• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

Raven117

Man, I really don't know any more. I've completely lost touch with what my body wants and needs. Like I said, I was doing insane crossfit training for 2-3 months, having never done it before that. A year ago I was hitting the gym twice a day with just 4 hours sleep for weeks. I've switched from eating 7 times a day to eating 1 time a day just like that. No problem. My body just does what my head tells it. Kinda neat in some regards but it makes it really hard to judge when you reached your limits.... which is quite important for this sport after all.
Man, you sound a lot like me a few years ago. I did something similar and I had to take some time off.

I would suggest stepping away from all of this for a few weeks. Maybe a month. Maybe longer. Let your body heal up. Breathe a little.

in the mean time, I would suggest really putting in the time to figure out your goals, and take moderate steps to achieve them. Want to be athletic? Strong? Ripped? All are different types of work outs.

you are just blowing yourself up and your body is trying to catch up.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Man, you sound a lot like me a few years ago. I did something similar and I had to take some time off.

I would suggest stepping away from all of this for a few weeks. Maybe a month. Maybe longer. Let your body heal up. Breathe a little.

in the mean time, I would suggest really putting in the time to figure out your goals, and take moderate steps to achieve them. Want to be athletic? Strong? Ripped? All are different types of work outs.

you are just blowing yourself up and your body is trying to catch up.
I‘m long past that point of no return bro.... I actually did a month break in December last year...

I counted the days until I could train again and was into it 100% after a week or two. At least I can get a couple of hours sleep at night now. Throughout last year I was barely sleeping. My mind was always on edge, ready for training. My mind and body are the equivalent of when a normal person is hungry... only with sports. See, as soon as a normal human being is hungry it tries to get something to eat. For me it‘s like this... As soon as my body has a little bit of energy, I need to train. I just can‘t help it. Would probably have to get off sports for year or so to get off of this mindset but I could never do that.

I feel like I have the mind and dedication of a professional athlete but currently my body just doesn‘t follow suit and it‘s driving me insane.

As for the goals... I found that to be a tricky thing to set. My goals change all the time because my perception changes all the time. The guy that is swole doesn‘t look that swole anymore when I am as well. Know what I mean? When I was bulky I wanted to be shredded. When I was shredded, I wanted to bulk up again. When I was both bulky and reasonably shredded I had huge issues with my skin. Changed my diet, skin cleaned up but my gains vanished.

So yeah, so much about goals mate. When I started 10 years ago I just wanted to loose 20 pounds. Ahhh... Simpler days... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Raven117

I‘m long past that point of no return bro.... I actually did a month break in December last year...

I counted the days until I could train again and was into it 100% after a week or two. At least I can get a couple of hours sleep at night now. Throughout last year I was barely sleeping. My mind was always on edge, ready for training. My mind and body are the equivalent of when a normal person is hungry... only with sports. See, as soon as a normal human being is hungry it tries to get something to eat. For me it‘s like this... As soon as my body has a little bit of energy, I need to train. I just can‘t help it. Would probably have to get off sports for year or so to get off of this mindset but I could never do that.

I feel like I have the mind and dedication of a professional athlete but currently my body just doesn‘t follow suit and it‘s driving me insane.

As for the goals... I found that to be a tricky thing to set. My goals change all the time because my perception changes all the time. The guy that is swole doesn‘t look that swole anymore when I am as well. Know what I mean? When I was bulky I wanted to be shredded. When I was shredded, I wanted to bulk up again. When I was both bulky and reasonably shredded I had huge issues with my skin. Changed my diet, skin cleaned up but my gains vanished.

So yeah, so much about goals mate. When I started 10 years ago I just wanted to loose 20 pounds. Ahhh... Simpler days... :messenger_tears_of_joy:
What a post! Wow! Well, obviously you are beyond the advice of the internet. Maybe talk to a professional? I do hope you find some kind of equilibrium and can find some peace.

life is too short to spend all your time training.

Raven117

No need to act butthurt mate. Sorry if I offended you in any way. Chill.
Huh? Why would I be butthurt or offended?

It sounded like in your posts you were struggling with all of this. With too much training, not enough training. Not being able to set goals in which you are happy with and constantly switching. If you aren't struggling, and happy with doing it this way, then knock yourself out. It sounded like you weren't happy with this and I was merely pointing out that talking to a professional may help focus you.

I suppose the tone in my post could be taken a different way, but it was only meant to encourage you to do what makes you happy and achieve your goals while not driving yourself crazy.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

How’s the weekend FitnessGAF?

L-sit chin-ups, regular chin ups, hanging inversions, pelican curls, dragon flags (floor), and skin the cat on the rings were my big lifts today. Didn’t mess w kettlebells or the heavier slam balls at all. Feels good to get a heavy pump with body weight exercises.

Plow pose, back bends, ballet barre routines, and chin teeps on the 15lb bag were my big stretches. The routines are aimed at extending leg flexibility and stability while strengthening that lower spine at the same time.

Helped my wife teach art at our homeschool co-op today.

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm.

Ah, that feeling when you assert dominance in front of an entire class of teenagers when the jacked "alpha" farmboy twerp at the top of their pecking order takes you up on your offer of arm wrestling at the lunch table
Unfortunately I fell in love with the sport of arm wrestling during the last year (covid) and have no one to learn from, other than watching videos and my general weight training. Hopefully I can join a club in a nearby city (I’m in a rural setting) once this mess is over.

My nephew is about 280, down from a max of 400, and for reasons unknown to me (I didn’t live nearby during his teenage years) he’s a bit of a mouth and has a touch of bully in him. I’ve noticed him try to out alpha anyone he is around, including me. He’d be a natural “strongman” with his big frame, and is “farm strong” already.

During a Christmas get together he was beaking off and being loud and I had a few drinks in me and said something to the effect of “Why don’t we arm wrestle”? He was like “Bring it on” and got down on the floor to the coffee table with me. The way he said it was like he had been waiting for an opportunity to show me up. His high confidence showed me he thought very little of me, and I thought I fucked up challenging him with everyone watching. So we gripped up.

Then I flashed him and it was glorious.

And I was so amped up afterwards I could barely have a normal conversation until I calmed down.

He’s still an annoying twat, but he respects me now.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

These are a little pricey, but worth it. Don't go too cheap on running shoes. Good ones make a world of a difference.

Lift like a mule, eat like a horse. Your body will fill out and you'll lose the skinny fat look.

Also, congrats on quitting smoking.
Ya I'm back on the eating more train again.

Thanks everyone for their encouragement after some soul searching the weekend, I think I'm gonna eat more calories and stop losing the weight.

It's a lot more fun putting on muscle anyway and fuck it if I have a little belly.
I should fill out anyway as others have said.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Huh? Why would I be butthurt or offended?

It sounded like in your posts you were struggling with all of this. With too much training, not enough training. Not being able to set goals in which you are happy with and constantly switching. If you aren't struggling, and happy with doing it this way, then knock yourself out. It sounded like you weren't happy with this and I was merely pointing out that talking to a professional may help focus you.

I suppose the tone in my post could be taken a different way, but it was only meant to encourage you to do what makes you happy and achieve your goals while not driving yourself crazy.
now kiss adventure time GIF

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My workout yesterday kicked my ass. I took some CDB oil before bed and ended up getting some amazing sleep. Woke up after 9 hours of it feeling a bit sore & stiff but overall really good. I recommend it.

God Enel

I hope they reconsider the ban. He brings value to this forum. Huge loss imo.
Absolutely agreed 100%.
So many valuable members gone in the last couple of months. And even the ban review thread is gone where we can discuss that. Couple of weeks ago I already messaged DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi and asked what was going on here on gaf.. and now this.
i mean I can understand the reason why he was banned. The particular post wasn’t ‘quite nice’, and I understand why he was banned. But im with you hope as well they’re going to reconsider it.

Fitness ot will never be the same :(

Sorry for derailing this thread

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You can click on the bottom of the page on bans.
his post was pretty fucked up. :/
Yeah, totally out of line... No matter how much value he brought to this thread, the post was unacceptable.

@topic: 300 goblet squats today and afterwards my huge meal. Now I‘m lying here for 30 min, unable to get up. But god damn if I didn‘t deserve that meal. :messenger_sunglasses:
Call me crazy but fully think I‘m training my abs with such a meal as well because after it I lie down and contract my abs as much as I can. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Pretty jazzed, been cleaning up my diet and weight training 3x a week. I got my blood test results back.

I've managed to improve the following numbers:
Total Cholesterol: 220 to 179 (Normal is <200)
Triglycerides: 213 to 98 (Normal is <150)
LDL Cholesterol: 142 to 119 (Doc wants me under 100, but preferably under 70)
Non HDL Cholesterol: 177 to 139 (I'm still a little high, normal would be <130)

Very encouraging for me, and the diet and exercise routine I've been doing for the past 4-5 months has been pretty sustainable.

Pretty jazzed, been cleaning up my diet and weight training 3x a week. I got my blood test results back.

Very encouraging for me, and the diet and exercise routine I've been doing for the past 4-5 months has been pretty sustainable.
Did you cut out alcohol for those triglyceride levels?! That's a crazy change. Congrats either way

Raven117

This is the good stuff! Great work.

You feel good?

Did you cut out alcohol for those triglyceride levels?! That's a crazy change. Congrats either way
I only drink on the weekends. Mostly red wine. Some beer. Some bourbon. And I tend to go overboard on Saturday’s.

I also intermittent fast from 8pm to noon the next day on weekdays.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Post about using violence against another poster. Was pretty rough.

NIIICE!! What were you doing?

Every other day I do the below routine for 6 sets. When it falls on saturdays I bump up to 8 sets.
  • Shoulder shrugs w/ dumbbells x10
  • Bicep curls w/ dumbbells x10
  • Body weight squats w/ weighted vest x10
  • Push-ups w/ weight vest x10
  • Kettlebell swings x15
  • Farmer walks w/ dumbbells (3 laps or roughly 45 seconds - 1min of walking)
  • Sit-ups x15
  • Alternating chin ups and pulls (rotate each day)
  • Walking lunges
  • Walk laps until the timer hits the next 10 min interval
Weekdays & Sundays it’s exactly an hour. Saturday’s, 80 mins. Yoga almost every night about an hour or two from bed time.

Wound up doing a 3 mile hike with some friends that afternoon too. Sunday I was pretty wiped. Did my 60 mins today with no issue though.

I need to do a deep dive into my workout to better maximize the muscles targeted. I’m slowly working in more leg stuff as my knee & hips heal. Always learning.

Raven117

lol I actually feel the same.

Definitely lost fat and put on a little muscle. Now that I know this works I’ll keep doing it and making tweaks in diet and exercise to see if I can lower my numbers more.
Good deal, but I do hope you start to actually FEEL better.
Every other day I do the below routine for 6 sets. When it falls on saturdays I bump up to 8 sets.
  • Shoulder shrugs w/ dumbbells x10
  • Bicep curls w/ dumbbells x10
  • Body weight squats w/ weighted vest x10
  • Push-ups w/ weight vest x10
  • Kettlebell swings x15
  • Farmer walks w/ dumbbells (3 laps or roughly 45 seconds - 1min of walking)
  • Sit-ups x15
  • Alternating chin ups and pulls (rotate each day)
  • Walking lunges
  • Walk laps until the timer hits the next 10 min interval
Weekdays & Sundays it’s exactly an hour. Saturday’s, 80 mins. Yoga almost every night about an hour or two from bed time.

Wound up doing a 3 mile hike with some friends that afternoon too. Sunday I was pretty wiped. Did my 60 mins today with no issue though.

I need to do a deep dive into my workout to better maximize the muscles targeted. I’m slowly working in more leg stuff as my knee & hips heal. Always learning.
That is quite the work out!

How much rest between sets?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Good deal, but I do hope you start to actually FEEL better.

That is quite the work out!

How much rest between sets?
The amount of rest depends how quickly or slowly I move through each exercise. My target is basically 10 mins for rest.

I start the next set on the 10th minute. So at 0:00 1st set
Minute 10:00 second set
Minute 20:00 third set
And so on.
Always at the 10 min increments.

Raven117

The amount of rest depends how quickly or slowly I move through each exercise. My target is basically 10 mins for rest.

I start the next set on the 10th minute. So at 0:00 1st set
Minute 10:00 second set
Minute 20:00 third set
And so on.
Always at the 10 min increments.
So, wait.... say you set 1x10. how long do you wait for the second set? Or is it your goal to get all 8 sets done in 10 minutes?

Methos#1975

Any thoughts on intermittent fasting? I'm on restrictions for a month due to a knee injury and was thinking of trying it while on it for the next few weeks to cut a bit. I'm still hitting the upper body as hard as I can at home but leg work and going to the gym is out of the question for now so seems a good time to try it out.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Any thoughts on intermittent fasting? I'm on restrictions for a month due to a knee injury and was thinking of trying it while on it for the next few weeks to cut a bit. I'm still hitting the upper body as hard as I can at home but leg work and going to the gym is out of the question for now so seems a good time to try it out.
Been doing it for quite some time now and love it. It's not for everyone though. You have to love the feeling of being hungry.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Same as Jimmy--I love it. I use the Zero app to track my times, but it's not necessary, just helpful.

What time windows are you looking at? How many calories are you targeting?
I started with 16 hour fast, 8 hour window but quickly switched to 18:6. Most days it's closer to 20:4 but days like today, I need the extra time to ensure I get enough calories since I will be burning around 1k cals during my workout.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

March 13th last year:

Looks like that kettlebell arrived at the perfect time. My wife was jealous, so we got a 20 lb one and she's going through even more exercises than I am :messenger_fearful:

Deep breathing. Fasting. Kettlebells. Cold training. Shmups. I strive to make Coronalockdown beneficial for my body, mind, and soul.

i'm still deep breathing, fasting, swingin' kettlebells, cold training, and playing shmups. Started off doing swings with a 35lb kettlebell and now I'm swinging the 60 and 80 with ease, though I still need to push the 80 into some of the more advanced forms. And yet, the 35lb still gets regular use, so I consider it a good investment.

Around that time VlaudTheImpaler VlaudTheImpaler recommended gym rings, which I still use every day. Dead hangs are a wonderful backbuilder and reset button. When I started training on rings, I could barely get a support hold for more than a few seconds, and my dead-hang time was abysmal (like 10 seconds, maybe 15). Currently I've progressed my ring skill / str to be able to perform (with clean form and no kipping):

- chin ups and L sit chin-ups
- skin the cats
- pelican curls (w rings at waist height)
- L sits from hanging and from support holds
- Inverted hangs -> slow L-sit concentric

These are all amateur / low-level gym ring moves, but to slowly go from absolutely no competency to some competency is nice to feel.

Rice bucket and nsd spinner are good wrist conditioners and I still use them daily too. This year I'll upgrade to a peastone bucket. Medicine balls / slam balls and the ankle weights were a good investment for various isometrics. I'm still doing a lot of daily stretching and basic floorwork (somersaults, slam falls) to keep my body limber and pummeled.

Punching and kicking conditioning are going well. There's a perfect form that can be attained for even the most basic kicks and jabs, so I am content to work on that while my hands and feet continue toughening. I started these in Sept of last year so I'm only 7 months in. Maybe in Sept 21 I'll do a one year review on the combat sports in particular since I've made a lot of headway there. However I wanna nurture that more before opening my mouth.

Overall, i'm the fittest of my life and built a good foundation to keep making progress over the next year.

Methos#1975

Same as Jimmy--I love it. I use the Zero app to track my times, but it's not necessary, just helpful.

What time windows are you looking at? How many calories are you targeting?
I started with 16 hour fast, 8 hour window but quickly switched to 18:6. Most days it's closer to 20:4 but days like today, I need the extra time to ensure I get enough calories since I will be burning around 1k cals during my workout.
The past few days I've done 20:4 and sticking to around 2500 cals and staying with high protein intake. Supplementing with Leucine to help with protein synthesis.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The past few days I've done 20:4 and sticking to around 2500 cals and staying with high protein intake. Supplementing with Leucine to help with protein synthesis.
Nice. I do about 2200 on light days and roughly 2400-2500 on the more intense days. 4 hours seems to be a good window for that amount of cals. My go-hard days can add up to 3k cals which, for me, is impossible in the 4 hour window.

Seems like you have a good start on it. Give it the month and report back. Would be interested in what your thoughts are on the other side.

Top Bottom