• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

-Arcadia-

Banned
Never heard of the first game, but I love Panel de Pon and Wild Guns. Sure, I have it as reloaded as well - but sometimes you just want to play it as close to its original release.

Not sure why there is so much hate. People are really whiny when it comes to these free games.

Nintendo isn’t so great with release pacing, on both this and the VCs. They need to balance their more niche stuff with big hits that everyone remembers.

I agree that the games get undue hate every announcement, but it’s simply customers not knowing how to focus and express their frustration.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Never heard of the first game, but I love Panel de Pon and Wild Guns. Sure, I have it as reloaded as well - but sometimes you just want to play it as close to its original release.

Not sure why there is so much hate. People are really whiny when it comes to these free games.

I’ve played none of them so I’m happy at a chance to dig into some gaming history. If you love the medium that just seems to me to be the way to treat such a release. It’s dirt cheap so why do people complain?

StormCell

There are two problems. First, they aren't free. You have to pay something, however little it is, to have access to them.

Secondly, Nintendo's pace with these is unbearably slow. It's infuriating how they trickle feed these same stupid ROMs to us with each new console. Is there any valid excuse for making us wait years for something that is/was readily available in the old shop?

Shaqazooloo

Not sure what type of improvements it'll bring to Switch but at least it'll be supported.

D.Final

Banned

Not sure what type of improvements it'll bring to Switch but at least it'll be supported.

It will be curious to find out.
(maybe just improve the various games port?)

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There are two problems. First, they aren't free. You have to pay something, however little it is, to have access to them.

Secondly, Nintendo's pace with these is unbearably slow. It's infuriating how they trickle feed these same stupid ROMs to us with each new console. Is there any valid excuse for making us wait years for something that is/was readily available in the old shop?

You pay to play games online. These games are a bonus. Same goes with PSPlus and Games With Gold.

If you want a game, go and buy it. They still exist and the majority of them are reasonably priced.

StormCell

You pay to play games online. These games are a bonus. Same goes with PSPlus and Games With Gold.

If you want a game, go and buy it. They still exist and the majority of them are reasonably priced.

But they're not free on Switch.

Buying the games as currently available doesn't make them playable on Switch, which is what most people want and expect.

The only barrier is Nintendo, therefore anger and frustration.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
But they're not free on Switch.

Buying the games as currently available doesn't make them playable on Switch, which is what most people want and expect.

The only barrier is Nintendo, therefore anger and frustration.

I will never understand people being angry and frustrated over something like this. Nintendo didn't promise that you could play all or most of the NES/SNES library. They never promised to provide Final Fantasy III, Donkey Kong Country 2, Earthbound, etc. They simply stated that they would bring some games over to play on the system at random intervals since the SNES Online was launched. They have done exactly as they stated.

Expecting more outside of what they stated is entirely on you (royal you) and any anger is misplaced.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's still part of the value prop, and I don't think expecting better games than what they've offered is particularly unreasonable. There's a middle ground between what gamers want (a huge library of games) and what Nintendo wants (giving you nothing and you just pay them money), and Nintendo's not really striking a good compromise.

StormCell

I will never understand people being angry and frustrated over something like this. Nintendo didn't promise that you could play all or most of the NES/SNES library. They never promised to provide Final Fantasy III, Donkey Kong Country 2, Earthbound, etc. They simply stated that they would bring some games over to play on the system at random intervals since the SNES Online was launched. They have done exactly as they stated.

Expecting more outside of what they stated is entirely on you (royal you) and any anger is misplaced.

I think there's a share of the blame for Nintendo as well. They're meeting their promise in an underwhelming way for those who are frustrated. It's not an irrational expectation to get all or most of the classic Nintendo published SNES games on Switch because of past precedence.

Anyway, you can choose to not understand how Nintendo is letting some people down. I'm not full of hate but just thought it was worth making a couple of points in defense.

I’d much rather just be able to buy the NES and SNES games I want, than have to hope they get added to Nintendo’s app. As it is now, I don’t even have the app installed anymore.

Now that we saw a couple of Microsoft related titles on the Switch, why can't Ninty team up with them again to deliver us Goldeneye? Don't even work hard in it, just make it the big release for the N64 Switch Online thing and I'll never complain about the service.

Honestly if they ever rerelease Donkey Kong Country again they need to do a proper port and figure out how to get it to display properly on modern TV's.

The games just look like ass on modern displays, it's why I don't like the SNES classic version or Wii U VC versions. Super Mario RPG has the same problem.

I would much rather pay for a full DKC collection that has some work put into it.

Now that we saw a couple of Microsoft related titles on the Switch, why can't Ninty team up with them again to deliver us Goldeneye? Don't even work hard in it, just make it the big release for the N64 Switch Online thing and I'll never complain about the service.
There are more companies than just MS and Ninty involved AFAIK.
Activision still holds the Bond license (I think) and then you have the owners of the Goldeneye film to deal with as well.
As much as I'd love to see a remaster in the vain of Perfect Dark XBLA, seems to be pretty complicated to get everyone round the table and to agree on something.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly if they ever rerelease Donkey Kong Country again they need to do a proper port and figure out how to get it to display properly on modern TV's.

The games just look like ass on modern displays, it's why I don't like the SNES classic version or Wii U VC versions. Super Mario RPG has the same problem.

I would much rather pay for a full DKC collection that has some work put into it.
What’s wrong with it exactly? I never played the original so I’m kinda curious.

What’s wrong with it exactly? I never played the original so I’m kinda curious.

IDK, it's like the image is distorted which makes the games look more blurry then they do on CRT's with original hardware, modern displays just can't scale the image properly. The 3DS VC ports don't have this issue, DKC 2 actually looks good on a 3DS but playing it is literally.

Gw0Px.gif

Because SNES VC games on a 3DS are displayed using less then 50% of the screen and even on a XL it's super tiny.

-Arcadia-

Banned
My guess would be primitive 3D models converted to 2D sprites is just not something that ages well.

It looked amazing on CRTs, with low resolutions, but as something that really pushed the rendering techniques of the day, the drawbacks were bound to be exposed as soon as displays moved on.

Danny Dudekisser

Scanlines help immensely with those games. Those, moreso than normal pixel art, really just turn into a blocky mess without something to break them up a little bit. DKC2 still looked great when I played it a few years back using an OSSC with scanlines on.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I really wish CRT's would make a comeback. There was an interesting DF vid where they talk about CRT technology and how it's better then modern display technology for gaming.

Give me my heavy ass tv's back damnit. :p

It would be awesome if they came back as a niche market. The way John and Alex were talking about them, modern HD/4K versions would blow what we have out of the water.

Edit: Although knowing I never will have to move one again, has been... pleasant.😋

Last edited:
^ That does look kinda fun.

Speaking of, guys think we'll get anymore Fire Emblem this year? If Koei Tecmo did most of the heavy lifting for Three Houses then wth is Intelligent Systems working on? Pushmo for Switch?

Oh shit so Origami King is an Intelligent System game? I didn't know that.

Last edited:

Andyliini

I just yesterdy began playing Deadly Premonition Origins, and updated the game as well. I have a phyical version, and the version is 1.01. However, there was also 1.02 released, at least for the digital version. Does anyone know whether the physical version had the first patch on cart already, or was the second patch just never applied?

Danny Dudekisser

lol, StarTropics. I remember Retronauts shitting on that when that was the weekly Virtual Console game back in like 2008. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

StarTropics is one of the many, many franchises that has been neglected by Nintendo unfortunately. I doubt we'll ever see some games make a transition to 3D. Mach Rider, Ice Climber, Golden Sun, Starfy, Steel Diver, ...who cares? They won't sell as good as Nintendo's main franchises.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yes, they talk about games, at least for the most part. There have been good and pad podcasts alike, but for the most part I have enjoyed the content.

I mean more that they don't try to delve into "ethics" or "morality" or "offensive" shit. Like most of the modern gaming journalism landscape has become.

Jooxed

Gold Member

That looks thoroughly relevant to my interests!

I find myself playing a lot more games I ignored on other platforms just because of convenience and getting home after a long day and just putting on a pair of headphones kicking back with the switch. This would be one of them.

Also anyone that hasn't tried it yet Alien Isolation is a wonderful port.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recommendations of magazines and websites? Nintendolife seems pretty decent, but I assume there are others out there that I'm missing too?

There is Switch Player Magazine but it is pretty barebones when I got one of those for free.

There is GoNintendo though as an alternative to NintendoLife/Everything but as a fellow Brit, I recommend NintendoLife as it is mostly from the UK perspective and (as I last recall), half of them are also SEGA fans to which helps them judge games on their merits and not as much from bias.

However, this was from 8 or so years ago now so it may have changed.

Top Bottom