• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gerudo Town and its diversity in age, body type, and skin is great (BOTW SPOILERS)

Plasmid

I loved finally getting in. Running around seeing the different stalls along with the dialogue for everyone was awesome. It was nice after playing and seeing normalish LoZ towns / villages.

NewGame

Banned
I love how grounded it feels, other than the class room of 'how to interact with men' there really isn't anything that makes it feel different to a mixed gender town. I love hanging out at the bar.

Does anyone know if you can get in the town with any means other than cross-dressing?
The leader of the soldiers offers you a position but I couldn't seem to unlock it
Gotta fight that matriarchy!

Xbro

Something's wrong with this image
8OpEKDw.jpg

Why are the arrows fully stocked? How do you go into a town and not buy the entire stock of arrows?

sfried

Gordon City is easily the most disappointing village in the game. Don't get your hopes up too much. The Gorons are charming but it's even more sparse than the Rito village. Also I like the Tabantha region better in general.

Yeah, the Goron "Town" is pretty sparse , but it really feels more like a diggin site then a full fledged settlement, which fits the motiff given how the other Gorons are pretty much digging all day. Most of the other NPCs are located on the Northern Mining Site and Lower Mining Site regions.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Even the Zora town was diverse. Red, green, black, all kinds of Zora. They even had Hammerhead Shark Zora!

Same for the Ritos. Their leader was a rotund owl, and they had all sorts of different colored feathers, body types, and hairstyles.

Gorons are all big fat sumo dudes though. But even they had varying skin colors.

Vitacat

Just wanna say, the topic title is slightly spoilerish. But eh, only very slightly. But yeah, I just met some people from there today and it is cool to see the diverse human people.

If I had to rank the civilizations here is what I'd say:

1. Gerudo City - definitely the most fully realized town. I love the characters, culture and size of it.

2. Hateno village- I love the music to this town. It is a beautiful village. Various side quests and a good size.

3. Zoras Domain- Another beautiful location that has a lot of npcs, shops and you can really learn about their history if you explore the nearby area. There are tablets all over Lanayru that detail various parts of the Zora's history.

4. Korok Forest- I really enjoy the music in the region. There are 4 shrine quests that the Koroks help you through, Hestu, the Master Sword, Great Deku Tree, and a handful of NPC Koroks with sidequests to complete.

5. Kakariko Village- I like the Asian inspired motif to the village and there are several sidequests you can do in town but there isn't a ton there.

6. Rito Village- Rito Village's music and Hateno's song are my top two tracks in the game. I also loved the visuals and concept of it but there are what 10 Rito NPCs in town? Not much to do in the town either.

I've spent 40-50 hours on this game and I have yet to go to the Eldin province and see Goron City. It's actually the only area that I haven't explored as last time I was exploring Faron and Lake Hylia regions. So I can't say how I'll feel about that region.

I believe you're missing
towns.

Hannibal

But with birds

Nope.
You've gotta eat another member of your own species to be a cannibal.
"Bird" is a taxonomic class just like "mammal".
Calling the Rito lady a cannibal because she wants poultry is like saying a human lady (mammal) is a cannibal because she wants some beef (cow = mammal)

I'm honestly surprised that a lot of people don't seem to comprehend this idea.
It's like the Pluto and Goofy thing...nobody seems to think that maybe Pluto is to Goofy what chimps are to humans, totally seperate species that belong to the same larger group.
:p

These are the best the Gerudo have been represented in a Zelda game. The fact they're not mere bad guys following Ganon like in OOT or that no they're fucking extinct like in the other games goes a long way towards fleshing them out.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
These are the best the Gerudo have been represented in a Zelda game. The fact they're not mere bad guys following Ganon like in OOT or that no they're fucking extinct like in the other games goes a long way towards fleshing them out.
They were neutral/good in FSA too.

But they haven't been in very many games... I was glad to see them again. Kind of upset they seem to have dropped the "male Gerudo every 100 years" thing. He didn't even have to be a champion or even in the town, I would have just liked to see one that wasn't an ambitious evil overlord like Ganondorf.

Schlomo

Might be a translation error then. Or I misread it or remeber it wrong, but I know that I was suprised back then when I read it.

She says "we Hylian vaai need to stick together, hehehe" in German, so she's just jokingly telling him she won't give away his disguise.

Mista Koo

I mean, they aren't promoting that view point, I'm actually fine with the fact that some characters may hold bigoted views and whatnot, makes the world seem a bit more real instead of a "everyone gets along" vibe.
True, but I don't think he was actually meant to come off as racist. I just think they didn't think it through.

Kind of upset they seem to have dropped the "male Gerudo every 100 years" thing. He didn't even have to be a champion or even in the town, I would have just liked to see one that wasn't an ambitious evil overlord like Ganondorf.

My assumption is that there can only be one Gerudo male around at any one time, and Ganondorf takes up that spot now forever. If he could somehow be defeated permanently, a new male Gerudo could be born.

sonto340

They were neutral/good in FSA too.

But they haven't been in very many games... I was glad to see them again. Kind of upset they seem to have dropped the "male Gerudo every 100 years" thing. He didn't even have to be a champion or even in the town, I would have just liked to see one that wasn't an ambitious evil overlord like Ganondorf.
After seeing how ganon died turned out I could see them putting a male gerudo to death.
Either way it would have been interesting to see the dynamic a male gerudo could have brought to this game and it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity.

OmegaX

After seeing how ganon died turned out I could see them putting a male gerudo to death.
Either way it would have been interesting to see the dynamic a male gerudo could have brought to this game and it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity.
Ganondorf was brought up by 2 literal witches. How did they expect him to turn out?

Also, Ganondorf did nothing wrong:

Xbro

My assumption is that there can only be one Gerudo male around at any one time, and Ganondorf takes up that spot now forever. If he could somehow be defeated permanently, a new male Gerudo could be born.

Four Swords Adventures featured a new Gerudo king.

Chaos17

There are no female Gorons.

My theory is Gorons have no gender at all. They probably had no concept of gender at all until they met Hylians and them calling each other "brother" likely lead the Hylians to refer to them as male and it just stuck.

I swear I saw a mama, papa and child goron sleep at night in goron city in their house... o_O'

Drewboy64

It's funny, I went to Rito Village after Gerudo, and I thought Rito was cooler at first, at least aesthetically... but then I realized how much less there was to do versus Gerudo. Ah well

I clicked on this thread to say PLEASE stop posting location spoilers for BOTW in thread titles.

I've seen people post these a couple of times and it's making me want to stay away from GAF.

I get ya.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Nope.
You've gotta eat another member of your own species to be a cannibal.
"Bird" is a taxonomic class just like "mammal".
Calling the Rito lady a cannibal because she wants poultry is like saying a human lady (mammal) is a cannibal because she wants some beef (cow = mammal)

I'm honestly surprised that a lot of people don't seem to comprehend this idea.
It's like the Pluto and Goofy thing...nobody seems to think that maybe Pluto is to Goofy what chimps are to humans, totally seperate species that belong to the same larger group.
:p
Humans don't eat primates though.... well, some, but that's a tiny minority.

Luigiv

Humans don't eat primates though.... well, some, but that's a tiny minority.

This rebuttal makes no sense, it's a pure false equivalence. Toxanomically birds are a class whilst primates are an order. Different species of birds can be just as far removed from one another as humans are from cows.

And anyway, weird human hang ups aside, it's only canabilism if they're of the same species. Nothing wrong with birds eating other birds or primates eating other primates. It's a perfectly natural thing.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Finished the Gerudo divine quest arc today, and yeah the town is pretty great. Great atmosphere, interesting NPC's (I did notice all the diversity), fantastic present day and past champion characters that leaves me wanting more.

Still have a few things to do in town, but I need to take a break.

Nanashrew

Banned
I love how the series has evolved and expanded the culture of these factions of people and species.

Gerudo is definitely a favorite, as is Zora. But I also like finally seeing more than one Shiekah tribes member outside of Impa or whoever. I can finally see a whole town of them and their culture, as well as their defectors who rejected their ways and loyalties.

But back on Gerudo, they've had the largest change to their culture. I do like how they were a simple band of thieves but over the millenniums developed to be more than that and adopted new ways of life and developed their culture while also remaining traditional in their ways.

BotW really push that narrative that it's been thousands of years. Culture can change so fast in 100 years, 10,000 or more had empires crumble and fall and cultures die or rebuilt. You can also tell there was more to the Gerudo people but much of that knowledge is lost to the sands of time. I do wonder how far in the future this game really is.

Majukun

I love how grounded it feels, other than the class room of 'how to interact with men' there really isn't anything that makes it feel different to a mixed gender town. I love hanging out at the bar.

Does anyone know if you can get in the town with any means other than cross-dressing?
The leader of the soldiers offers you a position but I couldn't seem to unlock it
Gotta fight that matriarchy!
don't think you can, BUT

after I already entered I noticed that the back of the throne room is open.. so i wonder if you can sneak up there and meet directly reiju without cross-dressing

Platy

For a town with such a diversity it made the trans erasure so much more visible

But I guess for a japanese game JUST trans erasure is a high point for trans representation =P

Berordn

Four Swords Adventures featured a new Gerudo king.

The 100 years thing is probably just a myth they've developed to downplay the fact that they're just genetically predisposed to birthing females, anyway. It's just so rare that it may as well be every 100 years.

For a town with such a diversity it made the trans erasure so much more visible

But I guess for a japanese game JUST trans erasure is a high point for trans representation =P

Where's the erasure? Seems like nobody's actually trans in BOTW, there's just a lot of cross dressing.

Berordn

I have no idea whats going on in this picture.

edit: I guess I should be clear that when I said that I legitimately didn't recognize any sort of erasure because I'm generally ignorant to what it encompasses for trans folks. I wasn't aware of any characters that actually were trans and were written out.

ZOONAMI

Uhh.

If they were all considered Hylian then the complaint would be sure the Hylian champ just happens to be a white male.

Honestly its better that the Gerudo get their own representative. Not just because they are considered a seperate race.

Uhhh, that is kind of a valid complaint of Link? I guess you could argue he is a fair skinned Japanese male? I guess it doesn't really matter either way, but I do agree with the other poster that the Gerudo don't need to be presented as some distinct entity on par with fish bird and rock people.

Top Bottom