• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Yourself from Completion and Embrace an infinite backlog

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Today marks a momentous occasion - every major gaming platform aside from switch has some sort of Game pass service, and every subscriber is going to have a backlog of hundreds of Game titles.
Now while that may sound daunting, it’s a chance to embrace freedom from completing AND defending The shitty games you might have wasted money and time on!
Previously, if you were 30 minutes into a 120 hr rpg that you already hate the voice actors, combat system, etc. you had to suffer multiple stages of grief, go online and ask if you were “playing it wrong”, “when does it get good”, and “is there any good rule 34 of _______” To desperately find some value. Afterwards, a quiet solemn feeling of regret washed over you as you looked up the trade value on GameStop.
Friend , you No longer do you have to do that!
Save your money, ever dwindling gaming time and life on earth. Free your gaming soul and never play more than you have to when it comes to shitty games.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
“is there any good rule 34 of _______”

Confused Feel The Bern GIF by Bernie Sanders

Last edited:

intbal

I finish everything I buy. Even if the game is crap. Even if I bought it fifteen years ago.
And each time I do, I feel a great sense of accomplishment.

People are different. If you enjoy taking small bites from a buffet of gaming, then that's what is right for you. I'll stick with my gaming habits because they make me happy.

I keep buying games despite de huge backlog. Not a issue for me as I don’t care to play the latest releases. In the long run I would probably buy the game anyway so why not take advantage of a good sale? Now with GP like services you can even save some money if the game is available on it.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I have a huge backlog of unfinished games but I agree OP. I no longer feel the need to prove I didnt waste money by finishing utter turds or things that I just don't like it.

I think the pettiest quit I've done is peacing out of Devil May Cry 5 after 1 stage because I didn't like the menus

MikeM

The backlog I care about are the games i’ve actually purchased. My investment in them are higher, so naturally I pay more attention to them. I finish almost every game I purchase.

Games on GamePass I am less inclined to finish. When I get tired of it, I delete and move on. Might be a symptom of the sheer volume thats on it.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
No Way Meme GIF

I inform myself in advance about my future purchases and specifically buy into games i usually like or love and then finish them. If there are to many i wishlist everything and wait for a good sale. I highly doubt that one of these services could improve my enjoyment of games. In fact i'm sure it would hurt it.

ItsTheNew

Games on GamePass I am less inclined to finish. When I get tired of it, I delete and move on. Might be a symptom of the sheer volume thats on it.
Sheer number of titles….. not being beholden to the price tag to finish games you aren’t enjoying…. Gamers, this is what freedom looks like.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
I don't feel the burden of backlog. If I play a game and don't like it, it's immediately out of m, backlog, as onl games I have desire to play are in my backlog and I buy games only if I'm certain I'll play them.

Last edited:

A.Romero

My console backlog is under control since the PS4 era, at least the ones I actually buy. PS+ don't count.

On PC on the other hand...

TBH I like that part of Gamepass. Just trying games around and sticking to the ones I feel like playing. Sometimes I get concerned that the game will be removed before I get to play enough.

ethomaz

Banned
I like to finish my games.
I start one and I finish it and so I move to the next.

When you play without objective I don’t enjoy or have desire to play.

I don’t have backlog too… I buy what play, and buy the next when I finish it… I trend to follow the new releases so when a new release I want to play happens I already finished the previous one.

Last edited:
I like to finish my games.
I start one and I finish it and so I move to the next.

When you play without objective I don’t enjoy or have desire to play.

I don’t have backlog too… I buy what play, and buy the next when I finish it… I trend to follow the new releases so when a new release I want to play happens I already finished the previous one.

Isn’t the ultimate objective to enjoy yourself, what if the game isn’t enjoyable do you still force yourself through it?

ethomaz

Banned
Isn’t the ultimate objective to enjoy yourself, what if the game isn’t enjoyable do you still force yourself through it?
I don’t remember having buying a game that I did not enjoyed ever.

I mean I buy the games I already want to play and I enjoy different mechanics and easy adapt to them.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You’re lucky. I’ve wasted a decent amount of money on games I did not end up enjoying enough to do a complete play through.
I do like different things so I just adapt to what the game gives me… I play almost all type of games like since these underground Japanse with weird turn based gameplay to high profile TPS.

I have one time I thought it was a waste of my money but I brought for $5 so I did not regret.

The Order… I mean the game has everything I enjoy but the abrupt end makes me fell it was a demo and not a game… it is weird the gameplay, story, graphics, character, settings, etc were are fine but the game just seems like a rushed first chapter of something big.

Last edited:
Sheer number of titles….. not being beholden to the price tag to finish games you aren’t enjoying…. Gamers, this is what freedom looks like.
Usually it's the opposite though. People always post about wanting to play any dog shit game that gets added simply because it's there.

If you applied this logic to Netflix 95% of it's content would disappear because nobody is watching it. Except we both know that isn't the case.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Did this years ago brother

Strangely, it actually increased my number of completed games.

ethomaz

Banned
Usually it's the opposite though. People always post about wanting to play any dog shit game that gets added simply because it's there.

If you applied this logic to Netflix 95% of it's content would disappear because nobody is watching it. Except we both know that isn't the case.
I can do add something about Netflix.

I just stopped to subscribe because every time I want to watch a move the movie is not there… I don’t watch things I don’t want… I mean I don’t random things… I don’t have time to that.

So Netflix never did anything to me… I think it is pretty bad in delivery until they started to do something original but there are very few originals that I wanted to watch that didn’t make it worth to sub again.

And I trend to forget or lose the desire to watch with the time… if I want to watch a new movie today and somehow I miss it I don’t have desire to watch it in the future… it is very weird… I got interested in that time frame and after I forget it… it is like I move on to the next interesting movie.

I’m gemini in sign btw.

Last edited:

Shifty

Meanwhile, pirates (and I suppose, the filthy rich) have been enjoying that laissez-faire approach to finishing games since time immemorial. Neither is terribly healthy imo.

A lower barrier to entry removes the sunk-cost aspect if you're not into a given title, but it also devalues the rest of the content and artificially raises player standards because dropping something and moving on becomes easy.
It becomes a popcorn game favoring media with an explosive hook or other compulsive properties - diamonds in the rough don't get time to shine, because there's another exciting new prospect just around the corner waiting to be started for that new-thing dopamine hit.

ethomaz

Banned
Meanwhile, pirates (and I suppose, the filthy rich) have been enjoying that laissez-faire approach to finishing games since time immemorial. Neither is terribly healthy imo.

A lower barrier to entry removes the sunk-cost aspect if you're not into a given title, but it also devalues the rest of the content and artificially raises player standards because dropping something and moving on becomes easy.
It becomes a popcorn game favoring media with an explosive hook or other compulsive properties - diamonds in the rough don't get time to shine, because there's another exciting new prospect just around the corner waiting to be started for that new-thing dopamine hit.
It is how I see mobile games.

Shifty

It is how I see mobile games.
There are certainly parallels to be drawn, though I think mobile has its own set of context due to the race-to-the-bottom pricing accompanied by almost-guaranteed microtransactions. The barrier is low, but doesn't go away once you've stepped over the threshold.

I remember at one point having entire pages of trash timer-based pay-the-meters-down games installed on my iPad, and just hopping to the next one whenever I hit a paywall. In retrospect, that was the 'what the fuck are you doing with your life' moment that made me realise how insidious that ecosystem is.

Though more relevant to the thread topic, I had a similar WTF moment years earlier on account of having access to a chipped PS2. Skipped over countless classics because there was nothing stopping me from hopping onto the next cool-looking thing as soon as the novelty began to fade from the last one. Like an all-you-can-eat buffet, it's exciting at first, but eventually becomes a hollow experience.

ItsTheNew

.Skipped over countless classics because there was nothing stopping me from hopping onto the next cool-looking thing as soon as the novelty began to fade from the last one. Like an all-you-can-eat buffet, it's exciting at first, but eventually becomes a hollow experience.
I hear you when it comes to being overwhelmed at first by the amount of choices, however the novelty wears off and the comparison to a backlog or library starts making more sense. Why not follow your spirit and try a bunch of stuff? No harm no foul, like a buffet. You’ll eventually land on one you’ll sink your teeth into.

My backlog is pretty huge, but it's somehow genre categorized.
I'm this type of guy who likes to play different games of the same genre all at once back to back.
The last three months of the last year were all metroidvanias including the metroid series and the castlevania series.
No I got back into a genre I've not played for about 17 years, CRPGs.
This is gonna be exhausting AF, but I find it easier for me and better for my time to not need to learn new mechanics and a way of play every time I sit and play.
But this CRPGs marathon is gonna drain me, I'm pretty sure of that.
As for completion, I like those achievements and trophies, but I don't look them up and try to do them anymore, they are gonna need a new playthrough mostly or I'll just spoil a game for myself.
I just now play and If it was a couple of trophies till the plat, I just look them up, maybe I missed something in the game, if I found them ridiculous, I move on.

Those subscription services are not something I like currently, I don't buy a lot of games on release and I'm a PC user, my only option is game pass and that's shitty on PC.
Besides, with the mostly shittty games releasing nowadays, I'm glad I've something to keep me playing.

Absolutely agree. I have multiple distinct periods in my life where I burned out on gaming because I had the idea that I needed to finish every game I started. Gamepass + a huge backlog (between Xbox Series X and Playstation 4 I own around 900 games) have changed me for the better. I have finished more games in the last 3 years than the 10 years preceding that, and it is entirely due to the fact I stop playing a game when I'm not having fun and try others. What happens is that I might mess around with 5 games before one really clicks with me and then I go crazy with it and finish it up. I also have little refresher games that I play here and there for something different. Not feeling any obligation to finish a game is so freeing.

Top Bottom