ninjimbo

I'd be okay if Hollywood didn't adapt anime ever again. Nothing in anime/manga is worth adapting if the GitS is the best effort they can summon.

Please kill the Akira adaptation.

Is the excuse now that casting an Asian lead would have done nothing for this film commercially? Did anyone ever argue that? People were arguing that whitewashing was wrong

People are arguing that whitewashing was why this film bombed, which doesn't seem to hold water.

Is whitewashing wrong? Yes. Avoid it whenever possible. But the film still would have tanked. The two issues aren't related.

- J - D -

If white people can be in bombs so can Asian Americans. It's not about being in successful movies, it's about getting work as leads.

Depends.
Jessica Henwick was in the PoS Iron Fist series and got a massive bump in notoriety.

Okay you're saying that any visibility is worthwhile, then? I don't have the metrics on hand to argue otherwise, but I will say that I just don't thnk Asian actors have the same luxury that white actors have of being given multiple chances after a high profile bomb.

Hagi

Gaf has a waaaaay overestimated view on how popular anime is in the US. Especially when you leave the west coast.

I'm not even in the US. This coming from anime means absolutely nothing because the number of people who even know of the source is insignificant to this being a success. If they made and advertised a better product it might not have bombed this hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom