• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers call for boycott of FF16 for "lack of diversity and minority characters", make poll. Get wrecked in backfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you are saying that with this wild strawman lol

Even with titles like Red Dead Redemption 2, I even stated I'd be ok with them showing what really happened with African Americans during that time. I'm ok with the reality of that time being shown in film, games and depicted in books. I've never taken a personal issue with it as a black male myself, I've even stated most are scared to really show the reality of those times and nothing is wrong with it. I applaud Mafia 3 for even having it where the character was called all theses racial slurs when they went to different areas. That indeed is how it was back then lol Why would I want the past hidden or something to spare someone's fucking feelings? lol

So this whole angle of saying "derrrr your ok if black people being treated" doesn't make sense, its fake, its a fucking video game. Wanting a realistic portrayal of something is not auguring in support of the things that occurred during that time.

Its as silly as saying a Holocaust film like Escape From Sobibor or The Pianist is in favor of killing people lol
I agree with what you are saying but I also know people aren't ready for that. If you think not having people of color in this game is bad imagine the vitriol had they been included. It wasn't a strawman at all, It was an honest question. That is YOUR take, YOU have never had an issue with it. You and I both know that people that look like us, generally do, even though it will be those that do not look like us that blow it up and scream the loudest about it.

Xenon

Well, the same Eurogamer seems like a good candidate
screenshot_2023-05-316ffh0.jpg

Why do they call it stereotypes when they say a character is design around a single template? Shouldn't it be monotypes? /Seinfeld

Dick Jones

Gold Member
They might as well boycott Forza and Gran Turismo as cars in those games may have hit and killed someone. It could be triggering for someone to see a Toyota Yaris in the game.

Varteras

Gold Member
The deep lolz, its their excuse.

If they are saying this based on Europe during the medieval ages, then this idea doesn't entirely make a whole lot of sense. So if they didn't want those responses, maybe they should have just stated its what they wanted vs pretending its based on some historical thing or something.
From Chat GPT:
Q: Was medieval Europe racially diverse or mostly white people?

A: Medieval Europe was predominantly inhabited by white people, specifically individuals of European descent. The concept of race, as it is understood today, did not exist in the same way during the Middle Ages. The medieval period saw limited contact and interaction with people from other regions of the world, which resulted in a relatively homogenous population across most of Europe.

However, it is important to note that there were some instances of diversity within medieval Europe, primarily due to various factors such as trade, migration, and military campaigns. For example, certain regions of Europe had contact with North African, Middle Eastern, and Asian populations through trade routes like the Silk Road. Additionally, during the Crusades, Europeans came into contact with individuals from the Levant and encountered the cultural and ethnic diversity present in that region.

Furthermore, the Iberian Peninsula (modern-day Spain and Portugal) witnessed significant cultural and ethnic diversity during the medieval period. The Reconquista, a series of campaigns to reclaim the Iberian Peninsula from Muslim rule, involved interactions between Christian, Muslim, and Jewish populations.

In summary, while medieval Europe was primarily inhabited by white people, there were pockets of diversity due to trade, migration, military activities, and specific regions with mixed populations. However, it's important to understand that racial classifications and concepts of diversity were not the same as those used in contemporary society.
Q: Was non-white racial migration to Europe very limited in Medieval times?

A: Yes, non-white racial migration to Europe was indeed limited during the medieval period. The medieval era saw relatively little direct migration of significant numbers of non-white populations into Europe. This was primarily due to factors such as geographical barriers, limited means of transportation, and the absence of large-scale global migration movements that would have brought diverse racial groups into the continent.

Europe's geographical location, with natural boundaries such as the Mediterranean Sea, the Alps, and other mountain ranges, made it more challenging for people from outside the continent to migrate to Europe during the Middle Ages. The vast distances and the technological limitations of the time also posed significant obstacles to long-distance travel and migration.

However, it is important to acknowledge that there were exceptions and instances of limited non-white migration and settlement in certain regions of Europe. For example, the Iberian Peninsula (modern-day Spain and Portugal) had a relatively higher degree of contact and interaction with North African and Middle Eastern populations due to its proximity to these regions. The Moors, who were of Arab and Berber descent, ruled parts of the Iberian Peninsula for several centuries. This resulted in a cultural and ethnic mix in that region.

Additionally, there were smaller communities of people with diverse racial backgrounds in medieval European cities due to trade networks and diplomatic exchanges. These communities often consisted of merchants, diplomats, or individuals in service to noble households from various parts of the world.

Overall, while there were some instances of non-white migration and settlement in medieval Europe, they were relatively limited compared to the predominant population of European descent. The broader patterns of racial diversity and migration seen in more recent centuries did not exist to the same extent during the Middle Ages.

Europe wasn't nearly diverse enough to try and argue that SE has bad reasoning.

Guilty_AI

The time they are talking about in Europe had people of many different races, that isn't an argument of anything being "forced"

The rest of your post is wildly exaggerating the comment...
"Europe" is a big place. Are we talking about southern europe? Eastern Europe? What time period exactly? This is a very important detail if we wanna talk historical ethnicities and race demographics.

If we say there were X amount of darkskinned people in Europe during the 1000s, that doesn't mean they were evenly spreadt throughout the entire territory, it means there was a high concentration of them in the Iberian Peninsula.

EDMIX

More developers and publishers need to realize that they should stick to their guns. We keep seeing success in the face of "backlash"

Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Cyberpunk 2077
Hogwarts Legacy
Soon to be Final Fantasy XVI

They only ever have power when the companies get scared and make changes before the product releases. If you stick to your vision and release a quality product with integrity, everyone will forget whatever flavor of the month issue that is getting the forums/twitter riled up.

True, but I don't even know if any of those situations even could be seen as real "backlash"

I heard about a lot of that thru NeoGaf and I'd argue I heard this place talk about it much more (well I don't be on Twitter so fuck do I know lol) Regardless, these have been non-issues and only minor things if that.

Based on the whole Kingdom Comes situation, I feel they likely could do a lot to make it more accurate, but what was being complained about didn't even seem like it was arguing in favor of some historically accurate thing in the first place. It literally sounded like something mods could add to the game or something.

Like Skyrim, for what ever odd reason, you don't see much children or old people and I put on mods that increased how much people you see, the mod for more children, more elderly, I believe I also crossed it with a mod for like Khajiit children and old people too lol Regardless, most of what I heard sounds like a mod could address it for those that even claim they are hurt by something.

Where they at in Nexus? lol

Kataploom

Gold Member
When will the purple haired dipshits learn that they are the minority?
They are currently, if the aren't then they have no hopeless, even in America where 90% of this woke bs happens it's getting huge backslash. Out of America, outside for Spain and idk where else, they always got laughed and meme'd at, specially in Latinamerica where people don't think twice to laugh at others.

Fbh

I still don't get why a Japanese game being made in Japan primarily by Japanese devs needs to take into account American issues and racial tension when creating their world and characters.
If anything it seems extremely self centered and narcissistic expecting every product no matter where it's made to appeal to you.

You can tell many of the authors of these things don't even grasp that there's a world outside the USA and south-central Europe when they talk about "minorities" as if it was a universal concept that applies to the same group of people anywhere in the world

Well, the same Eurogamer seems like a good candidate
screenshot_2023-05-316ffh0.jpg

Come on I'm sure this was written by a perfectly normal and reasonable indivi....

1626965728.jpg

Imtjnotu

I still don't get why a Japanese game being made in Japan primarily by Japanese devs needs to take into account American issues and racial tension when creating their world and characters.
If anything it seems extremely self centered and narcissistic expecting every product no matter where it's made to appeal to you.

You can tell many of the authors of these things don't even grasp that there's a world outside the USA and south-central Europe when they talk about "minorities" as if it was a universal concept that applies to the same group of people anywhere in the world

Come on I'm sure this was written by a perfectly normal and reasonable indivi....

1626965728.jpg
Chill Relax GIF

YukiOnna

Why is ResetEra newsworthy. Why does USA and Europe have to act like they represent every consumer in an us vs them mentality.

The team on the JP stream were pretty positive on the demo number downloads and PS5 bundles so that's all they're going to care about thankfully.

Aenima

Ghost of Tsushima was incredibly racist. Where were the black and white folks?
They were busy making the game. Which also triggered the purple asylum for cultural apropriation and bullshit like that. Meanwhile in Japan, the creators of the game was made embassadors of the real Tsushima.

Game director Nate Fox and creative director Jason Connell will become permanent tourism ambassadors of the city of Tsushima in Nagasaki, the island announced this week.
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ade-permanent-ambassadors-of-the-real-island/

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I said this MANY TIMES, western media loves to talks about “diversity” but in reality they think their way is the only way and everyone should do as they do.

Schmendrick

Did you guys ever stop for a second before posting links to this crap and thought about that those individuals probably write this stuff fully aware what kind of crap it is just to polarize and create traffic and therefore money, and that you are actively helping them by reposting this nonsense?

Did you guys ever stop for a second before posting links to this crap and thought about that those individuals probably write this stuff fully aware what kind of crap it is just to polarize and create traffic and therefore money, and that you are actively helping them by reposting this nonsense?
Eurogamer isn’t making much money to be fair hence why they introduced some supporter system. In another desperate attempt they have reverted back to a scoring system for reviews.

One of their news editors left them last month for IGN because the wages eurogamer offer are paltry.

EDMIX

I agree with what you are saying but I also know people aren't ready for that. If you think not having people of color in this game is bad imagine the vitriol had they been included. It wasn't a strawman at all, It was an honest question. That is YOUR take, YOU have never had an issue with it. You and I both know that people that look like us, generally do, even though it will be those that do not look like us that blow it up and scream the loudest about it.

I don't disagree with that at all.

I know people will react negatively without looking into the context, so a game saying the n-word might get seen like a developer is seeking to say something negative about black people, when they merely might be making a game in a time frame where that was used.

We don't have issues with Mississippi Burning (the book or the film), but the moment someone puts it in a game, many will try to make it seem as if the developer is racist or is saying it to harm black people etc.

My argument about representation is not absolute, its not by force and its not BY ANY MEANS NESSCEARY (ala brother X lol) its to say, if its within reason, if its aiming for some time frame that historically existed, I have no issue with a person of color being in some work and maybe it makes sense if indeed that is what those times were like as it can lend something to the game.

I also agree that unfortunately, those that speak the loudest, often don't look like us, yet try to be hurt for us lol This is truth.

I'm even against the idea of a person of color ONLY being in a game if they are some positive thing. As a black person, this idea doesn't even help me, it limits what I'd be able to do if I was looking at that role, what If I want to be the bad guy? Drug Dealer? Equal needs to mean equal, for better or for worse and some of the arguments made make it sound like a person of color shouldn't be in a work unless they are a saint or some shit lol but i digress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom