• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers call for boycott of FF16 for "lack of diversity and minority characters", make poll. Get wrecked in backfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
eh0AweH.jpg

I wish I had known earlier. Fuck. I played the demo and enjoyed the game. I should have looked deeper rather than preorder a game based off a great demo.

EDMIX

I don't agree with the claim of the developer regarding how they came to that conclusion considering how inaccurate that actually is (Europe literally having hundreds of years of trading with different nations and races)

The game has so many fantastical elements, different creatures, magic etc, I don't really buy having different races was some wild idea compared to everything else in the game.

I also don't see it enough to boycott the game either as I don't think they did this out of hate or to hurt anyone, their reasoning merely sounds ignorant to what the Medieval era was.

Draugoth

Gold Member
"So despite notable criticism and backlash online regarding the lack of diversity in the game, and square's continuously questionable response to the topic, it seems a lot of people are still planning to purchase FF16"

They are going to turn this non-issue into a selling point.

.) at the time of writing, over 1200 players have responded to the poll, but just 2.9 per cent – that's around 40 people – are intending to intentionally boycott the release

Do they happen to be from the purple forum?

Last edited:

Madflavor

The only question I have is who are going to be the 1-2 losers who are going to give mixed/bad review scores for the game, because "muh inclusion".

Fuz

Banned
I don't agree with the claim of the developer regarding how they came to that conclusion considering how inaccurate that actually is (Europe literally having hundreds of years of trading with different nations and races)

The game has so many fantastical elements, different creatures, magic etc, I don't really buy having different races was some wild idea compared to everything else in the game.

I also don't see it enough to boycott the game either as I don't think they did this out of hate or to hurt anyone, their reasoning merely sounds ignorant to what the Medieval era was.
Vavra.jpg

Guilty_AI

I doubted this would sell 10M by the end of the year as some here predict, but now i'm pretty sure it will reach that in the first month.

Last edited:

kyussman

So it has been decided that no piece of media ever going forward can feature an all white cast......because that's racist......what complete bullshit,fuck off!

LOL this is going to be huge.

If this is accurate holy fuck.

I said this in the other thread but feel it's worth repeating. SquareEnix not putting forced diversity into their game especially darker skinned people was the right decision. Unless you think modern western civilities would be ok with black people being branded "SLAVES" and called as such in the game. This game is very political and you get a whole slave and massa scene in the demo. There is another scene where a guy treats Clive like a whole ass slave in the promotional material. This was a good call.

So it has been decided that no piece of media ever going forward can feature an all white cast......because that's racist......what complete bullshit,fuck off!
No future like a dragon game can feature an all Asian cast. We need a token black or white person in there or it’s racist. Even if it doesn’t match up with the story, we need them in there.

Ghost of Tsushima was incredibly racist. Where were the black and white folks?

The time they are talking about in Europe had people of many different races, that isn't an argument of anything being "forced"

The rest of your post is wildly exaggerating the comment...
How so? The branded are slaves. Hard stop. That's it. They are even called slaves in the game. I really don't think calling people of color that term would go over well with "modern audiences".

EDMIX

So you're saying people would be ok with black people being treated as subservient and called slaves in a video game?

No, you are saying that with this wild strawman lol

Even with titles like Red Dead Redemption 2, I even stated I'd be ok with them showing what really happened with African Americans during that time. I'm ok with the reality of that time being shown in film, games and depicted in books. I've never taken a personal issue with it as a black male myself, I've even stated most are scared to really show the reality of those times and nothing is wrong with it. I applaud Mafia 3 for even having it where the character was called all theses racial slurs when they went to different areas. That indeed is how it was back then lol Why would I want the past hidden or something to spare someone's fucking feelings? lol

So this whole angle of saying "derrrr your ok if black people being treated" doesn't make sense, its fake, its a fucking video game. Wanting a realistic portrayal of something is not auguring in support of the things that occurred during that time.

Its as silly as saying a Holocaust film like Escape From Sobibor or The Pianist is in favor of killing people lol

Last edited:
The time they are talking about in Europe had people of many different races, that isn't an argument of anything being "forced"

The rest of your post is wildly exaggerating the comment...
Such as? Iberian Peninsula, Regnum Hungariae and the Sultanate of Rum are the only ones I can think of, and that's barely. The Vikings also made lots of trade and lived in Europe, like in the Kingdom of Sicily and also the Duchy of Normandy, but I don't see Vikings in the game. Just stop.

EDMIX

Such as? Iberian Peninsula, Regnum Hungariae and the Sultanate of Rum are the only ones I can think of, and that's barely. The Vikings also made lots of trade and lived in Europe, like in the Kingdom of Sicily and also the Duchy of Normandy, but I don't see Vikings in the game. Just stop.

The deep lolz, its their excuse.

If they are saying this based on Europe during the medieval ages, then this idea doesn't entirely make a whole lot of sense. So if they didn't want those responses, maybe they should have just stated its what they wanted vs pretending its based on some historical thing or something.

AJUMP23 AJUMP23 lol half those clicks will come from NeoGaf anyway.

Be like "come on guys, don't give them attention" (proceeds to go to the site 1204 times) lol

Last edited:

Bridges

More developers and publishers need to realize that they should stick to their guns. We keep seeing success in the face of "backlash"

Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Cyberpunk 2077
Hogwarts Legacy
Soon to be Final Fantasy XVI

They only ever have power when the companies get scared and make changes before the product releases. If you stick to your vision and release a quality product with integrity, everyone will forget whatever flavor of the month issue that is getting the forums/twitter riled up.

YCoCg

To be fair, even the comments section on EuroGamer are dunking on this and dunking on ResetEra, the top comment is:
Given it's Resetera, I assume they're banning anybody who votes "No".

Also EuroGamer never practice what they preach, for a website that seems so intent on pushing diversity they have the whitest staff list around, there was even a joke years back that anytime EuroGamer gets new staff you can bet your ass it's always a White Woman.

Davevil

To be fair, even the comments section on EuroGamer are dunking on this and dunking on ResetEra, the top comment is:

Also EuroGamer never practice what they preach, for a website that seems so intent on pushing diversity they have the whitest staff list around, there was even a joke years back that anytime EuroGamer gets new staff you can bet your ass it's always a White Woman.
Giving that bunch of reeetards visibility is already disqualifying in itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom