• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 had one million concurrent players at launch

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Xbox threads are frikken impossible man.

On Topic
Good for them they got a milli concurrent.
They are still high on the most played list which is also a good sign.
I hope Fable is moving long nicely....its unlikely to sell gangbusters but I do hope it does well enough sales/player/review wise they get a Fable 2 greenlit.
As long as its a light take on high fantasy im all in, im almost burnt out of grimdark fantasy....cept for Dragons Dogma 2....right into my veins that shit.

In Playground we trust!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A lot of insecure people in this thread judging by the 'LOL' reactions to the OP :messenger_beaming:

I was passing by, but this post touched me. Showed my support for these poor insecure people and placed a LOL to help them restore their confidence.

f28d292ea021cce656a6394000b13af7.gif

Going by that metric then, the game regularly must be drawing in around 70,000 - 75,000 players between Xbox & PC since it hovers around 7K average on Steam. Halo Infinite would be drawing in roughly 65,000 - 70,000 between Xbox & PC going by the same statistical ratio.

Though it's open for question how much that ratio actually holds post-launch, too. Overall I'd say those numbers are much more impressive for Forza than they are for Halo.

The game already sold over a million units of the premium SKU ahead of launch. Steamspy has its owners at 2m - 5m buyers. Wide, imprecise range, but gives an idea of how well it sells.

The series gets great numbers without bundles.

So funny.

What were SteamSpy's numbers for Elden Ring? I saw some of those being all over the place but some of the early estimates seemed closer to what actual sales volume likely was on PC (~5 million) at least up to Namco-Bandai's first statement on numbers.

But otherwise I agree in general WRT the Horizon stuff.

It is such a solid game that the numbers aren't surprising at all. Seems like the engagement is much higher than the previous FH (that was also on GP), job well done by MS and developers.

I think for its genre it's doing quite well actually, and it's seemingly the #1 racing game on Steam at least from what little I've done to research that.

However I think it also puts into perspective how poorly Halo Infinite is performing with concurrent players relative to its genre and competitors.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I think for its genre it's doing quite well actually, and it's seemingly the #1 racing game on Steam at least from what little I've done to research that.

However I think it also puts into perspective how poorly Halo Infinite is performing with concurrent players relative to its genre and competitors.

It was always going to be much harder for Halo to be #1 in its genre than FH, regardless of how the game turned out. A lot of competition in the FPS space. Still it's clinging to the top 10 on Xbox (in the US anyway), certainly nothing to sneeze at this far from launch. If they can start to get content flowing a bit quicker, that might help.

Ozriel

M$FT
What were SteamSpy's numbers for Elden Ring? I saw some of those being all over the place but some of the early estimates seemed closer to what actual sales volume likely was on PC (~5 million) at least up to Namco-Bandai's first statement on numbers.

Lmao, I just checked the steamspy estimates for Elden Ring. It’s hilariously wrong

20million - 50 million owners wtf

jaysius

Banned
This series needs a 100% overhaul, it's so dull, the shitty AI takes the EXACT SAME pack shapes EVERY RACE, the only carrot for the leveling system is a slot machine type roll where most times you get the shitty currency.

I loved Forza Horizon1, I bought a Xbox One to play Horizon 2, but this series has taken a nose dive plummet into open world fatiguing dumbness.

You barely get anything for winning races, you get participation trophies and get to pass races even if you finish in a miserable spot.

This game is about squeezing consumers and creating a husk to fill with DLC and bad paid cars.

It was always going to be much harder for Halo to be #1 in its genre than FH, regardless of how the game turned out. A lot of competition in the FPS space. Still it's clinging to the top 10 on Xbox (in the US anyway), certainly nothing to sneeze at this far from launch. If they can start to get content flowing a bit quicker, that might help.

Yeah, they're very good numbers all in all for FH5. I have seen some in the community complain about lack of new content though, and their pricing strategy WRT recycling cars from old games to resell in the new one at limited time frames (where I guess you can only buy the car during a specific window of some days), but those are opinions probably limited to just a small section of hardcore fans and no perceivable impact on the game's image to the majority.

Plus, on the side of the content stuff I don't think FH5 was ever marketed as a live-service game, so it's normal for new promised content to be six months - one year out from release or in those type of time intervals.

Lmao, I just checked the steamspy estimates for Elden Ring. It’s hilariously wrong

20million - 50 million owners wtf

They need to retire their algorithm, it is horribly programmed if they're getting estimates like that.

DaGwaphics

Yeah, they're very good numbers all in all for FH5. I have seen some in the community complain about lack of new content though, and their pricing strategy WRT recycling cars from old games to resell in the new one at limited time frames (where I guess you can only buy the car during a specific window of some days), but those are opinions probably limited to just a small section of hardcore fans and no perceivable impact on the game's image to the majority.

Plus, on the side of the content stuff I don't think FH5 was ever marketed as a live-service game, so it's normal for new promised content to be six months - one year out from release or in those type of time intervals.

They need to retire their algorithm, it is horribly programmed if they're getting estimates like that.

It should be about time for a big DLC update for FH5, anything like that should boost its numbers even more, for a racer it is definitely doing great. But, I think Halo is still doing good too, especially given the fact that it has a small engagement advantage over FH5 on Xbox.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was passing by, but this post touched me. Showed my support for these poor insecure people and placed a LOL to help them restore their confidence.

f28d292ea021cce656a6394000b13af7.gif
The world needs more laughter in these trying times.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
If Game pass had about 25m subscribers at that point it means that a little less than 1/25 of subscribers were playing their biggest release that year day one. Really impressive.

edit: Sorry if my opinion personally offended anyone, it was not my intention.
So what do you think when Sonys masterpiece exclusives don’t get bought by every single PlayStation owner?

So what do you think when Sonys masterpiece exclusives don’t get bought by every single PlayStation owner?
If Sony starting giving their big games aways on PS+ day one and little less then 1/25 of their subscribers are playing it on day one, I'll see it as a complete embarrassment.

Your question doesn't even makes sense as tons of people already pay $60 or even $70 to play their big titles when they launch, that's usually information that they make everyone knows about, they don't go out of their way to hide the sale numbers.

I'm not impressed but don't let it bother you if you think it's impressive.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

20M players in 217 days since early access release. 94k new players per day on average.

This is going to reach 30M by the end of the expansion cycle. And people think they should change the formula to add questlines and helicopters and destructible buildings.

Leyasu

Banned
If Sony starting giving their big games aways on PS+ day one and little less then 1/25 of their subscribers are playing it on day one, I'll see it as a complete embarrassment.

Your question doesn't even makes sense as tons of people already pay $60 or even $70 to play their big titles when they launch, that's usually information that they make everyone knows about, they don't go out of their way to hide the sale numbers.
The point is, not everyone plays or likes every genre/game. Trying to spin it as a negative just makes you look like the troll that you are.

I've got over 550 hours in FH5 to date and I'm still popping in a couple times a week. I really like this map, all the roads flow so well together and jumping from road to road is so much better than in any of the previous games thanks to deliberate paths through the woods and jungle. No more constant bouncing around making steering impossible through the trees. I do wish they'd just delete the dead trees on the ground through as hitting them knocks about 100mph off your speed.

I hope T10 takes a hard look at the online issues before they release Motorsport. FH5's online was absolutely busted at launch and still isn't 100%. If Motorsport launches in the same state it's online will be DOA.

The point is, not everyone plays or likes every genre/game. Trying to spin it as a negative just makes you look like the troll that you are.
Then stop quoting me and bringing me back here, I didn't even remember this thread existed. I made the mistake of giving my opinion and now I'm tormented by people that took it personally.

Any meaningless number MS puts out and guys like your want to impose that everyone should be impressed, it's not gonna happen.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Then stop quoting me and bringing me back here, I didn't even remember this thread existed. I made the mistake of giving my opinion and now I'm tormented by people that took it personally.

Any meaningless number MS puts out and guys like your want to impose that everyone should be impressed, it's not gonna happen.
Stop quoting you? You seem to have appeared at of nowhere a few weeks ago (probably after getting banned at ree) and have proceeded to shit up every Xbox thread that I have been in with total impunity ever since.

If you don’t want people to quote you for your incessant trolling? Then stay in the PlayStation threads. Don’t pretend to act surprised when you do.

I don’t give a shit about the numbers. If I am honest I popped in to put the thread on ignore. Because for some reason you can’t do it from the front page. But the temptation to read the shenanigans overcame me unfortunately

Last edited:

Chukhopops

1. troll with weak, easily dismantled arguments;
2. get called out;
3. play the victim and leave until the next Xbox thread.

You’ve already done it twice today and countless times before.

Stop quoting you? You seem to have appeared at of nowhere a few weeks ago (probably after getting banned at ree) and have proceeded to shit up every Xbox thread that I have been in with total impunity ever since.

If you don’t want people to quote you for your incessant trolling? Then stay in the PlayStation threads. Don’t pretend to act surprised when you do.

I don’t give a shit about the numbers. If I am honest I popped in to put the thread on ignore. Because for some reason you can’t do it from the front page. But the temptation to read the shenanigans overcame me unfortunately
1. troll with weak, easily dismantled arguments;
2. get called out;
3. play the victim and leave until the next Xbox thread.

You’ve already done it twice today and countless times before.

You know who I am, I have no idea who you are. Report me if I have done something that is against the rules and please put me on ignore if you can't handle it. I already have two unfair warnings and I know eventually some mod is going to ban me by mistake due to reports.

Today there was one guy sending me PMs (I hope it wasn't you), I find it hilarious how much it bothers you that people might have different opinions than you.

The funny thing is that I'm just being honest (I genuinely dislike Phil Spencer's work and the cult that formed around him, I wish people would be willing to discuss it openly, dude has being in charge of Xbox first party output for 14 years already). I talk shit about Konami, SE, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, EA, Ubisoft, etc, only Xbox fans take issue with me. You guys must really like MS, it's like I'm personally offending your family by merely not being impressed by their output of games.

Half my post are just me ironically threating Jim Ryan the same way people threat Phil Spencer, but the irony seems to be lost on you (just like it was lost originally when people made Kaz memes because he was a suit, not because they really liked him or thought he was their friend). I don't even create threads, I don't PM people, I don't attack other members, I don't coordinate with anyone, yet you guys keep calling for me to get banned because you don't like my opinions or seem to be deeply bothered by the most inoffensive jokes.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You know who I am, I have no idea who you are. Report me if I have done something that is against the rule and please put me on ignore if you can't handle.

Today there was one guy sending me PMs, I find it hilarious how much it bothers you that people might have different opinions than you.

The funny thing is that I'm just being honest, I talk shit about Konami, SE, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, EA, Ubisoft, etc, only Xbox fans take issue with me. You guys must really like MS it like I'm personally offending you family by merely not being impressed by their output of games.

Half my post are just me ironically threating Jim Ryan the same way people threat Phil Spencer and I don't even create threads, nor do I PM people or coordinate with anyone. Yet you guys keep calling for me to get banned.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

This is unironically one of the funniest posts on this forum in a while.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Not sure why he mentioned PlayStation?

This isn't the same thing as it was available for "free" on GP (including $1 subs)

If Sony did day one for its big titles we could compare.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If Game pass had about 25m subscribers at that point it means that a little less than 1/25 of subscribers were playing their biggest release that year day one. Really impressive.

This is concurrent users... throughout the day I think it was at least 3 million.

That's good news. I was one of them but only played the game for all of 2 weeks then got bored.

I still love the series but I hope they add something new to Forza Horizon 6 because it's all become a bit stale. For me the peak was Horizon 3.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Oooh poor little persecuted troll. You might want to reflect on the reason you are "tormented". We've all heard your "honest" opinions endlessly and repeatedly in every Xbox thread. You've only been here a little over 3 months and in that time you've done nothing but troll every Xbox thread.

Ozriel

M$FT
Not sure why he mentioned PlayStation?

This isn't the same thing as it was available for "free" on GP (including $1 subs)

If Sony did day one for its big titles we could compare.

Well, we don’t need to compare with Sony here.

FH5 debuted to significant critical and commercial success, with over a million folks paying for premium versions of the game to play early, and then chart topping performance on Steam.

So there’s no way to spin this as “it only has many players because people are playing for free”. Tons of games on Gamepass that don’t get this player count.

MLB the Show 2021 launched day 1 on Gamepass and yet was only at 4 million players after 3 months…with 2 million sales. Which means, not more than 2 million folks deigned to download this Sony first party title on GP.

Grounded Early Access had 10 million players after 1.5 years on Gamepass.

So it makes zero sense to try to spin 20 million players in 6 months as an unimpressive feat because it’s on GP. For comparison, it took FH4 two years to hit 24 million players.

Mattyp

Gold Member

He’s back guys. Remember everyone doesn’t work and plays every genre of game on launch day when they’re ‘free’ even if they hate racing.

We’re at 20/25 million subscribers now, must be more race fans than we thought originally 😎

edit: Sorry if my opinion personally offended anyone, it was not my intention.
it's not offending is just superficial. Bloodborne sold 3.1m on a base of 117 million consoles. Did this game really suck? ...Think about it .. young padawan

Last edited:

That basically means that Steam population of the game was less then 10% of overall playerbase (peak was 81k concurrent players on Steam)

Been telling people stop using steam numbers to judge titles historically more popular on Xbox consoles.

Fun fact. Did you know that online was completely busted at launch?

I don't get why they brag about it. It was a shit show. I've finished the entire game in offline mode and by the time they fixed it I was officially done with it.

Except that isn't true. Did it have issues? Yes. Was it completely busted? Nope!

flying_sq

I wanted to like it, but I'm on PC and its half broken. Doesn't acutally use my graphics settings all the time, the accessibility settings reset all the time, so I hear a robot voice half the time when I start it up. FPS limiter randomly changes from normal things like 30/60/90/120 to 20/67/94/???. It really feels like a very unpolished game. Constant disconnects from the servers, and I guess because I have an AMD card it freezes at almost every loading screen and I have to alt tab out of the game and back in to get it to load. It just made the studio look like a joke, and this has been going on for multiple games.

Yep, and the Halo numbers are likely even worse. I bet that less than 5% of the playerbase plays on Steam.

I KNOW it is. But since I can't have it backed up publicly I've kept my mouth shut on the actual number. But Halo Infinite isn't doing anywhere near as bad as some think. It needs more content, yes, but it's a very healthy game.

I KNOW it is. But since I can't have it backed up publicly I've kept my mouth shut on the actual number. But Halo Infinite isn't doing anywhere near as bad as some think. It needs more content, yes, but it's a very healthy game.
FADkzT7.jpg

It probably hasn't been in top 10 most played MP games on XBL for long time, same for FH5.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

That basically means that Steam population of the game was less then 10% of overall playerbase (peak was 81k concurrent players on Steam)

Counting steam numbers for Xbox-first games is like making judgments based on UK retail only sales.

Inaccurate, but some folks still love to run with it as any kind of definitive statement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom