• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Sets New Record with Over 34 Million Concurrent Users

Draugoth

Gold Member
WCCFsteam5-HD-1456x819.jpg

Valve's Steam digital platform continues to grow in popularity. Just a couple of months ago, we reported that the store had set a new record with 33.6 million concurrent users.

Yesterday, at 14:00 UTC, Steam broke that record with 34.298 million users online simultaneously, according to SteamDB data. In case you're curious, here's the list of the Top 100 most played games on Steam measured for their last 24-hour peak.

Source

Freeman76

I wonder if more people are embracing the platform organically due to how fucked AAA gaming is.

I bought a top end gaming PC back in November and since then hardly touched my PS5 or Series X

There are so many cool little indie games, regular good deals that genuinely save you money, no fees to join the ecosystem, all round its just better in my eyes.

Its come a long way since I last bought a PC 15 years ago. No tinkering needed, everything just works. Even my Elite 2 was plug and play and remembers my xbox profiles on steam games

Connected the PC up to my 65 Oled with no issues, all the way through its felt like luxury lol

Portugeezer

I wonder if more people are embracing the platform organically due to how fucked AAA gaming is.

I bought a top end gaming PC back in November and since then hardly touched my PS5 or Series X

There are so many cool little indie games, regular good deals that genuinely save you money, no fees to join the ecosystem, all round its just better in my eyes.

Its come a long way since I last bought a PC 15 years ago. No tinkering needed, everything just works. Even my Elite 2 was plug and play and remembers my xbox profiles on steam games

Connected the PC up to my 65 Oled with no issues, all the way through its felt like luxury lol
It's just very consumer friendly.

i've been a lifelong console guy since the Genesis days. I picked up a Steam Deck last year and it has really changed how i approach gaming (along with the whole adult thing and being married, having kids, no time for anything). Now, my game time typically comes an hour or two before bed after the day is done. The deck has brought back a love for gaming that I had lost. I was in the old mode of having to try and find time each day to sit in front of the tv and play via console. The deck changed all that. Yes, I've had a Switch and enjoyed it but the deck to me is on a whole different level. I've got a PS5 and a Series S. My kids both have switches. But I am content to enjoy some Elden Ring on my OLED deck each evening (and the occasional emulation of some classics...shhhhhhhhh).

dolabla

Since I built my PC last year, I pretty much haven't touched my consoles. Best decision ever to build a PC. Going back playing older titles with higher framerates/4k from when gaming was at its heights is an awesome experience. Now I've started using my Steam Deck with remote play a lot more. It works really well overall.

Kacho

i've been a lifelong console guy since the Genesis days. I picked up a Steam Deck last year and it has really changed how i approach gaming (along with the whole adult thing and being married, having kids, no time for anything). Now, my game time typically comes an hour or two before bed after the day is done. The deck has brought back a love for gaming that I had lost. I was in the old mode of having to try and find time each day to sit in front of the tv and play via console. The deck changed all that. Yes, I've had a Switch and enjoyed it but the deck to me is on a whole different level. I've got a PS5 and a Series S. My kids both have switches. But I am content to enjoy some Elden Ring on my OLED deck each evening (and the occasional emulation of some classics...shhhhhhhhh).
Couldn’t agree more. I put the kids to bed, throw on a podcast, and play the Deck for a couple hours before bed. The Steam Deck has been a game changer for me.

WitchHunter

Banned
At this point, I am beginning to count what "evil" decisions has this company ever made in the face of just consistent amazing decisions and support.
Screenshot-2024-03-03-203432.png
34 million people... all those datapoints. Seemingly nobody uses firewalls anymore. The first thing I do is kick steam into a dark corner, firewall its arse big time and only let it talk to the internet when I hear that it wants some air.

Zathalus

34 million people... all those datapoints. Seemingly nobody uses firewalls anymore. The first thing I do is kick steam into a dark corner, firewall its arse big time and only let it talk to the internet when I hear that it wants some air.
What are you on about? Steam mustn't report the statistics of people using it?

Dancer_BV

Interesting list.

I haven't heard PUBG's name float around for a long time, so I was surprised to see it in third place.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
But since PC users are huge... Should Steam users be bigger than that?

I mean, Steam is a free account and even has free games. GamePass is subscription and is also around 30 million too

Sentenza

I mean, Steam is a free account and even has free games. GamePass is subscription and is also around 30 million too
?
There are over a billion Steam account, according to some 5-years old estimation.
These are just the concurrent users. Meaning people logged at the same time.
XBOX never came even remotely close to 30 millions.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Some of my office juniors play PUBG all the time and haven't even heard of Steam. I would doubt really how many percentage of people play "Free" games on Steam who hasn't converted into paying customers.

Steam could never do a Mobile-platform like Google App-Store. Imagine how huge would that be.
You searching and playing mobile game on Steam-App than App-Store.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

I think this is a big part of it. PS5 and Xbox need to justify their existence by funding these big showpiece AAA games that aren’t possible on previous hardware. Steam doesn’t have that problem. Even a mid-budget game that can run on 15 year old hardware can be a killer app for many gamers.

Right now I’m playing Last Epoch which sells for $35 (I got it for $20 by supporting early access) and I’m having way more fun with that than I did with any of Sony’s massive blockbuster games this gen. Yet if this game were some exclusive PlayStation flagship it would get mocked endlessly because it could easily pass as a PS3 game.

WitchHunter

Banned
In the grand scheme of things, edgelord, it doesn’t matter
Well, never give up :D. BTW, Gamepass is an even weirder animal if you plan to have a firewall.

...Firewall don't prevent people from logging on Steam?
What are you even going on about?
What are you on about? Steam mustn't report the statistics of people using it?
Chillax man. The aliens haven't visited, yet... lol

Just contemplated about all that juicy data :D.

geary

Since I built my PC last year, I pretty much haven't touched my consoles. Best decision ever to build a PC. Going back playing older titles with higher framerates/4k from when gaming was at its heights is an awesome experience. Now I've started using my Steam Deck with remote play a lot more. It works really well overall.
Always wonder this...Can you use your steamdeck as a controller when you play on PC?

Fabieter

Pc is growing and there is no alternative. Maybe soon psn pc. Wishful thinking tho.

dolabla

Always wonder this...Can you use your steamdeck as a controller when you play on PC?
Looks like you can,. You just remote play it and enable sound to come out of the PC speakers (instead of the Deck) in the Steam PC settings. It's still streaming to the Deck (with no sound) so it may not be the best option out there, but it works fine from me just testing it out.

Fredrik

Don’t miss out that you can play like on a regular console too if you dock it. I’m playing Hollow Knight right now with the kids beside me. It’s 100% like a normal console, UI and controller and all.
agwcacg.jpeg

Hoping to have a proper highend living room PC ready within a month. That’ll be the next chapter in my PC gaming journey. Then I’ll be able to play everything in the couch if I want, maxed out, with mods, or on the Deck using the exact same saves. Perfection!

Sorcerer

I'd rather stay on PC. Used to be that you had to sacrifice first party console, but that is changing. Sticking to any of the 3 majors is limiting. And I'm not going to get 3 consoles every single gen. Not anymore anyway. Love all the weird, indie, just small games in general you will never see on platforms from the console manufacturers.

Last edited:

Considering that the average user is probably only on steam for 1-2 hrs a day. 34 million concurrent users means their overall userbase is 12-18 times that number. Let go conservative and go with 12, that is 408 million users, if we go with 18 that is 612 million users.

Top Bottom