• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Sadly it's a bloody awful game. I had it on gamepass on PC and it looked pretty, no doubt, but it was incredibly shallow and it really felt like the writers were pushing some bullshit at me. It's a hard pass from me.

On a separate note - thanks for the tips guys, nintendoeverything looks pretty good, though perhaps I just like shonky old wordpress sites due to what RockPaperShotgun once was...

Jooxed

Gold Member
Sadly it's a bloody awful game. I had it on gamepass on PC and it looked pretty, no doubt, but it was incredibly shallow and it really felt like the writers were pushing some bullshit at me. It's a hard pass from me.

On a separate note - thanks for the tips guys, nintendoeverything looks pretty good, though perhaps I just like shonky old wordpress sites due to what RockPaperShotgun once was...

Dang, the first trailer made it look pretty good and hilarious. I may have to cancel my physical preorder and look into it a bit more then.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Dang, the first trailer made it look pretty good and hilarious. I may have to cancel my physical preorder and look into it a bit more then.

It's a shooter with a fairly mediocre story attached to it in which every man is incompetent and every woman (while looking like a man/lesbian) is infallible. Yep, it's one of those. What it is not is what the hype claimed it to be, a Fallout game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Politics aside, it’s just not as deep or as memorable as it first seemed. There’s not really as much depth to the skills, gameplay, or story as a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game. I played though it on game pass, and that felt like the right price for it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Politics aside, it’s just not as deep or as memorable as it first seemed. There’s not really as much depth to the skills, gameplay, or story as a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game. I played though it on game pass, and that felt like the right price for it.

Absolutely - the upgrades are pointless, and the game itself is just a shooting gallery.

The problem with The Outer Worlds is the compartmentalized planets just didn't work and the way they implemented factions was just nowhere as good as NV. Spacer's Choice is basically a absentee landlord at best.

Compare that with the first time most players meet the Caesar's Legion in Nipton early in the game after CL crucified the powder gangers and destroyed the town.

Bethesda should release The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas for Switch, instead of trash like The Elder Scrolls: Blades. Not only do fans familiar with these games would like to see them appearing on Switch, there's a legion of Nintendo-only gamers who never played these games before.

But then again, Bethesda these days...

Bethesda should release The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas for Switch, instead of trash like The Elder Scrolls: Blades. Not only do fans familiar with these games would like to see them appearing on Switch, there's a legion of Nintendo-only gamers who never played these games before.

But then again, Bethesda these days...
I can only assume Bethesda doesn't want to take attention away from the more monetizable Fallout 76 and Blades. Why would they release games where they can only make money once, when they can release games that provide a revenue stream?

I can only assume Bethesda doesn't want to take attention away from the more monetizable Fallout 76 and Blades. Why would they release games where they can only make money once, when they can release games that provide a revenue stream?

Exactly. Why release genuine games with countless of hours of content if you can make more money from a very gullible audience who are into stuff like the "games" you mentioned?

Woopah

So apart from Pikmin 3 DX and the Mario collection, what other Nintendo published games are people expecting to be announced and released this year?

I got back into Astral Chain and I thought people were exaggerating about the length of File 06.

Holy crap, people weren't lying because that thing took me forever to finish.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
So apart from Pikmin 3 DX and the Mario collection, what other Nintendo published games are people expecting to be announced and released this year?

As E EightBit Man mentioned, Metroid Prime Trilogy (even though I've played through each game Multiple times.) :)

There is also a rumor about a 2D Metroid. I've heard rumors about something tied to Metroid Fusion, a revision of Samus Returns, a remake of Super Metroid, or an entirely new adventure (Dread?)

I'm afraid of getting my hopes up, as they've been burned too many times.

Still....I have hope.
🤞

Last edited:

Woopah

As E EightBit Man mentioned, Metroid Prime Trilogy (even though I've played through each game Multiple times.) :)

There is also a rumor about a 2D Metroid. I've heard rumors about something tied to Metroid Fusion, a revision of Samus Returns, or an entirely new adventure (Dread?)

I'm afraid of getting my hopes up, as they've been burned too many times.

Still....I have hope.
🤞

I'm not interested in the Trilogy but definitely down for a 2D Metroid 5. Samus Returns heavily hinted at a follow up to Fusion.

I'm not interested in the Trilogy but definitely down for a 2D Metroid 5. Samus Returns heavily hinted at a follow up to Fusion.

We'll see a 2D Metroid too if rumors are correct. Will it be a rumored Fusion sequel or Super Metroid remake? That's the question. Remember, next year is the 35th anniversary of the series (as well as that of The Legend of Zelda). We can expect big things.

Woopah

I
We'll see a 2D Metroid too if rumors are correct. Will it be a rumored Fusion sequel or Super Metroid remake? That's the question. Remember, next year is the 35th anniversary of the series (as well as that of The Legend of Zelda). We can expect big things.
I sure hope so! I enjoyed Samus Returns so another 2D Metroid would great for next year

Bakkus

35 is not a milestone, though. Only 5, 25 & 75 are of years which ends with 5.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t know about expecting to be released, because outside of a rumor we can really grab onto, literally nobody, not even it’s ardent fans, can predict Nintendo.

For what I want though, I would love if Nintendo premiered a big, brand new game out of nowhere. Much how Splatoon took everyone by surprise in 2014.

With so many big hits on the Switch now, lots of people are reading off a list to see which franchises are left, or predicting sequels to earlier Switch hits. While the games are exciting (BotW2 could be amazing), that approach bores me a little. I’d really like a confident mid-gen Nintendo to give us a killer app we don’t expect, instead.

Aldric

I don’t know about expecting to be released, because outside of a rumor we can really grab onto, literally nobody, not even it’s ardent fans, can predict Nintendo.

For what I want though, I would love if Nintendo premiered a big, brand new game out of nowhere. Much how Splatoon took everyone by surprise in 2014.

With so many big hits on the Switch now, lots of people are reading off a list to see which franchises are left, or predicting sequels to earlier Switch hits. While the games are exciting (BotW2 could be amazing), that approach bores me a little. I’d really like a confident mid-gen Nintendo to give us a killer app we don’t expect, instead.
Yeah same. I really hope this new medieval IP by Monolith exists and isn't just another Xenoblade game. Ideally Retro Studios would also have a new game ready for 2021 (not Prime 4) but at this point I'm pretty much sure that's wishful thinking.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yeah same. I really hope this new medieval IP by Monolith exists and isn't just another Xenoblade game. Ideally Retro Studios would also have a new game ready for 2021 (not Prime 4) but at this point I'm pretty much sure that's wishful thinking.

That really caught my eye for exactly that reason. Likewise, Monolith has cemented Xenoblade as a kind of anime-ish series...

...but it would be awesome to see their talents on a darker, more realistic tone and storytelling style, and a brand new game added to the Nintendo pantheon.

No more remakes,

What we need out of Nintendo is some sort of action title or a pure 2d platformer or something that is faster paced. We've gotten way to many games that are slower paced with RPG mechanics this year.

Pokemon Sword/Shield, Animal Crossing (while not a rpg, it's a slower paced game with rpg elements), Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Paper Mario (while not a true RPG, it's a lite rpg title), Tokyo Mirage port.

Don't get me wrong I love RPGs but Nintendo needs to do better in mixing it up in regards to their 1st party output.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Well we have Astral Chain and upcoming Bayonetta 3 thats coming out.

And I’m sure the people of 2029 will love it.

So, when do you guys think we’ll see some new announcements/the E3 stand-in? Has July been mooted as a possibility? Anything on the rumor end of the scale?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
And I’m sure the people of 2029 will love it.

So, when do you guys think we’ll see some new announcements/the E3 stand-in? Has July been mooted as a possibility? Anything on the rumor end of the scale?
We might get new game announcement same way we got for new Paper Mario.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
We might get new game announcement same way we got for new Paper Mario.

I was thinking that, but I kind of think Paper is an exception on further reflection. It’s literally just about to come out, and needs to start it’s marketing cycle.

I don’t think they’ll Twitter announce anything else, unless it meets that criteria.

I want them to have an E3 too. As much as I loved getting some new news with PM, I love the yearly tradition of blowing me away with an amazing show. Well. Most years, lol.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Jokes aside, I hope Bayo isn’t too far away. It’s just weird that a game announced approaching three years ago, has yet to materialize in any way, and Platinum keeps announcing new projects on top of it.

That would be a very nice ‘this year’ surprise, though. The time is right.

I hope Nintendo never does the early announcement thing again after Bayo and Metroid Prime 4. All that excitement, only to be kept in the utter dark for many years afterward... sucks. The others at least string the fans along with new footage every year.

I’d just rather know about what’s coming out, get excited for it, and be playing it in a few months.

Danjin44

Jokes aside, I hope Bayo isn’t too far away. It’s just weird that a game announced approaching three years ago, has yet to materialize in any way, and Platinum keeps announcing new projects on top of it.

That would be a very nice ‘this year’ surprise, though. The time is right.

I hope Nintendo never does the early announcement thing again after Bayo and Metroid Prime 4. All that excitement, only to be kept in the utter dark for many years afterward... sucks. The others at least string the fans along with new footage every year.

I’d just rather know about what’s coming out, get excited for it, and be playing it in a few months.
Weird thing is PG did really good job announcing Astral Chain and releasing the game not long after that. Why announce Bayo 3 when they had nothing to show other than CGI teaser?

Last edited:
35 is not a milestone, though. Only 5, 25 & 75 are of years which ends with 5.

Sure, but if Nintendo is willing to celebrate 35 years of Super Mario with lots of merchandise and rumored upcoming games, there's no reason to not do it for the other franchises as well. They didn't do anything spectacular with any of them when they turned 25 or 30. I guess they have learned from it.

“First off, Silver Case – that’s one game that he would love to release on the Switch. There have been discussions about it. At the moment, there’s nothing really concrete that he can say, but there’ve definitely been discussions about it, and he’s doing what he can to make that a reality.

As for other games – Killer7, put simply that’s pretty much up to Capcom. There’s not really a whole lot that Grasshopper can do about that, so again that’s pretty much in Capcom’s hands.

For Killer is Dead, that’s something that he would have to discuss thoroughly with Kadokawa Games. Different parts of the rights are kind of split up on that one.

But yeah, those are all titles that he would like to see come out on the Switch if possible. I guess right now, possibly the most realistic of those would be The Silver Case.”

Woopah

I was thinking that, but I kind of think Paper is an exception on further reflection. It’s literally just about to come out, and needs to start it’s marketing cycle.

I don’t think they’ll Twitter announce anything else, unless it meets that criteria.

I want them to have an E3 too. As much as I loved getting some new news with PM, I love the yearly tradition of blowing me away with an amazing show. Well. Most years, lol.

I agree with you but I think more games will meet that criteria. Rumours are Nintendo isn't having a Direct until the end of summer. That means the games coming out in August or September will be announced on Twitter I think.

Swedish retailer Inet.se started quite a ruckus back in 2018 when they shared a listing for the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch. At that time, they included a Feb. 2019 release date, which obviously didn't happen. When the retailer was reached for comment, they said they posted the info because they expected Metroid Prime Trilogy to be announced at that year's Game Awards.

Now we see that Inet.se is back at it again. The listing has been updated to remove mentions of the Game Awards from its "About" section, and now it shows a June 19th, 2020 release. While we would all love for that to be true, the retailer's shady past casts quite a bit of doubt.

Weird thing is PG did really good job announcing Astral Chain and releasing the game not long after that. Why announce Bayo 3 when they had nothing to show other than CGI teaser?

My guess is PG is having a tough time getting Bayo 3 to run at 60 fps under it's intended vision. The reveal came early but I don't think PG was expecting to have such a difficult time.

Astral Chain probably had an easier development cycle because PG settled for 30 fps which is very not like PG to begin with.

Danjin44

My guess is PG is having a tough time getting Bayo 3 to run at 60 fps under it's intended vision. The reveal came early but I don't think PG was expecting to have such a difficult time.

Astral Chain probably had an easier development cycle because PG settled for 30 fps which is very not like PG to begin with.
Astral Chain was not the first game to run on 30FPS, it was same with Vanquish on PS3/360.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Tbh, I’d just boot up Dolphin (does MP work well on it now?), or get a really nice CRT and GameCube/Wii, if you want to play Metroid Prime Trilogy. Maybe it does exist, but it seems like it could release anywhere from this holiday, to years from now, to never.

It won’t be portable, and maybe you’ll ‘spoil’ the experience if it does get announced for Switch, but at this point, I just want to relive these utterly. amazing. games without it hinging on Nintendo’s say-so.

Of course, now that I’ve said this, they’ll announce it.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love

EnchantedRectangularGhostshrimp-size_restricted.gif

I've never played Metroid Prime so i hope that rumour of the trilogy being released on switch is true.

The first is awesome and worthy of it's 10/10 scores. Especially if you played it at release.

I actually never finished Echoes............... I took a break from it and when I came back I had no idea how to get to where I needed to go too, this was pre YT era. It's a huge game and really easy to get lost with the dark/light world mechanic.

I've never played 3 so /shrug.

Alright how bout this, considering we got Collection of Mana for the Switch. What if Square does some sort of FF IV, V, VI SNES version compilation for the Switch? Would make sense.
I would really like the PSP versions of Final Fantasy IV and V. The sprites were always better in my view. I mean, I wish Square would release all the Final Fantasy games on the Switch. I'd play a Dawn of Souls Switch port.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

Will seriously give thought to skipping if this is the case. I eventually forgave the portable mode abomination in Xenoblade 2, and at least got some really impressive Docked visuals back for it.

This, though? There’s no excuse. And it certainly shouldn’t be happening again in general.

I do not want exclusive first party titles that run like they were ported off a PS4.

504p at the minimum? Oof. I love Xenoblade 2, but when the resolution takes a dive, it’s really noticeable. Oh well, I guess. I’m not cancelling my preorder, but that is disappointing news.

Jooxed

Gold Member
504p at the minimum? Oof. I love Xenoblade 2, but when the resolution takes a dive, it’s really noticeable. Oh well, I guess. I’m not cancelling my preorder, but that is disappointing news.

Obviously I would wait for digital foundries final verdict but not looking great. but who am I kidding I will still get it.

Top Bottom