• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameIndustry "PS Plus price hike: We'll all pay for a subscription-based future"

Unknown?

Its like how DLC's evolved from horse armor to what trash we have now with MTX's; lootboxes, season passes and all that guffans. Just way to milk consumers and take away control of their content. The day consoles go full sub and or stop selling physical copies of games, I'll just stop buying them.

Since those 'exclusives' will eventually make their way on on PC its not like I'm missing out.
You can't get physical PC games though, so how is it different? Steam just gives you a license to the software, not ownership.

I can see the number of subscriptions increasing in the near future as some people will want to renew before the price increase. And in one year, who knows, maybe the dust will settle and they will be accepting the new price, so Sony wins in the end.

They're all fools if they think all customers will pay for an expensive subscription. Some of us have old games and systems and don't need them to get our gaming fixes.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think most people regardless of price will pay for online gaming multiplayer shooters are awesome and unfortunately you need that subscription to play, because of game pass, ps plus tiers now they think gamers play 40 different games a week, everything about that led them to price hikes.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I can see the number of subscriptions increasing in the near future as some people will want to renew before the price increase. And in one year, who knows, maybe the dust will settle and they will be accepting the new price, so Sony wins in the end.

Iirc the new price takes effect in a few days so not a lot of time to factor that in.

hinch7

You can't get physical PC games though, so how is it different? Steam just gives you a license to the software, not ownership.
Been on Steam for a long time and you get games for considerably cheaper than on consoles. Subs all withstanding. And there's loads of choices for digital copies for games, whether online marketplaces or other platforms within. That and I've never had any games taken away from my account all these years on Steam.

Console I buy for exclusives. And the big boon for phyiscal is that I can play, lend out and trade up my games vs just buying on PC. If ALL games are locked to digital and I'm forced to pay for online play and use only their store for content and there'd be another reason to not to own one.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Been on Steam for a long time and you get games for considerably cheaper than on consoles. Subs all withstanding. And there's loads of choices for digital copies for games, whether online marketplaces or other platforms within. That and I've never had any games taken away from my account all these years on Steam.

Console I buy for exclusives. And the big boon for phyiscal is that I can play, lend out and trade up my games vs just buying on PC. If ALL games are locked to digital and I'm forced to pay for online play and use only their store for content and there'd be another reason to not to own one.
But your point originally was that it was reducing ownership, which is the same on steam. All that has to happen is being banned and *boom* you have no access.

Launchers need to disappear, PC doesn't need them.

They needed to add more value before raising the price. If they said we are now able to download PS3 games instead of only streaming, then you could understand the increase. I would instantly subscribe if they offered that. Imagine being able to download PS3 games and even play them at higher resolution and framerates? Would make ps plus insanely better. That stupid PS3 architecture really screwed things up.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'd accept the price hike if the content was there. However, currently there isn't enough on PS Plus to justify this increase.

I need to see more form Sony before I start paying again. For that price I expect PS exclusives on PS Plus from day one, plus a far bigger library of PS1 and 2 titles.

hinch7

But your point originally was that it was reducing ownership, which is the same on steam. All that has to happen is being banned and *boom* you have no access.

Launchers need to disappear, PC doesn't need them.
Reducing ownership means f all on PC and hasn't meant anything about how I buy and play games. On consoles I buy, play and trade up games all the time.

If consoles went digital only there'd be no incentive to me to buy one. I'd just wait a year for games to launch on PS first.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Once you are roped into this subscription, for anything, they have you over the barrel. The value only goes in one direction, and it's not towards the customer.

I would say at this point, console digital market and steam digital market are comparable. There's always sales on PSN, and Steam sales ain't what they used to be.

hinch7

diffusionx diffusionx There are key websites that generally offer games cheaper as well. If I have a quick look at a recent release... BG3

Its £66 on PSN, £50 Steam. CDKeys £45.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Reducing ownership means f all on PC and hasn't meant anything about how I buy and play games. On consoles I buy, play and trade up games all the time.

If consoles went digital only there'd be no incentive to me to buy one. I'd just wait a year for games to launch on PS first.
I still say PC reduces control of your content just as much, people have just been conditioned to accept it.

Barakov

Gold Member
Whos We GIF by League of Legends

reinking

Gold Member
Didn't Xbox raise Game Pass prices recently too? All video game and video subscription services raise prices eventually. Expect more.

zeldaring

Banned
Blame the consumer. They just don't care and spending money like it's water. look at the switch still selling crazy with no discounts on ancient hardware or games. it's just not for the switch, it goes for basically everything from cars to housing.

Last edited:

yurinka

I get what you're saying, but it completely misses the point. All that value is meaningless if you just want to be able to play a couple of your favorite PS1 games they made backward compatible. For people wanting access to over 400 games it's great. What's pure nut-hugging bullshit is pushing this nonsense that people should have to buy used consoles or spend $160 per year to play PS1 and PS2 games that will without a doubt run on PS5 via emulation.
YOU DON'T NEED TO PAY $160 TO PLAY PS1 OR PS2 GAMES.

You can simply buy these couple of games in the PSN store, no need to be subscribed.

If you bought these PS1/PSP classics on PSP/Vita/PS3 don't need to buy them or to have any subscription: you just can download it and play for free on PS4/PS5.

yurinka

Not true.

I cannot buy Resident Evil Directors Cut on PS5, need to be subbed to Premium to access it.

Outside of some specific Bandai games, you cannot buy the classics.

Gcri2Dv.png
Bullshit, seems you're a pathological liar.

That R.E. is some very rare exception maybe due to some licensing issue, bug or something like that. In my case right now I don't have PS+ and that game appears to me as 'bought' because I think I bought it on PSP.

Other than this very rare exception you can buy every single PS1, PS2, PS4, PS5, PSP games available in PS+ in the PSN store including all the classics.

Example of PS1 Classic:

image.png

Example of PS2 Classic:

image.png

Example of PSP Classic:

image.png

Last edited:

Neofire

I blame all subscription based platforms......Netflix is chief among them. Now every company is trying to bleed people dry even in the face of all of this inflation.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Yah PC games still is cheaper whats with the humble monthly and all

Knightime_X

Great article! %100 spot on. A %33 increase with no added value (and no explanation) to a service is a blatant “fuck you” to consumers.

Simple math tells you that If less than %33 of people cancel their subscriptions, then Sony will have profited on this endeavor (speaking in terms of the essential Tier). Highly doubtful that will happen - I honestly don’t think many people even pay attention to their renewing subscription services.
They're so gonna pay attention.

Mr Hyde

Bullshit, seems you're a pathological liar.

That R.E. is some very rare exception maybe due to some licensing issue, bug or something like that. In my case right now I don't have PS+ and that game appears to me as 'bought' because I think I bought it on PSP.

Other than this very rare exception you can buy every single PS1, PS2, PS4, PS5, PSP games available in PS+ in the PSN store including all the classics.

Example of PS1 Classic:

image.png

Example of PS2 Classic:

image.png

Example of PSP Classic:

image.png

I've managed to buy all the classics I want on PS5, including Resident Evil Director's Cut. It's weird some folks can't claim it.

Roufianos

The thread title should probably be renamed to "GamesIndustry.biz Flashes Its Sony Hate Boner". That makes it more clear what this article is really about.
This post should be renamed 'fanboy gets offended his favourite company is deservedly called out'.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
This post should be renamed 'fanboy gets offended his favourite company is deservedly called out'.

I sold my PS5 a couple of years ago. The gaming devices I currently own are:

Gaming PC
Xbox Series X (Halo Infinite edition)
Nintendo Switch
PlayStation Portable
PlayStation Vita
Steam Deck
ASUS ROG Ally

I know it's difficult not to be retarded on the internet, but go ahead and give it a whirl sometime.

Also, read this:

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They did, and yearly sub doesn't exist, so the price of GPU since August is 16,99$/month, 203,88$ yearly.

Compared to 159.99$ for PS + Premium.
It is to be expected then… $44 more still gives them them confidence they would not lose many people as they get adjusted to the new price.

They know a good bunch of existing users will stack subs at the current price or using deals and they bet that as similar deals expire on GamePass Ultimate people will get used to paying $200+ a year or so and by the time they need to renew their sub it is less of a traumatic jump.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If the only thing that article was doing was complaining about a price hike for subscriptions I wouldn't have made my comment in the first place. Read the article.

I don't disagree with the statement that a subscription-based future is terrible. In fact, I am fully onboard with that sentiment. But this person's writing went beyond this premise, and it comes across as someone who hates Sony finally being able to justify their hatred. I'm not saying that that is what the author intended. I'm just saying the deviation from the matter at hand (subscription services suck balls) was unnecessary, and it didn't really tie into the original issue. It seems like the author just wanted to say, "Sony sucked, and now they suck again."
The “pro game blogger” is trying to get themselves some ad revenue boosting hate impressions and discussions and is trying to bring the “arrogant” Sony meme back to do it.

Rqx0zch.jpg

In the same year GPU from Xbox increased prices to over $200 a year (using the monthly option as a basis), this much vitriol and “arrogant Sony” “grandeur of delusion Sony” … does sound fanboyish too. Something tells me this same writer did not say much when MS increased their prices (if they wrote anything was to try to justify it most likely 😂).

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
We all pay for any future. Since we are talking about publicly traded companies who's single goal is to maximize profits.
It's not gamepass or ps plus that will decide what we pay, it's competition.

If it wasn't gamepass and ps plus, it would be game prices. Or hardware. Or both.

THE DUCK

The “pro game blogger” is trying to generate ad revenue generated hate impressions and discussions and is trying to bring the “arrogant” Sony meme back to do it.

Rqx0zch.jpg

In the same year GPU from Xbox increased prices to over $200 a year (using the monthly option as a basis), this much vitriol and “arrogant Sony” “grandeur of delusion Sony” … does sound fanboyish too. Something tells me this same writer did not say much when MS increased their prices (if they wrote anything was to try to justify it most likely 😂).

Except your missing the biggest point/value proposition about gamepass vs ps plus - day and date 1st party games. You can't simply ignore that and call it the same.

TVexperto

What is with this Bluetooth thing everyone whines about? Bluetooth is horrible for gaming due to latency. Every headset you get, you either go wired or it has a dongle. Of course the device needs proprietary tech to play with a headset.
Update: I just tried my earbuds with Bluetooth on my PC and even Youtube videos have a noticeable delay between picture and audio.
Bluetooth has a low latency mode, maybe its your shitty pc and outdated motherboard with old bluetooth drivers the problem?

I do think people overreact about the "price hike" though. It's the discounted yearly subscription that went up. All the rest is the same, it is still cheaper to buy one year of Plus than to pay every month or every 3 months. And one year of Plus is still cheaper than one year of the concurrent service.
I had no idea how much the monthly price was until your post prompted me to check. Essential is $12 (plus tax). That’s $162 yearly. Who in their right mind would pay $162 for the “privilege” of multiplayer access, cloud saves, and a handful of rented B-tier games?

The previous price of $60 was high, but manageable. The current price of $69 was pushing it, especially after they cut down the number of monthly games. This new price if ludicrous. I haven’t seen a formal announcement of the Canadian price, but the currency exchange rate suggests it will be $100 or more.

$100 for basic functions like cloud save and multiplayer? Monthly games that are 2/3 PS4 games? I mean they announce this price increase alongside Saint’s Row. Sony isn’t even trying at this point.

reinking

Gold Member
Except your missing the biggest point/value proposition about gamepass vs ps plus - day and date 1st party games. You can't simply ignore that and call it the same.
Why do you say we are missing the point? Nobody said that Game Pass does not offer value in that regard. That does not change that it is a video game rental service and comparable to PS Plus. Both rental services have increase the price this year. When they are getting to the cost equal to the games I purchase each year both are starting to lose value for me.

yurinka

Many people think that these day one 1st party games are only a few games and that their quality, like the one from the other yellow MC games included day one is worse than the quality of the games added to PS+. Which in addition to have more quality, they see it also has way more quantity of games.

Maybe that explains why there are like twice the subbers in PS+ and why PS+ generates way more revenue with players moving to higher tiers.

At the end they are both multi tiered game rental services with hundreds of games with a cloud gaming option in the most expensive tier.

$100 for basic functions like cloud save and multiplayer? Monthly games that are 2/3 PS4 games? I mean they announce this price increase alongside Saint’s Row. Sony isn’t even trying at this point.
Essential also include the discounts for the PSN store. Many years I saved more money with these discounts than the cost of the yearly fee.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I'd like to say article is trying to shit on Sony or an anti-Sony article. But I find it very hard to disagree with anything in the article.
People are noticing more and more that Sony is trowing bullshit all over the place... the problem is that people are still buying lots and lots of PlayStation. If they keep buying, they won't care to change. They need a fallout like the PS3

fart town usa

Gold Member
I call BS based on the first paragraph alone.

We know what Portal is for. Is it useful for everyone? Not even close. You know what's even less useful? Incessantly whining about wanting something that doesn't exist.

The non BT thing isn't new either. The headset on PS4 had a dongle and so does the PS5 headset. Will I buy the new headset or ear buds? F no. Sony's headsets are mostly trash IMO. Mic is awful and my first headset (PS4) broke for no reason a few months into it. I only have the Pulse 3D cause it fits well over PSVR2. Thing isn't even compatible to be wireless with OG PSVR, have to use the aux cable. Sony is definitely arrogant this gen but it's not like you're forced to buy these accessories.

Last edited:
The size of the hike at once is the real problem. Should've been around 13% or $135 for Premium to start.

That said, iirc isn't Game Pass Ultimate at $17/mo with no yearly discount so that comes out to $204 a year?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Why do you say we are missing the point? Nobody said that Game Pass does not offer value in that regard. That does not change that it is a video game rental service and comparable to PS Plus. Both rental services have increase the price this year. When they are getting to the cost equal to the games I purchase each year both are starting to lose value for me.

Except they aren't comparable if one offers three $90 games per year and the other does not. I get they are starting to lose value but one loses more than the other if the games being offered are older/cheaper.

THE DUCK

Many people think that these day one 1st party games are only a few games and that their quality, like the one from the other yellow MC games included day one is worse than the quality of the games added to PS+. Which in addition to have more quality, they see it also has way more quantity of games.

Maybe that explains why there are like twice the subbers in PS+ and why PS+ generates way more revenue with players moving to higher tiers.

At the end they are both multi tiered game rental services with hundreds of games with a cloud gaming option in the most expensive tier.

Essential also include the discounts for the PSN store. Many years I saved more money with these discounts than the cost of the yearly fee.

Your incorrectly lumping in all ps plus subscribers and comparing them to gamepass subs. Only 30% of ps plus subs (14.1 million) are premium or extra as of March 2023. Where as gamepass is easily over 30 million. This number does not include gold subs. So to suggest that somehow ms is doing worse is completely wrong.

reinking

Gold Member
Except they aren't comparable if one offers three $90 games per year and the other does not. I get they are starting to lose value but one loses more than the other if the games being offered are older/cheaper.
You can compare value on what they offer but they are both game streaming services. That value is also dependent on what the customer is looking for.

THE DUCK

You can compare value on what they offer but they are both game streaming services. That value is also dependent on what the customer is looking for.

Of course they are both gaming streaming services, and yes it does depend. But when one is consistently offering things that cost more you would think it would affect the value proposition in its favor in most circumstances.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
….

Hey…

Psst…

Pssst, come here…

Big hint: these services are not sustainable at the base price and you are asking them to add more value for the price they ask you, this is not the first hit is free-ish business model (which is what both GamePass and PSN+ are on for their game library offering)….
The price increase is big and shite, the whole subscription for “free games” destroying user perceived game value and discouraging buying games is shite too.

The only saving grace here is that this might mean Sony has basically decided according to the data that this isn’t the future, and they will let MS chase the gold at the end of the loss leader rainbow .

Thirty7ven

Banned

Whose value is subjective to begin with and makes the sub value destructive to the ecosystem.

You talk as if Xbox first party is must play after must play.

For new console buyers PS+ Extra is a bargain too if we want to box the argument.

Add to that the fact that people on PlayStation buy a lot of games, which is not what’s happening on Xbox. MS has made it so that GP is the focal point of the console and now they are married to it.

Last edited:

yurinka

Your incorrectly lumping in all ps plus subscribers and comparing them to gamepass subs. Only 30% of ps plus subs (14.1 million) are premium or extra as of March 2023. Where as gamepass is easily over 30 million. This number does not include gold subs. So to suggest that somehow ms is doing worse is completely wrong.
I am counting PS+ subs as PS+ subs, because they are game subscriptions. This month Gold gets merged in GP, won't exist anymore as a separate game sub.

And no, nothing leads to think GP is over 30M. They got stuck at 25M for a while before they stopped to report the amount of game subs. Which was some time before they started to remove $1 deals and announce price increases.

And yes, MS is doing worse: if it isn't enough to see around twice the game subs in the PS+ side, you can look at the revenue both MS and Sony make from game subs: it's way higher in the case of Sony. Sony started with game subs way before than MS and always had better numbers.

Sony not only sells more consoles and more first party games than Microsoft: they also sell more game subs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom