• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Sets New Record with Over 34 Million Concurrent Users

Holammer

So...lads, when Gabe dies, which shouldn't be too long now, who do you think is going to buy Steam first? Microsoft or Epic? My money's on Epic since EGS has basically been left in the dust.
Not everything is for sale, I imagine they'll go with IKEA's solution.
It was privately owned and remained so even after Ingvar Kamprad's death. He setup a foundation which runs the company based on his directives & policies in mind.

WitchHunter

Banned
Or you could just not opt-in to sending your information to Steam.

Just Saying Bernie Sanders GIF by Saturday Night Live
And then comes an update, and something gets reseted. You know, when you install an update on an iphone and you turn off bluetooth and it gets turned back. Just saying, just saying. Mickey mouse.

StereoVsn

Should have told her you wanted to take up golf first and explained how much the clubs, green fees, etc. cost.

PC gaming would look like a bargain.

"But I'll do it for you, honey"
I legit did this a few years back, because my buddies were thinking of taking up golf again and I was going to join them.

That got shelved, but my wife hasn’t complained about my PC component pricing since. 😉

Edit: Forgot to add that a friend of mine put together a whole virtual golf setup to practice during off season and that was like $15K by itself, lol.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Ha.

When you've been married as long (and successfully!) as I have, and you have expensive, tiny humans around, you have to sort of prep each other for large purchases. Cars, televisions, etc.

This is how I get an OLED I don't need a couple months ago, for instance.

Don't need permission - but it's MUCH better to build genuine support.
Yep, marriage is a lot less acrimonious if both people are honest with their purchases and plan for them.

Especially with kids it is absolutely needed.

I have begun prepping my wife for my eventual shift to PC.

Should have a top-end rig once I learn more. Couple years tops.

The old saying is that it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Although, it's an old saying for a reason.

That could be a FAFO situation when she wants things. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have begun prepping my wife for my eventual shift to PC.

Should have a top-end rig once I learn more. Couple years tops.
Sounds good.

I’ve been dabbling with PC games since COVID started and enjoying it. I bought Disco Elysium on a GOG deal for $11 and will start it soon as I’m burnt out from playing balatro constantly for over a week.

Console and PC combo is sweet. Some games are better suited for a couch, while some from my desk chair. I know some people say play PC on tv. I never do because I don’t want to streamcast it and I also have my tv on at the same time so I can watch sports at the same time.

Gamers hard up with their ecosystem wall are missing out.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

Sounds good.

I’ve been dabbling with PC games since COVID started and enjoying it. I bought Disco Elysium on a GOG deal for $11 and will start it soon as I’m burnt out from playing balatro constantly for over a week.

Console and PC combo is sweet. Some games are better suited for a couch, while some from my desk chair. I know some people say play PC on tv. I never do because I don’t want to streamcast it and I also have my tv on at the same time so I can watch sports at the same time.

Gamers hard up with their ecosystem wall are missing out.

I'm probably going to use mine on the couch, as a replacement for the Xbox. Definitely can't go the chair route.

That's why it's an old saying. :)

I suppose. But I bet dudes who never asked permission were the same guys who didn't seek forgiveness, either.

Hohenheim

I used to feel the same, but when playing on my PS5 on the TV now, from the couch for the first time in ages (FF7 rebirth), it feels weird. I'm so used to sitting in front of the monitor when playing, so I have a hard time getting "into" the game when playing on TV from further away in the living room.
Considering setting up the PS5 in my PC gaming room, but I use it for Netflix etc on the TV all the time.. hmmm..
First world problems, indeed.

Last edited:

Filben

It's just very consumer friendly.
I might add it adds convenience. I'm so used to read dev updates and patch notes for a game, or even dev blogs that I'm immediately miss that feature on all other platforms. Or to have guides or forum topics at hand without relying on an additional device or service.

Not to mention the ability to refund if you see the game is just shite or doesn't offer the performance, quality or settings you have hoped for and couldn't get any reliable info about beforehand.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I might add it adds convenience. I'm so used to read dev updates and patch notes for a game, or even dev blogs that I'm immediately miss that feature on all other platforms. Or to have guides or forum topics at hand without relying on an additional device or service.

Not to mention the ability to refund if you see the game is just shite or doesn't offer the performance, quality or settings you have hoped for and couldn't get any reliable info about beforehand.
I did a steam refund request a week ago for a game that turned out boring as hell. It wasn’t even buggy or anything like that. Played it for half an hour and bailed and made a refund request after dinner. I even said in the refund notes it was boring. Nothing more.

By the next morning I got an email in my gmail account saying it’s approved and my credit card will be refunded in I think 10-14 days.

Got to be the easiest refund ever I’ve done. I wasn’t sure what to expect as you sometimes hear gamers getting stonewalled by csr from gamers trying to do a digital refund. Had no issues.

Sorcerer

So...lads, when Gabe dies, which shouldn't be too long now, who do you think is going to buy Steam first? Microsoft or Epic? My money's on Epic since EGS has basically been left in the dust.
Something tells me Gabe, has a secret room at Valve, that only has a dedicated self-destruct button under glass. Gaben will have the last laugh and if Steam isn't run under his conditions, no one will run it.

When Gabe goes, for me, that will the day gaming truly dies.

That being said, Gabe could be tired of the whole thing, and sell Valve to a shady company tomorrow. LOL!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom