• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dove partners with Unreal Engine and others to launch 'Real Virtual Beauty', to reflect real-world diversity in video games.

Elginer

https://www.gamesradar.com/beauty-p...games-to-change-the-game-and-boost-diversity/

https://www.dove.com/uk/stories/about-dove/dove-gaming.html

dove_gaming_hero_2_recrop.001-88679048-jpg.jpg.ulenscale.2048x960.jpg
That’s one misfit ass looking group of people if I ever seen one. Did they just go on a search for weird looking fucking people except for wheels there?

Why do people believe that media marketed towards a particular demographic should be diverse in the first place? Shouldn't the focus be on making something that is as appealing as possible to the target market? That's how things used to be done. One of the biggest mistakes being made in entertainment right now is the belief that increased diversity will attract a broader audience. That every game or tv show should appeal equally to everyone. It sounds plausible, but is simply not realistic. For many, we have ended up with diluted offerings so far removed from the source material its a wonder the creators didn't just make their own thing and avoid the inevitable ocean of fan backlash as a result of the changes. I guess my point is that concessions in the form of diversity rarely appear to produce a superior product. In fact, the opposite could easily be argued. Instead of forcing diversity into every IP, why not cater to those markets with a targeted product? I'll answer my own question, the reason is that the audience is not there. That such a thing would not be profitable.

To focus on gaming, let's take a game predominantly played by men. Fifa 22 as we have the data. I don't think it would surprise anyone that less than 4% of players have played a woman's game in Fifa 22 (source). Think of the squandered resources, accumulative dev-time associated in the creation of accurate female in-game models, animations and clubs. The marketing investment, media focus and optics - all for a measly 4% of players (male and female) that have actually played a women's game.

Why is the idea that people typically consume the media that interests them so unfathomable? It is undeniable that although there is overlap, men and women typically oscillate towards vastly different offerings. Is it not clear, even in the face of tremendous societal pressure, that traditionally demographically focused mediums may not be all that interesting to a group traditionally not interested in that thing?

Last edited:
It's not like there are a ton of games with a character creator or anything.

I'm all for more creation options.

But being able to give my character down syndrome? Or have them ride around in a wheelchair?

Lmao no thanks, just make a separate game that appeals to those people.

anothertech

What is Dove on about? It is my experience that gamers with the right tools in character creation have been able to create the most lifelike realistic representation for decades. Nazi Feminists will fit right in with a little work in most cases.

maxresdefault.jpg

Representation quotas for every type of person except the cis white male (unless this is a trans man, which is the same thing obviously).

That training programme sounds like a nice red flag to keep an eye out for when looking over resumes
I'm in Canada, some employers have started asking people if they were gay as part of their efforts to improve their hiring process... I wonder how far you need to go to prove it? do they take you out in the village for a couple of night, or do they check right there in the interview room?

Imagine, you get in for the interview with a naked woman and a naked dude and they try to see which turns you on most? they can't just take your word for it.

I apparently we have a similar problem for university admissions, a sizeable number of people find ways to show they are part of some "under represented" group.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm in Canada, some employers have started asking people if they were gay as part of their efforts to improve their hiring process... I wonder how far you need to go to prove it? do they take you out in the village for a couple of night, or do they check right there in the interview room?

Imagine, you get in for the interview with a naked woman and a naked dude and they try to see which turns you on most? they can't just take your word for it.

I apparently we have a similar problem for university admissions, a sizeable number of people find ways to show they are part of some "under represented" group.
Imagine sexual orientation as a hiring attribute. Remember when anything close to bringing that up was an HR firestorm? Rules for thee.

Imagine sexual orientation as a hiring attribute. Remember when anything close to bringing that up was an HR firestorm? Rules for thee.
I never cared that much about that stuff. When I was a teen I was pretty shy with the ladies any my parents thought I was gay for some reason, I never did anything to make them believe I was not.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
a sizeable number of people find ways to show they are part of some "under represented" group.
Reminds me of that time the company I was working for asked me to attend to some meeting just so they could have some "hispanic representation". Thing is, between my job (IT) and my love for videogames, I don't see the sun too often, so I ended up being the whitest motherfucker in the room.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Now combine them all. I want to play as an obese, albino womyn of color, with exposed midriff and beer gut that hangs out over her belt, with Down syndrome and confined to a wheelchair.

The ultimate diversity warrior!

Swift_Star

Banned
Well we made it three pages in so that might be a you thing. In my case is just that all this "diversity is good and we need it everywhere" feels tiresome and forced as hell.
I don’t care about this… this won’t impact the development of any game and won’t impact the improvement of Unreal, plus it’s Dove’s money on the line. Who cares?
This seems more like fake outrage + nothing burger of a thread lol

Last edited:
Almost half of the gamers are woman... yeah I am going to call bullshit on that.

It is and it isn't.

I'm sure half of all people who have ever played any game at least one time in their lives are women. But as for 'gamers' or 'enthusiasts' (or however you want to label it, someone interested in the hobby who plays very often) it's definitely a huge male majority.

Reminds me of that time the company I was working for asked me to attend to some meeting just so they could have some "hispanic representation". Thing is, between my job (IT) and my love for videogames, I don't see the sun too often, so I ended up being the whitest motherfucker in the room.
I had the opposite situation with hispanic and Lebanese colleagues. I spend a lot of time outside and I tend to get pretty brown, as brown as any of them.

These people who focus on these things are crazy, in reality we just get along.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I had the opposite situation with hispanic and Lebanese colleagues. I spend a lot of time outside and I tend to get pretty brown, as brown as any of them.

These people who focus on these things are crazy, in reality we just get along.
My wife watches some glass-blowing reality show on Netflix. I swear every single contestant on that show is like an avatar of some particular identity.

“I’m here to represent the queer non-binary folks, I wanted to make a sculpture that captures the essence of queerness”

“I’m Filipino-American and I think representation matters, I want Filipino kids to see people who look like them”

“I have ADHD and I wanted to show that people can overcome ADHD”

I don’t think there was a single person on that show who was just there because they’re good at glass blowing.

If you went back in time 10-20 years and showed this to people they’d think we all lost our fucking minds.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Just had to share from the other thread:

In the sequel to Borderlands 3, players take control of an all-female team of heroes as they battle to spread the message of diversity and acceptance across the Borderlands. The team is made up of four unique characters, each with their own strengths and abilities.

First, there is an albino woman named Aurora, who uses her exceptional speed and agility to take down enemies. Next is Rosie, an obese woman with a beer gut who is surprisingly strong and tough. She uses her size and strength to her advantage in combat, taking on even the toughest foes with ease.

There is also a hot but wheelchair-bound woman named Sophia, who uses her powerful psychic abilities to take out enemies from a distance. And finally, there is another albino woman named Luna, who wields the power of Dove soap as a weapon, using its cleansing properties to purify and heal her teammates.

Together, the team sets out on a mission to rid the Borderlands of discrimination and hate, using the power of Dove soap to spread their message of acceptance and inclusivity. They encounter various challenges and enemies along the way, but they never back down, using their combined strength and determination to overcome any obstacle.

In the end, the team is able to bring about a new era of acceptance and understanding in the Borderlands, using the power of Dove soap and their own fierce determination to bring about positive change.

Raonak

Banned
That's pretty cool of them, it doesn't effect me one way or another, but I appreciate the effort.

I do wish east-indian people were included more in these diversity efforts. Seems like we are often still overlooked, so more diversity please!

Last edited:
My wife watches some glass-blowing reality show on Netflix. I swear every single contestant on that show is like an avatar of some particular identity.

“I’m here to represent the queer non-binary folks, I wanted to make a sculpture that captures the essence of queerness”

“I’m Filipino-American and I think representation matters, I want Filipino kids to see people who look like them”

“I have ADHD and I wanted to show that people can overcome ADHD”

I don’t think there was a single person on that show who was just there because they’re good at glass blowing.

If you went back in time 10-20 years and showed this to people they’d think we all lost our fucking minds.
Where I live there is some reality show where people dance, anyway... on one episode they ask them to create coregraphies about hard stuff they had in their lives (some had pretty hard lives apparently, so really touching in most cases).

Then the last group was two very typical teens who cried because they had bad comments on their tik toc stream or some other social media thing.

For the kids with ADHD, ADHD can be a "benefit" in some cases, just don't get an office job if you have ADHD.

Top Bottom