• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT| Pumpin' Iron and Spittin' Blood.

Tesseract

Banned
Anyone got any advice on how to improve your pullups? I can almost do everything else to a level I'm happy with but pullups.. nope.

You'll get 2 out of me. No joke.

Is it the shoulders I need to work on?
a variety of push ups should help, diamonds and such

eccentric loading, starting atop the bar and lowering yourself against gravity

heavy dbells, enough that your stabilizers aren't shaking with isolates

hollow holds, hanging holds, dips and rows

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jesus bro. Nice work. :lollipop_fire:
Very cool. Amazing difference in 12 months what kinda diet are you on?
Thanks so much!!

i’m 185 cm, I was 85kg, no muscles just ”small fat” or w/e it’s called. I went deff-mode for 5 straight months, 1750 kcals, 25g fat every day, low carb, almost no sugar and full protein. I went from 85kg to 68kg.

from there, I started bulking. 3000 kcal per day now. 80g fat, <20g sugar, 400 carbs, 180g protein. I was 68kg all bones and muscles and now I’m 75kg. I want to go back to where I was originally (85kg) but with the right macros, none of that saturated fat junk.

here’s me at 65kg when I was just about to start the bulk trip:

foto kartka

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Very inspiring I've been at it 2 years. I have to say I haven't gotten much help with it. Picking things up as I go. I'm quite private about it. And now I'm doing it all from home.

I am very short about 5 4 so sometimes I wonder... Do I need to bulk or not.

Even when I was very thin I always had a small belly. I bulk up and it remains. Part of me is like FUCK it to big but another part is like. No no your muscles will look more defined if you slim down with a high protein diet.

I have decent arms for my size and a decent chest.

Nothing compared to that post above mind you haha

The part I find very challenging is the eating side of things. For my weight about 70KG Id need about 150 grams of protein. Good lord even with the protein shakes it's very hard.

I also fail by having a takeaway once a week :)

I am getting better though.

Balboa

Anyone got any advice on how to improve your pullups? I can almost do everything else to a level I'm happy with but pullups.. nope.

You'll get 2 out of me. No joke.

Is it the shoulders I need to work on?
You can do assisted pull ups by resting one of your legs on a chair or bench placed a few feet in front of you to displace some of your bodyweight, do this to complete the set and you should see in an increase in unassisted pull ups over time.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
The part I find very challenging is the eating side of things. For my weight about 70KG Id need about 150 grams of protein. Good lord even with the protein shakes it's very hard.
I eat 165+ grams of protein a day. I'm always surprised when people say it's hard. Just cook batches of chicken breast, eat 200-250g of that for lunch and dinner, 3 eggs with breakfast, 1 plain protein shake (just water and protein powder). That's all it takes.

quickwhips

I dont mean to laugh. Sorry you didnt get the job bro. Apply somewhere else. Fuck em

The question is funny tho
It's all good. I like my job. I lead a team of 40 amazing people. They all know how to execute and get after it. I hired most of them. So I'm not leaving. This would of just been my old bosses job. I just let ego make me think I had it when I didn't. Get after it boys! Don't let set backs stop you or slow you down!

Eh, I'm back after years ....

COVID has sort of forced me to work out at home so I bought a Amazon Basic bench and dumbell set, so the max I can lift for each dumbell is 19 pounds, which is enough for now.

Also dramatically reduced my meat intake, so I basically only eat it once a day for dinner, the rest of the day is protein powders or beans, nuts etc.

Anyway, I'm 6'2 191 pounds and after a couple months I'm putting on some muscle and gaining definition but the weight hasn't moved an inch in awhile, probably because i'm not doing any walks now because it's so cold out.

Main goal is to just thin out and lower my cholesterol, which is borderline high (200, LDL was like 142 in October). Doc has been on my ass about that as I'm 41.

COVID has sort of forced me to work out at home so I bought a Amazon Basic bench and dumbell set, so the max I can lift for each dumbell is 19 pounds, which is enough for now.

Also dramatically reduced my meat intake, so I basically only eat it once a day for dinner, the rest of the day is protein powders or beans, nuts etc.

Anyway, I'm 6'2 191 pounds and after a couple months I'm putting on some muscle and gaining definition but the weight hasn't moved an inch in awhile, probably because i'm not doing any walks now because it's so cold out.

Main goal is to just thin out and lower my cholesterol, which is borderline high (200, LDL was like 142 in October). Doc has been on my ass about that as I'm 41.
Hey at least you're back at it, and your weight ain't bad for your height and your age. I am 6'1 and was over 300 pounds. Getting below 200 was a major milestone for me.

Hey at least you're back at it, and your weight ain't bad for your height and your age. I am 6'1 and was over 300 pounds. Getting below 200 was a major milestone for me.
Dropping over 100 pounds is amazing. Congrats!

I guess the benefit of working out at home is I can load up some youtube videos on my TV right in front of me and follow along, it's like a free personal trainer.

Dropping over 100 pounds is amazing. Congrats!

I guess the benefit of working out at home is I can load up some youtube videos on my TV right in front of me and follow along, it's like a free personal trainer.
Thank you. Yep, I went the same route. I binged on books and yt videos for months to learn all I could, using video guides for things I didn't understand, then I put them into practice, learned more, tweaked, and so forth.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Welcome home, brother.

Jasonadream

Practice hanging on the bar to adjust to the grip and positioning.

Drilling in negative sets (where your come down from the top of a repetition)
can also help build some of muscle groups that you need to recruit for more reps

Chin up variations help build up the pull ups, it takes time but make it a habit and you’ll be complaining about how you can only do 20 pull ups down the road.

Raven117

Figure I would check in as well.

I'm back in the gym after a 6 months hiatus. I'm much more of an endurance athlete and love running, but lifting is exceedingly important for overall health, burn fat, and increase overall athleticism.

I admit that it does feel good to be back.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
After break back In the game

callisthenics and resistance bands one day then cardio/walking the dog the other

did
3 * 12 bicep curls on the resistance bands 70lbs
3 * 5 walk-out press up burpees
3 * 20 crunches
3 * 20 Russian twists
3 * 20 thrusters with 20lbs resistance bands
3 * 20 Glute bridges.

over time I will increase the reps and or resistance band amount.

legs are sore from thrusters/glute bridges and walkout push up burpees

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Last week of CrossFit I guess, classes start next week so I don't know if I'll be able to continue, I'll probably have to teach some classes at 7am so....let's wait and see.

I've almost hit my weight goal. I weighed 79.2 this morning and I'm confident I'll hit 80 over the weekend. Going to a regular gym could be an option due to its flexibility. I'm starting to think about some workout plans but I don't know if I should go for a full-body one of something like A/B or even A/B/C split.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I see lots of music posted in here, so what do y'all use for headphones during workouts?

I have a very cheap pair of ear buds that are, not surprisingly, falling apart. Also they're always falling out of my ears.

Usually my AirPods. I’ve got an old set of Klipsch speakers setup in my basement gym that I use more frequently tho.
alternately, I will sometimes use this cheap pair of IEMs called KZ ZS10 Pro.

SpiceRacz

ZippyTheOtter ZippyTheOtter

Solid quality and decent sound for around $30. Fit comfortably and include different sized earbud tips. Never have to worry about them falling out during workouts.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Had an assessment done yesterday, I gained 6 kilos or 13 pounds for you. Half of that fat, half lean mass. It's ok I guess? When I started I was counting my macros but then I gave up, I also stopped having whey because I was feeling bloated after drinking it. I'll try to put on 2 more kilos and then I'll cut.

Raven117

Last week of CrossFit I guess, classes start next week so I don't know if I'll be able to continue, I'll probably have to teach some classes at 7am so....let's wait and see.

I've almost hit my weight goal. I weighed 79.2 this morning and I'm confident I'll hit 80 over the weekend. Going to a regular gym could be an option due to its flexibility. I'm starting to think about some workout plans but I don't know if I should go for a full-body one of something like A/B or even A/B/C split.
I’ve struggled with this a lot. I think it depends on how old you are and how busy. For me, I know I can’t 100 💯 commit to a b c, so I try and do full body workouts when I do get in there. I’m also no spring chicken so the days of impressing the women at pool parties is long gone. Guess just pinpoint your goals and come up with a plan that works.

mcjmetroid

Figure I would check in as well.

I'm back in the gym after a 6 months hiatus. I'm much more of an endurance athlete and love running, but lifting is exceedingly important for overall health, burn fat, and increase overall athleticism.

I admit that it does feel good to be back.
I'm the complete opposite. Love lifting... Haaate cardio like running etc.
I guess that's because I'm bad at it and therefore I should do it more. Vicious circle.

I do my best to incorporate some cardio into my home workout but ya it's tough going.

mcjmetroid

Jump rope, my man. Great for improving your hip balance too.
Yaaa I think this will work. It's probably the only cardio I enjoy.

Ya so basically where I'm at anyway I took your advice on the pull up situation and I'm getting there.

I'm tying my best to sort out my diet.
I did a calorie count and ya.. it's too high.
I actually way more than enough protein lol. But some things need to go.

I'm on the process of reducing some of it finding replacements without killing myself with hunger.

I spent about a year tying to bulk myself up. And I did.
Now I gotta lose those love handles 😖😤

Yaaa I think this will work. It's probably the only cardio I enjoy.
Remember, it's exceptional conditioning for your legs, too. Not to brag but my gams are built like a greek statue's. A gym bro told me most of a man's metabolism/testosterone stimulation comes from the legs, so there's that. Lastly, injured joints are 🙅‍♀️ unacceptable 🙅‍♀️ , so anything that builds up ankle strength is good in my book. Jumprope builds up the ankles, especially your balance.

Ya so basically where I'm at anyway I took your advice on the pull up situation and I'm getting there.

I'm tying my best to sort out my diet.
I did a calorie count and ya.. it's too high.
I actually way more than enough protein lol. But some things need to go.

I'm on the process of reducing some of it finding replacements without killing myself with hunger.

I spent about a year tying to bulk myself up. And I did.
Now I gotta lose those love handles 😖😤
You got this. Keep thinking out loud by posting your stuff in this thread. It has been a great help to my own motivation to see what everyone is doing, yourself included. The consistency is the hard part. Once that's established, you begin the fun part of experimenting in the lab and seeing what works and what doesn't.

If you wanna kill hunger tho...

Last edited:

Raven117

I'm the complete opposite. Love lifting... Haaate cardio like running etc.
I guess that's because I'm bad at it and therefore I should do it more. Vicious circle.

I do my best to incorporate some cardio into my home workout but ya it's tough going.
We are basically mirrors. I recognize the importance of lifting, but gawd it’s much harder to get me in a gym than on a trail.

Last edited:
Top Bottom