• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First official Harry Potter and The Cursed Child pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuuKyK

They look great. Wish I could watch this live. :(

Behind the scenes video of the photoshoot.

Harry, Albus and Ginny

HP_19932_Potter_FL.jpg

HP_19753_Harry_FL.jpg

HP_19966_Ginny_FL.jpg

HP_19889_Albus_FL.jpg

The actors playing Ginny and Albus Potter are confirmed, as the production of Cursed Child unveils a new series of character portraits showing the actors in costume. While J.K. Rowling says Jamie Parker ‘simply is Harry now.’

We’re just a week away from the first preview of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts One and Two and today we are thrilled to share character portraits of Harry, Ginny and Albus Severus Potter, as they will appear in the play.

When asked about actor Jamie Parker’s transformation, J.K. Rowling said: ‘He simply is Harry now. There's a kind of relief in watching him, he gets it so right.’

With Jamie is Sam Clemmett as Albus Severus Potter, and Poppy Miller as Ginny Potter.

Poppy has previously appeared on stage in productions of Macbeth and Twelfth Night, while her film and TV work has included roles in Line of Duty, Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll and The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

While Sam has appeared in productions of Lord of the Flies, and Wendy and Peter Pan for the Royal Shakespeare Company and you may also have spotted him on your TV screens in The Musketeers and Foyle’s War.

As well as confirming more of the Cursed Child cast, these wonderful photos give us so much to be excited about: this is the first time we’ve caught a glimpse of Jamie with Harry’s legendary scar; the first time we’ve seen Harry, Ginny and Albus together and the first time we’ve seen Katrina Lindsay’s costume designs and hair and make-up designs by Carole Hancock.

It might seem almost strange to see Harry Potter without his trusty Hogwarts robes, but Jamie took us through Harry’s more grown-up attire.

‘He’s wearing a suit because he’s a Ministry man, but he’s not just a bloke in a suit, that’s way too anonymous,’ Jamie explained. ‘And it sounds strange but we talked around a lot of different suits, because there are suits and suits, and a lot of them we put on and we went “Mmm it’s just not right”.

‘With all the character’s costumes we want them to be instantly familiar when people see them, so that people feel like the story’s safe in our hands, and that we’re taking that responsibility seriously.’

Speaking of instantly familiar, how did Jamie feel donning the world-famous scar and glasses?

‘They’re just iconic. These are stories that people have lived with for their whole lives, they’ve grown up with and now they’re adults re-joining the tale, picking it up where they left off and I’m one of them. In a sense you don’t need more than the scar and the glasses, you kind of go, “there it is” and I don’t really know how to put it into words, it’s just immeasurably exciting and I can’t wait to show it to people.’

‘It’s a unique gig in the sense that you have seven volumes of backstory that you get to bring on with you. And we were all very keen to make sure that the first time you see Harry it just feels right.’

Poppy Miller was thrilled with her new look as Ginny Potter (née Weasley). ‘So far I’ve had a fabulous haircut and, as this is Ginny’s hair, it’s obviously red and quite sleek,’ Poppy explained. ‘I also get to wear a gorgeous, hand-knitted jumper. I think of it as a really tasteful Pygmy Puff.’

J.K. Rowling was just as happy to see Poppy in character. She said: ‘I think a lot of people would like to have Poppy's Ginny for a mother. Kind and cool, exactly as I imagined her.’

Hogwarts robes at last. Sam Clemmett told us he was sure Albus’s robes were hand-me-downs from his character’s elder brother.

‘This is what Albus wears at the start of the show,’ he said. ‘I had the idea he was wearing James’s – his older brother’s – hand-me-downs. So I wanted him to feel quite uncomfortable, and be able to play with his clothes.’

Ever conscious of keeping the secrets, J.K. Rowling said: ’There's much I could say about Sam-as-Albus, but we'd be into spoiler territory so quickly I'll just say we couldn't have cast better.’

Well, this is all rather exciting. And, as Poppy shares, the production of Cursed Child continues to deliver amazing surprises for the cast too.

‘We are very excited about sharing the play with everyone who is coming,’ Poppy said. ‘All of us are seeing things every day, what other people are doing for the first time on stage, that’s making us squeal with excitement. So, bring it on!’

We couldn’t agree more.

https://www.pottermore.com/news/cursed-child-first-look-at-potters-in-character

Ron, Hermione and Rose

HP_20558_Weasley_Granger_FL.jpg

HP_20751_Rose_FL.jpg

HP_20671_Hermione_FL.jpg

HP_20410_Ron_FL.jpg

A first look at Ron, Hermione and Rose Granger-Weasley as they will appear in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts One and Two. Noma Dumezweni ‘gets Hermione inside out,’ according to J.K. Rowling.

Yesterday, we got a sneak peek at Harry, Ginny and Albus Potter in full Cursed Child costume and make-up. Now, let’s meet the Granger-Weasleys.

Here we see Harry’s two best friends Ron Weasley (Paul Thornley) and Hermione Granger (Noma Dumezweni) in full costume with their daughter Rose Granger-Weasley, who will be played by actress Cherrelle Skeete.

‘It’s 19 years later when the play begins,’ Paul explained. ‘Ron is married to Hermione Granger and they’re now the Granger-Weasleys. Our magnificent daughter Rose Granger-Weasley is about to start at Hogwarts, which is obviously a big day for everyone.’

A very big day indeed, and a very big job for Cherrelle Skeete, shown here in Rose’s brand new Hogwarts uniform. Cherrelle has previously appeared in productions of The Lion King and Wind in the Willows, as well as television series Call the Midwife and Danny and the Human Zoo – which coincidentally, starred Harry Potter actors Evanna Lynch, and James and Oliver Phelps.

‘I can’t think about how big it is or I’ll just faint,’ Cherrelle said. ‘Putting on my uniform, ready to go to Hogwarts, and seeing everyone else in their uniform was exciting. I’ve been looking at it every day in the wardrobe department, waiting for the day I can get on the Hogwarts Express.’

Cherrelle also teased that Rose will embody just a little bit of her mother – what a surprise. She said: ‘Rose is ambitious, obviously her mum is Hermione so she’s got a lot to live up to. I think they’re quite similar in the fact they put a lot of pressure on themselves. And she just wants to do the right thing.’

J.K. Rowling agreed that Rose takes after Hermione: ‘Rose is like her mother, but more secure, more grounded. She was born to wizards and knows her place in the world. Cherrelle plays her perfectly: bossy but deeply loveable.’

And speaking of Hermione, J.K. Rowling said: 'I saw Noma workshop the part and when John Tiffany told me he'd cast her, I was overjoyed. She gets Hermione inside out.’

Olivier Award-winner Noma was understandably thrilled with her makeover. She looks formidable in deep blue and brandishing Hermione’s wand.

‘Being in full costume for the first time was stunning, because I went, “Ahhh there you are”,’ she reminisced fondly.

According to J.K. Rowling, Ron is still very much the Weasley we remember. She said: ‘Ron in his forties isn't very different from Ron in his teens, except that his feet hurt a bit more. Paul's so funny and brilliant in the role.’

And after years of complaining about his mother’s jumpers, it looks like Ron Weasley has finally warmed to them, if his costume is anything to go by.

‘We had to make it look as though he doesn’t really care what he wears in the morning,’ Paul Thornley said.

‘We wanted to find a jumper, that is definitely his favourite jumper, and that I think gets washed occasionally. He wants to essentially be comfortable at all times, hence comfortable cords, comfortable jumper, comfortable shoes. I don’t believe he’s a man who spends an awful lot of time shopping.’

With the three of them absolutely looking the part, the actors are now focused on the technical rehearsals but obviously remain tight-lipped on what is to come.

‘The technical rehearsal is where you put all the components together,’ Paul said. ‘All the lights, the sound, the magic – which I’m not going to tell you about – the illusions – which I’m not going to tell you about – and the costumes, and for us to find our places on the stage. We also try to all fit backstage and get the various scenery on and off without bumping into each other, which is sometimes successful.’

‘It’s just a real joy to watch everyone else’s work and to see all the elements of the show coming together, especially coming into the theatre.’ Cherrelle added. ‘It’s amazing to sit in the stalls and watch and it’s a blessing to know that I’m a part of this team.’

Noma added: ‘Every time I’m in the auditorium I turn around to people or say to myself, “I’m in that show, I’m in that show.” I want to see it so much. I am so proud that I am in it.’

https://www.pottermore.com/news/cursed-child-first-look-at-weasleys-in-character

Draco and Scorpius

HP_20196_Malfoy_FL-2.jpeg

HP_20274_Draco_FL.jpg

HP_20100_Scorpius_FL.jpg

Alex Price and Anthony Boyle will play Draco and Scorpius Malfoy in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts One and Two, and J.K. Rowling teases that Scorpius will ‘do nothing to turn girls off the Malfoy men.’

We’re only days away from the first preview of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts One and Two and we now know who will be playing Draco and Scorpius Malfoy – and what their characters look like in costume.

Here we see Malfoy father and son: Alex Price as Harry’s former school nemesis Draco Malfoy, and Anthony Boyle in the role of his son, Scorpius.

Alex Price is no stranger to otherworldly television dramas, having previously appeared in television dramas Merlin, Penny Dreadful and Doctor Who. He is also a prominent force in the theatre, with credits including 3 Winters, Birdland and Before the Party.

Belfast-based actor Anthony Boyle was trained at the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama, and has appeared in productions including Herons and East Belfast Boy, the latter of which he co-wrote.

As Scorpius Malfoy, Anthony looks the spitting image of his stage dad. J.K. Rowling said: ‘I love Draco and Scorpius – they actually look related!’

The transformation also presented another challenge for Anthony – going blond.

‘It was such a game changer,’ Anthony said of his new look. ‘As soon as I saw it, it was like, “Okay, I’m playing Scorpius Malfoy – this is real now.” That was such a big moment.’

Just like Albus Severus Potter and Rose Granger-Weasley, Scorpius will wear the Hogwarts uniform during Cursed Child, with a typical Malfoy twist.

‘He’s wearing the official Hogwarts uniform before you go and get sorted into your house. He’s a Malfoy so his clothes should be really expensive but quite constraining to make him feel a bit awkward.’

J.K. Rowling also teased that Scorpius might be a hit with the ladies. She said: ‘I've got a feeling Scorpius is going to do nothing to turn girls off the Malfoy men.’

When asked how he worked on making Draco’s character his own, Alex Price said the script gave him everything he needed.

‘Jack Thorne’s script. Start right there,’ Alex said. ‘And there’s obviously a massive history of books to draw on. You could tie yourself in knots worrying about it. But our first job is to serve this play and J.K. Rowling’s characters as best we can.'

The actor also touched on the pressure behind being part of such a huge production.

‘The world outside has been brilliantly marshalled and been kept away from us by our producers. It’s only slowly starting to rear its head now and it’s intimidating, a little scary, but also very exciting because Jack is such a brilliant writer and he’s taken the story into a great place 19 years later, particularly for Draco.’

‘You can just feel the excitement in the building,’ Anthony added. ‘We’ve been in the Palace Theatre for over four weeks now which is where we can do all the things you couldn’t do in the rehearsal room. We just can’t wait to show it to everyone.’

We can’t wait to find out what Draco and Scorpius Malfoy do next.

https://www.pottermore.com/news/cursed-child-first-look-at-malfoys-in-character

Harusame

I think I'm going to turn a blind eye to the casting and pretend I saw nothing...I'm kinda speechless right now

Althane

I think my biggest issue is that Ron isn't a ginger... and looks like a creepy pedo.

o_o;;

Otherwise, eh.. I'm not sure I like the looks. It's just... I dunno, I'm used to the Potter crew as young kids, and this is making me feel... old, I guess. :(

LuuKyK

Deep within me, I hope for people to be over such nonsense... but I fear that I overstimate people.

It has already happened right?

Yes and Rowling already responded to that:

J.K. Rowling ✔‎@jk_rowling
Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione

Griss

Interesting casting. Ginny and Ron look great, Harry... less what I was expecting.

As for the obvious Hermione issue, I have two somewhat related but different thoughts:

a) Good on them for giving the part to whoever they thought suited, and I doubt her race will matter in this particular story,

BUT

b) I feel like having Hermione as black in the original trilogy would have been a mistake as it would have made the abuse she gets as a 'mudblood' impossible to separate from anti-black racism, which would have muddied the classism theme that Rowling was going for, imo. Ron and his family, on the other hand - they could have been any race you liked and it wouldn't have made a whit of difference. I'm sure some will disagree.

Also... don't they all look a bit old? They should only be about, what... mid to late 30s?

Harusame

but just enough to show your racism and get the discussion moving towards your comment.

If that is the direction of the discussion, than I have no issue. I initially was surprised by the casting and indeed casted doubt, however I don't think I will have any further remarks until I view the movies. After that, then will I make consolidate my thoughts on the matter.

Harry looks so awkward, I love it. Also, I'm surprised they didn't cast a mixed-race girld for Rose?

Also... don't they all look a bit old? They should only be about, what... mid to late 30s?

They're battling evil since they're kids. You would look old too if you did the same.

Dirca

Man, that shit took a lot out of harry.

Asylum Presents..version.. ya
Didn't Harry become an Auror? I kind of assumed he'd look worn out and tired.

I'd like to have heard the casting on Hermione... A: "So, an older looking Emma Watson?" B: "No no no....I'm thinking 90's era, "Sister Act" Whoopi Goldberg." A:"..................................................HOLY SHIT THAT'S GENIUS!!!!!!!"

It's cool that black Hermione is a thing. Definitely surprised me. Does that mean the movies aren't canon though?... or the book covers lol?

Daedardus

I mean, it's still a bit surprising. I'm sitting with this idea of Emma Watson in my head and whenever they change actors it can always come across as feeling different. Not that it really bothers me. If they believe her to be a good actress than I will take that as an answer and I guess it's great that it means more exposure to black people. It's weird only because it feels like it is retconned in, if Hermione was cast as a black actress in the movies it would have never occured to me as a surprise.

To just blame it on racism isn't fair to me, honestly. I'm sure there are many people who will take issue with it solely based on racism so in that way you are right to call people out. But I still was surprised for two seconds even though I'm a pretty anti-racist guy who is really tolerant and who tries to create chances for different colored people in the real world. I think we call people out too easily on the internet when it's not always relevant to the discussion ("I don't like this actress", "It is because she's black and you're racist") compared to when black people get denied service or when people hold prejudices against them and harass them, that's where you step in and help them. Call me out racist if you like, and maybe there's a truth in that. But ultimately it's just going to make me feel bad because you're implying I'm some kind of bigot who doesn't care about other people and I think that's simply not true.

Galang

Banned
New hermoine is pretty. I love Emma Watson, but part of me wishes they actually had cast a black actor for the original part. The diversity in the series was severely lacking even as far as background characters go

Harry looks like a PTSD afflicted drug addict that abuses his family emotionally and cheats on Ginny.

OK now go

You just know he's gonna have PTSD.

It's cool that black Hermione is a thing. Definitely surprised me. Does that mean the movies aren't canon though?... or the book covers lol?

People have tried to use that to say that Rowlings actually IS racist, so therefore they should not have cast that actor.

People go through some impressing mental gymnastics to try to prove that their favorite creator has the same prejudices as they do.

Somnia

If that is the direction of the discussion, than I have no issue. I initially was surprised by the casting and indeed casted doubt, however I don't think I will have any further remarks until I view the movies. After that, then will I make consolidate my thoughts on the matter.

It's not a movie, they didn't re-cast anyone, it's a play in England.

I mean, it's still a bit surprising. I'm sitting with this idea of Emma Watson in my head and whenever they change actors it can always come across as feeling different. Not that it really bothers me. If they believe her to be a good actress than I will take that as an answer and I guess it's great that it means more exposure to black people. It's weird only because it feels like it is retconned in, if Hermione was cast as a black actress in the movies it would have never occured to me as a surprise.

To just blame it on racism isn't fair to me, honestly. I'm sure there are many people who will take issue with it solely based on racism so in that way you are right to call people out. But I still was surprised for two seconds even though I'm a pretty anti-racist guy who is really tolerant and who tries to create chances for different colored people in the real world. I think we call people out too easily on the internet when it's not always relevant to the discussion ("I don't like this actress", "It is because she's black and you're racist") compared to when black people get denied service or when people hold prejudices against them and harass them, that's where you step in and help them. Call me out racist if you like, and maybe there's a truth in that. But ultimately it's just going to make me feel bad because you're implying I'm some kind of bigot who doesn't care about other people and I think that's simply not true.

IIRC, she was black in the books. And nobody is angry that people are surprised that the character is black. They are angry that when explained, the people start getting all uppity at the purity of the movies being lost.

It's even more clear when that's the only issue they take with the movies and books being different and not the other things changed (presumably, I have only watched the movies).

So basically, you have nothing to be fearful of if you are slightly taken aback but are whatever with it at the end of the day.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
IIRC, she was black in the books. And nobody is angry that people are surprised that the character is black. They are angry that when explained, the people start getting all uppity at the purity of the movies being lost.

It's even more clear when that's the only issue they take with the movies and books being different and not the other things changed (presumably, I have only watched the movies).

So basically, you have nothing to be fearful of if you are slightly taken aback but are whatever with it at the end of the day.

Her race was never stated in the books, but other than Ron and the rest of the Weasley's being the most ginger people on Earth, no one's race was ever stated, except for when they weren't white. I have no doubt that JK wrote Hermione as white (she's shown as white on several covers of the book), but in the end, it doesn't matter. This is a play. This play will be done all over the world and they'll all be cast as various races at some point. Cast the best person for the job, regardless of race. I like the look of this actress as Hermione and, since I'll likely never make it to London, hope they put a performance on video at some point.

Regiruler

She was white on the covers, no? In the chapter art as well I believe. It's hard to remember because characters other than harry never appeared on them with any sort of frequency.

Visual accuracy in plays is kinda thrown out the window so it's not a huge deal.

Bessy67

She was most definitely white in the books. She is pictured on multiple book covers.

Her race was never stated in the books, but other than Ron and the rest of the Weasley's being the most ginger people on Earth, no one's race was ever stated, except for when they weren't white. I have no doubt that JK wrote Hermione as white (she's shown as white on several covers of the book), but in the end, it doesn't matter. This is a play. This play will be done all over the world and they'll all be cast as various races at some point. Cast the best person for the job, regardless of race. I like the look of this actress as Hermione and, since I'll likely never make it to London, hope they put a performance on video at some point.

Books stated she had bushy brown hair.

She was white in the books.

Her being Black in the play is fine. I hope the actress successfully brings the character to life.

What? I haven't read the books in forever but I'm pretty sure the only description Hermione gets is having big front teeth and shaggy hair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom