• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken PC Insane Load Speed using DirectStorage 1.1

JackMcGunns

pretty-cool-cerny.gif

lukilladog

That is some flawed testing, Skyrim also cache's a loaded level and re-loads almost instantly, even if you quit the game. You have to restart windows or launch another game so there is no caching. I remember COD guys making the same mistake when they started to get ssd's.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Wow, nvme ssds have existed on PC for years but only in 2023 do we get the first game that takes advantage of it. Thanks Microsoft for your fast development which was in no way because you developed this SDK for your console.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Nice; happy this is finally here.. and actually working?

Will be interesting to see how many games have it though.

I still suspect it'll be rare until 2024.. and us PC gamers like our older games too, and I've heard nothing of any old games getting patched (basically their I/O re-written so not surprising.)

Wow, nvme ssds have existed on PC for years but only in 2023 do we get the first game that takes advantage of it. Thanks Microsoft for your fast development which was in no way because you developed this SDK for your console.
Why do you have a problem with this lol?

T4keD0wN

Nice, downloading the demo right now. I hope it offloads enough work away from the cpu so that even my 12600k which doesnt meet their 60fps requirements can get to 60fps. Now i am excited for this to come to games that i actually care about beyond just their tech aspect. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

GHG

Even cooler is the PC version gives you Xbox achievements.

You have to be clowning?

Why on earth would you buy this on the windows store over buying it on steam or better yeyt grabbing a cheaper steam key from a third party site?

Frustrated Whats Wrong With You GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Is this on W10 too?
I want to put that FireCuda 530 to work, for once!

Yes, direct storage is available on Windows 10 as well. You can grab the demo on Steam, or you can just test out your SSD using the direct storage benchmark:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/dire...ion-coming-soon.1643143/page-3#post-267331161

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

JackMcGunns

This is why I always called bullshit when people said the Series X/S were using Direct Storage. All one had to do is compare the loading times for Halo and Forza between PC and consoles to see that wasn't the case.

Or maybe not BS. PCs are using a ridiculously fast SSD, faster even the PS5's. Direct Storage might just be making up for the much slower SSD in Series X, leveling the playing field, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but that makes sense to me. If that's the case, Direct Storage is truly the secret sauce that makes the budget SSD in Series X perform pretty close :pie_thinking:

Sentenza

Banned
I'm doing a hardcore load time test next.
I'm currently moving the game onto my external HDD, which is the PS4 stock HDD that I use for old games and small files.

this is gonna be interesting. I'll try a cold boot into the game and loading my save file and see how long it's gonna be :D ...moving the game over takes quite a while tho (VERY slow HDD...)

yeah, so direct storage clearly doesn't work on a slow HDD :messenger_tears_of_joy: but I had to test it. these are extreme conditions tho, it's hard to get an HDD this slow these days, those PS4 drives were really awful

Last edited:

GHG

Or maybe not BS. PCs are using a ridiculously fast SSD, faster even the PS5's. Direct Storage might just be making up for the much slower SSD in Series X, leveling the playing field, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but that makes sense to me. If that's the case, Direct Storage is truly the secret sauce that makes the budget SSD in Series X perform pretty close :pie_thinking:

To get in the ballpark of the theoretical max of the PS5 SSD you need a 4090 paired with a gen 4 nvme. You can see the results from a variety of PC's in the link I posted above to the direct storage thread.

Make of that what you will.

Banned
To get in the ballpark of the theoretical max of the PS5 SSD you need a 4090 paired with a gen 4 nvme. You can see the results from a variety of PC's in the link I posted above to the direct storage thread.

so far not a single game uses even 2.8gb/s (the slowest SSD tested in videos) on PS5, so this might never even be a thing that will be fully used until like the very end of the generation

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
yeah, so direct storage clearly doesn't work on a slow HDD :messenger_tears_of_joy: but I had to test it. these are extreme conditions tho, it's hard to get an HDD this slow these days, those PS4 drives were really awful

It is probably working, but you cannot try it without.

I am also blown away that the dStorage library is just 200KB, was it really that difficult to build it MS?
I am aware, that it could just call some backend service in system kernel, but still

My dev build was around 50MB (of the lib), that was supplied with alpha version of RTX IO, which still isn't finished.

Seeing this is so fast, I am not sure if it's even needed.

Banned
It is probably working, but you cannot try it without.

could be that it just disables itself if it detects an HDD.

but I wouldn't be surprised if it was running but that HDD I used here really is the bottom of the barrel you can get. it was directly extracted from a PS4 when I replaced it with a 2TB, and then stuck into the USB enclosure the 2TB HDD came in.
I like doing these crazy load tests xD, I did the same with the Matrix demo back when that came out... and it had an initial load of I think 2 or 3 minutes or something, but once loaded in it ran only slightly worse than off of an SSD surprisingly.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
could be that it just disables itself if it detects an HDD.

but I wouldn't be surprised if it was running but that HDD I used here really is the bottom of the barrel you can get. it was directly extracted from a PS4 when I replaced it with a 2TB, and then stuck into the USB enclosure the 2TB HDD came in.
I like doing these crazy load tests xD, I did the same with the Matrix demo back when that came out... and it had an initial load of I think 2 minutes or something, but once loaded in it ran only slightly worse than off of an SSD surprisingly.
Directstorage works even for floppy disk, it is just that it is slow, it does not matter much that it is direct. It's not bound to NVMe, it is how is it routed throughout the system.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Doesn't really need too much brain, the PC is overloaded with RAM's/VRAM's that are extremely way ahead of any SSD in the market. The recommendation of a total of around 48GB of total RAM/VRAM vs 16GB RAM/VRAM on PS5 says it all. Maybe this is the comment that S staticshock was asking for.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
well that my 540 MB/s USB3 SSD loads this game as fast as a PS5 does. I assume he alludes to the fact that many said Direct Storage wouldn't be nearly that good.

Well it's not as good nor worse of course and not really making anything groundbreaking, it's just driving the data to where is needed in this outdated, traditional x86 system to the RAM's while enjoying extremely large and fast VRAM/RAM's. While the game open, check out how much RAM/VRAM is in use to compensate. The end result is the same but that doesn't mean they are the same. They are achieving it differently. You can get a small V6 engine to drive as fast as a big V8, like the Ford Raptors. You can't just ignore the fact that the V6 is using turbos (extra, speedy VRAM's/RAM's).

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
DirectStorage 1.1 does ~12GB/s on PCIE Gen 3.....I see why MS went with a "slow" SSD in their machine, DirectStorage more than makes up for the lack of raw bandwidth.
2023-01-12-image-23-j_1100.webp

Last edited:

Banned
Well it's not as good nor worse of course and not really making anything groundbreaking, it's just driving the data to where is needed in this outdated, traditional x86 system to the RAM's while enjoying extremely large and fast VRAM/RAM's. While the game open, check out how much RAM/VRAM is in use to compensate. The end result is the same but that doesn't mean they are the same. They are achieving it differently. You can get a small V6 engine to drive as fast as a big V8, like the Ford Raptors. You can't just ignore the fact that the V6 is using turbos (extra, speedy VRAM's/RAM's).

11gb System Memory is used and about 7.5GB VRAM
this is basically the same as when I load into any other modern AAA game

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

It's great for PC, but seems to be tied to VRAM's from the post above you or using that extra teraflops power. SSD's are already fast, but you can preload loads of things and keep them hanging in there just like most games used to be during HDD era on consoles. Faster throughput on PS5 gives it more headroom on its RAM/VRAM deficiency.

Last edited:

Banned

It's great for PC, but seems to be tied to VRAM's from the post above you. SSD's are already fast, but you can preload loads of things and keep them hanging in there just like most games used to be during HDD era on consoles. Faster throughput on PS5 gives it more headroom on its RAM/VRAM deficiency.

just as an additional notice, I'm currently basically idling with Edge open and I use 5GB of System memory. meaning my total increase was indeed just about 6GB since I had the browser open during testing.

Top Bottom