• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I’m not creative at all so the game is not my cup of tea. I love the idea though. I’m all for playing other’s levels.
Yeah I'm not patient enough to create levels. Too many other games to play.

Looks like UK only. I'm still surprised we never saw an AC themed Lite back in March. Seems like something that would have made a ton of sense. Depending on how 2021 hardware revision pans out I'll likely end up with two consoles. Debating if I should trade the second in for a Lite or keep it.

DESTROYA

gg DESTROYA DESTROYA , we gave it a good shot there though.
Did not know you were also a Celtics fan but with Nesmith and Pritchard should help scoring coming off the bench, they still need a big man though .
2BViEi4.gif

Last edited:
People are retarded if they really think Emulation never leads to piracy when they go hand in hand.
I’m sure all people that use then always rip the games they own :messenger_tears_of_joy:"pie_tears_joy::pie_roffles::pie_roffles:

I find it deeply unsettling that a moral debate over something that is AT BEST morally ambiguous was deemed as a derailment. It's kind of a moot point anyway since if Nintendo does decide to give a shit about yuzu, I'm pretty sure that thread will be locked either way.

Did not know you were also a Celtics fan but with Nesmith and Pritchard should help scoring coming off the bench, they still need a big man though .
2BViEi4.gif

Epic brofist my man! I'm cautiously optimistic about the Cs, I think Nesmith could be an elite shooter and they badly needed that from the bench. Pritchard is very plug and play and should also be a good shooter. Adding Teague doesn't hurt and TT gives them a good big to bang inside, but a lot depends on Kemba being healthy. Badly wanted Myles Turner, that would have been amazing.

They're engaged in a ST with the Hornets for Hayward, so hopefully Danny isn't done. I can still do with more bench scoring.

Woopah

I'm sure we were meant to get some huge game(s) by the end of this year but they've been pushed back for obvious reasons. If that's actually the case then a really strong Q1 sounds pretty logical if they intend to launch em then.
Monster Hunter and 3D world alone will push sales in Q1 and I'm expecting Pokémon Snap to release in that slot too. Definitely expecting a big 2021 from Nintendo.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I completely understand what you mean, but the problem is that they keep sending mixed signals and pissing off organizers that put their time and money into putting everything together. If they just came out with what their rules are, and what they expect, everyone involved would stand to benefit. Anyway, Hbox has always been there, so if you have the time for his video, he outlines the whole ordeal. Sounds frustrating
I watched the video and I can certainly understand the frustration that Smash fans have with Nintendo. Conversely I understand Nintendo's position. You and the video noted the hot and then cold nature of Nintendo's mixed signals. I there there is some truth to that but then again it is in part on the Smash community as well. There is a ton of baggage there with them using emulators, unofficial netcode for older titles, pushing fan games like Project M, all the behavioral problems w/ accusations of assault...they aren't doing themselves any favors. Nintendo can't support the community and at the sametime turn a blind eye to Slippi, Project M, etc being used in tournaments. At the end of the day I think Nintendo has allowed them a little bit of room in which to operate and it is probably the best they are going to get. It is really tricky but frankly I understand Nintendo's aversion. I wish it did not have to be that way but I respect their decision.

I find it deeply unsettling that a moral debate over something that is AT BEST morally ambiguous was deemed as a derailment. It's kind of a moot point anyway since if Nintendo does decide to give a shit about yuzu, I'm pretty sure that thread will be locked either way.
DESTROYA DESTROYA
Emulation and the homebrew scene in general is an interesting subject. On the emulation side there really isn't anything Nintendo can do. So long as they are "clean room" projects, meaning they are reversed engineered not using Nintendo's own code, they are 100% in the clear legally even if they are emulating current gen systems.

Emulation has definitely helped with preservation and can serve to augment the original experience. Higher resolutions, higher frame rates, enhanced textures, replacement audio, save states, game rewinding, online multiplayer, QOL enhancements, translations, restoring cut content etc. A lot of these features that were pioneered by the homebrew scene have ended up in official Nintendo emulators. Much like how jailbroken features made their way into official iOS releases. There are couple interesting videos out there but one of the guys that developed one of the first NES emulators was actually hired by Nintendo to build the emulators for Animal Crossing and the subsequent virtual console releases.

That said, there certainly the issue of piracy. Nintendo has to protect their IP and when people are freely sharing rom files online it becomes an issue for them. There are definitely people who use emulation and CFW for piracy. Launching back ups/rips via an emulator or on original hardware isn't necessarily the problem. At the end of the day it boils down to whether or not someone is playing a game they do not legally own (this is getting more complicated with patches and games that aren't all on the same cartridge/disc). A lot of the people who are active on the development side of these tools are people who own a lot of games and are motivated by preservation but there are those who develop tools specifically for piracy.

All of that said, I don't think there is really much room to make a claim about emulation one way or the other except to say that there isn't anything illegal about them but there is a legal problem when those tools are used for the illegal distribution of games. Nintendo definitely pays attention to what is going on in the homebrew scene and one could even argue that a lot of the official releases and enhancements that we have are a result of the pressure they have felt from the emulation community both from a feature side and to curb downloads of old games.

I really like that special edition. I wish it was easier to get.
I'll be looking out for preorders. They still aren't up at Amazon. If I end up with a second one I'll PM you.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Happy Thanksgiving, NintendoGAF!

What dis thicc boi said.

...I don’t know why I’m talking like that. I’ve been awake too long.

Happy Thanksgiving, Nintendo Gaf. There are a number of places on Gaf I appreciate, but here I have the most fun, the most insightful conversation, and I just feel... happy. A lot of Gaf, I have to speak softly, but carry a gigantic axe, because the amount of idiots spoiling for a fight is just too much. Not here. It’s the exact opposite, and the thing I came here for.

I appreciate that a lot.

I might not have things to say during a particular dry spell of games or news, but you guys are a lot like a little extra family for me, and I enjoy being here so much. (Big hug)

I think we should also take a look at the year, and how successful it’s been for us.

Jooxed Jooxed for once, did something right, and took a non-existent Nintendo scene on Gaf, and decided to try and build one. He did a superb job, also with all of his news reporting, and cleverness in getting people engaged, but it’s all of you guys too. Together, we’ve really made something special.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Let's hope it stays that way when the Switch Pro comes around. New hardware seems to prompt people into being idiots openly.

Tbh I think it'll be fine - we'll get drive-by trolling as happens in any Nintendo threads outside of this one, but among the Nintenchads not so much. I think the nature of Nintendo's work, that it's focused on pure gameplay where tech specs are a fairly secondary concern, tends to remove a lot of the bullshit from the scene.

Jooxed

Gold Member

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

I've seen Captain Tsubasa going cheap on Switch - is it worth getting? I saw it had something of a troubled release but has it been improved by updates?

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I’ll add on to what -Arcadia- -Arcadia- said. Thank you all for being so welcoming to a newer user like me. I joined GAF back in June and felt very welcome to jump in here and join in the conversation. I know I’ve exchanged XBL/PSN/Friend Codes with a few people on GAF via PM but shoot me a PM if any of y’all want to jump into some games online.

What dis thicc boi said.
This makes me uncomfortable.

If end up switching back to physical I’m going to blame you.

Last edited:
I’ll add on to what -Arcadia- -Arcadia- said. Thank you all for being so welcoming to a newer user like me. I joined GAF back in June and felt very welcome to jump in here and join in the conversation. I know I’ve exchanged XBL/PSN/Friend Codes with a few people on GAF via PM but shoot me a PM if any of y’all want to jump into some games online.

This makes me uncomfortable.

If end up switching back to physical I’m going to blame you.

I second your sentiments. I’ve been playing video games since I was 5 back in 89. I’m a Nintendo fan first, but I enjoy other consoles as well. I’ve never found the perfect sweet spot. I collect a lot, but never felt at home with that crowd. Here, we talk about playing, collecting, and looking forward to Nintendo games in a positive environment. You all are awesome for that! Thank you.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Is constantly patting yourself on the back about how friendly and non-fanboy you are, unlike all those *other* meanies on GAF, just thinly disguised passive aggressive fanboyism itself?

Hmm, something for this thread to ponder

Well, put it this way, nintenchads don't console war. I'd say that's a far healthier attitude than found elsewhere. Make of that what you will.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
2021 sounds like it’s going to be a big year for the Switch.

Taking a stab at things that are 2021+. What am I forgetting/what assumptions are wrong?

There are the things we already know:
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
  • Breath of the Wild Sequel
  • Bravely Default 2
  • Detective Pikachu
  • Pokemon Snap
  • Pokemon Unite
  • Monster Hunter Stories 2
  • Persona 5 Scramble
  • Shin Megami Tensei III HD
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • No More Heros III
  • Good-Feel's Samurai Title
  • Ys IX
  • Bayonetta 3 (I assume this won't be around until 22)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (Guessing this is a 22/23 release)
  • Pikmin 4 (Not convinced this one still exists)
  • New Monolith Soft game (This could release as early as next year)
  • Dragon Quest XII (Assuming no Sony deal, 35th anniversary next year, 22 release at the earliest)
  • Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai Infinity Strash (Assuming this is coming to Switch)
  • More Smash DLC
Things we have good reason to believe exist:
  • 2D Metroid (Mercury Steam)
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Pokemon Remake (Gen 4 remake? 25th Anniversary Edition?)
  • Mario 3D (Team is likely a good way through dev on their next project)
  • Fire Emblem Echoes (Koei Tecmo did a good portion of Three Houses and IS didn't spend all of their time on Paper Mario)
  • Mario Sports (Camelot is due up for another title in 21)
  • Kirby (21 is 3 years from Star Allies and Japan requires Nintendo to release at least 1 Kirby each year by law)
  • Zelda Collection (Grezzo for WWHD, TPHD, OOT 3DS, MM 3DS?; Wii hybrid emulation for Skyward Sword?)
  • Animal Crossing DLC (Total speculation, but a paid expansion would be very profitable; crazy not to)
  • Danganronpa (Full trilogy has been ported to mobile so I don't believe a Switch port is out of the question)
  • N64 or GameBoy NSO Games
  • eShop Title
  • Mobile Game
  • Switch Pro

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Taking a stab at things that are 2021+. What am I forgetting/what assumptions are wrong?

There are the things we already know:
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
  • Breath of the Wild Sequel
  • Bravely Default 2
  • Detective Pikachu
  • Pokemon Snap
  • Pokemon Unite
  • Monster Hunter Stories 2
  • Persona 5 Scramble
  • Shin Megami Tensei III HD
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • No More Heros III
  • Good-Feel's Samurai Title
  • Bayonetta 3 (I assume this won't be around until 22)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (Guessing this is a 22/23 release)
  • Pikmin 4 (Not convinced this one still exists)
  • New Monolith Soft game (This could release as early as next year)
  • Dragon Quest XII (Assuming no Sony deal, 35th anniversary next year, 22 release at the earliest)
  • Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai Infinity Strash (Assuming this is coming to Switch)
  • More Smash DLC
Things we have good reason to believe exist:
  • 2D Metroid (Mercury Steam)
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Pokemon Remake (Gen 4 remake? 25th Anniversary Edition?)
  • Mario 3D (Team is likely a good way through dev on their next project)
  • Fire Emblem Echoes (Koei Tecmo did a good portion of Three Houses and IS didn't spend all of their time on Paper Mario)
  • Mario Sports (Camelot is due up for another title in 21)
  • Kirby (21 is 3 years from Star Allies and Japan requires Nintendo to release at least 1 Kirby each year by law)
  • Zelda Collection (Grezzo for WWHD, TPHD, OOT 3DS, MM 3DS?; Wii hybrid emulation for Skyward Sword?)
  • Animal Crossing DLC (Total speculation, but a paid expansion would be very profitable; crazy not to)
  • N64 or GameBoy NSO Games
  • eShop Title
  • Mobile Game
  • Switch Pro

Bayonetta and MPT can probably we taken off the list next year.

We will also hear about the couple games Camelot has been working on

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Bayonetta and MPT can probably we taken off the list next year.

We will also hear about the couple games Camelot has been working on
Yeah, not anticipating to hear about MPT until 4 is ready and Bayonetta is Platinum so all bets are off there. I think a good number of titles on my list are 22+. One thing I wonder about is how many titles were planned for 21 will be delayed because of covid?

Is constantly patting yourself on the back about how friendly and non-fanboy you are, unlike all those *other* meanies on GAF, just thinly disguised passive aggressive fanboyism itself?

Hmm, something for this thread to ponder

Please get the fuck out of this thread.

Happy Thanksgiving my fellow Nintenchads, I love everyone of you. Here in BR it's just a regular thursday, I guess we don't have much to be thankful about. Anyway, I'm off from work today, so into Hades I dive!

Andyliini

Mario Golf Switch (Should it be called Eagles?) is a relatively safe bet, as Camelot releases them quite often and Mario Tennis Aces was at least a minor hit. It probably won't have Golf academy single-player mode, but maybe something.

I also hope for celecrations for Zelda's 35th anniversary. Hopefully at least Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Maybe it is finally time to remake OG Zelda from NES. Weren't there rumours of ALttP remake?

I'm a bit happy there won't be any interesting games coming until February. Gives me some good time to play Hyrule Warriors and other games from backlog.

Eevee86

Mario Golf Switch (Should it be called Eagles?) is a relatively safe bet, as Camelot releases them quite often and Mario Tennis Aces was at least a minor hit. It probably won't have Golf academy single-player mode, but maybe something.

I also hope for celecrations for Zelda's 35th anniversary. Hopefully at least Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Maybe it is finally time to remake OG Zelda from NES. Weren't there rumours of ALttP remake?

I'm a bit happy there won't be any interesting games coming until February. Gives me some good time to play Hyrule Warriors and other games from backlog.
Yeah, Hyrule Warriors and my CrossCode game that should be here soon should keep me busy until then. Also would like to play through Galaxy.

Top Bottom