• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Bungie director joins 343 Industries to work on Halo Infinite

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I only played the single player so I assume the multiplayer was incredible, because the campaign seemed like a work in progress. The open world was pretty boring, if you played the first 1 hr of the game you basically played the entire game. Both deathloop and Returnal were much better single player games.

Xbox quality standards. And what you are saying is right. You just have to play around 1/2 hours and you have already played the game since nothing else is different.

This game would never get these high scores again in a re-review. I never understood that Halo Infinite got these high scores for a game that looks sometimes even worse then a basic map created by someone in a map editor.

The world looked far from finished. It looked like it was a week out of greybox phase or something, instead of final art. How MS can fuckup their biggest IP so hard lol.

Last edited:

Banned
I only played the single player so I assume the multiplayer was incredible, because the campaign seemed like a work in progress. The open world was pretty boring, if you played the first 1 hr of the game you basically played the entire game. Both deathloop and Returnal were much better single player games.

Multiplayer is like if you took Halo Reach and removed 90% of the content, added like 1000 bugs to the mix and made progression an annoying and MTX fueled joke

Halo Infinite is the worst Halo game ever made. It makes Halo 4 look like a good Halo title at this point...

Last edited:

anothertech

Well, not expecting much to change content wise over the next year. That ship has sailed. Maybe he can help them get shit together for mid 2023.

The real entertainment is the avatars in this thread tho 😘👌

Xbox quality standards. And what you are saying is right. You just have to play around 1/2 hours and you have already played the game since nothing else is different.

This game would never get these high scores again in a re-review. I never understood that Halo Infinite got these high scores for a game that looks sometimes even worse then a basic map created by someone in a map editor.

The world looked far from finished. It looked like it was a week out of greybox phase or something, instead of final art. How MS can fuckup their biggest IP so hard lol.
I mean I enjoyed it personally in terms of gameplay more than all the other games released last year except maybe re: village. Graphically it wasn’t anything to write home about - but in terms of fun it was better than all the PS5 releases in 2021 imo

I’d put the best games I played like: halo infinite 1 re village 2 deathloop 3 ratchet and clank 4 - liked returnal but not the style of game so I don’t know how to put it in there. Don’t care for final fantasy or Kena

Last edited:

Boneless

Uhhh, too late? I liked Infinite quite a bit and played comp multiplayer but it just got stale really fast.

Multiplayer is like if you took Halo Reach and removed 90% of the content, added like 1000 bugs to the mix and made progression an annoying and MTX fueled joke

Halo Infinite is the worst Halo game ever made. It makes Halo 4 look like a good Halo title at this point...
What? Game is far more fun than halo 4 and 5. MTX is bullshit but I never do that customization stuff anyway - I think the game is great but whoever is running the management of it has no clue

TIGERCOOL

And for everyone saying "The base game is still great it just needs more content" people play great games even with limited content available, fact is infinite is only "good enough" and without a carrot for people to chase after their not playing.
Eh, playing ranked with 3 friends is a great time. Its a fantastic gameplay loop and it really rewards team coordination in a way that other games can't. the major drawback is honestly the lack of maps and the inability to customize your experience in any meaningful way. Forge would address all of this, but I doubt the suits are excited at the prospect of a feature that takes the remaining playerbase out of their shitty playlists/battlepass pipeline

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Shocking to hear so many who have never played the game make negative comments on a game with that high of score.

It may take longer than we'd like but this game will get more content in the future and be even better.

Its pure trolling, they have nothing to back up they opinions. Judging by some comments u would of thought infinite got a 45 metacritic.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Shocking to hear so many who have never played the game make negative comments on a game with that high of score.

It may take longer than we'd like but this game will get more content in the future and be even better.

Speaking on the future of halo im curious what there tech path is, I hope the next section of the halo or sequal has several tech improvements. I dont see why a realtime Gi solution and a higher amount of geometry cant be implemented on the next iteration or even updated on the current section of infinite.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Former bungie employees returning is cool to gamers halo 5, and infinite don’t belong.

WorldHero

I say it in almost every Halo thread. The top brass needs to go. This is obviously a management issue. There's no excuse for a game in development that long with that much support to be so incomplete. Keeping the same people in charge and expecting a different result is insanity.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I say it in almost every Halo thread. The top brass needs to go. This is obviously a management issue. There's no excuse for a game in development that long with that much support to be so incomplete. Keeping the same people in charge and expecting a different result is insanity.

Exactly. I honestly don’t know why Microsoft continues to let one of the single most important IPs in gaming history (and literally their personal most important IP) to be so mismanaged. Clearly the console warriors will defend it, even if the devs came to their home and took a shit on their puppy - but reality is most people were unhappy with Halo since 343i took over. It has only gotten worse and worse with every passing release of theirs.

The only decent thing to come out of Halo as a franchise since Bungie passed the torch has been the books and Halo Wars 2 (Which wasn’t even made by 343i).

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

This forum averages a weekly 'shit on halo' thread. Its nothing new. And its not new to Infinite. People have been dumping on Halo since H1.

Ive been sorting my old gaming magazines and ran into some 2007 EGMs where readers sent in piles and piles of hate mail complaining about the high review scores they gave Halo 3. It reads exactly like these threads we are seeing today and all the whining about GAF's GOTY 2021. Whats funny is - Halo 3 after all these years is still played regularly. A 'certain type' of gamer just loves to hate on Halo.

Infinite's multiplayer is clearly better than H4, H5, Reach - and probably even better than H1. However - Infinite campaign overall was one of the weaker of the series but its still nowhere close to a 'bad game'.
Content quantity is a major issue but more content is forthcoming - even more campaigns are on the way - so the verdict on the campaign may change. 343 has already (disappointingly) said its going to take awhile - but this is known - its not going to change suddenly.

I keep seeing its a 'dead game' when I can still find a match in seconds. Nah - a dead game is no longer functioning.

Last point: if there was no 343 - there would be no more Halo. Its as simple as that. No other studio is or ever was just going to take over the series. It was created for the sole purpose of continuing the franchise. 343 is no where close to the level of Bungie but their games have been improving from H4 and on. If you dont like the series anymore simply dont play it - or stick with the MCC (which is still thriving 8 years since it released) - its not that hard.

I do wonder about the real story of what happened with Infinite's dev cycle. 6 years was too long and its clear entire ideas (games?) were scrapped. I wonder if we'll ever know...
Staten and this ex Bungie guy give hope they can (finally) get management under control.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This forum averages a weekly 'shit on halo' thread. Its nothing new. And its not new to Infinite. People have been dumping on Halo since H1.
Has it ever come to you that people are criticizing Halo because, shockingly, they are fans and are unhappy with the direction the series has been moving and how the franchise has been handled?

Ive been sorting my old gaming magazines and ran into some 2007 EGMs where readers sent in piles and piles of hate mail complaining about the high review scores they gave Halo 3. It reads exactly like these threads we are seeing today and all the whining about GAF's GOTY 2021. Whats funny is - Halo 3 after all these years is still played regularly. A 'certain type' of gamer just loves to hate on Halo.
Ah, yes I also remember those days. The… what? Handful of mentally ill warriors would write to a gaming magazine? Clearly that is indicative of a large swath of the population!

I have said it time and again, the only people who genuinely care about any GotY are warriors and children who need validation for their purchases.

Infinite's multiplayer is clearly better than H4, H5, Reach - and probably even better than H1. However - Infinite campaign overall was one of the weaker of the series but its still nowhere close to a 'bad game'.
01011001 01011001 You want to explain this one or should I?

Content quantity is a major issue but more content is forthcoming - even more campaigns are on the way - so the verdict on the campaign may change. 343 has already (disappointingly) said its going to take awhile - but this is known - its not going to change suddenly.
So we should be happy that a piss poor release, missing massive features will eventually get finished? That is acceptable to you?
I keep seeing its a 'dead game' when I can still find a match in seconds. Nah - a dead game is no longer functioning.
The data doesn’t lie. The player base has dropped precipitously. Clearly hyperbole plays a factor, but the game is *not* doing stellar in any regard. It isn’t a “dead” game, but it is one that is heading in that direction.

Last point: if there was no 343 - there would be no more Halo. Its as simple as that. No other studio is or ever was just going to take over the series. It was created for the sole purpose of continuing the franchise. 343 is no where close to the level of Bungie but their games have been improving from H4 and on. If you dont like the series anymore simply dont play it - or stick with the MCC (which is still thriving 8 years since it released) - its not that hard.
I and many other fans would rather not have Halo than the insult that 343i continues to provide. Their games have actively been getting *worse* with every entry. Less content, more MTX, less features on launch. This isn’t acceptable and shouldn’t be defended. It‘s not that hard to understand.

I do wonder about the real story of what happened with Infinite's dev cycle. 6 years was too long and its clear entire ideas (games?) were scrapped. I wonder if we'll ever know...
Staten and this ex Bungie guy give hope they can (finally) get management under control.
We have known. The game has been in development hell for years. From terrible contract working conditions to piss poor management. This isn’t a secret and has been stated numerous times by the devs and former contract workers themselves.

clarky

Gold Member
Hello everyone to save some time thought i'd do the forum a solid, rather than making up your own Halo take you can simply select the take of your choice from this handy table.

Doesn't matter if your take of choice has been used in this thread already (it has), Either repeat here or go to the next Halo thread and use it there.

Don't worry there's usually a fresh thread at least once or twice a week so plenty of opportunities to let your feelings known. Its a little skewed toward the negative side, but they get used the most so will be in demand.

H5O7lK2.png

Last edited:
Has it ever come to you that people are criticizing Halo because, shockingly, they are fans and are unhappy with the direction the series has been moving and how the franchise has been handled?

Ah, yes I also remember those days. The… what? Handful of mentally ill warriors would write to a gaming magazine? Clearly that is indicative of a large swath of the population!

I have said it time and again, the only people who genuinely care about any GotY are warriors and children who need validation for their purchases.

01011001 01011001 You want to explain this one or should I?

So we should be happy that a piss poor release, missing massive features will eventually get finished? That is acceptable to you?

The data doesn’t lie. The player base has dropped precipitously. Clearly hyperbole plays a factor, but the game is *not* doing stellar in any regard. It isn’t a “dead” game, but it is one that is heading in that direction.

I and many other fans would rather not have Halo than the insult that 343i continues to provide. Their games have actively been getting *worse* with every entry. Less content, more MTX, less features on launch. This isn’t acceptable and shouldn’t be defended. It‘s not that hard to understand.

We have known. The game has been in development hell for years. From terrible contract working conditions to piss poor management. This isn’t a secret and has been stated numerous times by the devs and former contract workers themselves.
From a content and mtx perspective it is the worst halo - but from purely a gameplay perspective it’s definitely by far the best 343 has put out. And I think it’s more fun than reach as well - I think some people (like me) who are less concerned with certain aspects like cosmetics and progression may have a different view on the game due to this. The fact that the core shows a lot of promise. I also really liked the campaign (should’ve been able to play through it with a friend on my couch) but in terms of a single player halo campaign it was very fun. I definitely wouldn’t mind a management switch up though because the decisions around the gameplay are weird as hell - no couch co op, no co op in general, missing game modes, not enough maps, ordinance drops not a fan of etc

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Hello everyone to save everyone some time thought i'd do the forum a solid, rather than making up your own Halo take you can simply select the take of your choice from this handy table.

Doesn't matter if your take of choice has been used in this thread already (it has), Either repeat here or go to the next Halo thread and use it there.

Don't worry there's usually a fresh thread at least once or twice a week so plenty of opportunities to let your feelings known. Its a little skewed toward the negative side, but they get used the most so will be in demand.

H5O7lK2.png

Best post ever! You should have pocket cards printed up so certain members that are in every Halo thread telling us repeatedly how much they hate it always have it handy to refer to when they feel the need to shitpost about Halo Infinite.

The one thing I don't understand though is if they hate the game so much, why don't they just not play it, find a game they DO like and forget about Infinite so that those of us that love Halo Infinite can discuss it in peace.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Best post ever! You should have pocket cards printed up so certain members that are in every Halo thread telling us repeatedly how much they hate it always have it handy to refer to when they feel the need to shitpost about Halo Infinite.

The one thing I don't understand though is if they hate the game so much, why don't they just not play it, find a game they DO like and forget about Infinite so that those of us that love Halo Infinite can discuss it in peace.

Ah yes, how dare fans criticize what became of one of their favorite franchises. Much easier to dismiss any criticism as just “haters being haters”. I would love to have that console warrior mindset that you have. Would make avoiding reality so much easier!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What do u love about it?

The best way to state it would be to highlight one of the greatest moments of the series. The first introduction to the flood in the level 343 Guilty Spark. You are dropped off in the middle of a desolate, murky swamp. Covenant forces are fleeing for their life. The sound design emphasizes the environment first and foremost as you slowly make your way through the fog and darkness. Off in the distance you see vague silhouettes of something almost human, but not quite. Highlighting the wonderful design of the series' enemies. Each instantly identifiable from a distance. However, these are ones you haven't faced yet. They disappear before you can get a better look at them.

You eventually reach the entrance to the facility, more covenant forces stream from the entrance, running away from an unknown threat, initially ignoring you - highlighting how simple and engrossing story telling can be done within the game world itself. This is further highlighted as you go deeper into the facility, finding bodies of friends and foes alike. Enemies barricading themselves in, scorch marks and ooze litters the hallways. The sounds become louder, yet still abstract. Where are they coming from? Where did this enemy run to? What do they look like? Are they invisible like the Stealth Sanghelli you fought before? What kind of weapons do they use? All this runs through your mind as you further make your way down and kill the chaff grunt forces with well sounding headshots of your magnum, quick but meaty bursts from your assault rifle, or a well tossed grenade. All feeling fantastic due to their simple, but high-quality animations.

Eventually you find a paranoid marine. At this point you are just as paranoid and can accidentally kill him. He gives you snippets of what transpired. Clearly an enemy separate from the alien menace you have been fending off for half the game at this point. It all culminates into a perfectly well designed cutscene that amplifies the horror and suspense that was built up masterfully to this point.

That is why I love the Halo series. It has a wonderfully rich universe of memorable enemies, combat encounters, set pieces, and a score that is one of the best in the genre. Everything you needed to know was in the game. Levels offered numerous pathways and tools to complete each mission. The environments, locales, and objectives constantly shifted and changed to keep you engaged every minute. And it could all be played with friends and family, locally.

And when you complete the story? You had the multiplayer modes to keep you as engaged. Initially starting with simple modes like TDM, it eventually grew to allow custom made maps in Forge and co-op Firefights. They added more and more customization and progression tools, all with the purchase of the base game. It felt like everything just kept getting bigger and better, while still holding to what made Halo... well, Halo! At least when it was owned by Bungie.

The best way to state it would be to highlight one of the greatest moments of the series. The first introduction to the flood in the level 343 Guilty Spark. You are dropped off in the middle of a desolate, murky swamp. Covenant forces are fleeing for their life. The sound design emphasizes the environment first and foremost as you slowly make your way through the fog and darkness. Off in the distance you see vague silhouettes of something almost human, but not quite. Highlighting the wonderful design of the series' enemies. Each instantly identifiable from a distance. However, these are ones you haven't faced yet. They disappear before you can get a better look at them.

You eventually reach the entrance to the facility, more covenant forces stream from the entrance, running away from an unknown threat, initially ignoring you - highlighting how simple and engrossing story telling can be done within the game world itself. This is further highlighted as you go deeper into the facility, finding bodies of friends and foes alike. Enemies barricading themselves in, scorch marks and ooze litters the hallways. The sounds become louder, yet still abstract. Where are they coming from? Where did this enemy run to? What do they look like? Are they invisible like the Stealth Sanghelli you fought before? What kind of weapons do they use? All this runs through your mind as you further make your way down and kill the chaff grunt forces with well sounding headshots of your magnum, quick but meaty bursts from your assault rifle, or a well tossed grenade. All feeling fantastic due to their simple, but high-quality animations.

Eventually you find a paranoid marine. At this point you are just as paranoid and can accidentally kill him. He gives you snippets of what transpired. Clearly an enemy separate from the alien menace you have been fending off for half the game at this point. It all culminates into a perfectly well designed cutscene that amplifies the horror and suspense that was built up masterfully to this point.

That is why I love the Halo series. It has a wonderfully rich universe of memorable enemies, combat encounters, set pieces, and a score that is one of the best in the genre. Everything you needed to know was in the game. Levels offered numerous pathways and tools to complete each mission. The environments, locales, and objectives constantly shifted and changed to keep you engaged every minute. And it could all be played with friends and family, locally.

And when you complete the story? You had the multiplayer modes to keep you as engaged. Initially starting with simple modes like TDM, it eventually grew to allow custom made maps in Forge and co-op Firefights. They added more and more customization and progression tools, all with the purchase of the base game. It felt like everything just kept getting bigger and better, while still holding to what made Halo... well, Halo! At least when it was owned by Bungie.

I just loved the open areas, vehicles and split screen co op - like replaying silent cartographer and stuff. Which halo infinite was perfect in that regard for me it just needs split screen. I never messed with forge and firefights and customization too much. But as I said the game needs more maps. And hopefully a battle royale at some point. But I can kinda see why you wouldn’t like it if you cared more about like the soundtrack and the flood level and all that other stuff

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I just loved the open areas, vehicles and split screen co op - like replaying silent cartographer and stuff. Which halo infinite was perfect in that regard for me it just needs split screen. I never messed with forge and firefights and customization too much. But as I said the game needs more maps. And hopefully a battle royale at some point. But I can kinda see why you wouldn’t like it if you cared more about like the soundtrack and the flood level and all that other stuff

I am glad you enjoy it, but for me it didn't capture what made the earlier games so great. Having larger, open zones is fantastic, but they need to be distinct from each other. You have to have constantly changing objectives, enemies, and encounters. So much of Halo Infinite, aside from a very small select number of "levels", it felt like you were doing the same. exact. thing. ad nauseum.

Halo Infinite would have benefited with at least 3 other biomes, one to two other enemy groups to fight, and a focus on more tightly designed larger levels than a bland and forgettable "open world" style concept.

This is what Infinite should have returned to. Almost horror-lite and really diverse mission environments you played through while the story happened as part of the gameplay/discovery. Infinite is "go to this random spot, kill some dudes, push a button and sit and listen to a hologram/AI talking" all the time. One of the worst campaigns in terms of story quality, how it unfolded and a complete lack of mystery that Bungie's Halo CE/2 was famous for. It was a backwards ass story told in retrospective exposition and has no bearing on anything in game whatsoever. There was some cool sandbox moment to moment gameplay but overall I found the campaign clunky, repetitive and completely uninspiring.

Hopefully with the combo of Staten and Bertone we can get a solid Halo campaign out of 343 in the next 3 years. A 10 year wait. Fuck me.

93xfan

Banned
I am glad you enjoy it, but for me it didn't capture what made the earlier games so great. Having larger, open zones is fantastic, but they need to be distinct from each other. You have to have constantly changing objectives, enemies, and encounters. So much of Halo Infinite, aside from a very small select number of "levels", it felt like you were doing the same. exact. thing. ad nauseum.

Halo Infinite would have benefited with at least 3 other biomes, one to two other enemy groups to fight, and a focus on more tightly designed larger levels than a bland and forgettable "open world" style concept.
Yeah, it really didn’t feel like a complete release. Still really enjoyed parts of infinite, but it didn’t blow me away like 1, 2, 3 and Reach.

Oh I woulda loved more biomes and enemies for sure - I definitely think that should be added for sure - disagree on the open world thing though I absolutely loved that shit I was hoping for that since halo 1. They should have put a few more indoor levels in probably though to appease both

EDIT: I am surprised there’s so many people who liked the tighter stuff and story/horror that was more half life’s area from what I recall

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

I finished it and i wouldn't give that game a 9 or 10...never. The whole campaign is maybe a little over a 5.5 for me. The could've go for less open world since there was nothing to explore in the world.

All the game was a WIP that you could play already.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

Because it's legit a great game. The SP was a helluva good time, and the MP (though lacking in more game modes) still has gunplay and gameplay like no other. The foundation for a complete MP experience is there. They just need the push over the hill. Hopefully this new hire can make that happen.

What's all this "Halo is in trouble, shit?" What did I miss?

I don't get it either.

The game was fantastic.

FireFly

Oh I woulda loved more biomes and enemies for sure - I definitely think that should be added for sure - disagree on the open world thing though I absolutely loved that shit I was hoping for that since halo 1. They should have put a few more indoor levels in probably though to appease both

EDIT: I am surprised there’s so many people who liked the tighter stuff and story/horror that was more half life’s area from what I recall
343 Guilty Spark and Floodgate are arguably the only well regarded "horror" levels in the series. We don't need to mention The Library, Cortana is often cited as the worst level in Halo 3 and the Flood levels in Halo 2 are a terrible slog. So I don't see that horror has been a strength of the series, either.

People also forget how much of Halo 1 was just copied and pasted corridors ad infinitum, because the highlights were so strong. Infinite lacks these highlights so the experience fails to stand out, even though the moment-to-moment gameplay is perhaps the best it has ever been, and the level design is similar to past Bungie titles.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

It can never be too late to fix Halo.
People will always come back to this game to give new entry a try, core fans are just too strong but disgruntled.

Fix the story please though. I live for campaigns.

Warablo

I thought Infinites gameplay was solid, just has a problem with progression and player retention. A lot more competition these day's for a multiplayer shooter.

Dane

That was in 2020. I remember in a 2018/2019 interview where Spencer said that Bonnie Ross requested him that Halo Infinite needs a longer dev cycle than previous entries.

Not much
Halo Infinite was announced in 2018, the longer cycle was granted but it was 343i who wanted to release it in parts still at 2020, Spencer had to convince them to push it back an extra year despite not being able to be a launch title so they could ship both features together because otherwise it would have been a massive controversy that could blow up the game's image, considering how MS doesn't hold against delaying games, they could possibly even have it pushed back for this year to have all features at launch. Considering that this was by far the longest development cycle for a Halo game (6 against 2-3 years), it seems that there was cut content and discarded designs to make almost another game.

SegaShack

It's sad that I miss Don Mattrick. Phil Spencer has had almost 10 years now to produce first party games. He has a good public personality but his output speaks for itself.

Meanwhile my favorite Xbox 1 Exclusives were all released in 2013/2014. Phil Spencer is a joke, the Xbox is a 3rd party game machine these days and has been since MS stopped caring about their own studios.

Top Bottom