• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the play opening officially on Saturday at the Palace Theatre and the script book releasing on Sunday, the first reviews of the play are starting to appear online.

The reaction seems overwhelmingly positive so far. The play, written by Jack Thorne, is set 19 years after the seventh and final book in the series by JK Rowling.

hp-large_trans++5yQLQqeH37t50SCyM4-zeEbgHFEZVI1Pljic_pW9c90.jpg

The Telegraph
I’ll admit it: I went into the Palace Theatre a sceptic – doubting that self-confessed “Potter-head” playwright Jack Thorne (working alongside Rowling) would have the magic touch to bring the story back to life, and pretty much convinced that whatever tricks director John Tiffany and illusionist Jamie Harrison had up their sleeves, it would be no match for the films’ amazing CGI effects.

Well, those involved can give themselves a pat on the back. It’s a triumph. Not an unqualified one – there are some quibbles – but in all key respects, it grips, it stirs, it delights.

Vatiety
It is, quite simply, spellbinding: The Show That Lived Up to Expectations — and Then Some. Three years after J. K. Rowling announced her boy wizard would hit the stage, “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” — no mere rehash, but a whole new chapter — proves a proper theatrical blockbuster. Not just at the box office, but onstage as well: a captivating story given a spectacular staging and — Rowling’s specialty — a big, big heart. Twenty years ago, Harry Potter turned a generation onto reading. “The Cursed Child” could do the same for theater.

The Guardian
Keep the Secrets” is the injunction on badges handed out as we leave the theatre. It’s a motto that makes life hard for us hacks, but I am happy to divulge that John Tiffany, as director of this pair of two-and-a-half-hour plays, has masterminded a thrilling theatrical spectacle.

The Stage
I saw both parts of the play in a single day – more than five hours of theatre – and the audience was one of the most attentive I have ever been in. The house was virtually full 10 minutes before curtain up and the sense of eagerness and expectation was palpable. At the end of each and every act, the audience roared their approval. But this is far more than just a show for the fans – it’s a truly game-changing production and a thrilling theatrical endeavour in its own right.

The Independent
Would Harry Potter and the Cursed Child work on paper? I’m not sure. It’s quite apparent this isn’t written to be either a book or a tie-in film; it’s a spectacle for the theatre, one that is filled to the brim with fan service and magical imagery that will amaze. For any Potterhead who can get their hands on a ticket, it will no doubt be a fantastic experience; for those not already enamoured by Rowling’s wizarding, The Cursed Child is still captivating, if not a slightly long ride.

Entertainment Weekly
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child has pulled off a transfiguration challenge worthy of Professor McGonagall: Converting the visually arresting world of Harry Potter into stage play. Currently in previews and officially opening July 30 in London’s West End, Cursed Child goes far beyond dutiful brand extension with an entirely original and hugely ambitious sequel to the Potter books, presented in two parts and nearly five hours long. Author J.K. Rowling, working with London theatre veterans Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, have delivered a production that’s as spectacular as it is ambitious, stuffed with special effects and twists that had a preview audience gasping, Cursed Child is a story that doesn’t play it safe with the Potter canon and will change how fans see certain favorite characters forever.

I really want to go now.

Was that leaked storyline ever confirmed to be legit? I'm glad to hear it works on the stage, because reading it made it seem like an utter disaster.

Was that leaked storyline ever confirmed to be legit? I'm glad to hear it works on the stage, because reading it made it seem like an utter disaster.

It sounds like it was legitimate from the minor plot details discussed in the reviews.As you say, it must work better on stage than on paper.

munchie64

Oh look people who've actually seen it. I wonder if I should make assumptions of quality from them or people who've read a plot synopsis online.

MrHoot

Huh...better than expected ? Looking at the leakedp lot it seemed like fanservicey wank but maybe the performance elevates it (or that plot wasn't legit or an early draft ?)

In any case, a bit sad I won't be able to see it myself to form an actual coherent opinion but at least it's good news for the people involved

Deft Beck

I am glad it turned out good, but watch it become another high profile, inaccessible theater production for most of the audience interested in the material without thousands of dollars for a ticket.

BokehKing

Banned
Oh look people who've actually seen it. I wonder if I should make assumptions of quality from them or people who've read a plot synopsis online.
Idk, plot snyopsis is still worrying to me, the mere fact that those
plot devices
are even present in the story makes me roll my eyes. No amount of great acting can over come questionable decisions like what was read a few months.

I'll watch it on Blu ray one day though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So is this like the End of Evangelion for Harry Potter? HP jerking his wand all over a knocked out Hermione is going to be something to see on stage.

munchie64

Idk, plot snyopsis is still worrying to me, the mere fact that those
plot devices
are even present in the story makes me roll my eyes. No amount of great acting can over come questionable decisions like what was read a few months.

I'll watch it on Blu ray one day though.
Fair enough, I make no judgments about anyone who would hate the sound of the plot points presented but I just thought people were too open and shut about the whole thing.
So is this like the End of Evangelion for Harry Potter? HP jerking his wand all over a knocked out Hermione is going to be something to see on stage.
I wish that I could turn back time...

milanbaros

Member?
I wonder if WB intend to make this into films after the Fantastic Beasts trilogy? They could use the original cast, which would be great for nostalgia. The Harry Potter actor is almost exactly 10 years older than DR, so it could work.

So, HP movie universe:

FB1 - 2016
FB2 - 2018
FB3 - 2020

HP&tCC1: 2022
HP&tCC2: 2023/4

Maedhros

It's probably going to theaters one day... but for now, they'll enjoy the cash it makes.

Maybe Rowling will even flesh out the story and release a true eight book too...

Tankman

I wonder if WB intend to make this into films after the Fantastic Beasts trilogy? They could use the original cast, which would be great for nostalgia. The Harry Potter actor is almost exactly 10 years older than DR, so it could work.

So, HP movie universe:

FB1 - 2016
FB2 - 2018
FB3 - 2020

HP&tCC1: 2022
HP&tCC2: 2023/4

Please no. Can we just have My Immortal instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom