• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gerudo Town and its diversity in age, body type, and skin is great (BOTW SPOILERS)

Valahart

Although I found the Voe/Vai lessons a bit controversial, I absolutely noticed all the different body types and that alone made this my favorite part of the game.

Yet another BOTW thread title that casually spoils me.. There'll be nothing left to spoil by the time I get around to playing this game :'[

I was a regular, active, poster in the BotW thread for my entire playthrough of Zelda over the last week and a half and there was like 3 things I was spoiled on and I didn't really care because I wouldn't have found them on my own. I never had a story quest spoiled. I just beat the game yesterday and it was the first time I had ever seen the final boss in action or even saw what it looked like.

The fact that a race that is in basically every 3D Zelda game in some capacity is in this game is not a spoiler. It should be an expectation. There are also Zoras and Gorons in this game. Because there are always Zoras and Gorons in 3D Zelda games except Skyward Sword which didn't have Zoras but who cares about that. So it's not a spoiler that those races are in the game.

Plus this stuff was shown in trailers. So it's just generally assumed to be public knowledge.

Ganon is the final boss. Zelda is in the game. So is Impa. There's no hookshot. Gerudo, Zora, Goron and Rito are in the game and have their own villages. SPOILERS

I've seen the fact that you get the Master Sword be treated as a spoiler. And it's on the box of the game!

Are we talking about Bolson? I don't know, there doesn't really seem to be anything negative about his portrayal. I don't know your sexuality, so I'll just speak generally here, but I feel like there's this false notion amongst straight men who try to view themselves as progressive that ANY portrayal of a gay man as effeminate is a negative stereotype, and I find that line of thinking problematic. I'm not LGBT myself, but from my discussions with gay friends, I've come to understand that some gay men find strength in their identity by rejecting traditional notions of expected masculinity. I don't think there's a problem with a male character, who is implied to possibly be gay, being represented as effeminate as long as it's not presented as something negative, which I don't really see Bolson's portrayal as. Of course, as I said, I'm just a straight dude myself, so my opinions on this topic would probably best be taken with a grain of salt.

I suppose that in an ideal situation, there'd be strong enough LGBT representation across the board in a game like this that you'd have multiple explicitly gay characters who are presented in both effeminate and masculine ways.

VERY well said. As a gay man, I applaud your insight and wish there were more straight guys like you.

Thabass

I think the thing that really sets it apart is after you defeat the Divine Beast is that
you still need to wear the Gerudo clothing to enter the town. Even if you are a man and beat the Divine Beast, you still need to wear the garb to get into the town and see everything. If you don't, they kick you out.

jobrro

I was a regular, active, poster in the BotW thread for my entire playthrough of Zelda over the last week and a half and there was like 3 things I was spoiled on and I didn't really care because I wouldn't have found them on my own. I never had a story quest spoiled. I just beat the game yesterday and it was the first time I had ever seen the final boss in action or even saw what it looked like.

The fact that a race that is in basically every 3D Zelda game in some capacity is in this game is not a spoiler. It should be an expectation. There are also Zoras and Gorons in this game. Because there are always Zoras and Gorons in 3D Zelda games except Skyward Sword which didn't have Zoras but who cares about that. So it's not a spoiler that those races are in the game.

Plus this stuff was shown in trailers. So it's just generally assumed to be public knowledge.

Ganon is the final boss. Zelda is in the game. So is Impa. There's no hookshot. Gerudo, Zora, Goron and Rito are in the game and have their own villages. SPOILERS

I've seen the fact that you get the Master Sword be treated as a spoiler. And it's on the box of the game!

Pretty much. Played through since 3rd of March and was barely spoiled in the OT, and the things I was spoiled on I may not have even found out on a natural play through (and often I had to purposefully click on the spoiler tags to reveal the information). I am thankful for the information granted to me by GAF major spoiler free.

If it was a game I wanted ZERO spoilers for I would stay off of GAF and and most of the internet entirely until I completed it.

ttimebomb

The only thing that sucks is that now they are just a race instead of band of thieves or pirates. I always thought that was really cool.

Moff

I absolutely loved that town as well. It's remarkable with how seemingly little effort Nintendo manages to portray an exotic fantasy culture in a believable way with so little dialogue. Great fun ideas and a lot of attention to detail. I think it's easily the best town in any Nintendo game ever.

The surroundings were spectacular and memorable as well, from the beautiful desert over the sand seals ot the spectacular fights against the Modrugas and the Divine Beast. Very well done.

In terms of Verisimilitude, Gerudo Town Knocks it so hard out of the park it's unreal. I genuinely think the Gerudo Desert of BoTW is one of the best Sequences in any game in the Zelda Series. The emotional spectrum captured by both Gameplay and Story in the area rivals Witcher 3.

Fandangox

I think the thing that really sets it apart is after you defeat the Divine Beast is that
you still need to wear the Gerudo clothing to enter the town. Even if you are a man and beat the Divine Beast, you still need to wear the garb to get into the town and see everything. If you don't, they kick you out.

What I found interesting about this is that there's a few number of Gerudo/Hylians that
realize you are just a dude in disguise, but they don't mind at all and keep the secret. I like the implication that everyone more or less sees that law as something silly, but as a whole everyone still follows it out of tradition or respect to their leader. The only person that even seems to mind is Riju's bodyguard, but you learn from her diary that she also doesn't really care.

13ruce

Banned

Because it would be unfair still, Gerudo's that find a partner leave Gerudo Town. Also they give you their most beloved treasure if you help them out futher.

Nottle

So i have a question, gonna spoiler tag it just in case.

is there a King/ boy Gerudo in the game? Ocarina established that Ganondorf was the king of Gerudo and that only one is born every 100 years.

Weebos

Banned
Because it would be unfair still, Gerudo's that find a partner leave Gerudo Town. Also they give you their most beloved treasure if you help them out futher.

Interestingly
you can wear the Thunder Helm in place of the Vai headpiece. You still need to wear the other two vai pieces.

is there a King/ boy Gerudo in the game? Ocarina established that Ganondorf was the king of Gerudo and that only one is born every 100 years.

There are no male Gerudo in the game that I have found.

There is
a Queen though.

Also,
Calamity Ganon is rumored to have been a male Gerudo originally, which is an obvious reference to OoT Ganondorf.

hotcyder

I'm not even sure he's gay. He keeps talking about leaving to find...I dunno if he said a wife, or just a special someone. And I was thinking, then who is this guy you've been sitting next to the fire with for the whole game? Maybe we're just meant to think they're together, but they're not?

He isn't explicitly gay, just very very camp

Bolson's assistant is dating the girl who hides in the corner in the clothing shop. Bolson and him aren't meant to be implied to be anything other than his assistant.

There is no male Gerudo. Although Ganondorf is mentioned.

13ruce

Banned
I wonder if Hylian x Gerudo childs always are female Gerudo or can be Male Hylians aswell.

I guess both can be possible even a Hylian Girl but a Boy Gerudo would be extremely rare.

Nottle

Interestingly
you can wear the Thunder Helm in place of the Vai headpiece. You still need to wear the other two vai pieces.

There are no male Gerudo in the game that I have found.

There is
a Queen though.

Also,
Calamity Ganon is rumored to have been a male Gerudo originally, which is an obvious reference to OoT Ganondorf.

yeah I met an NPC that told me that about Ganondorf. Perhaps we can assume this works on Last Airbender rules where technically Ganon is still the last male Gerudo, thus another can't be born.

Lijik

I wound up going here first and it captured me so much i spent 30 hours trying to root out everything i could do in the Gerudo region. It feels weird whenever im not in a rocky, sand filled or snowy area now

Are people serious about town names being a spoiler? It's Zelda, why would it be a surprise if Gerudo are in the game?
I bet you could make a thread titled "Lets talk about the swords in Breath of the Wild" and people would still come in like "Ugh these casual spoilers why cant you stick to the OT instead of ruining the surprise that you use a sword for me"

Dude, I upgraded everything in my house and Bolson STILL hangs out on my lawn. Go the hell away dude!

I upgraded everything in my house specifically in order to get him to leave, so it really burns me that he's still there.

Maybe he'll GTFO for
the wedding
. I hope so, not quite there yet.

On topic: plenty of diversity in Gerudo town, yes, but everyone still has great abs.

Nottle

I wonder if Hylian x Gerudo childs always are female Gerudo or can be Male Hylians aswell.

I guess both can be possible even a Hylian Girl but a Boy Gerudo would be extremely rare.
According to Ocarina of Time only one male Gerudo is born and when he dies magically another male will be born. I think since they were the only male they were appointed king and it's implied 2 things happened to birth more Gerudo: either the king Gerudo just fathered children with whomeever OR it's mentioned that the Gerudo would travel to Hyrule in search for "boyfriends" as the game so cutely stated.

I don't think Nintendo would go the darkest route where male children would either be abandoned or killed for being male.

Though I suppose it would be a really interesting image meeting a bunch of strong and tall mixed Hylian and Gerudo men who tried assimilating into the Hylian cultures that would accept them, maybe some are raised by their Goron family, some were raised on a ranch, some learn to live with Zora. I feel like it would lend a sense of realism to the world. Imagine walking to Hateno and you see one guy who stands out just a little bit, maybe he mentions being adopted. Maybe there would be a bit of a stigma against male Gerudo because of the terrible tales about Gannon. A lot could have been done with the idea. But enough fan fix thought.

Xbro

Obviously it turns out to be a gerudo female. Otherwise how would you get more gerudo? It's not like you can have a Gerudo x Gerudo child.

Leatherface

and to think people are actually trying to find a way to be offended by this section of the game with the whole cross dressing thing. Nice post OP. I'm glad you took the time to point this all out. :)

OmegaX

The Sheikah are also basically a brown skin variant.

Though really the most distinct thing about the Sheikah is their eye color, and the Gerudo it's their noses, lol.

There's light and dark skinned variants of all the humans in Zelda, even Hylians.

I just interpret it as being similar to the real world, humans were nomadic and spread across the world evolving to have different shades of skin color.
Don't you mean hair color? All Sheikah have silver hair, even the children.

and to think people are actually trying to find a way to be offended by this section of the game with the whole cross dressing thing. Nice post OP. I'm glad you took the time to point this all out. :)

I don't really think that's fair. A couple of trans writers raising a level-headed response to an aspect of the game, that they ultimately still viewed as a net-positive, is hardly an example of "trying to find a way to be offended."

PSqueak

Banned
Havent gotten to this part yet, but, oh my, they already had gotten me with them buff ladies, but you tell me there are also chubby ones?

Yes, please!

Leatherface

I don't really think that's fair. A couple of trans writers raising a level-headed response to an aspect of the game, that they ultimately still viewed as a net-positive, is hardly an example of "trying to find a way to be offended."

What I observed were people hyper-analyzing the intent of one moment of one part of the game. The fact that it had to be picked apart in an attempt to find fault seems petty to me. I'm all for fighting the good fight but it was asinine in my opinion.

2017031605440900-f1c1xjjsc.jpg

GAB0BwA.jpg

Timeaisis

Just got to this area so I'm avoiding the OP, but I absolutely love everything about Gerudo Town and how their culture is portrayed. Really awesome.

Myriadis

No? I talked to him ages ago and he's still there.

After the marriage you talk to him in Tarry Town and he goes to Hateno. Back there you have to talk to him again and then he leaves. He's definitely not on my lawn anymore.Maybe you need to talk to his assistant first?

Top Bottom