• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

Yes! Great demo. I'm sure it got them some salesz
Definitely had some initial disappointment and expectations smashing, but once I got past that I saw that the game that was there was rock solid, gorgeous and fun as hell.

They could've named this 'Open Road Racer Festival 2012' and I'd be just as hyped.

Damnit. Still seven days to go ;P

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
In the U.S. GameStop is offering it besides the 458 Italia.

Yup, and in the UK ShopTo have the Golf.

If you wanna add who has the UK pre-order bonuses:

GAME - Mercedes Benz SLS AMG
Gamestatiob - Ferrari 458 Italia
Amazon.co.uk - Aston Martin Virage
HMV - Nissan 370z
ShopTo - VW Golf R

It's awesome that this is coming out on the 23rd in Australia/New Zealand too. I'm used to games coming out on Thursdays/Fridays.

U2NUMB

Yes! Great demo. I'm sure it got them some sales

Yep once in a while a demo does a great job of building up hype and this is a great example. If done right a good demo out before the release can do wonders. Hope this translates into many sales.

zorbsie

I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this, but how many people can be in the car club? Is it 100 like FM4?

Yup, and in the UK ShopTo have the Golf.

If you wanna add who has the UK pre-order bonuses:

GAME - Mercedes Benz SLS AMG
Gamestatiob - Ferrari 458 Italia
Amazon.co.uk - Aston Martin Virage
HMV - Nissan 370z
ShopTo - VW Golf R

Alright, the OP is updated with all this new information. If you know of any others, just let me know.

HeliosT10

So very torn.

Loved the demo and entire set up, but hate that there are no Spykers in the core game.

I also desire the Sesto Elemento - but that is VIP only.

None of the dev team, despite several requests for an answer to either (whether Spykers or the VIP Car Pack will be made available at a later date), have been forthcoming in the slightest.

I want to support the game - I truly do - but don't want to support a dependence on microtransactions for the cars I would like. Mainly when there is no guarantee of their ever coming put for it.

If a member of Turn10 can answer these two simple questions, they'll have another Day One sale. If not, well... see you when the price comes down...

Sorry for not responding to your PM sooner, as I'm sure you'll understand things have been pretty hectic the past few days :) I've just replied to it btw.

Oh and to those who worked on it, awesome job with the OT, looks great!

Phinor

Great reviews and I really liked the demo but ultimately all the pre-order bonuses, LCE content and a season pass worth a whole game has turned this into a wait for GOTY edition or a huge price drop game. They clearly have a ton of cars ready or just about ready but so many of them are not in the core game. I know the core game still has more cars than most other racing games but that doesn't really change my stance, I'm not buying those other games at full price either.

But damn, it's a gorgeous console game.

clockpunk

Sorry for not responding to your PM sooner, as I'm sure you'll understand things have been pretty hectic the past few days :)

I've just replied to it btw.

Awesome work on the OT too, looks great!

Hey Helios, thanks for taking the time to get back to me. :)

Ok, what the hell - gotta back the few UK teams we have. Preordering now (but if you get the opportunity to raise the possibility of Spykers in any discussion - even if its only a single model, t'would be greatly appreciated! ;))

C-Jo

Someone sell me on the Limited Edition.

I have one pre-ordered for $79, but I also got the standard version for $44. Not sure if I'm feeling the $35 difference here.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

I have one pre-ordered for $79, but I also got the standard version for $44. Not sure if I'm feeling the $35 difference here.

It's just a steelbook and a bunch of extra cars, really. If there's not any value in that for you, I'd say just go standard.

Good question. Maybe the new NFS is more like Burnout Paradise?!
I'd look to NFS for a Burnout Paradise 2 like experience. Super sense of speed, crazy antics, crashes and even crazier environments with huge jumps and madness.

What I look to Horizon for is a more in depth handling model that lets you truly get to know each car's quirks, within a more grounded game overall, that also includes over the top aspects.

We get a ton of arcade racers, and I think Criterion makes the best of them, but what Horizon brings to the table is more depth, further along the spectrum towards sim. Throw in cockpit view, manual transmissions, detailed upgrades, liveries, assists, rewind, etc. and you've got something pretty rare in gaming.

I'm getting both. But Horizon is the kind of game I've wanted for a long time now so it has more of my hype. And that from someone who thinks Burnout Paradise is one of the best games this generation. ;P

I pre- ordered the LE, but I might go for the standard version too. I love the demo and really want the LE, but there are so much great games atm, not to mention the AAA-that are around the corner, that my wallet just can't keep up.

Coldsnap

I'd look to NFS for a Burnout Paradise 2 like experience. Super sense of speed, crazy antics, crashes and even crazier environments with huge jumps and madness.

What I look to Horizon for is a more in depth handling model that lets you truly get to know each car's quirks, within a more grounded game overall, that also includes over the top aspects.

We get a ton of arcade racers, and I think Criterion makes the best of them, but what Horizon brings to the table is more depth, further along the spectrum towards sim. Throw in cockpit view, manual transmissions, detailed upgrades, liveries, assists, rewind, etc. and you've got something pretty rare in gaming.

I'm getting both. But Horizon is the kind of game I've wanted for a long time now so it has more of my hype. And that from someone who thinks Burnout Paradise is one of the best games this generation. ;P

Can you really get that level of simulation from Foriza Horizon with just a controller?

Lothars

I am in for the LCE, I have bought the collectors for all the other forza games and I was pleasently surprised by the review of Giant Bomb.

Can you really get that level of simulation from Foriza Horizon with just a controller?
A wheel would always be better, but theres no doubt that Forza physics are an entirely different beast than a burnout or NFS, even with a controller.

And a changing open world/open road with Forza cars instead of circuits? *swoon*

The_Monk

Two more weeks? Are you in Europe? I'm guessing the extra week is for delivery, no?

Anyway from 23th to 26th Euro-GAF will need Supportive group therapy.

Bedlam

I don't give two hoots about rubber-band AI, on 'insane', it's a challenge.. that's all I care about..

And I've not noticed any severe rubber-banding on that level either, if it is, it's subtle..

I only dislike rubber-band AI if they defy the laws of physics you are being bound to, if they have some small slow down if you get miles behind, I'm OK with that..
Problem is, it's not subtle at all. In that opening race, when the guy crashes and you get ahead a little bit, he hyper-accelerates and catches up with you within seconds.

This is not the kind of challenge that I like. It's basically the equivalent to enemies leveling with you in Bethesda rpgs. You don't feel badass when you get better, instead you think about not progressing too far because it makes the enemies stronger. It's bullshit.

derFeef

Two more weeks? Are you in Europe? I'm guessing the extra week is for delivery, no?

Anyway from 23th to 26th Euro-GAF will need Supportive group therapy.

26th is natinal holiday here, and no postal service on weekends... this is going to be haaaaard.

The_Monk

Oh I see. That's sucks. I'll be very surprised if I can get the L.E on Friday to be honest. Let's hope for the best.

ShogunX

Probably in the minority but I really like the song selection for Horizon. Blind Faith in particular is a quality tune.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey Helios, do you know if the full game has more vibration than the demo? Cause, except for the plane fly by there's almost 0 vibration in the demo and I find that really annoying!

Snubbers

Problem is, it's not subtle at all. In that opening race, when the guy crashes and you get ahead a little bit, he hyper-accelerates and catches up with you within seconds.

This is not the kind of challenge that I like. It's basically the equivalent to enemies leveling with you in Bethesda rpgs. You don't feel badass when you get better, instead you think about not progressing too far because it makes the enemies stronger. It's bullshit.

That's the opening 'teaser' experience, that seems all kinds of messed up (he jams the brakes on if you get too far behind).

The actual first rally race doesn't seem to have any rubber banding (on insane at least), I can be miles ahead and they don't magically catch me up...

Same goes for the other viper road race, I can win by a country mile if I get it perfect.. Surely if the rubber banding was prevalent, I'd only ever barely win no matter how hard I tried?

I'm just not seeing it myself....

Demo took me by surprise. What wheel can I use with this? They don't make the offical 360 wheel anymore...

There's a few but only the MS Wireless Force Feedback wheel, a Madcatz and the Fanatecs offer proper force feedback, The Madcatz isn't great (also overpriced) and Fanatecs are expensive.

Top Bottom