• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport | Review Thread

What's the average score Forza Motorsport will get on Metacritic?

• 95 - 100

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 72 55.8%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • 75 - 79

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 70 - 74

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • <70

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GHG

Same old Forza shite then. I'm never surprised at Turn 10's overpromising and under-delivering, but I'm always disappointed.

The above review reads like a 6/10 throughout, but they give it an 8 for some reason.

Same with regard to the physics from what's being written there.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Been a Gran Turismo man since the first one. This will be my first Forza game as I have been disappointed with the progression system / career mode in the last few installments of GT. I hope this tickles the car-RPG bone a bit more. Playing on PC with a 4070 Ti.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So it's basically GT Sport content-wise with some weird choices like car progression and other minor annoyances. NOw waiting for guys like SuperGT to chime in about the most important thing: car handling.

Not a flop by any stretch, but like with every recent Xbox releases, it's not screaming of greatness. Got my PC copy w/o early access, this is the platform wehre the game would shine, IMO.

I'm watching: since i'm always follow him and myself playing a lot of GT7. But i can't put my finger on this game. It feels a bit inconsistent with the enviroment, cars, menu, the switching between 60fps and then 30fps in pits. Also color and lighting looks a bit too much in general?

Doesn't look bad, but for that "GT7 killer" Where we were constantly thrown to death with it here on neogaf, this is nothing more than a racing game that in my opinion feels less serious than GT7, and has taken a little too much from Horizon.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
That game is two gens old but still has more wow factor than its successors for me. The absolute pinnacle of the series and looks like it will remain so forever if FM8 is the last one. The sense of occasion engendered by the soundtrack in the menu screens has never been matched.

YES! You nailed it. It felt like a special occasion. A celebration. And it still does, to this day. I remember the day I picked up the disc copy from my local game store like it was yesterday.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Doesn't look bad, but for that "GT7 killer" Where we were constantly thrown to death with it here on neogaf, this is nothing more than a racing game that in my opinion feels less serious than GT7, and has taken a little too much from Horizon.
'Froza Plastic' problem is here too, sigh. Maybe GT7 has less tech, but it's way more consistent and grounded, yeah.

And we don't talk about VR here.

Freeman76

People really expect a small studio like Turn 10 to outdo a juggernaut like PD? Unrealistic expectations.

Game should end up in the high 70s Low 80s and that's okay.
I think most lf GAF just generally hates games. Doesnt matter what the release is, every thread is full of people moaning and whining about some shit or other. Nobody seems excited about games on here, its pretty depressing.

I mean, this is a racing game. Handling is fine, performance is fine, plenty of cars, plenty of events. Wtf is there to moan about.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
'Froza Plastic' problem is here too, sigh. Maybe GT7 has less tech, but it's way more consistent and grounded, yeah.

And we don't talk about VR here.

I wouldn't say less tech in general. They have some advanced weather system, good online environment (which in my option, still can see some improvements), they also have the RT (not during gameplay, but do we miss it? so far i'm not seeing the benefit in Forza, reflections look even worse). Car models are consistent, together with lighting, trackdetails and feeling even with the DualSense.

Forza will be the GT7 for the Xbox, but it's not going to be the killer, what some people here believed in back then with the old initial trailer thread. Polyphony Digital has a great platform for a next big full next-gen GT game, something Forza should've had to be for Xbox, but it's failing in that particular part.

I think most lf GAF just generally hates games. Doesnt matter what the release is, every thread is full of people moaning and whining about some shit or other. Nobody seems excited about games on here, its pretty depressing.

I mean, this is a racing game. Handling is fine, performance is fine, plenty of cars, plenty of events. Wtf is there to moan about.

let's face it, how many times did people needed to hear that this "build from the ground up game" needed to be a GT7 Killer, because it was only for the "next-gen"? There was a thread back then and even the official GT7 thread was used for that bullshit, because of Xbox and 12TF nonsense. Now few years later and it bites them back with an "okeyisch" game, and it's not the first one.

Last edited:

This is quite true sadly. But just remember this one quote "The loudest ones in the room, are usually the weakest ones" it relates well for those types of people on the internet/social media and real life.

People who tend to cry and QQ a lot about anything in life tend to be weak minded, no direction, no drive and just live a shit life so they are looking too feed off hate and poison the world with their negativity because they want others to suffer too. This is why you block them on the interwebs and cut negative people off in real life. There is a difference between constant troll QQ and constructive criticism. And you can usually tell which one is which.

The silent ones are confident/happy in their decision making and know usually what to expect and they don't bitch and moan and just move on with their life without affecting others.

EDIY - oh look 2 of them got triggered. On the ignore list they go! Lol.

Last edited:

Video isn't about FF16 in case you are wondering.

Freeman76

This is quite true sadly. But just remember this one quote "The loudest ones in the room, are usually the weakest ones" it relates well for those types of people on the internet/social media and real life.

People who tend to cry and QQ a lot about anything in life tend to be weak minded, no direction, no drive and just live a shit life so they are looking too feed off hate and poison the world with their negativity because they want others to suffer too. This is why you block them on the interwebs and cut negative people off in real life. There is a difference between constant troll QQ and constructive criticism. And you can usually tell which one is which.
100%. I mean this is meant to be one of the biggest enthusiast sites on the web but you would think it's a forum built to just piss on gaming in general.

Sure there are releases that deserve a bit of shit, but on here every thread is full of people throwing negative comments no matter what the game is, then arguing with each other about it.

That game is two gens old but still has more wow factor than its successors for me. The absolute pinnacle of the series and looks like it will remain so forever if FM8 is the last one. The sense of occasion engendered by the soundtrack in the menu screens has never been matched.
FM4 is the best console racer for me. And I played the lot.

GRID
Legends
NFS Shift
GT 5, 6 and 7
Forza 5, 6 and 7
Project Cars

None of them hold a candle to FM4 as far as I'm concerned. It was a drug.

GHG

100%. I mean this is meant to be one of the biggest enthusiast sites on the web but you would think it's a forum built to just piss on gaming in general.

Sure there are releases that deserve a bit of shit, but on here every thread is full of people throwing negative comments no matter what the game is, then arguing with each other about it.

Yes, it's an enthusiast forum so the vast majority of people can see how so many modern games are going backwards in many respects compared to their predecessors (often made by the very same studios that made the superior and feature rich previous titles).

Sorry people are not feigning positivity when they are being charged more for less.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Yes, it's an enthusiast forum so the vast majority of people can see how so many modern games are going backwards in many respects compared to their predecessors (often made by the very same studios that made the superior and feature rich previous titles).

Sorry people are not feigning positivity when they are being charged more for less.
Especially since the genre moved on in general and FM is barely reaching GT Sport phase.

GHG

Especially since the genre moved on in general and FM is barely reaching GT Sport phase.

I wouldn't say it's that bad, and I say that as someone who loved the focused online racing aspect of Sport but thought it should have launched for £30/£40 to compensate for the lack of content (and career events) and to get as many people as possible playing/trying the game online at launch.

In it's current state FM is probably more akin to Forza 5, especially considering some of the more glaring omissions in terms of the tracks. No Nordschleife at launch again?

True Detective Time GIF

Last edited:

Exactly! Give me a fucking break. They would rather promote low standards than accept reality. Just another way they deflect and damage control. They're pathetic.

Tomeru

Because people want more than just "fine" all the time. Shame on them.

GHG

Exactly! Give me a fucking break. They would rather promote low standards than accept reality. Just another way they deflect and damage control. They're pathetic.

I get it in the case of Elder Legend Elder Legend , he's part of the gaming media and we all know that heavily revolves around access journalism these days, so the game is the game in that sense.

But for the non-ambassador paying customer to behave like that?

the-cuckshed-dynamis.gif

I know what everyone is thinking, “60 FPS locked PC multiplayer is fucking stupid”.

It's absolutely NOT stupid. If Microsoft is going to keep forcing Cross Play they DAMN SURE BETTER KEEP AN EVEN PLAYING FIELD!

Anyone complaining on PC about this is thinking purely selfishly.

This why I fucking hate FORCED CROSS PLAY. Give us the option or don't do it.

The silent ones are confident/happy in their decision making and know usually what to expect and they don't bitch and moan and just move on with their life without affecting others.

EDIY - oh look 2 of them got triggered. On the ignore list they go! Lol.

That was so
weak minded, no direction, no drive

TLDR:
Sad Samantha Bee GIF

The progression and upgrade system absolutely sucks. WTF were they thinking.

IGN gave it an 8. Ouch. Not bad, but for such a high profile game, 6 years in the making...

Exactly ..disappointing as fuck that this is light on content and below a 90 meta score considering how this (and Starfield) are Microsofts 2 true next gen games. This is a significantly lower meta critic score than any previous Forza.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Anyone complaining on PC about this is thinking purely selfishly.
Thing is, Forzatech is hz-dependant in it's timers and part of the simulations. So more FPS -- time runs faster for you. GT7 solved this problem by rewriting the engine in GT Sport (because VR is 90hz minimum). GT7 even has a 120hz flat-screen mode now.

Forza just locked the better FPS options for everyone.

Last edited:
Based on the few reviews I've watched so far, most of the complaints are about:
  • Car RPG elements and progression
  • AI
  • Tire physics
  • Lack of tracks
  • Damage system
  • Career mode
  • Audio and sound design
It's ironic because these are some of the things that were supposed to be the biggest improvements in this game because of being (1) next-gen, (2) built from the ground up, and (3) six years of development time.

Handing has been generally praised though.

What about "48x improvement to tire handling fidelity" Jesus h christ

Taycan77

It’s reviewed exactly as I expected based on preview coverage. The only question was how generous certain outlets would be to boost this into the high 80’s. Low-mid 80’s seems about right and a good basis for a GAAS that will be developed over the course of the gen.

I did expect T10 to knock it out of the park graphics wise. But it seems the focus on RT has been very time consuming and technically heavy. They’ve really left the door wide open for the next Gran Turismo to be a serious technical tour de force. Will be I nteresting to see what PD can do when working with PS5 and PS5 Pro.

I get it in the case of Elder Legend Elder Legend , he's part of the gaming media and we all know that heavily revolves around access journalism these days, so the game is the game in that sense.

But for the non-ambassador paying customer to behave like that?

the-cuckshed-dynamis.gif
You really are clueless how any of the stuff works behind the scenes. We gave plenty of very bad reviews to a variety of publishers and that hasn't changed any of our business relationships with them. "Access Journalism" is a myth that is not real.

If a publisher gets a bad review for one of their titles they need to learn how to take it and suck it up. If they don't, that's their problem. Also, our original score for Forza was a 9/10 but there are too many negatives to give it that after some thought. It's a great game, but it's not a fantastic or a phenomenal game by any means. If you think thst is some sort of shilling then I am not sure what to tell you.

We gave GoW Ragnarok and Death Stranding Director's Cut 10/10s if you are curious. Worst game we ever reviewed was BioMutant and gave it a 3.5/10 and called it a Toxic Waste That Belongs in A Dumpster.

Last edited:

Elios83

Or people just want more than "fine" games after years of waiting.
That does not mean that fans of the series/genre won't enjoy it even with limits and flaws.

GHG

If a publisher gets a bad review for one of their titles they need to learn how to take it and suck it up. If they don't, that's their problem. Also, our original score for Forza was a 9/10 but there are too many negatives to give it that after some thought. It's a great game, but it's not a fantastic or a phenomenal game by any means. If you think thst is some sort of shilling then I am not sure what to tell you.

I'm not accusing you of "shilling" in your reviews, however it's evident that if you want to stay in the good books of the people who hold the keys for your line of work a certain degree of positivity needs to be maintained (that can also come in the form of previews and general hype articles).

There's a reason why outlets like Worth a Buy (who isn't afraid to highlight all of the flaws that games have) don't get given access and are outright blacklisted in many cases.

(first 5 minutes of the video below)

General consumers who are having a chat about games on the Internet don't have such problems and don't need to have such considerations, therefore if the flaws and faults need to be discussed then so be it.

Last edited:
Reading the reviews gives the impression that the game needed a few more months of development, lack of game modes, lack of mythical circuits, some silly errors, etc...83-84 is a good grade...yes, but of course Not what was expected after a development of more than 6 years.

I'm not accusing you of "shilling" in your reviews, however it's evident that if you want to stay in the good books of the people who hold the keys for your line of work a certain degree of positivity needs to be maintained (that can also come in the form of previews and general hype articles).

There's a reason why outlets like Worth a Buy (who isn't afraid to highlight all of the flaws that games have) don't get given access and are outright blacklisted in many cases.

(first 5 minutes of the video below)

General consumers who are having a chat about games on the Internet don't have such problems and don't need to have such considerations, therefore if the flaws and faults need to be discussed then so be it.

Never heard of them to be quite frank. To be honest I don't care what other outlets do. I run my business how I like to run it and we operate with our set of rules and what works for us and we never had problems.

Also, if you bothered to watch our review, I've discussed all of my personal flaws with the game from the get go. There is a reason it's a 20 minute video and not a 10 minute rush lazy job like most reviews are. We actually go over game mechanics and try to explain to the consumer how the game works and what the intent is behind the design and if it is objectively making any sense.

As a matter of fact I even sent an email to their PR team asking questions about the intended design of the car leveling system.

They replied back saying they will ask the devs/turn 10 and that was last week. (Had the game since 26th) they never replied back with an answer from the devs. So I am assuming they either forget or decided to dodge. Regardless, time went by and we needed to get it done and it won't be my responsibility to pester them again about it, that's their responbility and problem.

With that being said, I reviewed the game as is without their answers which is unfortunate. I've worked with Microsoft for many years, our lowest rated game we ever game them was State of Decay 2. It was released an extremely poor state and had game breaking bugs. I believe we rated it a 6 out of 10 or something like that if my memory serves me right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom