• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientist names wasp after Harry Potter villain

koji kabuto

(CNN)A biologist in New Zealand wants to clean up the image of wasps -- by naming one after Lucius Malfoy, one of Harry Potter's arch-enemies in the fantasy fiction series.

Lusius malfoyi, the newly discovered species of non-stinging wasp, is one of an estimated 3,000 of the insects found in New Zealand.
Tom Saunders, a researcher from the University of Auckland, who read his first Harry Potter book at age 10, was inspired to name it after one of the chief villains in the series.

"People see wasps as villains, as the 'bad guys.' But the truth is that the vast majority of wasp species are either neutral or beneficial, from a human standpoint. Just as Lucius Malfoy is pardoned after separating from Voldemort's allies, I'm asking people to pardon wasps in order to restore their reputation as interesting, important creatures," he told CNN.

Lucius, the father of Draco Malfoy, is depicted by J.K. Rowling as an evil figure, responsible for opening the Chamber of Secrets holding the deadly Basilisk captive in the second book in the series.
He goes on to become one of the evil Lord Voldemort's chief acolytes, after actively trying to remove Albus Dumbledore from his post as the headmaster of Hogwarts school. But in the final installment, Malfoy redeems himself by defecting from Voldemort's Army in order to save his own family, and is pardoned for his crimes.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/10/a...p-lusius-malfoyi-lucius-malfoy0925AMStoryLink

Jigorath

Banned
Lucius Malfoy never redeemed himself. I guess he ran away from the Battle of Hogwarts, but that's just him being a coward. I'm actually not sure why he was pardoned at all. I mean you can forgive Draco and his mom because they each kinda saved Harry in Deathly Hallows but what did Lucius do?

Edzi

What a terrible name, Lucius wasn't really redeemed in the book unless running away to save his (and his family's I guess) hide counts as redemption.

Then again, maybe Rowling retconned in some reason as to why he's a good guy in some throwaway article on her blog or something, since she apparently likes doing that.

Chuckie

I never pardoned Lucius, I will never pardon wasps.

So I guess it is a great name. Irredeemable, evil, untrustworthy.

If they were going for the whole "not a bad dude, just caught up in bad shit" angle, Lucius is a strange choice.

Still, at least they didn't pick Snape. The also wrong choice that people still like.

Staf

giphy.gif

Dehnus

Wow loads of wasp hating people in here. You guys it is a non stinging variant right? Also: Atop bugging wasps and bees 🐝. Then they'll stop bugging you.

Korigama

Wow loads of wasp hating people in here. You guys it is a non stinging variant right? Also: Atop bugging wasps and bees ��. Then they'll stop bugging you.
Bees are bros, wasps are not, etc. Non-stinging would put these ones in the neutral category the article claims, at least (still don't know why the biologist thought naming it after a villain who only had a change of heart because he was affected personally was a great idea, though).

Danielsan

Wow loads of wasp hating people in here. You guys it is a non stinging variant right? Also: Atop bugging wasps and bees ��. Then they'll stop bugging you.
Wasps are assholes. I would have zero issues with them if they didn't find it necessary to fly around my face, land on me and deliberately follow me around. I can't just wave them away either because then they'll get aggressive, so instead I just have to stand still like a moron in the hopes that they find someone else to bug.

sfedai0

Banned
Wow loads of wasp hating people in here. You guys it is a non stinging variant right? Also: Atop bugging wasps and bees 🐝. Then they'll stop bugging you.

No sane person "bothers" wasps and bees. Wasps are known to be highly aggressive. If a hive is near me I kill it as soon as I can.

What a terrible name, Lucius wasn't really redeemed in the book unless running away to save his (and his family's I guess) hide counts as redemption.

Then again, maybe Rowling retconned in some reason as to why he's a good guy in some throwaway article on her blog or something, since she apparently likes doing that.

That was savage, lol. True though.

Lucius Malfoy never redeemed himself. I guess he ran away from the Battle of Hogwarts, but that's just him being a coward. I'm actually not sure why he was pardoned at all. I mean you can forgive Draco and his mom because they each kinda saved Harry in Deathly Hallows but what did Lucius do?
What did Lucius do the first time Voldemort was defeated? He was a Death Eater back then too.

This person is apparently unaware that it was Narcissa Malfoy, not Lucius, who makes the pivotal choice to lie to Voldemort about Harry being dead, which helps win the battle. Lucius didn't do shit.

The woman saves the day and the man gets the credit.

The biologist went on to remark, "It's important to remember that while all wasps are thoroughly psychopathic jerks, some of them are also rich and white, so it's important to be nice to them."

Top Bottom