• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameplay wise, which era/generation of Assassin's Creed games you do prefer?

Which era/generation do you prefer for gameplay?

• Total voters

R6Rider

Gold Member
You can essentially fit them into different eras/groups as the gameplay has changed over time. Obviously there will be smaller differences between each title, but on a broader scale and only counting the main titles.

My favorite is the Ezio trilogy by far. Second would probably be 3/Rogue/Black Flag, but Unity had probably the best parkour overall. Parkour in the AC3/BF/Rogue style simply had much wider areas where parkour was limited.

Least favorite are the newer ones that started with Origins. Simply don't enjoy them although Origins has an awesome location.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Voted for the ezio titles since those are the ones I've played. Gotta admit that the pirate themed ones look cooler tho.

Stuart360

I like most of the game to be honest, but my fave are def the new 'open world rpg' style of origins, Odyssey and Valhalla.
Its like Wither 3 in new historical settings every couple of years.

Valhalla should be it's own "era" from origins and odyssey, because it doesn't have the focus on gear levels and enemy levels, it's also the only one of the two that has guaranteed assassinations, instead of hoping that your stats are high enough, so you can always play fully in stealth.

Valhalla overall plays much better than origins/odyssey because of this; if valhalla also had odyssey's ship combat it would've been perfect.

Topher

Gold Member
Unity and Syndicate were probably the most fun I've had in AC games. Followed by Origins/Odyssey.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Black Flag is the best Ass Cream of all. The ending with the Parting Glass is so bittersweet.

Ass Cream 3 is as boring as fuck. Haytham was interesting for his part and I'd rather play as Connor's mother. Connor is a charisma vacuum.

Still picked the Black Flag era.

Poll explains why we get water downed witchsassins 3 creed. Give me black flag...focus on stealth and exploration not half ass rpg mechanics. IDK why they don't just go dishonored/hitman route...open world is fine, put the assassination in more closed venues where theres a plethora of ways to go about the assassination.

Topher

Gold Member
Black Flag is the best Ass Cream of all. The ending with the Parting Glass is so bittersweet.

Ass Cream 3 is as boring as fuck. Haytham was interesting for his part and I'd rather play as Connor's mother. Connor is a charisma vacuum.

Still picked the Black Flag era.

Loved Black Flag. Rogue was ok, but yeah, AC 3 was just horrible.

jorgejjvr

Valhalla should be it's own "era" from origins and odyssey, because it doesn't have the focus on gear levels and enemy levels, it's also the only one of the two that has guaranteed assassinations, instead of hoping that your stats are high enough, so you can always play fully in stealth.

Valhalla overall plays much better than origins/odyssey because of this; if valhalla also had odyssey's ship combat it would've been perfect.
wait, it doesnt have the focus on gears and levels??? you can assassin everyone???

i had no idea, def gonna download it then when it hits PS Extra

that has been my biggest gripe about the recent entries

AC combat was never good, and somehow the new combat since Origins is even worse. I played Black Flag for the first time the other day and the game just felt tighter and more enjoyable. Not the bad PS2 era 3d melee combat that u see in the new games. Not the climb anywhere with no thought parkour of the new games either.

I would've voted for the Brotherhood era gameplay wise...but just the little i played of Black Flag it feels like a better version of it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Last one I played was black flag and it bored me to abandon the franchise. The ships stuff was really repetitive and boring... and I am not sure what it's doing in AC game as a main thing. Game was a bit too flat for ac parkour and there were so many tailing missions.
From games before that, Brotherhood was the best and really great game.
I am willing to give origins a try after years off AC

Last edited:

Nydius

The most fun I've had with the franchise was between late 2 and the end of 4, so I guess I'll have to vote for AC3/Black Flag.

I enjoyed Origins but not as much as Black Flag. I should have loved Odyssey since that's one of my favorite historical eras but, instead, was just left wanting. And I never even finished Valhalla as burnout on the 'reboot' had fully set it.

wait, it doesnt have the focus on gears and levels??? you can assassin everyone???

i had no idea, def gonna download it then when it hits PS Extra
Most people don't I think, a lot of complaints about odyssey was that gear and levels are so important, so playing stealth effectively was pretty hard and sometimes just impossible. I think people just assumed valhalla was more of the same, but it pretty much got rid of gear all together, you can easily wear your starter gear for the entire game.
In valhalla there's a skill called "advanced assassination", and as soon as you have it, you can assassinate anyone; it only costs 4 level ups to get, so it's an extremely early game skill.

b0uncyfr0

Every generation had its peak - then the recycled ones. Its really tough to pick just one. I always wondered why they were never iterative - one game would introduce something and remove a feature from the previous game that was actually good. Very annoying in that sense.

One of these should win : AC2 - Black Flag - Unity - Origins. The others are just meh..

Secktor Visage

Neo Member
Unity and Valhalla are my favourite ones
Valhalla accompanied with a podcast in a background is one of my best gaming experiences its so chill to just go around fields and explore.

mitch1971

pirates curse GIF

BLACK FLAG BABY

jorgejjvr

Most people don't I think, a lot of complaints about odyssey was that gear and levels are so important, so playing stealth effectively was pretty hard and sometimes just impossible. I think people just assumed valhalla was more of the same, but it pretty much got rid of gear all together, you can easily wear your starter gear for the entire game.
In valhalla there's a skill called "advanced assassination", and as soon as you have it, you can assassinate anyone; it only costs 4 level ups to get, so it's an extremely early game skill.

thats so good to know

R6Rider

Gold Member
Also, I'm wanting to play through most of the games again sometime. Might just buy the Steam bundle once it hits a sale. Second option would be buying the Ezio trilogy on Series X to get the FPS boost for those titles at least.

Anyway, Do all the AC titles have controller support on Steam?

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Loved black flag but recently played thru Unity and from traversal to combat it was by far the best and it's not close. If Unity is a 10 the next best is a 6 at the most. Unity is that much better.
Unity's movement and parkour is amazing, and the city is among the best. I played it only a few years ago so I missed out on most of the launch time problems.

I heard the co-op was really good too, but never played it.

Unity's movement and parkour is amazing, and the city is among the best. I played it only a few years ago so I missed out on most of the launch time problems.

I heard the co-op was really good too, but never played it.
I did a bit with my kid and it was fun, and worked well. The parkour system was so good! I hate that they over simplified it for the next games. I also loved the combat. It was actually a bit challenging and felt great to me. I heard people found it hard so they dumbed that down as well.

Kokoloko85

I lost interest after Unity. Even though Unity had loads of bugs I enjoyed it
AC1 was simple but still enjoyable because of the history setting. AC2, 3 and Black flag were all decent. Like 8- 8.5 score

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The AC2 era. It had the best story and characters, but not quite the best gameplay or mission design - but it was all good enough (and felt new at the time).

I think the franchise peaked with Black Flag on the whole, though.

Roberts

New ones by far. Unrestricted by levels, hubs or whatever you call it. Get lost in the world and have fun. Kassandra is also my favourite, but Origins is probably the best one.

Alx

I voted AC2 because those games were more balanced and the climbing was more challenging, but Unity isn't far behind. As a matter of fact Unity/Syndicate may have more polished gameplay, but the experience felt less entertaining.

The_hunter

AC1 is the best, apart from having to watch a ton of boring cutscenes everytime you boot into the game. The climbing was the best, and the missions are actually challenging (as far as I can remember). 2 was also good. I liked 3 for the most part. Controversially I didn't like black flag that much, but it was probably series burnout.

Last edited:

Banned
Loved black flag but recently played thru Unity and from traversal to combat it was by far the best and it's not close. If Unity is a 10 the next best is a 6 at the most. Unity is that much better.

I am kinda speechless... the combat in Unity is so terrible it feels like an alpha version of AC1

Top Bottom