• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken PC Insane Load Speed using DirectStorage 1.1

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Game never reaches 10GB of VRAM at native 4k at maximum settings here (RTX 3080 12GB). What with people getting 16GB of Vram usage?

yamaci17

Game never reaches 10GB of VRAM at native 4k at maximum settings here (RTX 3080 12GB). What with people getting 16GB of Vram usage?
Game only uses a maximum of %88 available VRAM. It will never maximize the VRAM usage. For 10 gigs, it will never use anything over 8.8 GB (total VRAM usage could be near 9.2-9.4 gb with background stuff however)

Also, game nerfs textures all the time when you don't have enough VRAM. Native 4k at maximum settings means you play with super low res textures all around. 16 GB is a hard must for this game at 4K to get proper textures alongside with ray tracing.

yamaci17

Then why it's not using 10.56GB here? And how is this user using almost all its 8GB?

Because these people can have all kinds of bloat in the background. If he does not use a capture device and uses native capturing, even that will add to the VRAM consumption.

Jeez, I've repeated this like 30 times in this forum already. Its really getting stale.

See for yourself, in the settings menu, game only allocates 10.7 GB out of 12 GB (%89). Then, in game VRAM usage never pushes north of 10.4 GB %87 cap rule)

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Because these people can have all kinds of bloat in the background. If he does not use a capture device and uses native capturing, even that will add to the VRAM consumption.

Jeez, I've repeated this like 30 times in this forum already. Its really getting stale.
How measuring just the Vram usage from the process/game only includes background stuff?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Where is the confirmation that Ultron guy uses process/game only VRAM in there?
Who measures other stuff in VRAM while demonstrating a game performance?
Here is my screen. 11339 GB from 12 GB. How is that?

52650567372_cb4e1ff799_k.jpg

Last edited:
Nearly nothing running in background, but dual screen setup:
Ll5xl1a.jpg

Forspoken, standard settings, high texture allocation, 2048x1536
sQWa950.jpg

What forspoken reports
lFL4jgF.jpg

So unless the game kicked out the 1300MB that was already in vram before loading, it's either lying or talking about total usage.

yamaci17

Who measures other stuff in VRAM while demonstrating a game performance?
Here is my screen. 11339 GB from 12 GB. How is that?

52650567372_cb4e1ff799_k.jpg

most people who are unaware of how stuff works?? per process vram usage metric is not that popular even among many benchmarkers.

you have 12288 mb of budget

11339 (11.07 GB) / 12288 (12 GB) = %92
1 gb is 1024 mb
come to me with PER PROCESS AB VRAM metric instead.

now, can you please make it so that with 0 background stuff, and ONLY PER GAME vram usage, MAKE THE game use more than 10.9 GB. you wont. even at 4K/ULTRA/ray tracing, you wont be able to. try 8K DSR if you want to. game will never breach past 10.9 GB.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
yamaci17 yamaci17 @64bitmodels

Had to come back to you guys as to show the behavior of Apple Macs using "swapped" memory or virtual RAM via internal SSD even with 16GB of RAM. Timestamped:

That improves performance over not doing so, but you put your data in that SSD at risk.

Apple lying about performance and misleading their customers is nothing new. At this point their users deserve it.

Lysandros

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/forspoken-pc-performance-analysis/

"As said, Forspoken is the first game that takes advantage of DirectStorage. And while the loading times are really fast, we encountered some awful frame pacing/stuttering issues. For some reason, the game suffered from a lot of stutters when we installed it on both our Samsung 970 Pro Plus and Samsung 980 Pro NvME SSDs. By moving the game folder to our SATA SSD, we were able to get better frametimes. Below you can find some screenshots that showcase this behaviour. The screenshots on the left are with the game installed on the NvME SSD. The screenshots on the right are with the game on the SATA SSD. We are not sure what is going on here, however, we currently recommend installing the game on a SATA SSD. Yes, the loading times may be a bit longer but you’ll get a smoother gaming experience."

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Let the brand new tech go through its teething issues. I imagine it won't be perfect, but at least a piece of shit game is the testing ground lol

Lysandros

I am reading some reports that with DirectStorage disabled or enabled there is barely any difference in loading times, can someone having the game confirm this?

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Forspoken

"In most situations the game barely sees a difference in load times when disabling DirectStorage by -noDirectStorage or outright removing the DLL files."

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
50wPuyr.jpg

My screen with a 3090. yamaci17@ is clearly right here. Just accept it and move on.
I didn't say he is wrong. But he is on the textures being low res for me and the % of VRAM the game chooses to use. It's very random with 87, or 89 or 90 or 92% depending on the card. In your case the game is using 62%. And the game can't also see the total VRAM correctly.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
yamaci17 yamaci17 @64bitmodels

Had to come back to you guys as to show the behavior of Apple Macs using "swapped" memory or virtual RAM via internal SSD even with 16GB of RAM. Timestamped:

That improves performance over not doing so, but you put your data in that SSD at risk.

That is the same thing about having multiple hdds are faster than one big one even if the drive speed itself is the same because you are using more pcie lanes and can access separately.
It’s not the size of ram here as much as it’s that the drive access is slower because of what I wrote above.

Captn

7950X
32gb Ddr5 6000
Gigabyte 4090 OC
WDB SN850X
LG C1 48"
Windows 10 pro
Latest drivers clean version.

Both Ram and Vram usage sits around 12 Gb.

From clicking on the shortcut to logos intro : 1 1/2 second.

From main menu to in game with continue : instantly!!

Running 4K between 90-120 all settings maxed with RT

No stuttering at all and will dipp into the 60's 70's in heavy combat.

Removed the intro logo movies but can't seem to find the square enix one.

Also replaced the DLSS 2.0 version to 2.5.1 since PcGame wiki states it's using 2.4 unless their info is wrong.

Think it runs a bit better with latest version in my case but certainly as good as 2.4 but might be placebo effect.

Last edited:

yamaci17

I didn't say he is wrong. But he is on the textures being low res for me and the % of VRAM the game chooses to use. It's very random with 87, or 89 or 90 or 92% depending on the card. In your case the game is using 62%. And the game can't also see the total VRAM correctly.
well DWM.EXE on windows has a near-fixed VRAM cost. it wil use around 400 500 mb on all systems at 4K, so it is normal that it effects 3090 the less

then again, I'm sure game still has around a maximum of %90 per game usage. As I said, on my system, I cannot force the game to use more than 6.9 GB. its just a telltale sign of a artificial limitation. it needs to go. games must be able to utilize all the buffer available to them.

Dream-Knife

Banned
It doesn't appear VRAM is an issue.

performance-3840-2160-rt.png

Dream-Knife

Banned
vram is an issue but in a different way

game practically loads super low res n64 textures instead of tanking performance

so not an ideal solution...

Vram is an issue because the game auto selects texture quality based on your VRAM capacity.
I played the demo tonight at 1440p maxed out with RT. It only used a little more than 8gb. Textures seemed fine. Game doesn't perform as well as it should given the hardware of course, but I didn't see the VRAM issues, at least not in the demo.

fs.png

fs2.png

fs3.png

fs4.png

Game started off fun, but the combat got old. The parkour thing is kind of neat I guess. The girl is super annoying. Classic Squeenix.

yamaci17

I played the demo tonight at 1440p maxed out with RT. It only used a little more than 8gb. Textures seemed fine. Game doesn't perform as well as it should given the hardware of course, but I didn't see the VRAM issues, at least not in the demo.

fs.png

fs2.png

fs3.png

fs4.png

Game started off fun, but the combat got old. The parkour thing is kind of neat I guess. The girl is super annoying. Classic Squeenix.
i assume you have a 10 gig card? I guess it is enough for 1440p/ray tracing. interesting too, since my 8 gig starts to mush textures even at 1080p/ray tracing.i must be at the threshold or something

Top Bottom