• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FoamStars announced by Square Enix | PlayStation Showcase

Nydius

De-Blob-US.jpg
GreenMeatyAfricanrockpython-size_restricted.gif

There’s been a bunch of games like these.
de Blob and its sequel were puzzle platformers, not PVP shooters.

de Blob was about returning color to a world that had been drained of it and was more akin to Kirby and 3D Mario.

Completely different games and styles. No one in their right mind would look at de Blob and accuse Nintendo of ripping it off when they made Splatoon.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
It's a bit surprising to see it being the most liked announcement of the showcase on PS Japan's Twitter account.

Maybe it will do well there.
Is this comming to Switch? Feels like its doomed to fail if it doesn't launch on where the majority of fans are.
Fans?

dotnotbot

It's a bit surprising to see it being the most liked announcement of the showcase on PS Japan's Twitter account.

Maybe it will do well there.

Fans?

Aesthetics look cool, for zoomers at least but I kinda like it as well, it's like fortnitized anime.

nial

Gold Member
Splatoon fans?
And this is not Splatoon. To elaborate, go out and directly compete with that game would be a complete waste on Square Enix's part, so I don't know why you would take the game as "DOOOOOOOOOMED" for granted just because it focuses on a platform with no established, juggernaut alternative.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
And this is not Splatoon. To elaborate, go out and directly compete with that game would be a complete waste on Square Enix's part, so I don't know why you would take the game as "DOOOOOOOOOMED" for granted just because it focuses on a platform with no established, juggernaut alternative.
Its batlantly a Splatoon clone. Not being on THE platform that the game that inspired it, on the country that PS has about 10% of the total marketshare, is stupid to say the least,. Regardless of the platform, when you have a game that it is that similar to the game that birthed it, and that there isnt really anything similar, you cant simply skip the platform it is popular. Especially on a country which is represented of 50% of Splatoon's total sales.

nial

Gold Member
Its batlantly a Splatoon clone. Not being on THE platform that the game that inspired it, on the country that PS has about 10% of the total marketshare, is stupid to say the least,. Regardless of the platform, when you have a game that it is that similar to the game that birthed it, and that there isnt really anything similar, you cant simply skip the platform it is popular. Especially on a country which is represented of 50% of Splatoon's total sales.
And that's why if you have a game that appeals to the Japanese, you go and build an audience for that platform. There must be plenty of reasons why it's not on Switch anyway, but focusing on a console with no alternative is probably for the best.

Nautilus

Banned
And that's why if you have a game that appeals to the Japanese, you go and build an audience for that platform. There must be plenty of reasons why it's not on Switch anyway, but focusing on a console with no alternative is probably for the best.
Not at all lol. You are making a game for a platform that has 10% of the marketshare(Because lets face it, most of the audience of this game will be in Japan), so since the vast majority of people that like this game is on Switch, you will need to convince them to buy a 500 dollar console, on top of the game.

A much better strategy is just make a great game that can stand on its own legs, even if its pretty much inspired by Splatoon, and launch on the system where there is an audience for it. Being a quality game, it will draw people to it, even if its a fraction of what Splatoon has.

nial

Gold Member
Not at all lol. You are making a game for a platform that has 10% of the marketshare(Because lets face it, most of the audience of this game will be in Japan), so since the vast majority of people that like this game is on Switch, you will need to convince them to buy a 500 dollar console, on top of the game.
No? It's also releasing on PS4 and I really don't see how hard it could be to build an audience for a game that appeals to the Japanese and doesn't look that different to Apex and Genshin aesthetically. If anything, it would be a lot harder to convince the Switch fanbase to play this over Splatoon.

Nautilus

Banned
No? It's also releasing on PS4 and I really don't see how hard it could be to build an audience for a game that appeals to the Japanese and doesn't look that different to Apex and Genshin aesthetically. If anything, it would be a lot harder to convince the Switch fanbase to play this over Splatoon.
The PS4 is a very old console which active userbase is dwindling every single month at this point in time. And just because it is colorful doesn't mean it will be successful. If that's all it took, many anime games would be million sellers. You are tryiong to convince an audience that has no interest in that game into playing it. Splatoon-like games are on Switch, and you gotta be there if you want to have a shot at sucess. Thinking anything else is just suicide.

Nautilus

Banned
I never implied otherwise, just that it CAN succeed and it all comes down to Square Enix's handling of it. Honestly? It's best to wait and see how it turns out.
I just think that's just too of an optimistic take. We know PS5 and PS4 software is really strugling in Japan right now, so having a game on a genre that is clearly more popular on the Switch just for PS systems is questionable, and on top of that said game being more popular on Japan, whose PS marketshare is just around 10%.

But yeah, lets wait. They didn't even gave it a release date.

HTK

Banned
Why would anyone green light this bullshit and who are the idiots lining up to buy this shit?

nial

Gold Member
So….

Apparently this this good. Jeff Gertsmann thinks it’s pretty good and Andy Robinson has called it his game of the show.

Colour me surprised.
I heard the same thing, cool I guess? I honestly thought it was needlessly maligned when it was first shown.

Top Bottom