• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom Opening Night |OT| Dorito Pope Dreams of Next Gen

GAMETA

Banned
It's a nice colourful, fun break from the shoot bang and social lecture games
Just because it's colorful and unpolitical doesn't mean it's good. Have you ever tried anything Nintendo? You can feel the rich gameplay there, but with R&C? Hmm, I don't know about that.

Sleepwalker

"Make sure to stay tuned all weekend"

tenor.gif

GreyHand23

Hmm, I don't know about that, it looks incredibly repetitive and limited gameplay wise, it does feel like a "Sony game", and I don't mean the good ones.

If you’ve ever played a Ratchet & Clank game you would know that they all have a crazy amount of unique weapons, enemies, and gameplay mechanics that are introduced constantly throughout the campaign. Most of the levels are pretty open as well.

Just because it's colorful and unpolitical doesn't mean it's good. Have you ever tried anything Nintendo? You can feel the rich gameplay there, but with R&C? Hmm, I don't know about that.
It being good means it's good. Being colourful and unpolitical means it will be a fun break from the shoot bangs

GAMETA

Banned
If you’ve ever played a Ratchet & Clank game you would know that they all have a crazy amount of unique weapons, enemies, and gameplay mechanics that are introduced constantly throughout the campaign. Most of the levels are pretty open as well.

OK, but do the different weapons change gameplay and vary its mechanics?

I have never played it and am not saying it's necessarily bad, I'm just stating what I perceived by the trailer, which is, it looks boring and repetitive, pretty much like Uncharted (which I have played)

The one thing all these digital events seem to confirm is, while Microsoft and Sony may have wanted new hardware, most developers weren't ready for the generational shift. Hopefully next-gen will be more in effect come holiday season 2021.

Javthusiast

Banned
Scrap all these shit digital showcases. Get your best trailers and gameplay demos together and blow them out at E3, giving us the gaming christmas feeling starting next year again and continue each following year.

This drop feed of lame showcases only sours me more and more and kills all the hype I could have.

OK, but do the different weapons change gameplay and vary its mechanics?

I have never played it and am not saying it's necessarily bad, I'm just stating what I perceived by the trailer, which is, it looks boring and repetitive, pretty much like Uncharted (which I have played)
No no no. Ratchet & Clank is really a fun game. It's got humour, it's action packed, t's fun to play. You jump some platforms. You grind some rails. You shoot some enemies with a vary wide range of ridiculous guns.

For me it's a system seller.

martino

so the most next gen thing to me was teardown
i want thing that push that kind of gameplay ideas/possibilities with more aaa production means
tenor.gif

Last edited:
These hype gangs need binning, far too much up the backsides of the publishers. Can’t be bothered saying anything about it on twitter or Facebook , just be met with volatile defence shaming guff as usual.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Jesus. Has a next-gen console launch ever been more boring? I skimmed through the whole thing and I can't remember what I saw.

splattered

Ok so Insomniac devs basically confirmed Ratchet & Clank "is an extension of the 2013 title that can stand as its own game in the series and you don't need to have played previous titles to enjoy it" ... not verbatim.

So as i previously said, it seems very likely that it was built on PS4 with mechanical hard drive technology in mind and shifted to PS5 and had some graphic/haptic bells and whistles added later. Not built from the ground up for PS5.

Why are they pretending like the purple portal sequences aren't essentially an elevator/loading screen sequence?

You appear to have no control of your character as he makes his way through various set pieces until the next actual playable world loads. They said these will appear periodically throughout the game as you chase Dr Nefarious. If they made it so you could jump through a purple portal any time you wanted to any planet you wanted and there was 0% loading then yes, that would be the true SSD magic we were all hoping for. Doesn't appear to be the case.

I think it looks GREAT... but we need to stop fooling ourselves.

Spiderman and Ratchet are very pretty DLC packs turned into standalone products for the PS5 launch.

Microsoft and Sony have BOTH failed to ready 100% from the ground up AAA next gen titles for launch.

Scrap all these shit digital showcases. Get your best trailers and gameplay demos together and blow them out at E3, giving us the gaming christmas feeling starting next year again and continue each following year.

This drop feed of lame showcases only sours me more and more and kills all the hype I could have.

I think you may be right although my worry is a lot of this stuff looks current gen, copy & paste, very timid showings and yet we have new systems out in a couple of months with still no prices confirmed.

I understand it’s difficult times but it has been a few months, not a year or so, what’s been in development before lockdowns or more specifically why does this feel lukewarm, unprepared and uninspired.

SCB3

The showcase was fine, some titles I'm looking forward to, a few surprises, nothing too major for the end of the year still

But I feel this was a real chance for Gamescom and Geoff Keighly to finally put a nail in E3's coffin and, well it didn't do it, it blew the shot here, I kinda missed E3 and tbh, I didn't think I would

Top Bottom