• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Franchises with a cult following but poor sale. What make them so?

mcjmetroid

I love me some Metroid but I wouldn't say it's a cult following. I mean it's definitely not mainstream or anything like that.
A cult game to me would be a game like Hollow Knight.

But you are right though. Either way Metroid is awesome :)

kretos

Banned
Like pineapple pizza 💗

george-costanza-open-mouth-shock.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
To be honest many franchise I see soul fanboys stress tf out listing how good the franchise is it’s crazy but Socom is the perfect example.

Neil Young

Prime, still my favorite game of all time. I don't think it was cult though since it sold a couple mil.

Maybe Beyond Good or Evil for me and, perhaps I'm mis remembering, but I thought that Fear Effect was so stylish and cool. Shadowrun for the SNES.

Tigerlord

I thought Bayonetta was a cult classic game. I didn't think it sold or did well on Ps or Xbox, but when Nintendo funded the sequel, console fanboys went ballistic
either because Sony or Microsoft didn't think funding it over the next dudebro shooter at that time, or they were losing an exclusive they couldn't hold on to,
I think...

I just purchased Nintendo Switch online solely to try Super Metroid for the first time and it was worth it. Damn it is so freaking good, can't wait for Dread.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Metroid's sales aren't bad, they just aren't in the same league as other Nintendo games. It's usually 1-2 million per title, similar to Kirby just that Kirby games are most definitely cheaper to make.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elysion

Banned
As far as Metroid Prime is concerned, I think the game simply came a generation too late. It feels very much like a 90s action-adventure in the vein of Zelda or Tomb Raider, as opposed to the more purely action-oriented games that were popular in the 2000s, like Halo or GTA (and I don’t mean this in a negative way).

Had it come out on the N64, I’m pretty sure it would’ve been much more successful, and could’ve probably carried that popularity into the following generation (which is what happened to most IPs that were popular on PS1 or N64). If Tomb Raider for example had first come out in the 2000s, I don’t think it would’ve become as popular as it was in the 90s. That style of games was no longer en vogue at that point, at least not to the same extent as before.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's a matter of acquired taste.

Like pineapple pizza 💗
Pineapple & Pepperoni. So damn good.

Different strokes for different folks.

Same thing with movies. Just depends on taste and what you've been exposed to. If all someone watches are Marvel movies, something like Darkman is going to be too visceral and weird for them.

tkscz

For me it has to be Metriod.

What Retro did with Prime as to modernize the franchise still wasn't enough. It was a First Person Adventure while First Person Shooter games were getting more commonplace.

What other cult franchises that couldnt achieve high sales? What made them so?

Metroid after Prime tends to get pretty decent sales in the US.

Earthbound/Mother is more of a cult title. It's usually because the games aren't bad, they have something that draws a specific crowed, from story to art to gameplay, it just clicks with a group of people. But it doesn't click with the mainstream (EB got really bad advertising unfortunately) but that group that got to enjoy it will continue to and really show their enthusiasm for it.

LordOfChaos

Does Titanfall 2 count?

Up there with the best few SP campaigns in the last few years, great multiplayer that I actually liked and I'm not that big on competitive shooter multiplayers, but it released in a crowded release window with games that very much outmarketed it and had bigger followings.

Everyone I know who played it loved it. It's just not the latest skin on CoD or whatever, so sales were just whelming.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone I know who played it loved it. It's just not the latest skin on CoD or whatever, so sales were just whelming.
Sales were underwhelming because EA sandwiched the game between the, at the time, latest CoD and the latest Battlefield.
I think that the success of Apex gave Titanfall 2 a boost though. I think it's somewhat of a sleeper hit.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Metroid has multiple million selling entries. It is niche only by Nintendo first party standards and that's largely on account of the fact that it isn't very popular in Japan.

When I think of cult games, I think of stuff like Llamasoft, or Trackmania, or Wonder Boy.

Birdo

Banned
The Mother series.

I mean, it doesn't help that one of it's games never released outside Japan, but still, Earthbound was a cult game, as was Earthbound Beginnings on Wii-U.

balt1kr1s

Dishonored.
It’s an amazing series if someone is into immersive sims, have definitely a cult of followers (including myself) but second game stopped making money really - less than 3 million copies of I remember correctly which is not bad number itself, however not great from AAA perspective.

On the other hand, Bethesda games are not doing well in recent years but it’s a topic for another conversation…

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Anything Battletech-related (Mechwarrior). It has such a hilariously bleak, cynical, and unrealistic setting, but the big tower crushing mechs with unique individual stylings really just do everything for me. Apart from years of lawsuits and poor management with people who held the split-up IPs, the game saw an almost 18 year gap in presence since MW4; absolutely tragic. Still, as of recently, I'm enjoying MW5 a lot. It has scratched such an unbelievable itch for me. I can only hope Microsoft sets the franchise ablaze again now that they have full IP control in regards to the video game. It was one of the first 3D games you could play, a year before N64 even existed.

Vagswarm

It wasn't really a franchise since there's only 1 game, but Eternal Darkness. It was too slow (literally, the movement was slow), difficult, and hard to get into, which is a turn-off for mainstream players. I found about it through word of mouth and had to read a few reviews, because I wasn't getting into it at first. Turned out to be an unbelievable game in the end.

wipeout364

Not a franchise but I would say Spiders RPG’s or Piranha Bytes RPG’s, both keep trucking along with low sales and a fan base that buys everything they put out. That said I am definitely not saying their games are underrated because they have serious issues.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Has a Blade Runner avatar... Pineapple pizza should be pretty good, I will try it some day.

Do you complement it with seafood ?

I usually have some Surströmming on the side.. <3

In all seriousness I'm slightly wondering if you're being sarcastic, seafood next to Hawaiian pizza is something I would've never thought of if it weren't for your post. Lol! =)

I do like to put some hotsauce on it! 🔥

Sweet, savory and spicy 😏

Ontopic: I guess the Spintires/Mudrunner/Snowrunner series

Last edited:
Top Bottom