• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Is 'Grounded in Diversity' Says Director as Players Praise LGBT, Disability Representation

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I demand they add this flag in celebration of my ... errr... choices.

hIfeFTb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

quickwhips

So all those flags are pride flags? So its like your shooting people because they are pansexual or something? The world has gotten to fucking weird.

Disability options are great. Kudos to Microsoft for that.

As for diversity, yes, they are right too. It's very original and innovative having a strong female character in the leading role. Who might have guessed that.

but what is a strong female? (Dracula Voice)

basically chicks that act like men. Which to me tells the normal ladies out there that you’re not “Strong” if you don’t have this type of attitude or physical strength.

I hate the gender modifier “Strong”. It’s like the people to put solid in front of 30 fps to make them feel better.

Fei Fong Wong

Neo Member
I wonder what ratio of their audience will notice or even care about these flags? How about the amount that actually use them? It would be interesting to see what the numbers are. Of course, it is virtue signaling and righteous for the person to be so caring to the plight of the oppressed. Will these flags will be popular as a result?

Stimpak

My theory is The fertility program in gears was actually a way to get trans women to have children, Anya wasn't sterile, she was born a man.

You heard it here first folks

I knew it was too far fetched for there to be enough women to count on one hand. They’re all dudes.

Greedings

Disabled people? Lmao what’s there going to be? A wheel chair bound character? An enemy with Down’s syndrome?

Petrae

No video game company today can just do shit like this without the chest thumping and self-congratulating, which is proof positive that shit like this is pure pandering.

Good for them, I guess, for shoving this down everyone’s throats. I don’t want to care about it, and I wouldn’t if it wasn’t made into such a huge fucking deal that everyone is supposed to care about.

You’re gay? Fine. Trans? Sure. Some other alphabet soup letter that I don’t understand? You do you. But unless I ask, I neither expect or request that you venture that shit forth. You’re a person (which I guess offends some people), just like me. I don’t need the details of your sexual preference, and foisting that information unnecessarily upon me when I don’t know you (or want to know you) is fucking awkward.

stickkidsam

I'm glad the people making this game know deep down, Gears of War isn't about shooting monsters or blasting bugs. It's all about flaunting your fuck flag.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Serious* question:

How many of you fine folks deal with this identitarian stuff in their daily lives? Speaking for myself, it never crops up. My world does not appear to have changed to become one populated by those of the LBTQIA+ persuasion who need protection from the old hetero-normative model of society.

Most women I know still aren't big on gaming, and I'm not surrounded by people for whom all this is relevant, let alone crucial.

That being the case, is this actually any more than a marketing fad?

I agree that being lectured at by these self-righteous goons is annoying, but I'm starting to wonder if just ignoring them isn't going to be the fastest and surest way to ensure their rapid departure. Like trolls their bread and butter is gathering attention, and that's where their "power" lies. I doubt "Diversity" is actually going to prove to be a sales driver long-term, so its going to burn-out as soon as the powers that be realize there's in fact no money in cultivating that demographic.

Just a thought.

*Sorry kinda shit-faced right now, but struck by the dichotomy between the world in which I live, and that which I experience via the internet.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Serious* question:

How many of you fine folks deal with this identitarian stuff in their daily lives? Speaking for myself, it never crops up. My world does not appear to have changed to become one populated by those of the LBTQIA+ persuasion who need protection from the old hetero-normative model of society.

Most women I know still aren't big on gaming, and I'm not surrounded by people for whom all this is relevant, let alone crucial.

That being the case, is this actually any more than a marketing fad?

I agree that being lectured at by these self-righteous goons is annoying, but I'm starting to wonder if just ignoring them isn't going to be the fastest and surest way to ensure their rapid departure. Like trolls their bread and butter is gathering attention, and that's where their "power" lies. I doubt "Diversity" is actually going to prove to be a sales driver long-term, so its going to burn-out as soon as the powers that be realize there's in fact no money in cultivating that demographic.

Just a thought.

*Sorry kinda shit-faced right now, but struck by the dichotomy between the world in which I live, and that which I experience via the internet.

You have to remember the area of the world these companies are home based out of, as well as how infused they are with social media and that vocal minority false paradigm of society.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don’t care what preference you like, as long as you’re not a shit person that forces values then that’s okay.

Top Bottom