• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flat Earth "The truth is more important than my life."

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You’re going to tell me it’s space aren’t you.
You're the mind-reader. You should already know the answer.

(no, I'm trying to help you comprehend that the math you are dismissing is what allows you to speak to us over the internet in the first place. Since it seems like you are sheltered and do not have access to very much information or tools of investigation, I thought I'd throw a rope)

Weilthain

Banned
You're the mind-reader. You should already know the answer.

(no, I'm trying to help you comprehend that the math you are dismissing is what allows you to speak to us over the internet in the first place. Since it seems like you are sheltered and do not have access to very much information or tools of investigation, I thought I'd throw a rope)

I thought you were going to bring up satellites.

I’m not a maths denier. Space maths is bollocks though.

DESTROYA

I’m not a math denier
Then can you explain this, it’s a pretty simple thing to test.
What would the ancient Greeks have to gain by saying the Earth is round

But when it comes to proving the Earth is round, Aristotle was the first Greek philosopher to put his money where his mouth was. When writing his book "On the Heavens" in 350 B.C., he laid out several pieces of evidence for the Earth having a spherical shape. For one thing, he pointed out, you can see the shadow of the Earth on the moon during a lunar eclipse — and since that shadow is always round regardless of where the Earth is in its rotation, you know the Earth is round.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Math was used thousands of years ago to prove the curvature of the earth, an experiment that anyone with some basic tools can replicate with ease.

This experiment is run regularly by elementary schools and middle schools. It only took a minute of Googling to find one such group (out of many) that you could join and test the assertions for yourself.

Or, since YouTube seems to be your info source of choice:

So it seems like we're all set.

Weilthain

Banned
Then can you explain this, it’s a pretty simple thing to test.
What would the ancient Greeks have to gain by saying the Earth is round

https://curiosity.com/topics/how-th...://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes[/QUOTE]
This experiment is run regularly by elementary schools and middle schools. It only took a minute of Googling to find one such group (out of many) that you could join and test the assertions for yourself.

Or, since YouTube seems to be your info source of choice:

So it seems like we're all set.

It will take more than some sticks and a maths equation to convince me the world is a spinning ball covered in water

Last edited:

DESTROYA

It will take more than some sticks and a maths equation to convince me the world is a spinning ball covered in water
Everything that can be proven can be dismissed????
Can you explain the round shadow of Earth on the moon during a lunar eclipse?
At this point it seems everything we show with facts and science you just thrown aside as junk when it could easily be done by anyone.

Boss Mog

Space and the globe seems a lot like religion to me.
You don’t know what shape the earth is.
Except that we do, we've been to space and seen it from afar, we have pictures and video that prove it's a spinning sphere. All the physics data backs it up as well. People don't believe in god because we've never seen god, but we've seen the Earth plenty, it's a sphere, to suggest otherwise is to be purposely obtuse.

Razorback

Everything that can be proven can be dismissed????
Can you explain the round shadow of Earth on the moon during a lunar eclipse?
At this point it seems everything we show with facts and science you just thrown aside as junk when it could easily be done by anyone.

It'll take more than some sticks and a maths equation to convince him the world is a spinning ball covered in water
It'll take more than a little round shadow on the moon to convince him the world is a spinning ball covered in water.
It'll take more than hours upon hours of footage from different space agencies from many different countries and private companies to convince him the world is a spinning ball covered in water.
It'll take more than the notion of a force like gravity that is at the core of physics, the scientific pursuit that fuels all of humanity's engineering and technological endeavors to convince him the world is a spinning ball covered in water

On the other hand, the centuries-long conspiracy across all nations of the world that would certainly be the most expensive undertaking in the history of humankind to perpetuate the notion that the Earth is round for reasons of "controlling the population" despite there not being any apparent reason why things would be different if people believed the Earth was actually flat?
Now that's something he can believe in! Because despite said astronomically complicated and expensive conspiracy, some dudes on youtube still managed to figure it out. Damn.

Last edited:

iamblades

There is no such thing as 'space math', and you don't need anything more recent than Pythagoras to work out all the math that proves a spherical Earth for yourself with your own data.

Some basic trigonometry and a theodolite and you can see for yourself. The math is only needed to measure the curvature though, to see it all you need is a long spirit level and a known elevation and distance. Go to the space needle in Seattle with a spirit level and you can look down at Mount Rainier, which at 14000 ft should be towering above you.

Last edited:
I’m not a math denier
You're clearly delusional if you think the earth is flat, and that gravity was invented to accommodate a spherical earth. If the earth was flat, why do snipers have to take the rotation of the earth into consideration when shooting at extremely long ranges? They have to account for gravity, wind, the rate of which the earth turns, and so on before they can even pull the trigger. Are you suggesting the earth is flat, like a pancake with bumps, and we're slowly flipping around in space as we travel? That is utterly ridiculous. We've been observed as a sphere and have photographic evidence of such from the ISS, moon, and beyond.

Weilthain

Banned
You're clearly delusional if you think the earth is flat, and that gravity was invented to accommodate a spherical earth. If the earth was flat, why do snipers have to take the rotation of the earth into consideration when shooting at extremely long ranges? They have to account for gravity, wind, the rate of which the earth turns, and so on before they can even pull the trigger. Are you suggesting the earth is flat, like a pancake with bumps, and we're slowly flipping around in space as we travel? That is utterly ridiculous. We've been observed as a sphere and have photographic evidence of such from the ISS, moon, and beyond.

the floating pizza thing was one of the first things I brought up.

Weilthain

Banned
You all realise you're arguing with someone who only posts one or two sentences per reply and doesn't explain anything, right? This is on purpose.

It’s not a big deal that I don’t believe the heliocentric model.

It’s some of you that have a problem with me not being a believer, not the other way around.

Weilthain

Banned
Ocm5ji6.jpg

Beer time vape time. I want to invite you guys round to play pool and talk about space and stuff.

Razorback

Educated guess based on evidence, but not currently proven as fact.

Sorry, this isn't right. In the context of science, nothing is ever proven or called a fact. Theories are the highest level of scientific achievement. That's because there's never a situation where you have gathered all the possible evidence. You can always find more, including evidence that might disprove your theory.

Sorry, this isn't right. In the context of science, nothing is ever proven or called a fact. Theories are the highest level of scientific achievement. That's because there's never a situation where you have gathered all the possible evidence. You can always find more, including evidence that might disprove your theory.
that’s fair. there are Scientific laws as well as scientific theories, But there are also scientific facts which can be proven indefinitely such as, the earth is a sphere.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
A lot of ignorance on the topic of flat earth here. Let me clarify for those that don't know. First of all in the flat earth model the world is not a dish floating through space as there is no space and the planet is not moving at all. It's considered more of a dome type structure think of a snowglobe, the glass is typically a round dome with a flat circular bottom. Nothing can escape the dome. They believe satellites and all our space rockets have never broken the dome and all float in lower orbit. As for gravity it doesn't exist, it's simply density. Things fall because they are denser than something else. The main example they use for this is water, water is always level and fills a container so our oceans are level and fill the container of the dome being held down by density and not gravity. Antarctica's giant ice walls which actually do encircle the entire round earth are believed to be the walls that keep the water levels where they are. Lastly the idea as to WHY they are supposedly lying to us about the shape of the earth is to enable theories such as evolution. If the earth was flat and there was no space, no big bang, and no solar system of other stars, galaxies, etc. then it leads to the idea that we must have been designed by some bigger power and not just a shit accident caused by a tiny probability that is just a theory in the first place. Basically if you do not believe in the round earth then you must believe in creation by design. Anyways I'm tired, hungover, and my phone is dying so forgive my typing but that's essentially the reality of flat earth. Anything outside of that are bullshitters trying to make the movement look insane. Do I believe in it? No, but it does interest me, and I sure as shit don't believe anything from NASA.

Last edited:
A lot of ignorance on the topic of flat earth here. Let me clarify for those that don't know. First of all in the flat earth model the world is not a dish floating through space as there is no space and the planet is not moving at all. It's considered more of a dome type structure think of a snowglobe, the glass is typically a round dome with a flat circular bottom. Nothing can escape the dome. They believe satellites and all our space rockets have never broken the dome and all float in lower orbit. As for gravity it doesn't exist, it's simply density. Things fall because they are denser than something else. The main example they use for this is water, water is always level and fills a container so our oceans are level and fill the container of the dome being held down by density and not gravity. Antarctica's giant ice walls which actually do encircle the entire round earth are believed to be the walls that keep the water levels where they are. Lastly the idea as to WHY they are supposedly lying to us about the shape of the earth is to enable theories such as evolution. If the earth was flat and there was no space, no big bang, and no solar system of other stars, galaxies, etc. then it leads to the idea that we must have been designed by some bigger power and not just a shit accident caused by a tiny probability that is just a theory in the first place. Basically if you do not believe in the round earth then you must believe in creation by design. Anyways I'm tired, hungover, and my phone is dying so forgive my typing but that's essentially the reality of flat earth. Anything outside of that are bullshitters trying to make the movement look insane. Do I believe in it? No, but it does interest me, and I sure as shit don't believe anything from NASA.
😂😂😂😂 the round earth was brought up in science waaaaaay before evolution was an idea. The Ignorance and irony of this post.....it hurts

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
😂😂😂😂 the round earth was brought up in science waaaaaay before evolution was an idea. The Ignorance and irony of this post.....it hurts
The greeks were actually the progenitors of the idea of evolution:

They were the ones to "prove" ;) the circumference of the round earth using math (terran math, not to be confused with space math). And they were the ones to invent theatre. Hollywood. Mathematics. Evolution. Outer space. The greeks are responsible for it all.

Runs deep. You know what's even crazier? The Sumerians proposed that the universe was a dome. You'd think that the originators of the first known written language would get more credit, but Western society seems to obsess over the math-loving Greeks. And isn't that just so funny, the greeks disagreed with the Sumerian's older and more traditional viewpoint of the earth's shape.

You dribblers need to wake up and realize that this conflict goes back to the beginning of human history. The sumerianwashing of our earth's true shape is despicable.

The greeks were actually the progenitors of the idea of evolution:

They were the ones to "prove" ;) the circumference of the round earth using math (terran math, not to be confused with space math). And they were the ones to invent theatre. Hollywood. Mathematics. Evolution. Outer space. The greeks are responsible for it all.

Runs deep. You know what's even crazier? The Sumerians proposed that the universe was a dome. You'd think that the originators of the first known written language would get more credit, but Western society seems to obsess over the math-loving Greeks. And isn't that just so funny, the greeks disagreed with the Sumerian's older and more traditional viewpoint of the earth's shape.

You dribblers need to wake up and realize that this conflict goes back to the beginning of human history. The sumerianwashing of our earth's true shape is despicable.
Interesting but the idea of evolution still didn’t take shape or credibility until Darwin’s findings so my point still applies. Even then though the Catholic Church and pope widely accepts the round Earth the two are not mutually exclusive. But yes the Greeks and Romans were the true pioneers of math and science

SKM1

It's outstanding how some people insist in proposing that the most intelligent people in the planet are involved in a pointless conspiracy throughout centuries, worldwide.

There are also some people who are always annoyingly trying to tell you why anything that you propose is actually wrong. They don't actually care about facts or discussions. They are pathological deniers. I know a few of them.

"I'm not a Holocaust denier. Concentration camps are bollocks though."

As for gravity it doesn't exist, it's simply density. Things fall because they are denser than something else.

Density is not a force - it is a measure of concentration. For an object to move, it must have a net force applied to it. Things fall or sink when gravitational force is stronger than buoyant forces caused by differential pressure across an object in a fluid.

Elcid

Banned
"I'm not a Holocaust denier. Concentration camps are bollocks though."

Density is not a force - it is a measure of concentration. For an object to move, it must have a net force applied to it. Things fall or sink when gravitational force is stronger than buoyant forces caused by differential pressure across an object in a fluid.
I'm not saying what I believe density is I'm explaining what the flat earther theory explanation is.

Weilthain

Banned
what are your views on Christianity?

do you like boobs?

fuck it...is this angular saxophone?

Not religious personally. I have nothing against Christians though (wife is Catholic Church goer) but I buy their creation story about as much as I do the Catholic Churches Big Bang theory.

I’m not angular saxophone. Everyone keeps saying that.
He sounds like he was one of the great thinkers of our time, but I only remember seeing his name and avatar before I don’t know what he did.

Elcid

Banned
Not religious personally. I have nothing against Christians though (wife is Catholic Church goer) but I buy their creation story about as much as I do the Catholic Churches Big Bang theory.

He sounds like he was one of the great thinkers of our time, but I only remember seeing his name and avatar before I don’t know what he did.
Even if flat earth was true, it's still not the greatest deception of our time. There are so many worse topics out there that should be explored but aren't.

Greedings

But how do you feel about boobs?

I hate your new avatar.

It should be this.

I'm very happy on the inside.

Top Bottom