• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox and Rare celebrate 5 years of Sea of Thieves. Deluxe edition released. Game is now Steam Deck verified.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/03/16/sea-of-thieves-season-9/

Summary​

• Season Nine is the latest Sea of Thieves content update, available March 16 and free for all players with Xbox Game Pass and across Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Windows 10/11 and Steam.
  • Enjoy discovering the gifts of the Chest of Fortune, exploring new Legendary Voyages, and earning ever more riches and rewards.
  • A new Deluxe Edition released to mark the fifth anniversary offers the option of extra goodies to equip from the outset.
Now We Are Five

All these additions and changes keep the game evolving and improving as Sea of Thieves approaches its fifth anniversary, and we’ve got an extravagant birthday bash all planned out. Naturally, you’re all invited, so be sure to check out the rundown of what’s in the diary and how you can join in the celebratory shenanigans. We look forward to seeing you on the seas!

If you’ve yet to dive into Sea of Thieves’ inviting waters but you’re keen to be part of the anniversary revelry, the newly released Deluxe Edition gives you another option to get involved. Containing all the permanent content added to the game since launch, it also includes a wide-ranging assortment of bonus content – cosmetics, emotes and Ancient Coins to spend in the Pirate Emporium – that ensures you’ll sail in style from the very start. If you’re a Steam gamer, there’s more good news as Sea of Thieves is now Steam Deck Verified too!
Sea of Thieves Deluxe Edition

Celebrate five years of Sea of Thieves with this special edition, which includes a copy of the game with all permanent content added since launch, plus a wide-ranging assortment of extra cosmetics and collector’s items. In addition to the 2023 Edition bonus content – Hunter Cutlass, Hunter Pistol, Hunter Compass, Hunter Hat, Hunter Jacket, Hunter Sails and 10,000 gold – this edition of the game comes with a further Deluxe Bundle containing the Black Phoenix Figurehead, Black Phoenix Sails, Crab Dab Emote, Deck Hide Emote and 550 Ancient Coins for use in the Pirate Emporium.

Looks like Sea of Thieves is celebrating its 5th year with a new Deluxe release and Steam Deck verification.

Possibly Rare's most successful game and possibly the most successful GAAS game out there (on home consoles) it's crazy how much of a success this has been in the console GAAS space, and it's been holding well on PC too.

Crazy to look a 5 years of Sea of Thieves and see heavier invested stuff like Babylon Fall come and go so quickly. They really did a good job. I wonder if they'll keep going after Season 10 given that they are working on a couple new games that should be releasing soon that last few years, one unknown project, and whatever Everwild is suppose to be.

I had a decent time with it the first handful of seasons but I was done after mid 2019, but it seems for other this game has done well in retaining longer term players.

radewagon

bored christopher walken GIF

Five years since their last game, not sure that’s something to celebrate,
R.10ea29bc93164891475a30e461998f39

Jokes aside, 30 million SoT players think differently and that was middle of last year. Any genre game would kill for such an invested gamer audience. Any studio would kill for the freedom to work on a title post release for 5+ years. Any gamer can appreciate the dev sustain being like clockwork for seasonal releases from Rare and SoT.

Rare is back baby and better than ever.

Three

R.10ea29bc93164891475a30e461998f39

Jokes aside, 30 million SoT players think differently and that was middle of last year. Any genre game would kill for such an invested gamer audience. Any studio would kill for the freedom to work on a title post release for 5+ years. Any gamer can appreciate the dev sustain being like clockwork for seasonal releases from Rare and SoT.

Rare is back baby and better than ever.
Dude that 30M isn't concurrent

Last edited:
Dude that 30M isn't concurrent
Never said it was. I'd expect as much from you though.

Here's a tracker if you like, has a recent Steam API feed too if you want to drill down for that segment - Also below are some Steam facts for you about player numbers. Now let us not shit up another thread with stupid numbers/console warring.

The game would launch on Steam on June 3, 2020. By July 2020, Sea of Thieves would top 15 million players, including 1 million units sold on Steam and over 3.3 million players logging in during June 2020.[128] The total number of players would continue to rise, reaching 20 million players by March 2021.[129] During the month of June 2021, following the release of the Pirates of the Caribbean crossover A Pirate's Life content update, 4.8 million players logged in, setting a new record.[130] In October 2021, Sea of Thieves had reached 25 million players.[131] On Steam, 5 million copies have been sold as of December 21, 2021.[132] During the 2022 Xbox/Bethesda Games Showcase, a trailer for Sea of Thieves Season 7, the game had reached over 30 million players.[133]

I can see your reaction to a popular Xbox game though -

FppKj7vWcAABDUq

Are you just here to piss on good things or do you actually play SoT? The game is fun, it's well supported and any dev would love to helm their ship sailing 5 years of post launch support.

Last edited:
I still haven't tried it. Take those waves and put it on a Jet Ski racing game you cowards

Fuck yes, Wave Race was awesome. A SoT based version would be killer. Throw in a bunch of other elements to really bang out a game e.g. wakeboarding, ski, speedboat racing. Perhaps a Wreckfest type water/waves game.

I truly hope platforms, devs, engines, assets etc all start using and sharing things far more than the industry does. Hopefully the next gen time and costs involved push things like the Unreal marketplace a lot further. A game that had the water/enviro systems of SoT and the data points/scale of Flight combined with Forza for car/vehicle bits and TPS/FPS action from whatever game there all mashed up together for a GTA style title would be something crazy indeed. Making a good game or story out of that however is a whole other task. It does suit an open world or sandbox type game bloody well though.

Last edited:

Three

Never said it was.
It's a good thing I bolded what I was replying to then huh?

You said "30M, developers would kill for such an invested gamer audience". That 30M isn't an invested gamer audience, it's a tally of launching the game, that's all I said. An invested gamer audience would be based on retention and concurrent users. That's all I was pointing out.
any dev would love to helm their ship sailing 5 years of post launch support.
No doubt and I'm sure you're having fun but this has nothing to do with what I said.

Last edited:
It's a good thing I bolded what I was replying to then huh?

You said "developers would kill for such an invested gamer audience". That 30M isn't an invested gamer audience, it's a tally of launching the game, that's all I said. An invested gamer audience would be based on retention and concurrent users. That's all I was pointing out.

No doubt and I'm sure you're having fun but this has nothing to do with what I said.

Is this what you're in this topic to "celebrate 5 years of SoT" with? Laughable.

Steam alone last year for Season 7 had 4.5 million unique players in one calendar month, you didn't read my statement above did you? Cool I'm done arguing bullshit in an unrelated topic and jamming it up, again with you. You don't like Xbox, I get it.

Three

Is this what you're in this topic to "celebrate 5 years of SoT" with? Laughable.

Steam alone last year for Season 7 had 4.5 million unique players in one calendar month, you didn't read my statement above did you? Cool I'm done arguing bullshit in an unrelated topic and jamming it up, again with you. You don't like Xbox, I get it.
You're the one arguing here for god knows what reason. I just said the 30M isn't a metric for invested gamers it's just a tally. Its concurrent users you want, and those aren't bad even, so I'm not sure what you're upset about
Screenshot-20230317-024028-Chrome.jpg

4.5 Million is amazing whenever season 7 was, I'm happy for Rare and that it brings you so much joy but I did read your statement above. Still doesn't change the fact that the above is a measure of invested players and not 30M. Can I say I expected it from you too to be so hyperbolic and emotional, you love xbox, I get it?

Last edited:
You're the one arguing here for god knows what reason. I just said the 30M isn't a metric for invested gamers it's just a tally. Its concurrent users you want, and those aren't bad even so I'm not sure what you're upset about
Screenshot-20230317-024028-Chrome.jpg

4.5 Million is amazing whenever season 7 was, I'm happy for Rare and that it brings you so much joy but I did read your statement above. Still doesn't change the fact that the above is a measure of invested players and not 30M. Can I say I expected it from you too to be so hyperbolic and emotional, you love xbox, I get it?

Again how is this celebrating SoT hitting a 5 year anniversary? Why are you even in this thread, what have you contributed to it?

I don't know, about as much as anyone else? Maybe even more than the gif. It's ok to say "true 30M isn't a measure of invested gamers but concurrent is doing great" you know. You don't need to get so stupidly confrontational.

I never called it unique or MAU or concurrent. I cited multiple sources for numbers too. If you feel the need to get into semantics, for whatever reason is beyond me, I guess I have another to add to my ignore list.

If someone misstates something, can't a person even point that out?
You are just being sensitive.

See above. Xbox, Rare, gaming news sites all have state 30 million numbers. If you need to see concurrent or MAU I linked the ones available via Steam above in my first post even. I don't see you pointing that out.

Once again back to the topic at hand. Rare is back and I hope Everwild is every bit as successful and something I can enjoy solo or with my kids and friends as I have with SoT. Kudos Rare, keep it up.

Lasha

Five great years. Experiencing SoT's growth first hand has been an absolute pleasure. I'm happy that Rare had the fortitude to stick with it's vision of a PvPvE sandbox instead of chasing trends. Now if Rare could only figure out a way to release Everwild...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

My god you are an insufferable console warrior. Any time anyone says anything *vaguely* negative or critical of Xbox, you come swooping in to bitch and moan.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sea of Thieves and No Man's Sky will go down as prime examples of when devs stick to a project and make it successful instead of abandoning it after mediocre launches
Rainbow Six Siege too.

That game got grilled at launch. Reviews werent even hat good either. But supposedly they listen to feedback and improved the game. Sales and online users picked up a lot. This game was a top 10 seller for a while too.

Banned
I have to play it again soon. I didn't even complete any of the tall tales yet. are they still all playable in the game? or are they doing some Destiny 2 shit and remove story content after a while?

but a while ago I played it for like a month, and grinded currency to buy 2 pets lol. I was surprised how generous the game is with that tbh. if you know what to do

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Great game. Sea of Thieves is one of my all time favorites and I've put in over 3,000 hours so far. I've had tons of fun and have met some great people playing SoT.

This update is fairly large and has added quite a bit to the game.

I have to play it again soon. I didn't even complete any of the tall tales yet. are they still all playable in the game? or are they doing some Destiny 2 shit and remove story content after a while?
All nine original Tall Tales are still there, culminating in a battle with the Gold Hoarder. They also added two new Tall Tales that lead up to the introduction of Captain Flameheart into the world, Seabound Soul and Heart of Fire.

Banned
All nine original Tall Tales are still there, culminating in a battle with the Gold Hoarder. They also added two new Tall Tales that lead up to the introduction of Captain Flameheart into the world, Seabound Soul and Heart of Fire.

good to know!

Hestar69

best game MS has made in the last 5 years too... I wish it had more PVE/co-op stuff like the pirates dlc tho..Games great but a few things I wish they would add to make it better.

Roberts

Happy to see the game is still going strong.

I wish I got to play it more often, but my friends have moved on to other things. Never managed to become a pirate legend so I load it up occasionally and do a trip or two. Also, Tall Tales are the best and thankfully I have a few more to do.

I don't know if it is the best MS game of the last 5 years, but it definitely one of the most important ones. There is literally nothing like it on the market.

Rockondevil

I absolutely loved the Alpha and the first year of the game.

I had to stop for half a year and I now occasionally log in and join random crew for a sail.
The game is still fun, probably more so if you know what you're doing, but I just can't get my head around it.
I open the menu and there is just too much going on for my little brain.

SpokkX

Such an amazing game

My most played in the last 10 years - however I feel kind of done now and the game is def slowing down. It is such an amazing, deep and complete experience now so I think they should look at a sequel with more physics, bigger world, more interaction etc

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Everytime I hear about SOT, just reminds me how it's hidden by forced coop, and the many times I've uninstalled it. I just don't see how this game is still alive. Might check on it again to see if you can actually use a ship and not forced to a shitty slooth because of coop.

Lasha

Everytime I hear about SOT, just reminds me how it's hidden by forced coop, and the many times I've uninstalled it. I just don't see how this game is still alive. Might check on it again to see if you can actually use a ship and not forced to a shitty slooth because of coop.

How is it hidden by coop? It's a multiplayer game. The actual PvE is shit.

Such a shame Gamepass isn't part of Steam yet. Does the game even run well on the deck if not then I'll not bother with the double dip.

ManaByte

Gold Member
best game MS has made in the last 5 years too... I wish it had more PVE/co-op stuff like the pirates dlc tho..Games great but a few things I wish they would add to make it better.
There are strong rumors they’re working on a secret dlc about an island named after a monkey.

HDinRed

Neo Member
Love the visuals and the world you inhabit in the game, just never found the game play all that compelling, even with friends..

TVexperto

Great game. Sea of Thieves is one of my all time favorites and I've put in over 3,000 hours so far. I've had tons of fun and have met some great people playing SoT.

This update is fairly large and has added quite a bit to the game.

summary of video?

RagnarokIV

When I played this around launch, you just sail around doing nothing.
If I play now, with a friend or two - is there anything compelling for us?

I know it’s asking too much but I would love to see the Rare of old. A sequel to Kameo was always a game I wanted on next gen hardware. It looked great on the 360 for it’s time and would look amazing on newer hardware. Just my two cents chaps.

Ozriel

M$FT
Everytime I hear about SOT, just reminds me how it's hidden by forced coop, and the many times I've uninstalled it. I just don't see how this game is still alive.

Probably because other people have no issues playing co-op?

I know it’s asking too much but I would love to see the Rare of old. A sequel to Kameo was always a game I wanted on next gen hardware. It looked great on the 360 for it’s time and would look amazing on newer hardware. Just my two cents chaps.

Sea of Thieves actually looks like something Rare of old would have made…if the focus was on multiplayer.

That said, I know what you mean.
Hopefully Everwild turns out well

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Probably because other people have no issues playing co-op?
The answer is that simple. Right.. while my response is my personal opinion and feeling, not taking into consideration of the friend coop side.

I personally don't get it. Don't take it as an attack on possible beloved SoT..

The way I see it is I don't hear anything about SoT unless it's this one off news. I see what brings me back to Destiny and why it has its following -:good blend of pve / pvp / single player campaigns / pvepvp . I personally do not see it for SoT.

Last edited:
Top Bottom