• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Four Years Since Its Announcement, Rare Continues To Hire For Everwild

havoc00

Happy 4th anniversary to Everwild! Well, it's kind of an anniversary anyway, as this month marks exactly four years since Rare's new IP was first announced back at X019 in London during November of 2019.

We haven't heard much about the project in 2023 aside from a couple of social media posts, but Rare is clearly still working on it! The company is hiring for multiple positions that mention work on Sea Of Thieves and Everwild.

For example, here's what a job advert for an Engine Programmer says about the role:

"Our cutting-edge Engine team are seeking an aspiring Engine Programmer to join us. You would be working across both Sea of Thieves and Everwild, collaborating with game teams to identify scalable approaches to new problems, optimising and hardening new and existing systems, tracking down tricky bugs and developing new runtime and workflow capabilities to enable us to continue delivering experiences the world doesn’t have."
For those who haven't been in the loop, we've seen all sorts of stories about Everwild over the past few years suggesting it's undergone some major changes internally at Rare, and for now we still don't really know what it is.

Xbox Game Studios seems keen to keep this project in the background and remain quiet until there's something significant to say, and ultimately that's probably for the best. We're certainly hoping it'll end up being worth the wait, but there are plenty of skeptics who question whether it'll ever hit the market at all. Only time will tell!

coffinbirth

stealth gamepass drop in a few months confirmed?
Hadn't considered that...I was actually thinking more along the lines that this game might have pivoted more to a multiplayer experience along the lines of SoT. If that's the case, I'd say they'll try to drum up that rollout as much as possible, otherwise you might very well be right.

Sounds like they announced it a bit early? 2019 and still hiring?
Must be big 🤷‍♂️. Probably switched from UE4 - 5, and maybe a couple reworks. Hopefully it's a bigger, more modular game. Sounds like it's similarly structured like Sea of Theives and maybe some of the lessons from SoT helped the development of Everwild.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
It looked very interesting, but it's a shame they started from the beginning.

Damn how time flies this trailer was 3 years age.

Last edited:

ebevan91

i like the art style and the designs of the characters, creatures, etc.

I just want to know what the game is about, assuming Rare and Xbox do themselves.

mdkirby

It was announced during Microsofts desperate blowout to announce every project, even when they were little more than an idea in someones head, just so they could say "look at all these games we have coming". Then promptly spent a year or two releasing practically nothing. That plus the typical development time for AAA being 4-7 years, it's no wonder we've heard little about it.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Rare games are special so they're worth waiting for. I feel like this, Perfect Dark and Fable are gonna be big when they release.

We can say anything about Xbox but they're the reason these games exist. We need more of these old school video game made by veteran developers

Mr Hyde

Take your time. I can wait. No problems at all.

matt damon waiting GIF

Robb

Gold Member
At this point I’m pretty much expect everything we’ve seen of it to be scrapped and that the re-reveal will be a very different game.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Must be big 🤷‍♂️.... Hopefully it's a bigger, more modular game.

Not necessarily, it was just announced way too early. Maybe it's big, maybe it's not (or maybe it may or may not be big when it actually gets produced, who knows what it is today,) but either way, it was hung up on creative and production issues that really say nothing about the scale of the thing.

That's a problem with game marketing these days, the "Big Announcement." These announcements are big commodities, company stock moves on product reveals. Also there are so many shows now (or were until the pandemic, now a lot are virtual shows but then every company needs its own stream annual if not seasonal. ) Having an "okay" show with no megaton means failure, and failure reflects on the whole company/conglomeration. Xbox failing to announce a new Halo or Gears surprise in June might affect every other Microsoft division. Thus you get a lot of these vaporware announcements where the corporation tries to will a project into existence by taking a really good pitch teaser to the public.

(This exists in other mediums too, for example look at all the Star Wars projects Lucasfilm trumpeted about at its Celebration only to have involved heads say in interviews years later that they're just waiting for a script.)

(This also is not a new thing, look at for example the E3 2005 PS3 announcement event where nothing was real except Insomniac's Resistance... it also kind of worked out actually, since a lot of actual games got greenlit and pushed to incredible levels so that Sony wouldn't look the fool when the hardware actually had to sell some games. Sometimes it's not a bad tactic, per se, to actually commit to a big project only on the promise of it being a possibility; sometimes you need to dream big and then put stake on those dreams becoming real. But it can also, of course, go horribly wrong.)

So I get why this happened. I also get why consumers hate it.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Not as bad as prime 4, it's been 5 years since the development was rebooted and we still haven't seen a single screenshot.
True I guess. Although it doesn’t feel worse to me since we got the Prime Remaster this year from them, which frankly is one of the best looking Switch games to be released - and the new control scheme fits perfectly.

If that’s anything to go by they seem to be on the right track at least.

daTRUballin

6+ years without a new Rare game is insane to me.

Not as bad as prime 4, it's been 5 years since the development was rebooted and we still haven't seen a single screenshot.
As a starved Rare fan, it calms me down a little bit when I think about the fact that Retro Studios hasn't released a game in almost 10 years lol. Retro fans have it way worse.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It looked very interesting, but it's a shame they started from the beginning.

Damn how time flies this trailer was 3 years age.

I forgot until reading this thread. I honestly expected to see this out by 2021. This game could have actually helped out the S or X...

Crayon

They'll get 5 years of play out of it on various stages. The game might fall right off the radar a month after release so this is a good way to get more mileage out of it since they'll get minimal blowback.

It was announced during Microsofts desperate blowout to announce every project, even when they were little more than an idea in someones head, just so they could say "look at all these games we have coming". Then promptly spent a year or two releasing practically nothing. That plus the typical development time for AAA being 4-7 years, it's no wonder we've heard little about it.

It’s a good job they acquired Bethesda when they did, what would the Series X/S output be like if they hadn’t.

They announced it when they had no idea what the game was, genius...
Whether true or not, I personally don't consider the announcement year nor CG trailer year to count because of this.

The minute I'm shown actual gameplay footage is when I know the actual clock is ticking.

For example, Perfect Dark's clock hasn't started yet, but the clock is about to run out with Hellblade 2.

it was not at e3 it in 11 19 at xo9 fan fest

Splitting hairs. Doesn’t matter where the initial reveal was, not my point. It was showcased at an e3 in order to have a grander, flashier show with lots of games, and hardly any of them are out yet and it’s been years. Which is why you shouldn’t publicly announce games before the concept has even been finalized, is my point.

Last edited:

daTRUballin

Let's also not forget that COVID broke out a few months after the X019 trailer was shown. That had to have slowed things down even more on top of all the other development issues.

Yeah... other than that's one game versus an entire lineup.

And in the grand scheme of things it actually hasn’t been that long, either. We’re talking preproduction for Retro’s version of Prime 4 didn’t even begin until January 2019. I feel like 2024 was always the target date once that reboot happened and it was handed over to Retro.

mdkirby

It’s a good job they acquired Bethesda when they did, what would the Series X/S output be like if they hadn’t.
Dire, but honestly not much different thus far. Two of the 5 Bethesda games released since the acquisition were timed exclusive to ps5, there was the surprising smaller hit game with hi-fi rush, the train wreck of redfall that won’t be missed, and regardless of the hype starfield at least for me has been a very disappointing miss, they’ve lost their magic there. So their acquisition so far at least hasn’t given much of value, I’m sure it will eventually with more dishonoured, elder scrolls (if they figure out what went wrong with starfield), prey, doom, quake. But many of those are probably years away.

At this point I’m pretty much expect everything we’ve seen of it to be scrapped and that the re-reveal will be a very different game.
I don't think they'll throw away assets and the art style, so it's not a complete redo. We'll see what the game ends up being but from what was shown it didn't look like anything had been decided one way or the other.

Top Bottom