• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

bender

What time is it?
Guys, Hades might be the best game I've played in my whole life like holy motherfucking shit. The only thing that worries me is that it might get repetitive in time, though I just killed the second boss and died a fuckload of times and even the first 2 areas didn't ever feel samey.

Supergiant, yer gods!

Wish it were more than 20% off. I've never loved Supergiant's games from a mechanics standpoint.

One of the best parts, in my opinion, is the variance from run to run. Even the boss dialog changes every run. Ugh, now I have to go play it again.

Yeah! I'm not very far into the game, but I love the banter between Zagreus and Meg. I beat her with the sword and spear, beat the serpent with the sword, I suck ass with the bow and haven't tried much the shield. I got a boon that regenerated health with every attack which is just ridiculous, if I wasn't so careless I could have gone much further.

Wish it were more than 20% off. I've never loved Supergiant's games from a mechanics standpoint.

Hades is definitely a significant step up from Bastion and Transistor, not entirely sure you're going to enjoy it if you didn't enjoy the other two though.

bender

What time is it?
Hades is definitely a significant step up from Bastion and Transistor, not entirely sure you're going to enjoy it if you didn't enjoy the other two though.

Bastion is probably my "favorite" of their games but I thought the game play was mostly forgettable. I actively disliked Transistor. It's all too bad, everything else about their games is top notch.

Question about Hades, do you have to start from the beginning of the level each time you die ?
Yes, but the rooms you go through are randomised in each area up to the boss.
The pick ups and upgrades are also randomised, so you never have the same run.

It's a classic rouge-lite but the story is intertwined with this element, so it progresses in some way with every new run. It's an extremely clever and well-executed idea that genuinely brings something new to the genre. I'm not so hot on the game, personally. I like it a lot but not as much as some people do. That said, I can definitely see why it's getting so much praise.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just go email from Amazon........

We're contacting you about Fire Emblem 30th Anniversary Edition - Nintendo Switch. We recently learned this item is no longer available from our supplier. As a result, we've cancelled this item from your order and you haven't been charged for it.

WHY!!!!?
cay.gif

Eevee86

Guys, Hades might be the best game I've played in my whole life like holy motherfucking shit. The only thing that worries me is that it might get repetitive in time, though I just killed the second boss and died a fuckload of times and even the first 2 areas didn't ever feel samey.

Supergiant, yer gods!
Its definitely a great game. That feeling didn't sink in until my 80th run. I beat it on the 25th and managed to finish most runs after that, but the increasing difficulty options and giving gifts to the characters kept me going. Only one thing keeps it from being my game of the year.

Question about Hades, do you have to start from the beginning of the level each time you die ?

Just to expand on what N Nicktendo_ said, the randomization is really well done because of all the traps and shit, making every room feel fresh. Every chamber is so vibrant looking it doesn't get visually tiresome, the colors are so mesmerizing your brain keeps engaged.

They worked some magic with those visuals holy fuck.

DESTROYA

Just to expand on what N Nicktendo_ said, the randomization is really well done because of all the traps and shit, making every room feel fresh. Every chamber is so vibrant looking it doesn't get visually tiresome, the colors are so mesmerizing your brain keeps engaged.

They worked some magic with those visuals holy fuck.
So on average how many rooms do you have to clear to get a final boss to finish a level ?
I‘m generally not a fan of this type of game mechanic.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Lionel Richie Lionel Richie is playing a game about animated men and calling it the best game ever. So much for all of his waifus .2020...what a ride

I just go email from Amazon........

WHY!!!!?
cay.gif
Sorry to hear. I’ll keep looking out for copies. Not sure if US retailers will ship to you tough. Seems like they did a very limited run of these. Selling out in US in seconds

Last edited:

cabbage5k2

Can I just say that there's so much on the Switch at this point that it's bloody impossible to decide what to even pick up at this point? So I'm leaving this up to you poor bastards right now

Between Atelier Ryza, Langrisser, and Hades (weird mix I know), what would Nintengaf recommend? If there's a game better than these, suggest that as well.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Can I just say that there's so much on the Switch at this point that it's bloody impossible to decide what to even pick up at this point? So I'm leaving this up to you poor bastards right now

Between Atelier Ryza, Langrisser, and Hades (weird mix I know), what would Nintengaf recommend? If there's a game better than these, suggest that as well.

always hades ! I hate rogue likes and I loved hades.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
General question for multi-console owners: Seems like NintendoGAF tends towards physical games. Are you physical or digital for each console?

I am 100% digital on Xbox, PS, and Switch. Used to be physical on Switch but sold all of my games and bought them digitally.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
General question for multi-console owners: Seems like NintendoGAF tends towards physical games. Are you physical or digital for each console?

I am 100% digital on Xbox, PS, and Switch. Used to be physical on Switch but sold all of my games and bought them digitally.

On PC I go GOG as much as I can - as far as I'm concerned that's as good as physical. On Switch it's a mix for me but I try to get physical where I can - it's often cheaper.

I'm mixed across platforms. Depends on a few factors like if there's good sales, are they worth having physically, do I plan on selling of something in the future etc. Digital is nice n lazy tho, but for Nintendo stuff in particular, those have great resale value from Switch all the way down to the NES, so a lot of those are good to have physically.

bender

What time is it?

100% digital on Switch (well, all platforms actually). Nintendo will probably burn me but I look at it this way:

-With how games are patched, a lot of times the cartridge/disc is fairly obsolete.
-I don't want the clutter of game boxes anymore.
-Convivence of game switch

Chastten

Banned
For Switch I get everything physical if possible, although I also do have about 20 digital games. I don't mind digital as long as it's cheap enough. Valkyria Chronicles for €8 or the Trine Collection for €15 are steals.

I'm kinda thinking of buying an XSS and go full digital/gamepass on that next year though. Xbox games generally have absolutely no resale value and I don't particularly like the cover art of the games so I don't really mind it there.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Guys I just bought Smash for Switch, so did my friends so we could play it online but... well... is there a way to play it not laggy? I heard that the netcode is p2p based, is that true?

DESTROYA

Physical on all consoles but digital on PC.
Guys I just bought Smash for Switch, so did my friends so we could play it online but... well... is there a way to play it not laggy? I heard that the netcode is p2p based, is that true?
Sorry I can't help because it's one of the games I don't have.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
On PC I go GOG as much as I can - as far as I'm concerned that's as good as physical. On Switch it's a mix for me but I try to get physical where I can - it's often cheaper.
I'm mixed across platforms. Depends on a few factors like if there's good sales, are they worth having physically, do I plan on selling of something in the future etc. Digital is nice n lazy tho, but for Nintendo stuff in particular, those have great resale value from Switch all the way down to the NES, so a lot of those are good to have physically.
100% digital on Switch (well, all platforms actually). Nintendo will probably burn me but I look at it this way:

-With how games are patched, a lot of times the cartridge/disc is fairly obsolete.
-I don't want the clutter of game boxes anymore.
-Convivence of game switch
Physical on all consoles but digital on PC.
Good thoughts all. Always interested in what other people are doing. I'm hoping that Nintendo sticks with a back compat program going forward so I'm not left with a bunch of digital games but we will see...I'm likely going to be stuck with a bunch of digital games.
OMG I love day drinking.

And Persona 5 Royal.

And day drinking.

P5 soundtrack is 10/10. Pair with bourbon-neat, Gin and Tonic, or an Old Fashioned (no cherries; ruins a good cocktail).

Game is P2P. All fighting games are P2P, there are just different implementations (delay vs rollback) . The ethernet to USB adapter helps a little but the issue is that Smash's netcode is just particularly atrocious; games from 10+ years ago are more reliable. Nintendo remains far behind Xbox/PS with online. Splatoon is also a wreck. A shame because dedicated servers for Splatoon, decent netcode for Smash, party chat, and a real account system are not that difficult to implement.

Connecting this to two other topics about emulation and the cancelled tournament Lionel Richie Lionel Richie DESTROYA DESTROYA Mistake Mistake . While I respect Nintendo's decision to send the Cease and Desist to the Melee tournament using Slippi the other day I think it is important that Slippi and emulation exist if for no other reason than to light a fire under Nintendo to aim higher. It wouldn't be the first time the community has done something better than Nintendo and it certainly won't be the last. There are some issues that people get too torn up about like Mario 3D All Stars being emulation vs. a native port (ports and the DS content would be nice!) but there are other issues that Nintendo does need to feel some pressure on. In my opinion it is unacceptable that Smash can't be enjoyed casually online and Splatoon 2 doesn't support cloud saves because Nintendo stores ranked data locally vs server side. Hopefully things like Slippi serve to incentivize Nintendo to work on real online.

Fantastic article here on the history of Monolith Soft. A long read but worth it

Will have to give this a read later tonight. Thanks for sharing.

PLENTY of hot goddesses in Hades though, I want to bang top MILF mommy Nyx with vengeance and fury.
Ok, crisis averted, he's back to his normal depraved self.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I'm not against emulators just the fact that people using them mostly use illegal ROM's.
I completely understand and agree. I think Nintendo needs to take actions to protect themselves by taking legal action where necessary. I also see where that scene has forced Nintendo to take a little more action with Virtual Console, and the like. Important for preservation and nothing wrong with people using more powerful hardware to get more out of older games. A shame it has to be this complicated on all fronts. A very nuanced issue.

Eevee86

Physical if I can on Switch. I had planned on going digital in the future on the ps5 and xsx, but it sounds like the amount of games they can hold is pretty embarrassing.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've been neglecting my Switch for the past week or so as I've been playing my new PS5.
My gf has convinced me to give Demon's Souls a break for a few days though and play through Mario Galaxy for the first time with her instead.

I've been really excited to play Galaxy for a while but decided I wanted to save it for around the Christmas period and is just seems like a magical game that would suit the festive period. My interest in Galaxy is the main reason I bought 3D All-Stars and based on what I know about the game I'm extremely hyped for it.

Well fuck it, Christmas is nearly here anyway.
I start my Galaxy adventure tomorrow evening :messenger_beaming:

I’m almost 100% physical. I like being able to simulate the shopping experience by displaying all of my game collection. Also, I hate the idea of paying the same price for digital as physical, and in some cases more. Lastly, I like the ownership aspect of owning physical rather than just a license. I miss manuals. Also, owning physical on new disc based consoles is more making them pay for the disc and plastic if they’re going to charge me the same for digital.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

Mostly digital on Switch. 100% digital for the others.

The thing is, with Nintendo games, sometimes they can be so special, that I like a little collectible thing to hold onto.

Woopah

I've been neglecting my Switch for the past week or so as I've been playing my new PS5.
My gf has convinced me to give Demon's Souls a break for a few days though and play through Mario Galaxy for the first time with her instead.

I've been really excited to play Galaxy for a while but decided I wanted to save it for around the Christmas period and is just seems like a magical game that would suit the festive period. My interest in Galaxy is the main reason I bought 3D All-Stars and based on what I know about the game I'm extremely hyped for it.

Well fuck it, Christmas is nearly here anyway.
I start my Galaxy adventure tomorrow evening :messenger_beaming:
Keep us updated on how you do!

-Arcadia-

Banned
That's not even my main gripe with Yuzu. I just hate the fact that we already have an emulator for a widely available commercial release that's still in production. It just doesn't sit right with me.

I’m split. I see that perspective, but I’m also excited by the chance to see what these games could look like cleaned up, even possibly giving us a preview of the Switch Pro.

At least, from what I understand, games run like garbage and most of the big ones aren’t even supported? Plus, missing out on the biggest selling point of the hardware.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I’m almost 100% physical. I like being able to simulate the shopping experience by displaying all of my game collection. Also, I hate the idea of paying the same price for digital as physical, and in some cases more. Lastly, I like the ownership aspect of owning physical rather than just a license. I miss manuals. Also, owning physical on new disc based consoles is more making them pay for the disc and plastic if they’re going to charge me the same for digital.
Mostly digital on Switch. 100% digital for the others.

The thing is, with Nintendo games, sometimes they can be so special, that I like a little collectible thing to hold onto.
Yeah I’ve been regretting going ~100% digital over the past few days. Might have to switch back to physical for some Nintendo purchases.

That's not even my main gripe with Yuzu. I just hate the fact that we already have an emulator for a widely available commercial release that's still in production. It just doesn't sit right with me.
I’m split. I see that perspective, but I’m also excited by the chance to see what these games could look like cleaned up, even possibly giving us a preview of the Switch Pro.

At least, from what I understand, games run like garbage and most of the big ones aren’t even supported? Plus, missing out on the biggest selling point of the hardware.
Not the first time this has happened. PS1 and GBA were being emulated during their prime. Switch emulation still has a long way to go and even on games that are playable you run into all of the issues inherent with software emulation-Input lag, not cycle accurate, games that rely on hardware like touch screen + gyro etc. If I had to guess I would imagine that the majority of people using Switch emulators right now are hobbyists that own Switch hardware and games. Most of the time the piracy doesn’t really begin until the system is dead, GBA withstanding. Even then there is always some discussion around the ethics and legality there.

I would be willing to bet the greater immediate threat to Nintendo’s sales are probably the folks that install pirated games on the hardware itself. Another touchy issue because CFW is good for a lot of things but piracy inevitably comes with it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yeah. We had Dolphin in decent enough shape during most of Wii, running the Galaxies so well, they looked a generation ahead.

There was that Wii U emulator too, although I don’t really know what came of that. I guess BotW runs well on PCs, from what I’ve seen, so at least by the end it was good.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Supergiant, yer gods!
Does it have a plot?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, the writing and story are supposed to be one of the strongest elements. Supergiant always deliver the goods in this deparment.
Yes, but it's a VERY gameplay focused game with insanely awesome dialog in the middle. I legit can't think of any way to describe this game other than excellent at absolutely everything it does.
I'm mildly interested. Does it have a physical version I don't have to get from limited scammers?
Plot or "plot"?
They are both essentially the same thing if you think about it. You see XC2 had both types of plot.

Top Bottom