• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future ‘A Star Wars Story’ Spinoffs on Hold at Lucasfilm

llien

Can't get much worse?
Challenge accepted.

IX storyline leaked:

* Luke was a nazi all along, as was the entire rebel force.
Queue ghost luke, ghost obi, ghost yoda appearing in a dream sequence all wearing swastikas.
* Chewie was an undercover sith lord all this time. He and Rose Tico lures all the remaining rebels into the millenium falcon
then blows it up, killing all remaining rebel leaders.
* Millenium Falcon being blown up will be shown in different angles, in slow motion, for 15 full minutes.

This all takes 30-35 minutes.

The remainder of he movie is :
* Chewie becomes emperor for killing all rebels
* Tico becomes his queen.
* Chewie and Tico have celebration sex for the next 45 minutes.

What is more progressive than a dog + Asian woman sex scene in a PG13 movie?
And we need the Asian audience. They like dogs and they like asian women, right, what can go wrong?

This would be worse, way worse than TLJ. What do I win?
I'd actually go to a cinema to see this... :D

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

This is not what I want. Disney is placing the blame on Solo bombing, but in my opinion, Kathleen Kennedy, Rian Johnshon and TLJ are the real problem. I don't think they get it, they think Solo is the misstep.

TLJ and Rian Johnson are TRASH, that is what needs to be shelved.
Actually Solo might be a misstep. It is a movie no one really asked for and the trailers haven't been that good. I'm sure Obi-Wan movie with Evan McGregor would have been a success if they made it instead of Solo.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Yes, TLJ destroying the original trilogy's legacy didn't help Solo ticket sales. But neither did cringey feminist droids ranting about droid rights. How laughably progressive of you Disney. Also, I totally did not buy the young Lando as this suave, sleek, irresistibly dashing ladies man and criminal. He was miscast badly. Seemed like a comedian playing the role in a skit before the punch line. I thought the gangster warrior leader was cool until
she took of her helmet and was a freckled face young girl. I know Disney, girls can be tough too. I get it. Neat. Powerful. Wow.
Disney is going to destroy this franchise, aren't they? Or are actively destroying it, I should say.

Whatever, post TLJ the only reason I paid to see Solo was because my brother and I had the same day off, wanted to hang out, and the timing was right.

Last edited:

MrRogers

The last jedi, rian johnson and kathleen kennedy are and have been the real issue in the destruction of this franchise, until disney excises them, their movies will continue to flop and be hated by the general audience.

Last edited:
Can you share Johnson's quote? (I'm at work and can't read twitter.)

Rian - please please please please pleeeeeeeaaaase please actually happen please please please please please

The quoted tweet - Our team of producers is offering to cover the budget for a remake of The Last Jedi in order to save Star Wars. Share this and spread the word to let @RobertIger & @Disney know you want this! This isn't a joke, we're ready to have the convo now! #RemakeTheLastJedi #StarWars

I legit liked RO and TFA. But I absolutely despised TLJ and have no interest in Solo after hearing just how muddy its reviews are. But yeah, they should really look into the root of the issue. And EA isnt helping by pumping out shitty Star wars games

Solo is a run of the mill action movie. It's okay for what it is, nothing too terrible beyond forced references and that damn fembot (who gets a hilarious death scene and a surprisingly karmic comeuppance).

I think Rich Evan's "sporadically interesting" comment about TLJ is too generous - it's sparsely interesting, and manages to waste everything interesting that it does do. Hyperspace ramming attack? Looks great, but completely wrecks space battles in Star Wars. Kylo wanting a third option with Rey? Immediately say "nah" and takes over the FO and will probably make a Death Star out of an actual star or near-star gas giant next time.

VAL0R

Banned
Rian - please please please please pleeeeeeeaaaase please actually happen please please please please please

The quoted tweet - Our team of producers is offering to cover the budget for a remake of The Last Jedi in order to save Star Wars. Share this and spread the word to let @RobertIger & @Disney know you want this! This isn't a joke, we're ready to have the convo now! #RemakeTheLastJedi #StarWars
Thanks for sharing this for me. Now take it back please. :rolleyes:

Sorcerer

I kind of feel that The Last Jedi was 2 different movies with 2 different visions. I swear I can tell Johnsons parts and the rest seems like Disney stepping in to make it more "Star Wars" like. They should have given him a stand alone film not connected with the trilogy and more control of his vision. I think what I perceive of as his vision for The Last Jedi was interesting. But stuff like canto bite and Lei Poppins was crap. I could be wrong of course.

Last edited:
I kind of feel that The Last Jedi was 2 different movies with 2 different visions. I swear I can tell Johnsons parts and the rest seems like Disney stepping in to make it more "Star Wars" like. They should have given him a stand alone film not connected with the trilogy and more control of his vision. I think what I perceive of as his vision for The Last Jedi was interesting. But stuff like canto bite and Lei Poppins was crap. I could be wrong of course.

Canto Bight was his vision, though. He thought he was being groundbreaking by saying "Slavery is bad!" and "Be nice to animals!"

Petrae

I tried the first two Disney Star Wars films and decided I had enough after the second. I didn’t (and won’t) see The Last Jedi, Solo, and whatever comes next.

Since Disney owns the franchise now, it can fuck up Star Wars and turn the franchise’s fans against each other all it wants. In fact, there’s more drama and action to be seen in watching Star Wars fans rip each other apart over the Disney Star Wars films than in the actual films themselves.

Doom85

Has there ever been such a petty director?

So we should not mock people who are downright lying about having a budget for a STAR WARS MOVIE? Like, sorry, a proper Star Wars movie isn't made on a budget that would give us something that looks like it should be on an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and these guys surely know that.

And you can't say it was a joke, the tweet flat out says it wasn't a joke! And you know there's people ignorant enough to "spread the word" and waste their time because of the immaturity of a few randos on Twitter. Like, this wasn't just criticism of the film or a petition for Disney themselves to make a change, this was a deceptive post and might have given certain people false hope. Sorry, Johnson isn't the one full of **** in this Twitter exchange.

ruvikx

Banned
Disney's Star Wars movies are already fan fiction tier sh*t... except with a massive budget & a mainstream media in their pockets (i.e. a media who overrate the movies to a farcical degree). The reason 'why' Rian Johnson looks like a d*ck with all his pettiness on Twitter is because he's perpetually looking to project the weird/bad behaviour of a handful of people onto literally everyone who thought his film was crap. Hence his permanent focus on sexists, racists, misogynists, trolls, rotten tomatoes 'hackers' & now this latest fanfiction remake. He wants to paint all his critics with the same brush.

He's an annoying little man tbh who made a terrible movie & cannot accept his faults. His own trilogy (if it's greenlit) will be a hilarious clusterf*ck at this rate (grab some popcorn) because he's in total denial and overestimates his own directing/writing abilities massively.

Typhares

Story update
Lucasfilm sources on Thursday characterized as "inaccurate" a report that future "Star Wars" movies falling outside of the regular trilogy storyline (Episodes I to IX) have been put on hold in the wake of the box office under-performance of "Solo: A Star Wars Story."

Instead, Lucasfilm told ABC News there are still "multiple" Star Wars films currently in development that have not been officially announced. Those projects are moving forward separate from an already-announced "Star Wars" trilogy being overseen by "The Last Jedi" director Rian Johnson and another series of movies from "Game of Thrones" producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

NickFire

All Star Wars movies should be on hold until they replace all the executives with people focused on the pre-Disney lore instead of personal agendas.

MayauMiao

The toys aren't selling, the franchise is bleeding loyal fans, all because Disney tries to appeal to a demographic that never had interest in Star Wars in the name of gender and diversity.

MoFuzz

Disney's Star Wars movies are already fan fiction tier sh*t... except with a massive budget & a mainstream media in their pockets (i.e. a media who overrate the movies to a farcical degree). The reason 'why' Rian Johnson looks like a d*ck with all his pettiness on Twitter is because he's perpetually looking to project the weird/bad behaviour of a handful of people onto literally everyone who thought his film was crap. Hence his permanent focus on sexists, racists, misogynists, trolls, rotten tomatoes 'hackers' & now this latest fanfiction remake. He wants to paint all his critics with the same brush.

He's an annoying little man tbh who made a terrible movie & cannot accept his faults. His own trilogy (if it's greenlit) will be a hilarious clusterf*ck at this rate (grab some popcorn) because he's in total denial and overestimates his own directing/writing abilities massively.
Agreed on all counts. If we were to be incredibly blunt about it, the most obvious "theme" that The Last Jedi repeatedly bludgeoned us over the head with is failure.

Sadly, both Rian Johnson and Lucasfilm are completely unwilling to admit that they did anything wrong whatsoever.

8AEB92AD745607CDB083C1D4B4A475E1EE109B9E

Last edited:

manfestival

Dude is petty level 1000.

What is even more disgusting is that Lucasfilm signed him on to do a trilogy they they have no put a hold on. The DB Weiss brothers whatever they are from GOT are working on some series and then Jon Favreau is doing a live action series using the latest disney tech.

My thoughts? Rian Johnson is trash, Jon Favreau is respectable, and the brothers have shown a clear decline in quality without George RR Martins books as a guide(label them as unsure to me).

I didn't hate TLJ at all. I was entertained by Solo.

But after Disney pretty much staying quite while the MSM and Hollywood cronies have really started to use logical fallicies and Salem witch era tactics to hunt the fans has made me almost go flat for Star Wars. Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson have really taken the wind out of my sails, and that definitely will be reducing the sales. Cause I bought it all... everything... they have curred my addiction. EA has helped too.

ickythingz

Banned
Can't get much worse?
Challenge accepted.

IX storyline leaked:

* Luke was a nazi all along, as was the entire rebel force.
Queue ghost luke, ghost obi, ghost yoda appearing in a dream sequence all wearing swastikas.
* Chewie was an undercover sith lord all this time. He and Rose Tico lures all the remaining rebels into the millenium falcon
then blows it up, killing all remaining rebel leaders.
* Millenium Falcon being blown up will be shown in different angles, in slow motion, for 15 full minutes.

This all takes 30-35 minutes.

The remainder of he movie is :
* Chewie becomes emperor for killing all rebels
* Tico becomes his queen.
* Chewie and Tico have celebration sex for the next 45 minutes.

What is more progressive than a dog + Asian woman sex scene in a PG13 movie?
And we need the Asian audience. They like dogs and they like asian women, right, what can go wrong?

This would be worse, way worse than TLJ. What do I win?
I fail to see how that is worse than TLJ

It's Jeff

Banned

Ah, I see. Rian Johnson is the Darksydephil of the directing world.

"Nothing I could do! Fucking online lag audience is misogynistic! I'm a former tournament director! Fucking scrubs. *snort* I'M HITTING BUTTONS OH MY GOD

Vangelis

Banned
Fuck Rian Johnson, Fuck Kathleen Kennedy fuck it all. Forcing your garbage SJW shit down my throat like some 2 bit whore. They ruined my childhood,d ruined it. Fucking goddamn I hate them. SJWs had to ram their shitty forced diversity down our throats to appeal to the "everyone wins generation:. Fucking BS. They make up harassment campaigns, they make up all sorts of fucking BS lies. I hate them so fucking much. I start shaking whenever I see this abortion of a franchise now. I considered getting a lawyer because this movie was so bad I felt I was robbed.

Fbh

Fuck Rian Johnson, Fuck Kathleen Kennedy fuck it all. Forcing your garbage SJW shit down my throat like some 2 bit whore. They ruined my childhood,d ruined it. Fucking goddamn I hate them. SJWs had to ram their shitty forced diversity down our throats to appeal to the "everyone wins generation:. Fucking BS. They make up harassment campaigns, they make up all sorts of fucking BS lies. I hate them so fucking much. I start shaking whenever I see this abortion of a franchise now. I considered getting a lawyer because this movie was so bad I felt I was robbed.

I don't really think any of these movies are bad because of SJWs or because of diversity. They are bad because they are bland, badly written movies. You could replace all the actors of these bad characters with white males and they'd still suck.

The issue with Rose isn't that she is an asian female, it's that she is a boring and annoying character that adds nothing to the movie and her entire story arc is a massive filler that takes like a third of the running time from the movie.
Rey isn't a bad character because she is female, she is a bad character because she is bland and uninteresting, made worse by the fact that she is perfect at everything she does and is basically a master jedi like a week after seeing a lightsaber for the first time.
Finn is a bad character not because he is black but because they had this really interesting backstory for him and then they do nothing with him to the point that in TLJ his importance is lowered to filler character tier
Phasma is a bad character not because she is female but because she has pretty much no personality or backstory and they couldn't even make her a threat in battle.

And it's the same in the rare opposite scenario:
Chirrut Îmwe from Rogue One isn't cool because he is asian (although Donnie Yen is awesome). It's because he is likeable character with a cool fighting style that introduces an interesting and unique type of force related character that's neither a Jedi nor a Sith (at least to the movies, I'm sure there's plenty examples in other media)

Diversity didn't fill TLJ with plot holes and stupid plot developments, it didn't have it dedicate a third or more if its running time to a shitty sidequest, it didn't make the action scenes unexciting or have bad characters

Last edited:
I don't really think any of these movies are bad because of SJWs or because of diversity. They are bad because they are bland, badly written movies. You could replace all the actors of these bad characters with white males and they'd still suck.

The issue with Rose isn't that she is an asian female, it's that she is a boring and annoying character that adds nothing to the movie and her entire story arc is a massive filler that takes like a third of the running time from the movie.
Rey isn't a bad character because she is female, she is a bad character because she is bland and uninteresting, made worse by the fact that she is perfect at everything she does and is basically a master jedi like a week after seeing a lightsaber for the first time.
Finn is a bad character not because he is black but because they had this really interesting backstory for him and then they do nothing with him to the point that in TLJ his importance is lowered to filler character tier
Phasma is a bad character not because she is female but because she has pretty much no personality or backstory and they couldn't even make her a threat in battle.

And it's the same in the rare opposite scenario:
Chirrut Îmwe from Rogue One isn't cool because he is asian (although Donnie Yen is awesome). It's because he is likeable character with a cool fighting style that introduces an interesting and unique type of force related character that's neither a Jedi nor a Sith (at least to the movies, I'm sure there's plenty examples in other media)

Diversity didn't fill TLJ with plot holes and stupid plot developments, it didn't have it dedicate a third or more if its running time to a shitty sidequest, it didn't make the action scenes unexciting or have bad characters

Exactly. The story is shit no one cares about the ethnicities of characters.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I hope this serves as an advert to stop milking the cow this way.

Even though Disney has done a good job with the Star Wars license, they were getting to a point where they were making too many too fast. I like this. Make Star Wars movies events again!

Rogue One and Solo have been my two favorite of the new movies. Then TFA and somewhere down the TLJ.

I would love a Fett and Obi-wan movie done right. I don't really mind if the premise isn't ground breaking (How DID they get the plans for the death star? How DID Han Solo get his name?) as long as its entertaining, which is exactly what I got out of RO/SOLO.

I think IX will have a good first trailer by JJ, and there will be a general upswing in excitement for it and it'll do fine at the theater and it'll retroactively make people hate TLJ a little less. My hope is that I walk out of IX feeling excited about Star Wars. I felt that after TFA, RO, SOLO.. but not TLJ.

Typhares

This is a hot rumor surrounding Kathleen Kennedy and the future of Star Wars.

There is no way the execs are happy for sure. As I said previously it doesn't matter to me if JJ makes the best movie ever I won't go see it on principle.
It's too late anyway, we can never get the original cast together in a movie again and that chance was wasted.
I do hope they can move on in a good direction though, I jsut want to see some change and definitely not a Ryan trilogy.

Doom85

I´m still waiting for a movie about Yoda. Preferably not directed by Rian Johnson.

That would be like one of the last things I ever would want a Star Wars film to focus on. Yoda's whole story and his species are one of the few unexplained elements of the verse and I'd prefer it stay that way. Not every single detail to a universe needs a thorough explanation.

Corderlain

Banned
The focus on appeasing a very vocal very small minority is never going to pay off in the end game. Companies will wisen up eventually.

Mr Hyde

Yoda's whole story and his species are one of the few unexplained elements of the verse and I'd prefer it stay that way. Not every single detail to a universe needs a thorough explanation.

Who has said anything about a thorough explanation of his specie? You can do a perfectly good Yoda-movie without the need to explain his origins.

Durask

I'll probably watch IX, but I think I'm done with new Star Wars movies/shows at this point. I don't trust David Benioff and Dan Weiss to make good original material (although 25th Hour is great).

Yeah. IMHO once they ran out of finished GRRM material, GoT took a huge dive in quality.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There is no way the execs are happy for sure. As I said previously it doesn't matter to me if JJ makes the best movie ever I won't go see it on principle.
It's too late anyway, we can never get the original cast together in a movie again and that chance was wasted.
I do hope they can move on in a good direction though, I jsut want to see some change and definitely not a Ryan trilogy.

I really want a Ryan trilogy, just separate it away from the old lineage of Star Wars. I hope his is in a Galaxy further away where he can create something new and different.

Typhares

I really want a Ryan trilogy, just separate it away from the old lineage of Star Wars. I hope his is in a Galaxy further away where he can create something new and different.

I can understand that, I didn't like TLJ but I can see some positives to it that if detached from previous strings could pay off.
However I just don't like his attitude in general on twitter or in interviews.
Then again I don't go to the cinema that much any more, Star wars was just one of those few things I thought I still would.

Top Bottom