• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Franchises with a cult following but poor sale. What make them so?

thief183

Not a franchise but I would say Spiders RPG’s or Piranha Bytes RPG’s, both keep trucking along with low sales and a fan base that buys everything they put out. That said I am definitely not saying their games are underrated because they have serious issues.
Their game have issues but they are still the most refreshing rpg you can play if you don't like markers on the map and a real sense of progression.

george-costanza-open-mouth-shock.gif
You should try it , not bad actually.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You should try it , not bad actually.
kretos kretos

I'll preface this by saying this will (I promise.. okay I'll try) my last post concerning Hawaiian pizza.

With that said. Look, firstly it's very important to use fresh pineapple instead of canned. The latter is still good (ofcourse) but fresh wins. Secondly it very important for the sweet and slightly sour (if the pineapple is fresh) to have a good savory contrast in the form of some good meat. Personally I'd go for some good aged ham. Thirdly I'd recommend that you'll put some hotsauce on it, compliments both the sweet and savory flavors as well as slight sourness. Some drops of bbq sauce is nice as well..

I'd say silent hill cause despite all the positive reactions it has received , it didn't sell that much and it just hurts seeing a beloved franchise going through all these obstacles.

GeorgPrime

Banned
For me it has to be Metriod.

What Retro did with Prime as to modernize the franchise still wasn't enough. It was a First Person Adventure while First Person Shooter games were getting more commonplace.

What other cult franchises that couldnt achieve high sales? What made them so?

They have a cult following but not the mainstream. Thats why they are cult but cant sell enough copies. You answered your own questionl

GymWolf

Imagine shifting from an interesting topic to a "pineapple on pizza" topic...

next what? we are gonna transform the ass topic into a "how do you wipe your ass" topic?!

Last edited:
Dishonored comes to mind. I'm not sure why.
Also Manhunt series. The game has a cult following but the sales didn't reflect that. This is because of it's rating.
Also Shenmue. Shenmue was a hard sell to mainstream.

Last edited:

tassletine

I think any game that expresses a personal vision, anything unique or does something new is going to get a cult following. The rest is just the person who invented it sticking it out or not getting bored.

I nominate the games of Jeff Minter who has been doing his own trippy work since the 80's. The first game I ever bought was by him and he's still going strong as an independent.

trikster40

It usually comes down to poor to no marketing. That, or it’s just so niche that it doesn’t appeal to mainstream.

Asuras Wrath comes to mind.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Phantom Dust has always had a cult following. I know because I'm in the cult. Purple Psychic koolaid is half price on Sunday.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Imagine shifting from an interesting topic to a "pineapple on pizza" topic...

next what? we are gonna transform the ass topic into a "how do you wipe your ass" topic?!

Hey man I just extrapolated the question and that example popped up in my head.

Didn't mean to transform this interesting topic and keep you from giving your input on it, besides complaining about a lighthearted slight derail.

😏😘

Last edited:

GymWolf

Hey man I just extrapolated the question and that example popped up in my head.

Didn't mean to transform this interesting topic and keep you from giving your input on it, besides complaining about a lighthearted slight derail.

😏😘
I was joking bro :lollipop_squinting:

Mister Wolf

Loh6_The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_in_the_Sky.jpg

R.724448352db26e8af7074d12dad0744e
LoH_Sen_no_Kiseki_cover.jpg

The Legend Of Heroes: Trails franchise has great characters, great world building, and great individual story arcs that are interconnected building towards a much larger story that's still ongoing. I wouldn't say they generate poor sales when judged alone, obviously Falcom id making a profit but when compared to their peers like Final Fantasy, Persona, Xenoblade, or Namco's Tales series then yes the sales are poor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom