• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Bungie director joins 343 Industries to work on Halo Infinite

Jinzo Prime

Hello everyone to save some time thought i'd do the forum a solid, rather than making up your own Halo take you can simply select the take of your choice from this handy table.

Doesn't matter if your take of choice has been used in this thread already (it has), Either repeat here or go to the next Halo thread and use it there.

Don't worry there's usually a fresh thread at least once or twice a week so plenty of opportunities to let your feelings known. Its a little skewed toward the negative side, but they get used the most so will be in demand.

H5O7lK2.png
bChb4Ow.png

BINGO! What did I win?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
343 Guilty Spark and Floodgate are arguably the only well regarded "horror" levels in the series. We don't need to mention The Library, Cortana is often cited as the worst level in Halo 3 and the Flood levels in Halo 2 are a terrible slog. So I don't see that horror has been a strength of the series, either.

People also forget how much of Halo 1 was just copied and pasted corridors ad infinitum, because the highlights were so strong. Infinite lacks these highlights so the experience fails to stand out, even though the moment-to-moment gameplay is perhaps the best it has ever been, and the level design is similar to past Bungie titles.

I can't stand the Flood. I thought Halo 3 was magnificent except for the Cortana level. How I loathe that level. I think Flood are the reason Halo: Reach, 4 and Infinite are my favorite Halos.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
One awesome design choice I find is seeing close ups of your team and those poses
Seeing different armor and the final ready steady go pose..

The Simpsons Reaction GIF by FOX International Channels

Wimbledon

Hey Microsoft, here's some free advice:

FIRE BONNIE ROSS

FIRE FRANK O'CONNER

FIRE KIKI WOLFKILL

You can hire all the talent you want, but until the idiots in charge are gone, your franchise will not recover it's lost popularity. That being said, Paul Bertone was the campaign design lead for Halo 2, 3, ODST and Reach, so hopefully he will be able to steer the future campaigns in a positive direction.
THIS

The problem was never the programmers or artist , designers etc. They were never the issue , the issue has always been Leadership, on glassdoors alot of past developers bring up the fact that leadership has no idea how to run a videogame franchise, no direction. I've said as much on this forum a couple of times the series is going nowhere until Phil Spencer decides to fire those 3 individuals starting with Bonnie they got to get those corporate shills out of there.

Banned

FIRE BONNIE ROSS

FIRE FRANK O'CONNER

FIRE KIKI WOLFKILL

You can hire all the talent you want, but until the idiots in charge are gone, your franchise will not recover it's lost popularity. That being said, Paul Bertone was the campaign design lead for Halo 2, 3, ODST and Reach, so hopefully he will be able to steer the future campaigns in a positive direction.

close 343 Industries... reboot the whole franchise like Halloween was rebooted, ignore everything that wasn't made by Bungie... Halo 4 didn't happen, Halo 5 didn't happen and Infinite didn't happen... none of it... Master Chief is still in cryo, floating around in space, waiting to be woken up....
and start again from there WITH A DIFFERENT STUDIO THAT DOESN'T RELY HEAVILY ON CONTRACT WORK!

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned

FIRE BONNIE ROSS

FIRE FRANK O'CONNER

FIRE KIKI WOLFKILL

This is the same guy that leaked Halo 3 and Reach map packs back in the day. He gives some inside info of the culture of the studio and the reddit community.

EagleBurn.png

For full transparency on this, he later claimed that he fabricated all of that and that he didn't wish for anyone's job to be in jeopardy over a video game. Take that as you will

True or not, I've only heard bad stories on the culture of that studio.

Last edited:

Wimbledon

close 343 Industries... reboot the whole franchise like Halloween was rebooted, ignore everything that wasn't made by Bungie... Halo 4 didn't happen, Halo 5 didn't happen and Infinite didn't happen... none of it... Master Chief is still in cryo, floating around in space, waiting to be woken up....
and start again from there WITH A DIFFERENT STUDIO THAT DOESN'T RELY HEAVILY ON CONTRACT WORK!

I would actually be on board with this.

343i has no idea where they want to take this series , first Didact was supposed to be nemeses to Chief, they decided to drop that. Oh yeah and we get a giant exposition dump that kills all the mystery to halo.

Cortana comes back evil and starts the AI rebels and creates the well......created with guardians.....we never fight one created enemy

Now the banished are pretty decent but what is there actual motive are they pirates what do they actually want.

Now the Endless.

I would be fine with just starting over where chief is still floating in space and we start off there.

clarky

Gold Member
This is the same guy that leaked Halo 3 and Reach map packs back in the day. He gives some inside info of the culture of the studio and the reddit community.

EagleBurn.png
Ah ex-employee post bad stuff about former colleague's on the internet. I'd take anything like this with a huge grain of salt.

Although I do agree that upper management at 343 deffo needs a shake up, as posted earlier in the thread.

Last edited:

Banned
I would actually be on board with this.

343i has no idea where they want to take this series , first Didact was supposed to be nemeses to Chief, they decided to drop that. Oh yeah and we get a giant exposition dump that kills all the mystery to halo.

Cortana comes back evil and starts the AI rebels and creates the well......created with guardians.....we never fight one created enemy

Now the banished are pretty decent but what is there actual motive are they pirates what do they actually want.

Now the Endless.

I would be fine with just starting over where chief is still floating in space and we start off there.

the issue with the Banished is that they would have been a decent enemy in an alternate Halo 4... but not in Infinite... we went from a massive thread to humanity, the possibility of forerunner tech being used against humanity who isn't even remotely equipped to counter that, and used by AIs that know all the weak points of humanity's defenses... to a bunch of really angry Brutes
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Last edited:
So he was design director at Bungie more than 10 years ago? Since then he worked on State of Decay 2 while being at Undead Labs for 6 months.

FireFly

the issue with the Banished is that they would have been a decent enemy in an alternate Halo 4... but not in Infinite... we went from a massive thread to humanity, the possibility of forerunner tech being used against humanity who isn't even remotely equipped to counter that, and used by AIs that know all the weak points of humanity's defenses... to a bunch of really angry Brutes
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago
The Banished seem to be meddlers just like the Covenant were. I think they are setting up The Endless as the real threat just like the Halos/Flood were the real threat in Halo.

Jinzo Prime

So he was design director at Bungie more than 10 years ago? Since then he worked on State of Decay 2 while being at Undead Labs for 6 months.
What could he possibly do or fix in six months?? Dude was the Lead Campain Designer for Halo 2 through Reach, 10 years of award-winning campaign design. I think you are being a little reductive here.

What could he possibly do or fix in six months?? Dude was the Lead Campain Designer for Halo 2 through Reach, 10 years of award-winning campaign design. I think you are being a little reductive here.
He was one of the 2 Campain Design Leads for Halo 3 and one of the 2 design leads for Halo 2. He did “additional design” for Reach. I wouldn’t know whether the campaigns were award winning - I know Halo for its MP.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Thinking a game is fun equates mental illness to you?
Of course not. Trying to claim people are “not fans” and that they need to “touch grass” because they are critical of a game in a franchise they love? Yes. That is a form of mental illness. Just as being a console warrior in general is, you guessed it, a mental illness.

Flutta

Banned

EagleBurn.png

For full transparency on this, he later claimed that he fabricated all of that and that he didn't wish for anyone's job to be in jeopardy over a video game. Take that as you will

True or not, I've only heard bad stories on the culture of that studio.
So basically the mentally ill are running the show.
Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It's sad that I miss Don Mattrick. Phil Spencer has had almost 10 years now to produce first party games. He has a good public personality but his output speaks for itself.

Meanwhile my favorite Xbox 1 Exclusives were all released in 2013/2014. Phil Spencer is a joke, the Xbox is a 3rd party game machine these days and has been since MS stopped caring about their own studios.
Da Fook?? This gotta be a troll post..

Zok310

Banned
Just move on already. Halo Infinite is broken for life because its just a bad game from foundation.
Ditch it have the studio talents learn and make a better Halo with the knowledge gained.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Da Fook?? This gotta be a troll post..

I can’t say I disagree. My Xbox has essentially been used exclusively for third party titles. Easily the best way to play the majority of third party games.

However their first party output, at least for me and clearly a number of others, leaves a lot to be desired.

clarky

Gold Member
My Xbox has essentially been used exclusively for third party titles. Easily the best way to play the majority of third party games.

However their first party output, at least for me and clearly a number of others, leaves a lot to be desired.
Agreed, it does feel like its always "next year will be fantastic" syndrome. Although ironically i actually do feel like the dam is about to break regarding their output........ Next year lol

They have had some bad luck regards to delays and covid though so i am willing to wait just a little longer if we are having the same conversation this time next year then theres no excuses.

I do like Halo( i know you don't) but Horizon & flight sim do nothing for me. Motorsport, Starfield and Redfall on the other hand + whatever they have for next fall sounds like a decent year to me.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Agreed, it does feel like its always "next year will be fantastic" syndrome. Although ironically i actually do feel like the dam is about to break regarding their output........ Next year lol

I really hope so. They have some amazing studios. Sadly almost all of them were purchased at a time where they *just* finished or were about to finish a game that was about to release. Its why I really wish MS would not have said *anything* in regards to games these studios are working on especially when they are so far out that some didn’t even have gameplay figured out yet.

oldergamer

What a bunch of bullshit from console warriors with zero clue about the inner issues at a development studio.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What a bunch of bullshit from console warriors with zero clue about the inner issues at a development studio.

Ah, yes. The people who criticize a company in charge of one of their favorite franchises are console warriors. But rabidly defending, dismissing and being triggered by said criticism isn't console warring. Big brain right there. /s

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Of course not. Trying to claim people are “not fans” and that they need to “touch grass” because they are critical of a game in a franchise they love? Yes. That is a form of mental illness. Just as being a console warrior in general is, you guessed it, a mental illness.
You can't even get your quotes straight, my guy. Not what I said.
My point in saying you don't sound like a fan comes from your own words. Hell, it doesn't even sound like you've played Infinite. It's pretty damn fun. Light on content, certainly, but not something to rant about endlessly in every single Halo thread like you have. If you have played it, and simply don't like it, heyyyyy, that's cool.. but it's not like this game is fundamentally bad or broken, which is what you seem to be suggesting. Halo has been a one trick pony for 20 years now, not sure what you're expecting.
Also, suggesting I'm console warring is hilarious, as I main pc, and if I had to choose a console(corporation) I'd go with Nintendo, but you know, gaming forums.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You can't even get your quotes straight, my guy. Not what I said.
This is what you posted. The one who can't seem to keep things straight is you. It is *literally* what you said. Kind of sad that you are trying to claim you didn't say something when everyone can see exactly what you wrote.

My point in saying you don't sound like a fan comes from your own words. Hell, it doesn't even sound like you've played Infinite.
Ah, so I don't sound like a fan because I am critical. And because I am critical and didn't have fun with the game like you, I supposedly haven't played the game?

And you wonder why I call you a console warrior?

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

Last edited:
I don’t think Halo works as a live-service game.

Just make a really big, epic Halo and make the multiplayer great. Beyond that, let anticipation build for a sequel every 3 years. The more resources they pour into whatever it is the goal with Infinite is, the less time is being spent on a follow-up

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

Just make a really big, epic Halo and make the multiplayer great. Beyond that, let anticipation build for a sequel every 3 years. The more resources they pour into whatever it is the goal with Infinite is, the less time is being spent on a follow-up
343i are a studio with a perpetual identity crisis.

If they had launched the game with its current slate of maps but included remastered versions of The Pit, Guardian, Construct, Lockdown and Zenith for Slayer alongside Sandtrap and Valhalla for BTB the game would have retained at least 3-4 times its current active player base.

If they couldn’t do it at launch they should have tried to drop them in every month or so over the past 9 months.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This is what you posted. The one who can't seem to keep things straight is you. It is *literally* what you said. Kind of sad that you are trying to claim you didn't say something when everyone can see exactly what you wrote.

Ah, so I don't sound like a fan because I am critical. And because I am critical and didn't have fun with the game like you, I supposedly haven't played the game?

And you wonder why I call you a console warrior?

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

There are a new wave of people joining the forums that keep asking for receipts that I own a game, when I prove I do they then demand I go into my loft to pull my fucking Wii U out so I can post my play time, at this point I'm just ignoring them.

The forum soon returns to people only screaming at each other over opinion rather than demanding fucking evidence like they think their Edgeworth while producing nothing but hearsay and conjecture themselves, it keeps you sane, and the topics on track... mostly.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

I think it absolutely could work but the clearly 343 don't have the resources. Bungie have been at it with Destiny for years and they struggle to keep up. The amount of recycled content is huge and 1 new MP map in like 2 years?

They need a support studio or 2 to get things moving, maybe MS will re-task an Activision studio or 2 when that deal goes through.

NickFire

Is bringing someone in so far after primary development / launch intended to make changes or just get positive press? Is there much you can really change this late?

clarky

Gold Member
Is bringing someone in so far after primary development / launch intended to make changes or just get positive press? Is there much you can really change this late?
To a live service game? I'd say so. You think the guy his just sat on his plums reading the hot takes on GAF?

Since last year looks like Staten has got rid of all the dead weight and is rebuilding the studio hopefully for the better. Leadership, lets face it has been awful the last few years.

Last edited:

NickFire

To a live service game? I'd say so. You think the guy his just sat on his plums reading the hot takes on GAF?

Since last year looks like Staten has got rid of all the dead weight and is rebuilding the studio hopefully for the better. Leadership, lets face it has been awful the last few years.
It just feels unlikely to me because of how long these games take to develop. I kind of assume the liver service stuff is planned out well before launch in most respects. Time will tell though.

clarky

Gold Member
It just feels unlikely to me because of how long these games take to develop. I kind of assume the liver service stuff is planned out well before launch in most respects. Time will tell though.
Think that is part of the issue, clearly they had zero plan for this game after launch and have been putting out fires ever since. Hopefully by the time season 3 rolls around the content starts coming faster and the seasons shorter because I really enjoy what's there.

I think the time it takes to develop games nowdays is half the reason i can see them sticking with it and just give us decent sized expansions every few years and build on the MP side of things from what they have.

Last edited:
343i are a studio with a perpetual identity crisis.

If they had launched the game with its current slate of maps but included remastered versions of The Pit, Guardian, Construct, Lockdown and Zenith for Slayer alongside Sandtrap and Valhalla for BTB the game would have retained at least 3-4 times its current active player base.

If they couldn’t do it at launch they should have tried to drop them in every month or so over the past 9 months.
ah , I see. I wasn’t aware that the ongoing content being added in was stuff that had intended to be included at launch. Yikes!

I guess my question is what in the world were they making for the last five years if infinite was that light at launch? I just don’t understand why it took so long.

The campaign was larger by halo standards but it still wasn’t very long by modern standards

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
ah , I see. I wasn’t aware that the ongoing content being added in was stuff that had intended to be included at launch. Yikes!

I guess my question is what in the world were they making for the last five years if infinite was that light at launch? I just don’t understand why it took so long.

The campaign was larger by halo standards but it still wasn’t very long by modern standards
No, I’m saying they should have had that stuff ready. They don’t have anything. They’ve added 1 arena map and 1 big team map in the last 9 months and there’s nothing on the horizon.

Top Bottom