• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you can't still believe actually saw the light of day or are upcoming?

SinDelta

Edit - You mention some of the terrible ones, you should probably mention some of the great ones.

Elden Ring. Watching the reveal trailer was like watching a fever dream.

Zelda Breath of the Wild - From the rumors and speculation in the months and years after Skyward Sword released to the first stunning Ghibli like teaser.

13 Sentinels - Apparently development was hell and Vanillaware never wants to do something like it again, but by god is it one of the best games ever made.

NEO The World Begins with You - Remember when a new game was teased several years back, and it was nothing? I do. Shocked an actual sequel is coming out in just a few days.

Metroid Dread - Was probably right below "Half Life 3" in gaming myth and legend. Everyone was thinking about Metroid Prime 4, nevermind V, nevermind V being Dread which was never something I saw anywhere mentioned as a possibility. Speaking of Half-Life, Half Life-Alex existing period.

Age of Empires IV - Though long ago it was going to be more akin in time frame to Company of Heroes then the 100 Years War again and then lead into a future setting for V.

Psychonauts 2 - First one was a great cult classic, but the sequel is actually a thing and getting released.

Total Warhammer - I don't think people actually thought this would ever happen? Marvel vs Capcom, sure, Kingdom Hearts was lightning in a bottle, sure, Games Workshop allowing something this insanely awesome? Not a chance in hell.

On a lesser note, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
The last of us part 2. Very few games have ever been so poorly written as to be insulting on every conceivable level. Same goes for it's pacing.

Red Steel on the Wii. I hope whoever said "yeah this is fine" never got work in the industry again.

Operation Raccoon City. The game that came out on my Birthday, and almost ruined it.

Vagswarm

World of Warcraft - I always thought it would be awesome if Blizzard made an MMORPG during that time, and they actually did! Had a lot of features I wanted too, like reputation systems for unique rewards -- instead of just random grinding. And the Warcraft universe was incredibly awesome at the time. Really didn't expect this to happen... I was thinking (and kind of hoping at the time) that if anything, it would be Diablo.

Breath of the Wild - I was surprised they actually made a modern day open world Zelda with different mechanics. Being able to manipulate the environment as if you were in control was brilliant. I especially liked the swing puzzles. I'll have to give it another go some time as I quit early and wasn't completely blown away by it at the time.

Metroid Dread - Never thought this particular game (Dread) would ever be released. I remember thinking "wasn't this in development a long time ago" as soon as I saw that name, and Google totally agreed. Wasn't really expecting a 2D Metroid either.

Half Life: Alyx - Pretty much came out of no where. Looked incredible on the trailers too. Great stuff. Unfortunately I don't have VR and am unable to play it.

Wind Waker - Nintendo had balls of steel to release this after all the backlash. They kept suggesting that it's different when you actually play it, and they stopped showing footage of it early on. I was one of the pissed off people who was hoping for something along the lines of Twilight Princess

Twilight Princess - Couldn't believe they actually listened and released this after Wind Waker. It was still going to be on the same system too. That first surprise trailer at E3 was something else.

Bakkus

Metroid Dread - Was probably right below "Half Life 3" in gaming myth and legend. Everyone was thinking about Metroid Prime 4, nevermind V, nevermind V being Dread which was never something I saw anywhere mentioned as a possibility. Speaking of Half-Life, Half Life-Alex existing period.
Is this really true, though? The game that's coming out is obviously not the same Metroid Dread as the one which was in development in 2007 on the DS. The same way the Duke Nukem Forever we got in 2011 was not the same game as the one that had been in development 15+ years beforehand.

RCU005

The last of us part 2. Very few games have ever been so poorly written as to be insulting on every conceivable level. Same goes for it's pacing.

This is a perfect example of everyone having their own opinion and liking different things. I found the Last of Us 2 amazing in every way. My jaw was dropped for the entire game and loved the story. I don't want a Part 3 because Ellie needs a break, let her live peacefully!!

Cutty Flam

Banned
I tuned into E3 a little late. Can’t recall what was shown first to me but in the span of three or four min after just tuning in, my dream game was presented to the world. The game I have been daydreaming of since about 2005 or so

Mario Party Superstars

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Very small niche here,

But I'm excited there is a team of enthusiasts creating Mechwarrior Living Legends 2 on their own engine. Despite not being able to actually use the name 'mechwarrior,' Microsoft is actually okay with it (Microsoft holds the IP and rights to any gaming related version of Battletech). It's a great time for an almost forgotten franchise as it has been plagued by copyrights and greedy IP owners. Here's hoping for a different future.

Last edited:

mxbison

Marvel games like MvC Infinite, Avengers, Guardians etc.

They have so much money and an insanely popular brand that stands for high budget/polish, how can they release these games that look so cheap?

TwiztidElf

Advance Wars 1+2 remake. I would have preferred a new sequel, but I'm so happy just for this to exist.
PokeMoba. Comes out tomorrow.

This is a perfect example of everyone having their own opinion and liking different things. I found the Last of Us 2 amazing in every way. My jaw was dropped for the entire game and loved the story. I don't want a Part 3 because Ellie needs a break, let her live peacefully!!
My opinion was that the lore on the whole was bigger than Joel and Ellie and further entries should have featured other protagonists. Let them retire at Tommy's city and be done with them.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Duke Nukem Forever - Even if it was a pretty mediocre game by critics' standards, IMO it was really awesome that it came out at all, after 15 in development hell + limbo. And I personally enjoyed it, so fight me.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake - I guess it was never really a matter of "if" but rather of "when". But it was weird how Square Enix held on from making it for so long, considering it was probably going to be a golden goose. I bet most hopefuls expected the remake to happen on the PS3 when they showed that demo. But lo and behold, it only happened almost two generations, 14 years later.

Diablo Immortal - the Chinese money is speaking louder than the fans', obviously
Trials of Mana - can't believe they did it so well after the shitshow that was the first game's remake
Age of Calamity - announcement out of nowhere, release only two months later, great game

SinDelta

Is this really true, though? The game that's coming out is obviously not the same Metroid Dread as the one which was in development in 2007 on the DS. The same way the Duke Nukem Forever we got in 2011 was not the same game as the one that had been in development 15+ years beforehand.
That is a good point.

Vagswarm

Duke Nukem Forever - Even if it was a pretty mediocre game by critics' standards, IMO it was really awesome that it came out at all, after 15 in development hell + limbo. And I personally enjoyed it, so fight me.
Y'know, I still have yet to play this. Or even see it in action past 5 seconds. Same with Daikatana.

Flabagast

Elden ring feels so derivative to me.. its like assassin’s creed but worse

I now have the impression that gamers force themselves to love everything that From put out with much lower standards than anything else

Bridges

I still cannot believe we actually got a sequel to Deadly Premonition. Playing it was very bittersweet because I highly doubt there will ever be another

Also gonna echo Metroid Dread, just wild to see that name attached to something that exists, with a release date and everything

D

Deleted member 820760

Unconfirmed Member
13 Sentinels - Apparently development was hell and Vanillaware never wants to do something like it again, but by god is it one of the best games ever made.
How does the story in 13 Sentinels stack up to games like Nier, Xenogears and 999? I'm quite interested in checking this game out, but is the story really that good?

SinDelta

How does the story in 13 Sentinels stack up to games like Nier, Xenogears and 999? I'm quite interested in checking this game out, but is the story really that good?
Have not played Nier, Xenogears or 999 so I can't say how in comparison to those in particular. I found it incredible myself. One of the best stories I've seen in any medium.

Last edited:

Hnjohngalt

Im in disbelief and excited for the port of Soul Nomad from ps2 to the switch next month. Its in the 1st nippon ichi combo with Phantom Brave. Loved this niche turn based game back in the day and its being brought back end of August.

cireza

Shenmue 3. This one surprised me.
Of course, I did not buy it.

Edit :
GG Aleste 3 and Xeno Crisis : having talented professional developers making new games for Game Gear and MegaDrive, and both were awesome.

Last edited:

Monotox

Neo Member
Pokemon Legends Arceus still seems completely unreal to me after wanting an open Pokemon game for ages.

killatopak

Gold Member
D2 Resurrected.

I think I’ve watched an interview with one of the creators on how impossible it was to remaster it to modern standard cause so many stuff was tied to resolution and framerate which was 800x600 and 24fps.

NieR

I and many others were asking for a sequel or a remaster. I can‘t believe we got both. I kinda resigned myself on this being ip being a hidden gem but SE and Yoko Taro somehow pulled if off and made it successful.

3rd Birthday

I still don’t know why this was greenlit at all. To be fair, the gameplay was enjoyable to me but the story was such a convoluted mess, it might as well just be a new ip altogether.

Top Bottom