• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gerudo Town and its diversity in age, body type, and skin is great (BOTW SPOILERS)

Cerium

Okay so I love Gerudo Town. I love everything about it, from the aesthetic, to the many hidden secrets, to the characters and their fictional culture.

2017031003550900-f1c1x0kst.jpg

They took the concept of a desert Amazon tribe of only women and put a surprising amount of thought and attention to detail in how such a society might work. You talk to merchants who lament that their jobs in the city keep them from their husbands who are not allowed within. You can discover the classroom where Gerudo learn about the outside world and how to interact (and what to beware of) with men. I could go on and on about the daily lives of these people.

The leader Riju is also an especially memorable character. The concept a child ruler forced into a position of leadership at a time of calamity is approached with the seriousness (and sadness) it deserves. She has a strange sort of regal dignity blended with childish naivete that's best encapsulated in the opening pages of her diary:

Buliara told me today that Mother has passed on and gone to a better place... She said that my mother's death means I am now the chief of the Gerudo people. I wish she'd stayed here, though. I don't see how it can be a better place with us apart.

It is incredibly gratifying to witness Riju step up into her role when she helps you take down Vah Naboris. Afterwards, when it was clear that she'd won the respect and admiration of her worried people, I felt really happy for her.

One thing that struck me in particular is that the young Riju is only one example of a remarkable diversity in age and body types among the all female Gerudo. A insular tribe of Amazons would seem like a natural excuse for homogeneity, but Nintendo went out of their way to show that the average Gerudo on the street is not the statuesque muscle bound warrior woman you find among the guards.

There is also diversity in skin color. Some of the Gerudo are lighter than most, and some (like this child) are darker.

All of this of course contributes to the verisimilitude of the city, making it feel lively and lived in and cosmopolitan. This is something they very easily could have gotten wrong, especially in a colorful fantasy setting. I think it's worth noting here that they did it right, and why the game is better for it.

My favorite area and town in Zelda bar none. I think the developers know they nailed it too.

Yes.

I felt the same way walking through Gerudo town.

I mean I cant figure out for the life of me how to get those damn boots but I spent a lot of time in that town.

Trago

Yep, just finished the Divine Beast over there. Spent a good while talking to ever NPC and doing all the side quests. The classroom is my absolute favorite lol.

Still don't like how Gerudo are considered almost a separate race.

Like let's have a representative of the rock people, bird people, fish people and then these brown women.

Although it's obviously most relatable with human-like characters, I also appreciated how there were even Zora with different skin tones. Black Hylians were also great.

The biggest thing for me is that it felt really natural and not forced.

jph139

I went to the desert first and, honestly, it's kind of spoiling the rest of the game for me... the Rito region just doesn't compare.

Historically the Gerudo have all sort of been generic warrior women, so it's cool to see a society with them as guards, traders, scholars, drunks, kids, and so on. Some are goofy, some are witty, some are serious. I love the whiny guards-in-training and the melon lady on top of the walls. There's a million sidequests to do and so much natural beauty all over.

Riju and Urbosa are both competing for my favorite character so far. Honestly I'd take a whole game set there, forget about Hyrule.

Firemind

You are barred from entering the town even though you tempered a towering mechanical beast from destroying the town and its people.

Bolson and that guy you got the womens clothes from. Their "voices" are like the typical "gay character" anime voices you hear a lot.

What I like about Bolson is the role he plays. In OOT and MM (and I'm sure another 1 or 2 games) there are construction workers and then "The Boss" who is usually a masculine, muscular character. When these pretty traditionally "masc" construction workers told me to talk to the boss I was expecting the usual. I then saw Bolson and was ecstatic. You have a character who is in a typically masculine role and then is also genuinely respected by his employees. He definitely isn't a joke in the context of the game.

You are barred from entering the town even though you tempered a towering mechanical beast from destroying the town and its people.
Rules are rules, nobody is above the law, we can't start making exceptions. Next are you going to have all women asking to let their husbands in.

King_Moc

Banned

Like let's have a representative of the rock people, bird people, fish people and then these brown women.

They breed with the everyday Hylians, as there are basically no men in their society, so they're not really that separate.

RRockman

Banned
Are you talking about Bolson? I don't see him as a joke. He's awesome!

If only he and his employee would get off my lawn. :/

The Geurdo city thing is pretty short sided in universe though. What would they do if they get a guy? Kick him out? I almost wish Dorf had his human form just to see how they'll handie it.

Is gerudo town the greatest city in any game ever?
thank you for not making a topic like that but I agree, it's pretty great. I Judy despise that you can save the world from ruin and still be barred from entering.

Uhh.

If they were all considered Hylian then the complaint would be sure the Hylian champ just happens to be a white male.

Honestly its better that the Gerudo get their own representative. Not just because they are considered a seperate race.

NotLiquid

I definitely love how they finally made the Gerudo something more evident of being a well developed race than prior games. In Ocarina of Time, despite their significance in story and interesting background, their depiction made them feel like they were more of a warrior clan, similar to the Yiga, rather than a race of varied people. Breath of the Wild in general has some of the best worldbuilding in terms of characters and various races, I was really enamored with the Gerudo the moment I set foot in the town.

The Geurdo city thing is pretty short sided in universe though. What would they do if they get a guy? Kick him out? I almost wish Dorf had his human form just to see how they'll handie it.

The same side quest that
gets bolson off your lawn is the same side quests where a gerudo woman leaves to marry a man.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Bolson and that guy you got the womens clothes from. Their "voices" are like the typical "gay character" anime voices you hear a lot.

Is the guy you get the clothes from gay, tho? All we know about him is that he was able to get into the town. The voice might be himself doing a higher voice to more easily pass off as a woman, even to non-Gerudos so his cover stays intact.

It's a shame how much the other towns (with Divine Beasts) suck in comparison. Zora's Domain looks cool but it isn't nearly as lively. I didn't like Goron Town at all

Wow. These details seem really impressive, actually. I watched a friend of mine run around in this town earlier yesterday and I was fascinated by what I saw of the way the town was designed.

They're as distinct as most fantasy races...I don't think they can be mistaken for being Hylian. You could consider it an issue that they're all women but I don't see it as being that different from elves being tall with pointy ears as a distinction from humans or dwarves. And I think they're the only race in Zelda with their own language that we get a glimpse of.

Hero

Dude, I upgraded everything in my house and Bolson STILL hangs out on my lawn. Go the hell away dude!

At least give me the freaking Thunder Helm!

You can get the Thunder Helm permanently. :)

Kthulhu

The Gerudo champion is probably my favorite personality wise. She's also got the best performance in the game IMO.

The Gerudo champion is probably my favorite personality wise. She's also got the best performance in the game IMO.

I agree. The flashback where she
decides to wake up Zelda with thunder is absolutely hilarious. I got slightly lesbian vibes from that scene but that's also me as a gay man trying to make everything a "gay thing."

Majukun

still trying to get the thunder mask but I don't know what mission I still have to do in the city... i roamed it so much looking for quests without results that I kinda had to go do something else.

if anything, finally we have an explanation on how a tribe like the Gerudo can work.

Berordn

Yeah, I liked all the towns in BOTW but Gerudo Town was the first time I actually felt like I was walking into a city.

That and I kind of adore how the entire race has crippling dating anxiety.

decides to wake up Zelda with thunder is absolutely hilarious. I got slightly lesbian vibes from that scene but that's also me as a gay man trying to make everything a "gay thing."

I kind of thought the same, especially with the way she referred to her afterwards.

But I might also be doing the "gay thing" thing.

bomblord1

Banned
still trying to get the thunder mask but I don't know what mission I still have to do in the city... i roamed it so much looking for quests without results that I kinda had to go do something else.

if anything, finally we have an explanation on how a tribe like the Gerudo can work.

The one quest most people miss and the one I missed is the
polluter quest. Around midday a child gerudo girl will go to an empty lot on the West side of town and complain that there is trash constantly piling up in an area she wants to plant a garden

RRockman

Banned

Seen this around a lot but I still think it's more of a motherly teasing vibe especially considering later scenes where
her last wish involved telling Zelda she was PROUD of her and the fact Zelda's mother died while she was young made me think she probably looked up to Urbosa.

The same side quest that
gets bolson off your lawn is the same side quests where a gerudo woman leaves to marry a man.

Yes, but I didn't know that talking to them brings them back. Now I'm kinda screwed.

Irminsul

Savaaq!

Yes, it's a really great place. I mean, it has details such as an actual cooling system for the houses. And that classroom is hilarious. I haven't seen all towns yet, but it'll probably turn out to be my favourite as well.

Savorq!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Like it too, but still wonder why the "gay" characters in Zelda BOTW are still more used as a Joke or as dragqueens.

Bolson isn't a joke as he's a self made business man, has the respect of his employees, can write a catchy tune, isn't a afraid to break social standard by being a construction worker, wearing pink trouser and a pink headband.

Majukun

The one quest most people miss and the one I missed is the
polluter quest. Around midday a child gerudo girl will go to an empty lot on the West side of town and complain that there is trash constantly piling up in an area she wants to plant a garden
did that one, still nothing :(
is the one about the girl
looking for a boyfriend in the faron regions
considered one of the missions you need? I still have not found her.

Berordn

The rules seem to change when male Gerudo are born. Like the secret shop sells forbidden male clothing, but why would they bother ever making any clothes for guys to begin with? I also vaguely remember Nabooru referring to Ganondorf as their king at the time, so that might have something to do with it as well.

But it really just makes me want to see them flesh it out further. I want a game where Link is born Gerudo, now.

bomblord1

Banned
did that one, still nothing :(
is the one about the girl
looking for a boyfriend in the faron regions
considered one of the missions you need? I still have not found her.

Only quests required are the one immediately inside the town. It's worth noting you have to actually inspect the Thunder Helm after this and ask for it again you don't get an update telling you you are done.

Off the top of my head the ones I did
Polluter Quest
Molduga Medicine Quest
Save the Gerudo Guard (again) Quest
Sand Seal Race Quest
Enter The Gerudo Secret Club Quest

Top Bottom