• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell bombs at the box office

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will anime movies don't work as live action movies.

This is not the lesson to be learned, either.

It's been discussed in this week's Box-Office thread (and a little in the previous week's as well) but the notion that the source material really matters all that much to the general audience is typically very overinflated.

This movie didn't land. The reason it didn't land has very little to do with the fact it was adapted from Anime/Manga.

Better than Dragonball Evolution.

If that isn't a success I don't know what is.

Baby steps.

Blaming this on white-washing when the source material is anime is a big stretch lol.

I highly doubt anyone is going "oh it's based on an anime? I'm not seeing that shit." No one really gives a shit what a thing is adapted from. Most people probably don't even know that Arrival was based on a short story.

I also highly doubt whitewashing was the reason people didn't go see it either though. It's a combination of the controversy, the bad marketing, vague trailers, and middling reviews.

Was Ghost in the Shell well known to the point they should have had better sales at the box office? I hadn't personally heard of it until the movie trailer came out.

Within that community it is very well known, probably average outside of it.
however even an amazing straight up shot for shot remake with Japanese actors wouldn't have done well enough to justify the budget.
In the end they didn't know what the hell to do with it besides looking good.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
This is not the lesson to be learned, either.

It's been discussed in this week's Box-Office thread (and a little in the previous week's as well) but the notion that the source material really matters all that much to the general audience is typically very overinflated.

This movie didn't land. The reason it didn't land has very little to do with the fact it was adapted from Anime/Manga.

It didn't land because it didn't look interesting for the mainstream market. At least in my opinion that is. The only reason why I say they won't do anime live action because this isn't the first bomb they had. In a few years they will try again and will probably be different.

Is that surprising? It's Ghost in the Shell. A property like Ghost in the Shell doesn't translate to big box office money in the eyes of the average popcorn eating movie goer. Not in America, at least.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I doubt the movie would have fared any better at the box office if it had an asian actress in the lead role. As others have stated...the source material, genre and poor reviews killed this.
Well about 95% of the conversation about the movie pre-release wouldn't have been dominated by "Hollywood is pulling racist shit again," so you'd think that would be an improvement in their marketing

I doubt the movie would have fared any better at the box office if it had an asian actress in the lead role. As others have stated...the source material, genre and poor reviews killed this.
I agree. However, the go-to excuse for not casting an Asian actress is the claim that the movie would have made back its budget and probably wouldn't have bombed if ScarJo led the film. In this case, the film bombed, so the quality of the film is blamed and not ScarJo herself...

So it's kind of funny that they never gave an Asian actress an opportunity in the casting department when star power alone does not equal success.

- J - D -

If I were a casual moviegoer peeking in, the marketing for this would've confused me and the reviews would've dissuaded me further from going.

I suppose in the end in this specific circumstance Asian American actor hopefuls should be relieved they weren't leading this because it would've stalled their careers before it even really began.

GhaleonEB

So this shouldn't be my first exposure to GitS I take it?

See the original, because it is excellent. I don't know that an order really matters.

Actuals for GitS came int at $18.6m, a small dip from estimates (per Kswiss from the BO thread). What a spectacular flop. Been a while since we saw a belly flop so hard the water burst into flames on impact like this.

y2dvd

What's more likely to happen at this point? That Hollywood will hire minorities or that they will stop making adaptations to sources with minority characters?

Somnid

Movie's concept is not known by the masses, it might as well be an original concept (and the audience that does know it was fickle and not especially happy going in). Movie itself was pretty bad so it didn't gather positive word-of-mouth. Of course it bombed, the whitewashing thing didn't help either.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
My brother-in-law asked if the wife and I wanted to see it with him and my sister over the weekend but I declined, largely because we were busy at the time, but I wasn't overly interested either.

For me it's not the "whitewashing" (which I think is an overreaction in itself anyway) but that the original film does such a good job in telling its story that a live action adaption wasn't necessary in the first place.

Well thank god they didn't hire a no name Asian actress or the movie would have bombed. With Scarlett people know her name will put butts in seats.

Euphor!a

Banned
Is a movie a bomb when it is almost definitely going to make back its budget? Unless that budget isn't counting other costs, looks like it will make some profit.

D i Z

Good. If they aren't willing to do it right they need to back up and do something else. These white actors need to get a clue with their "we're opening doors" bullshit too.

Back to the bushes with the lot o' ya!

If I were a casual moviegoer peeking in, the marketing for this would've confused me and the reviews would've dissuaded me further from going.

I suppose in the end in this specific circumstance Asian American actor hopefuls should be relieved they weren't leading this because it would've stalled their careers before it even really began.

Asian American's acting careers are always stalling. We never give them a chance to do anything. They can't be in bad movies and they can't be in good movies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Dragonball Evolution
The Last Airbender
Exodus
Stonewall
Gods of Egypt
Ghost in the Shell

When has whitewashing actually benefited a movie?

Joni

Is a movie a bomb when it is almost definitely going to make back its budget? Unless that budget isn't counting other costs, looks like it will make some profit.
Budget doesn't count marketing, not all box office money goes to studio. Twice the budget is often used as a benchmark.

See the original, because it is excellent. I don't know that an order really matters.

Actuals for GitS came int at $18.6m, a small dip from estimates (per Kswiss from the BO thread). What a spectacular flop. Been a while since we saw a belly flop so hard the water burst into flames on impact like this.

Great Wall?

Live by Night?

Monster Trucks?

therealjay

Neo Member
Whitewashing wasn't this movies problem.

The problem is it's based on some obscure anime no one in America gives a shit about.

I mean let's be real here. The only way something like this is going to be successful is cutting that budget in half and being really creative.

border

Trailers were just too vague, generic, and uninteresting. The premise and focus of the film was just weird and unclear. The effects and action sequences they teased were pretty by-the-numbers (though the stripper pole fight did seem interesting).

Mainstream audiences does not give 2 fucks about whitewashing. It's weird to see people try and pin the film's failure on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom