• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FoamStars announced by Square Enix | PlayStation Showcase

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nintendo watching that trailer and getting ready to wipe square enix off the planet with a mega legal case.

All the moves shown and the way it plays was 100% blatant splatoon rip off
I doubt there are legal grounds for these concepts but it's definitely a bit too on the nose and doesn't scream creativity. Or even polish at this stage. The overall visual style is a mess too, they should have gotten more inspiration from Splatoon on that front rather than mash it up with Fortnite also...

Ink, foam, swimming in ink, surfing on foam, every basic aspect has something analogus in this and then so do the details like some of the skills and weapons and their fire rates or sounds (but those are more common, some also look like COD killstreak skills etc., still, all together it's just too much).

Last edited:

SaintALia

It looked cute and fun. Hope it comes to Xbox and/or PC. I’d play it. 👍🏻
Seems fully exclusive for now. Wasn't in the XBO tweets, nor is any other platform referenced on the official site.

I'm guessing this is mostly aimed at the Japanese audience(given it's Splatoon inspiration), and it may come to PC, but it's likely going to be skipping XBO entirely. Wouldn't be surprised if Sony was co-funding this.

Iced Arcade

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

SaintALia

Also, just a random thought. This concept would actually make sense for a Dead or Alive type spinoff. Like having people in bikinis and swimwear doing this stuff. Seeing adults in full get-ups spraying suds/foam is a bit odd.

But I guess they're gonna have MTX bikinis anyway.

Neolombax

This looks fun to me, its Splatoon but minus the charm and character. The concept of being able to travel on the foam looks very interesting to be honest.

Shifty1897

I laughed really hard while watching this but it's honestly a good idea. Give me Splatoon gameplay with a decent multiplayer network service and you've got a winner.

Mr.ODST

I doubt there are legal grounds for these concepts but it's definitely a bit too on the nose and doesn't scream creativity. Or even polish at this stage. The overall visual style is a mess too, they should have gotten more inspiration from Splatoon on that front rather than mash it up with Fortnite also...

Ink, foam, swimming in ink, surfing on foam, every basic aspect has something analogus in this and then so do the details like some of the skills and weapons and their fire rates or sounds (but those are more common, some also look like COD killstreak skills etc., still, all together it's just too much).
Think its more that the animations of weapons and the splatoon grenades and equipment are all exactly the same

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Square have lost hope and any idea of what makes a good game so they copy Nintendo with a splatoon clone...sheeeeiiiiiiitt

Terrible attempt at a cash grab. Hope its doa

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
It's quite a shame that you can make a game like this, people complain about sequels and remakes and how, but to me this is what something "shameful" looks like.

Tams

Fuck me... we're starting to see the returns of all those accounts Evilore & co approved recently lol. If it's not AAAA in the vein of FFXVI, Resident Evil or God of War then it's "trash, garbage, awful" etc.

Bruh, the gameplay on the trailer looks convoluted and janky.

Not to mention it being very close to Splatoon. It's not a clone or copy, but damn is it just trying to can in on the same themes. If you do that though, at least try to do it well.

As usual; we'll see how it is and does.

mxbison

I didn't mind this one.

It has an obvious target audience which I'm not part of and that's fine.

Better than all those shitty gaas shooters they are trying to force onto their old player base.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I do find it weird how if Nintendo comes up with an idea, when somebody else tries to do a spin on it they get absolutely hammered for daring to do so.

Same thing happens with kart games and party fighters, they seem to rarely get given a chance from the jump.

near

Gold Member
I do find it weird how if Nintendo comes up with an idea, when somebody else tries to do a spin on it they get absolutely hammered for daring to do so.

Same thing happens with kart games and party fighters, they seem to rarely get given a chance from the jump.

Of course, the immediate reaction will be drawn from the comparison. That's not to say that the final product won't be a good one, or that it will fail to sustain a player base. But you can hardly blame those that find it difficult to an announcement like this when it overtly draws its inspiration from Splatoon.

Agreed. I feel this will be the next "it's cool to hate it" game. If it was Splatoon 4, everyone would be cheering.
The game doesn't look bad.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
If it was Splatoon 4, everyone would be cheering.
Of course they would, how is that even a comparison?

Pretty sure people would criticize a blatant rip-off of e.g. The Last of Us and cheer for The Last of Us: Part 3 as well. Why would anyone not be more excited for the original?

Last edited:
Of course they would, how is that even a comparison?

Pretty sure people would criticize a blatant rip-off of e.g. The Last of Us and cheer for The Last of Us: Part 3 as well. Why would anyone not be more excited for the original?
Maybe base games on whether or not they are actually good games? We haven't seen enough of the game to know what differentiates it before writing it off.

Agreed. I feel this will be the next "it's cool to hate it" game. If it was Splatoon 4, everyone would be cheering.
The game doesn't look bad.

Remember how badly people treated the first Soulslike games that started appearing?

giphy.gif

Seems like the first ones in line always get the worst reactions.

Robb

Gold Member
Maybe base games on whether or not they are actually good games? We haven't seen enough of the game to know what differentiates it before writing it off.
I agree and my post probably reads very harsh. I really don’t think there’s anything wrong with getting more of something like Splatoon, there’s really good ideas/mechanics in there and it’s nice to see at least some other dev pick them up. Hopefully this turns out great.

I just think it’s natural and to be expected that people would be way more excited for a continuation of the original franchise (which is proven to be great) rather than a new IP that’s trying to do the same thing.

Now I don’t want to play this, but I can see where there’s some small potential for innovation. The foam actually has volume so you are creating a new landscape as you lay down foam walls that can block line of sight etc. Overall though it’s meh, splatoon knockoff for if you don’t have a switch.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Of course, the immediate reaction will be drawn from the comparison. That's not to say that the final product won't be a good one, or that it will fail to sustain a player base. But you can hardly blame those that find it difficult to an announcement like this when it overtly draws its inspiration from Splatoon.

Why shoot down something similar to a thing you really like ?

People really like Nintendo's formats. These games sell huge, but it always seems like there are fewer similar titles on other platforms than their popularity would suggest. Certainly successful ones.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it wasn't always like this.

near

Gold Member
Why shoot down something similar to a thing you really like ?

People really like Nintendo's formats. These games sell huge, but it always seems like there are fewer similar titles on other platforms than their popularity would suggest. Certainly successful ones.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it wasn't always like this.

I don't really think that behaviour is exclusive to Nintendo titles. There have been a history of cases where games are released that are literally copy & paste that fail, not only commercially but critically. In most cases, fans will call out a game for its similarities. We coined the term souls-like because of this.

Last edited:
I don't really think that behaviour is exclusive to Nintendo titles. There have been a history of cases where games are released that are literally copy & paste that fail, not only commercially but critically. In most cases, fans will call out a game for its similarities. We coined the term souls-like because of this.
I look at it like this: Some of them fail so that others can succeed.

Thanks to Souls being 'copied' for years, we've gotten gems like Ni-Oh, Let it Die, and Remnant amongst many good entries. Now we're getting Remnant 2, Lies of P, and potentially Code Vein 2. This wouldn't have happened without games like Lords of the Fallen 1 being one of the first ones to help open that door and then falling on the sword.

This is why I like when people 'copy' others. It can end up in a new genre rather than only one company having a say so over that entire genre.

Edit: This has gone back years too. Here's one of my favorite examples:

Xvu2qCK.png

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I look at it like this: Some of them fail so that others can succeed.

Thanks to Souls being 'copied' for years, we've gotten gems like Ni-Oh, Let it Die, and Remnant amongst many good entries. Now we're getting Remnant 2, Lies of P, and potentially Code Vein 2. This wouldn't have happened without games like Lords of the Fallen 1 being one of the first ones to help open that door and then falling on the sword.

This is why I like when people 'copy' others. It can end up in a new genre rather than only one company having a say so over that entire genre.

Exactly, and the ones that succeed are very much appreciated. I mean who knows, Foamstars might actually be really fun, I will try it if it is F2P, but until then, it is a Splatoon ripoff lol.

Square just replaced the kids with foam women for the western male anime fan audience.

Like that one shooter with the bikinis. Untapped market on the Switch.

Nydius

Just watched the trailer and yeah, it's a very blatant Splatoon ripoff. Weapons, specials, movesets.

But that doesn't bother me so much. The reason it's going to fail is because it doesn't have anywhere near the same level of charm as Splatoon. It also doesn't appear to have nearly as many options -- it appears to be solely a PVP game, whereas Splatoon has PVP, single player, and coop PVE that flesh out the entire world. And despite my issues with some of the maps and balancing of Splatoon, Nintendo has a solid track record of releasing content and updates to improve the game. Square-Enix's track record is... ehhhhhh, not great in that regard.

I feel like this is going to end up going the same route as Knockout City.
Flash in the pan, extreme drop off, never to recover, and then shut down within 2 years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom