• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheddar: Activision Blizzard First Diversity Report Shows Continuing Lack of Gender Representation

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Andy Samberg GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think about 7 years ago I gave up my foolish dream of wanting to get into the games industry. Good call! Now I just make them by myself and don't have to answer to anyone.
Good call.

Anyone who has never been a manager thinks the hardest part of the job is the job tasks itself.

Every manager will tell you the hardest part of the job is managing idiots. Especially ones who always seem to have a reason not to show up, or bring their personal issues to work.

Way back when my brother managed a team working on a production line (mostly old ladies who were lifers), we'd have family dinner at my parents place every now and then. When we'd talk jobs (I wasnt a manager yet, as I just had a normal office role), I asked him how it's going. The first thing I'd think is managing a manufacturing line would be pressure because you get the stereotypical idea that if the line comes to a halt, every boss in the plant fumes yelling at people to get it running again.

It's not that at all.

The production work was fine. It was being needed to handle personal home life issues across any of the 30 people in behind closed door meetings as if my bro is some kind of guidance counselor or psychologist. Totally unrelated to work.

That was a wake up call.

Last edited:

SLESS

https://cheddar.com/media/activisio...hows-continuing-lack-of-gender-representation

https://activisionblizzard.substack.com/p/diversity-equity-and-inclusion-2022

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F35411ad4-b1e6-4f77-9f8b-48494e6a8b2d_794x439.png

(Press Pause, a series of roundtable discussions that create a safe space for courageous conversations not typically had in the workplace and shine a light on the experiences of our employees from different backgrounds)

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fb3ffa786-800c-4ea1-8581-e650b258cfe6_1348x573.jpeg

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F7c787811-6b5c-401d-9f92-b7a1482eac76_1443x658.png

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fda5c1a03-40d0-46bc-9c2f-60fedfa5aa5c_1443x658.png

So, I find it interesting how theirs such a race to implement these types of programs, Activision thought a good diversity program for safe-space discussions involving different backgrounds including LGBT, should be named "press pause", which has got to be one of the funniest slip ups I've seen yet.

Also "own the" is apparently a male-centric set of words. I guess women can't own things anymore.

I'm assuming the goal of Activision is to reach the Xbox Indie diversity levels as shown here,

Fr8RkL0aEAI2HS-

Yes, I believe Activision is going to need more time before they can reach diversity of this level. Still some ways to go.

Also, this is the first time I'm hearing about Textio, it must be a newer corporate application to prevent offending people, but I think that if "own the" is an offensive set of words, it may be going a bit far imo.
I didn’t realise “ugly” was a diversity metric but that picture confirms it.

BootsLoader

Banned
What does a company need to do to be ok with those standards? Like, for real?

Do men need to cut their “trallala”? They’re “ding ding dong”? Represent women? How?? A woman is a woman, how else can someone represent a woman? Maybe I’m a boomer who fails to understand todays standard.

Non binary people? Who are they? How can someone be non binary? Suddenly they don’t trust science which says that there are only 2 genders?

In the end, why a company needs to comply with all this? Do straight people scream they are straight. In the end, isn’t all this racist for straight people?

Teletraan1

Banned
Everyone should have equal opportunity but social engineering should never be applied to anything. Let people decide what they want to get into and hire the best people for the job. Hiring people for immutable traits is a recipe for failure.

zcaa0g

Banned
One, there are a lot less women interested in video games than men and there is nothing wrong with that.

Cheddar could also say...

Cheddar: Nail Salon Diversity Report Shows Continuing Lack of Gender Representation​

Well no fucking shit! Most men are not interested in painting their nails or being in that business because of that!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One, there are a lot less women interested in video games than men and there is nothing wrong with that.

Cheddar could also say...

Cheddar: Nail Salon Diversity Report Shows Continuing Lack of Gender Representation​

Well no fucking shit! Most men are not interested in painting their nails or being in that business because of that!
No doubt. Out of all my friends and fam members who have kids, I dont think I have ever heard any of say their babysitter or their daycare centre with staff members being men. It's probably 99% women.

Shodai

Can someone define for me what the optimal mix of skin color, disability, what's between (or not) your legs, religion, country of origin, etc are? Also, should this be correlated by country, region, and state?

I'm yet to understand this concept, and no one seems to have a logical answer. Also, I do not understand what values diversity brings to a software project, and no one can answer that either. What skills/values/etc do different people bring to the table and how do they correlate to making money and making things more successful? To date, any of these topics in the workplace, in my experience, do not have any correlation in financials. I am all for making things better, but I sure could use some RL examples where this value is quantified.

Last edited:
I dont think I have ever heard any of say their babysitter or their daycare centre with staff members being men. It's probably 99% women.

Ironically, bias and discrimination is why there's basically no (relatively) male babysitters or daycare center staff compared to the past.

But you see diversity is only allowed to go in ONE direction.

Can someone define for me what the optimal mix of skin color, disability, what's between (or not) your legs, religion, country of origin, etc are?

Decapitated Moorish Scientist with Athletes Foot, wearing an indian feathered hat, with one crunch, and freckles on one arm.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can someone define for me what the optimal mix of skin color, disability, what's between (or not) your legs, religion, country of origin, etc are? Also, should this be correlated by country, region, and state?

I'm yet to understand this concept, and no one seems to have a logical answer. Also, I do not understand what values diversity brings to a software project, and no one can answer that either. What skills/values/etc do different people bring to the table and how do they correlate to making money and making things more successful? To date, any of these topics in the workplace, in my experience, do not have any correlation in financials. I am all for making things better, but I sure could use some RL examples where this value is quantified.
Nobody knows. And everyone has a different answer.

So if someone wants to be discriminatory against skill set and hire based on looks, the US demographic split is this according to wiki. In western countries the gender split is around 50/50 or perhaps 49/51 so thats close enough to be a tie.

As of 2020, White Americans are the racial majority, with non-Hispanic whites representing 57.8% of the population. Hispanic and Latino Americans are the largest ethnic minority, comprising 18.7% of the population, while Black or African Americans are the second largest racial minority, making up 12.1%.[7]

So to simplify it:
White 58%
Latino 19%
Black 12%
Asian and everyone else 11%

Someone who wants the population split would want a workforce split as above.

But then you got the absolute pie slice split way which the above would be 25% each.

Then you got people who'll do the "Well, according to history, white people and men got it too good, so it's now retribution time and minorities and women should get over-represented to play catch up"

So take your pick, if you wanted to make a decision hiring people based on looks than talent.

Last edited:

Shodai

Nobody knows. And everyone has a different answer.

So if someone wants to be discriminatory against skill set and hire based on looks, the US demographic split is this according to wiki. In western countries the gender split is around 50/50 or perhaps 49/51 so thats close enough to be a tie.

As of 2020, White Americans are the racial majority, with non-Hispanic whites representing 57.8% of the population. Hispanic and Latino Americans are the largest ethnic minority, comprising 18.7% of the population, while Black or African Americans are the second largest racial minority, making up 12.1%.[7]

So to simplify it:
White 58%
Latino 19%
Black 12%
Asian and everyone else 11%

Someone who wants the population split would want a workforce split as above.

But then you got the absolute pie slice split way which the above would be 25% each.

Then you got people who'll do the "Well, according to history, white people and men got it too good, so it's now retribution time and minorities and women should get over-represented to play catch up"

So take your pick, if you wanted to make a decision hiring people based on looks than talent.
So, what it boils down to is what you look like? That sounds like the real definition of racism.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So, what it boils down to is what you look like? That sounds like the real definition of racism.
Yup.

It's an odd thing too because if discrimination based on looks and gender are supposed to be so taboo and illegal, it's really not. Because everyone can do it. It just comes down to not getting caught or someone pursing legal action.

All any company has to do is say their discriminatory policy doesn't help white guys and it's fair game. Nobody will fight back because if someone does out them it'll make them look like scrooge and white supporters. And heck, why would government care? They do the same thing. Hiring quotas, approving government/supplier contracts only if the company has met quota/demographics splits, school grants and affirmative action only for minorities etc....

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Non-binary people are 0.000000001% of the population. That they have 1% of them at the company is a huge overrepresentation. They should hire fewer.

And lmfao at measuring race retention. Jesus christ.

Nonbinary doesn't exist. It's made-up bullshit by loons.

Blizz has been a joke for a long while now and any talent they used to have are either neutered or quit/retired/fired.

Maori

Neo Member
Including people of all colors and genders, excluding people with different opinions and beliefs.

Such is the way of the woke..

Frexerik88

Neo Member
Honestly im surprised the whole management team doesn't just declare that they are now Women, should solve all their problems.

BbMajor7th

Modern Marxism.
Not sure what any of this has to do with ownership of the means of production, uneven distribution of wealth, or the disparity between profit and labour. Looks more like publicly-traded corporate bodies massaging their PR image with hot-button socio-political gestures that are relatively cheap to implement but go over well in the media and nicely distract from more expensive-to-address issues of environmental impact, tax avoidance, or labour exploitation.

Marxism is about protecting and uplifting the working classes, who benefit very little from initiatives like this - in fact, you never hear corporations talking about wanting that kind of diversity, they just want a more technicolored variety of middle-class, metropolitan, university-educated, image-conscious neo-liberals among their workforce.

Sarah Bond as head of ABK soon.

MS has lot of amazingly talented women who will lead and improve culture in ABK after acquisition is completed

Hudo

I think about 7 years ago I gave up my foolish dream of wanting to get into the games industry. Good call! Now I just make them by myself and don't have to answer to anyone.
Your pay is most likely also better. I have also given up on getting into the games industry.

https://cheddar.com/media/activisio...hows-continuing-lack-of-gender-representation

https://activisionblizzard.substack.com/p/diversity-equity-and-inclusion-2022

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F35411ad4-b1e6-4f77-9f8b-48494e6a8b2d_794x439.png

(Press Pause, a series of roundtable discussions that create a safe space for courageous conversations not typically had in the workplace and shine a light on the experiences of our employees from different backgrounds)

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fb3ffa786-800c-4ea1-8581-e650b258cfe6_1348x573.jpeg

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F7c787811-6b5c-401d-9f92-b7a1482eac76_1443x658.png

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fda5c1a03-40d0-46bc-9c2f-60fedfa5aa5c_1443x658.png

So, I find it interesting how theirs such a race to implement these types of programs, Activision thought a good diversity program for safe-space discussions involving different backgrounds including LGBT, should be named "press pause", which has got to be one of the funniest slip ups I've seen yet.

Also "own the" is apparently a male-centric set of words. I guess women can't own things anymore.

I'm assuming the goal of Activision is to reach the Xbox Indie diversity levels as shown here,

Fr8RkL0aEAI2HS-

Yes, I believe Activision is going to need more time before they can reach diversity of this level. Still some ways to go.

Also, this is the first time I'm hearing about Textio, it must be a newer corporate application to prevent offending people, but I think that if "own the" is an offensive set of words, it may be going a bit far imo.
Clown World is in full effect everywhere. The fact that someone is worrying about genders and diversity as opposed to making an actual good game is all you need to know. The world has truly gone MAD.

StueyDuck

people get paid to come up with all this.

don't think i've ever walked into an office and thought to myself "My BosS loOks LIke Me, TheReForE i WorK HarD NOw!"

don't we all just try and avoid eye contact and just get our shit done so we can get home and live life?

Top Bottom