• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

D.Final

Banned
Good stuff. Great theme.
Hope the rest of the OST will be good too.
My god FF soundtracks are too good for this world.

Yeah, it's true.
Every single game, and movie, in the Final Fantasy saga has always had an amazing and beautiful OST.
Even the spinoff chapters of the saga have splendid and excellent OSTs.

And I am equally certain that all the next Final Fantasy games will have as many beautiful OSTs too.

And among my favorites there are definitely these:

Last edited:

Komatsu

Well, it seems they're going full medieval again, which is a nice change. However, why is it that any dark medieval narrative nowadays seems to crib from Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire?

BRZBlue

Well, it seems they're going full medieval again, which is a nice change. However, why is it that any dark medieval narrative nowadays seems to crib from Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire?

I mean, tactics did it in 1997. This is more of a return to that since many of those involved are from that "branch" of the FF family.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Yeah, it's true.
Every single game, and movie, in the Final Fantasy saga has always had an amazing and beautiful OST.
Even the spinoff chapters of the saga have splendid and excellent OSTs.

And I am equally certain that all the next Final Fantasy games will have as many beautiful OSTs too.

And among my favorites there are definitely these:

The franchise has so many good tracks you'd be busy for half a day listing them all lmao.

BRZBlue

I'll believe it when I see it. Hell I'm Still waiting on news for a FF7R xbox release

Yeah. I think Sony probably has the option of re-upping for a certain amount of money at a certain time. Or possibly for more advertising. Or maybe a pack-in with a special edition console (I'd fucking buy that).

Komatsu

I mean, tactics did it in 1997. This is more of a return to that since many of those involved are from that "branch" of the FF family.

I get it, but still: Tactics, Matsuno's brainchild, had a very particular feel, which I doubt this mainline game will reproduce. Look at the trailer, the GOT influence is obvious.

BRZBlue

I get it, but still: Tactics, Matsuno's brainchild, had a very particular feel, which I doubt this mainline game will reproduce. Look at the trailer, the GOT influence is obvious.

TBH, it feels much more FFXIV Heavensward to me, which apparently is where most of the Heavensward team went. I mean, even the artwork they teased a while back is pure Heavensward.

kW5zN81.jpg

j6eTfsD.png

Komatsu

TBH, it feels much more FFXIV Heavensward to me, which apparently is where most of the Heavensward team went. I mean, even the artwork they teased a while back is pure Heavensward.

The game is being produced by Yoshida, after all.

But come on:
j6eTfsD.png

AydNZtu.jpg

Let's not beat around the bush. The cadence, the narration, even some of the aesthetics, a lot of it was cribbed from GOT, of which, by the way, we know Yoshida is a fan and has even discussed in past interviews.

BRZBlue

But come on:
j6eTfsD.png

AydNZtu.jpg

Let's not beat around the bush. The cadence, the narration, even some of the aesthetics, a lot of it was cribbed from GOT, of which, by the way, we know Yoshida is a fan and has even discussed in past interviews.

Agree to disagree I guess. I just think its odd to always go "Dark Fantasy? ZOMG GAME OF THRONES". Just like how every 3rd person combat game is "like Dark Souls! But X!". The swamp area definitely gives me witcher vibes, but then, we've seen I think 3 different environments.

Komatsu

Agree to disagree I guess. I just think its odd to always go "Dark Fantasy? ZOMG GAME OF THRONES". Just like how every 3rd person combat game is "like Dark Souls! But X!". The swamp area definitely gives me witcher vibes, but then, we've seen I think 3 different environments.

Yes, it's very odd to think that a game produced by a man who said "Game of Thrones is a great work, would love to do something with them" and that "[GRRM] should just finish the books!", with pretty similar aesthetics, a King's Landing knock-off, etc., was in fact hugely inspired by... Game of Thrones. I mean, what an absurd notion.

By the way, since you mentioned Witcher 3, Yoshida also sung the game's praises.

BRZBlue

Yes, it's very odd to think that a game produced by a man who said "Game of Thrones is a great work, would love to do something with them" and that "[GRRM] should just finish the books!", with pretty similar aesthetics, a King's Landing knock-off, etc., was in fact hugely inspired by... Game of Thrones. I mean, what an absurd notion.

By the way, since you mentioned Witcher 3, Yoshida also sung the game's praises.

I mean, he also played a lot of DAoC too. I'm sure it influenced him, but I don't think he went "we make Game of Thrones ripoff, go go go".

EDMIX

But come on:
j6eTfsD.png

AydNZtu.jpg

I don't know about all that.

GOT invented castles? Narration? Come on man, a lot of that stuff exist outside of that IP to really be making it sound as if someone being a fan of something, somehow means that why you have what you have in FFXVI, as if this was the first fucking time in a Final Fantasy game those concepts, objects and iconography was used.

It would be like saying Battlefield is copying Call Of Duty cause they both have the Uzi and guess what? Someone at BF is a big fan of Call Of Duty... (proceeds to ignore that those concepts are not actually invented by call of duty).

BRZBlue BRZBlue lol pretty much. Like when someone is like "game have horse and grass, can't believe they are copying Witcher 3, they INVETNED GRASS AND HORSE"

Grass more greener (WOOOOOW now they are copying ZELDA, they OWN THE COPYRIGHT TO GRASS FOLKS) /s

Last edited:

Komatsu

GOT invented castles? Narration? Come on man, a lot of that stuff exist outside of that IP to really be making it sound as if someone being a fan of something, somehow means that why you have what you have in FFXVI, as if this was the first fucking time in a Final Fantasy game those concepts, objects and iconography was used.

It would be like saying Battlefield is copying Call Of Duty cause they both have the Uzi and guess what? Someone at BF is a big fan of Call Of Duty... (proceeds to ignore that those concepts are not actually invented by call of duty).

It should perhaps give you pause that the GOT association came up immediately after the trailer was released, with at least one of the art directors in the show (can't find the tweet now) commenting on a number of similarities. Same thing on Japanese twitter, with one commentator asking: "Why must all dark fantasy be like GOT now?". As for myself, I have been playing Final Fantasy since before Martin even published A Game of Thrones in 1996, so it's not like I am fishing for connections here.

EDMIX

It should perhaps give you pause that the GOT association came up immediately after the trailer was released, with at least one of the art directors in the show (can't find the tweet now) commenting on a number of similarities. Same thing on Japanese twitter, with one commentator asking: "Why must all dark fantasy be like GOT now?". As for myself, I have been playing Final Fantasy since before Martin even published A Game of Thrones in 1996, so it's not like I am fishing for connections here.

Nah its reaching...

They didn't fucking invent those concepts man... Twilight Princess copying Game Of Thrones too or? FFXII copying Game Of Thrones too? So I've been playing the series too and many other RPGs and this concept is not owned or invented by Martin even remotely...

So this whole "a number of similarities" thing are of concepts that existed prior to Game Of Thrones, it would be like saying Witcher show on Netflix is copying Game Of Thrones as they invented dark and castles, yup we NEVER had that before /s

Last edited:

Komatsu

Nah its reaching...

They didn't fucking invent those concepts man... Twilight Princess copying Game Of Thrones too or? FFXII copying Game Of Thrones too? So I've been playing the series too and many other RPGs and this concept is not owned or invented by Martin even remotely...

Twilight Princess is not remotely similar to this, but that aside, I guess we will have agree to disagree, as BRZBlue BRZBlue said. Let's revisit this once the full list of voice actors is released.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

Twilight Princess is not remotely similar to this, but that aside, I guess we will have agree to disagree, as BRZBlue BRZBlue said. Let's revisit this once the full list of voice actors.

I'm willing to bet they're using the same London-based studio they've been using since Heavensward. So there's a decent chance we'll see Joe Dempsie or Michael McElhatton since they do work for that studio (and also FFXIV).

EDMIX

Twilight Princess is not remotely similar to this, but that aside, I guess we will have agree to disagree, as BRZBlue BRZBlue said. Let's revisit this once the full list of voice actors.

Doesn't really matter, one could argue the very same thing you stated with this whole "a number of similarities". If That game released TODAY in 2020, you can't tell me someone out here would not be arguing such a thing. Dark theme, castles, olden times "woooooow can't believe Zelda is not taken over by GOT fanboys" (shows link that director of Zelda likes GoT). So I feel anyone can argue this. If they didn't know the title existed before, they'd just argue its because of GOT even though the concepts existed prior to GOT.

For all we know, he likes GOT because clearly that is the same concept and ideals he does in his own work.... So you have stories with castles on islands, deep inland and yes on peninsulas. To say that having NARRATION suddenly means it must be in reference to GOT or even how the characters speak or behave is just silly. That is how they fucking spoke in FFXII.

So sir....if this game released in 2020, you telling me the dark themes, castles and how they spoke was not going to have you say what you stated regarding GOT, oh but hey this game will make you state that? Are you 100% sure? So I don't really buy that if FFXII was a 2020 game, that you wouldn't bring up this supposed GOT influence....

BRZBlue

To me it looks more like a coastal Minas Tirith, or even Solitude

It actually makes me wonder if there are some more "fantastical" places in the setting. It does seem like the main "country" that the MC hails from is a bit of a minor power.

I also wonder if we're going to see jobs. We didn't really see anything in the trailer besides Eikon-based abilities, but I wonder. Yoshida was especially fond of using job switching to great dramatic effect in the Shadowbringers trailer.

Komatsu

I'm willing to bet they're using the same London-based studio they've been using since Heavensward. So there's a decent chance we'll see Joe Dempsie or Michael McElhatton since they do work for that studio (and also FFXIV).

Yes, quite likely. Michael did a bang-up job voicing the villain (Gaius van Baelsar).

EDMIX

It actually makes me wonder if there are some more "fantastical" places in the setting. It does seem like the main "country" that the MC hails from is a bit of a minor power.

I also wonder if we're going to see jobs. We didn't really see anything in the trailer besides Eikon-based abilities, but I wonder. Yoshida was especially fond of using job switching to great dramatic effect in the Shadowbringers trailer.

Agreed. If you are just playing 1 person, I'd like to have jobs like in FFXIV or FFV.

Komatsu

Doesn't really matter, one could argue the very same thing you stated with this whole "a number of similarities". If That game released TODAY in 2020, you can't tell me someone out here would not be arguing such a thing. Dark theme, castles, olden times "woooooow can't believe Zelda is not taken over by GOT fanboys" (shows link that director of Zelda likes GoT). So I feel anyone can argue this. If they didn't know the title existed before, they'd just argue its because of GOT even though the concepts existed prior to GOT. [/MEDIA]

Look, EDMIX, if people that worked on the show, many actual JAPANESE FANS (who have followed the franchise way before Martin was a thing in their country) and others have noted the similarities and yet you insist on this strawman, I don't know what to tell you. Twilight Princess is not a game of kingdoms at war, intrigue, etc.. Is it Dark Fantasy? Yes. Is the apparel, the character design, the overall feel of the world similar to GOT? No.

Final Fantasy has always cribbed from film and TV, this is nothing particularly new or even bad.

BRZBlue

Yes, quite likely. Michael did a bang-up job voicing the villain (Gaius van Baelsar).
I hope they get Salóme Gunnarsdóttir for something. She has this amazing scene in Shadowbringers that brings me to tears every time I hear it. The way her voice cracks. Ugh. And she has this really unique accent.

Komatsu

I hope they get Salóme Gunnarsdóttir for something. She has this amazing scene in Shadowbringers that brings me to tears every time I hear it. The way her voice cracks. Ugh. And she has this really unique accent.

Much better than Fran's voice actress in FFXII (Nicole Fantl) and her Bjork impersonation.

EDMIX

others have noted the similarities

Similarities that GOT literally shares with concepts older then it...

Twilight Princess is not a game of kingdoms at war, intrigue

Doesn't really matter. Doesn't need to be 1.1, simply that if released in 2020, many might attribute its dark them to influenced from GOT.

kingdoms at war, intrigue,

Yea....none of that is exclusive to GoT. In Final Fantasy IX Alexandria was warring with other nations.....

Final Fantasy has always cribbed from film and TV, this is nothing particularly new or even bad.

I agree, but the fact that the IP exist LONGER then GoT only shows that such concepts are not new to them to solely attribute their existence in a Final Fantasy game from GOT... Like stated, they didn't invent warring nations, castles, dark...

Komatsu

Doesn't really matter. Doesn't need to be 1.1, simply that if released in 2020, many might attribute its dark them to influenced from GOT.

This is pure speculation. Which I am willing to bet won't happen at all with BOTW2, the "darker" sequel. Nobody will compare it to GOT as Zelda as a franchise simply does not match well with GOT's overall theme and narrative thrusts. The overall feel and aesthetics here are very GOT, yes. To argue otherwise is like Kawazu saying that XII wasn't inspired by Star Wars, which back then frankly defied common sense (and some industry gossip, which we don't have to get into here). The fact that some of these characteristics did not originate with GOT is irrelevant, what matters is the package and how it's presented. Miami Vice did not invent noir or even the glam-thriller microgenre, yet everybody knows GTA: Vice City used the Michael Mann show as a huge, huge influence.

We've had dozens of Dark Fantasy games released since GOT hit our TVs in 2011, including the last two mainline FFXIII games, Dragon's Dogma, etc. etc. and comparisons were rather rare because there was no thematic overlap whatsoever. The fact that this became a topic of conversation on social media within seconds of the trailer coming out should show you that the similarities are striking.

But again, agree to disagree and let's not derail the thread further. When the game comes out, if it's significantly different from what was presented I will gladly eat my hat and do the walk of shame. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

EDMIX

Nobody will compare it to GOT

I find that extremely hard to believe. Not a single person? No one on earth will say that? Come on now...

The fact that this became a topic of conversation on social media within seconds of the trailer coming out should show you that the similarities are striking.

Nah, just shows that folks will argue that GOT influences anything, as to why they'd simply say the same shit if we showed them Twilight Princess or FFXII and said it was a new game coming out in 2020

When the game comes out, if it's significantly different from what was presented I will gladly eat my hat and do the walk of shame.

Well I don't think that trailer is enough as clearly more of the game will be revealed later, simply that I don't agree that the existence of GOT is as significant as some might be suggesting. As the theme, tone, iconography etc are not new to Final Fantasy.

BRZBlue

I find that extremely hard to believe. Not a single person? No one on earth will say that? Come on now...

Nah, just shows that folks will argue that GOT influences anything, as to why they'd simply say the same shit if we showed them Twilight Princess or FFXII and said it was a new game coming out in 2020

Well I don't think that trailer is enough as clearly more of the game will be revealed later, simply that I don't agree that the existence of GOT is as significant as some might be suggesting. As the theme, tone, iconography etc are not new to Final Fantasy.

Its also worth noting that culturally GoT has pretty much disappeared after the horrendous final season of the show.

BRZBlue

I'm actually wondering if the "jobs" will be tied to the Eikons. Titan would be monk (hand to hand). Red mage would be Phoenix (hybrid magic/sword), etc. And you switch combat styles on the fly by switching Eikon abilities.

Some are saying this game will have ties to Vagrant Story.

Joshua Corrinne Bardorba is the four-year-old son of Duke Aldous Byron Bardorba in Vagrant Story.

I haven't player the game, so dunno.

Its not without reason. Is Akihiko Yoshida in charge of art for the game? He did Vagrant Story, Tactics, ARR and Heavensward, and supposedly most of the team for this came from the Heavensward team.

Last edited:

Furball

Wonder why people keep saying this will have GOT influence when . They make Tactic Orge , Orge battle . Those release before Game of Throne ever exist if i remember correctly

BRZBlue

Wonder why people keep saying this will have GOT influence when . They make Tactic Orge , Orge battle . Those release before Game of Throne ever exist if i remember correctly

Oh. I think at fanfest 2016 Yoshi-P actually said Tactics Ogre is his favorite game. He actually had a lifelong dream of making a game with Matsuno, and finally got to when they did the Ivalice raids in FFXIV. If anything I'd say that probably had a bigger influence on him than GoT. I mean, part of the reason he even wanted to make games and work at Square was to work with the Matsuno.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Its possible. There could have been some talking going on while he was doing the ivalice storyline and raids for FFXIV.

He's been outta the game for far too long. I know he's worked on smaller projects since FFXII, but the dude is seriously talented when it comes to storytelling, and it's a shame Square wasted him for all those years.

BRZBlue

He's been outta the game for far too long. I know he's worked on smaller projects since FFXII, but the dude is seriously talented when it comes to storytelling, and it's a shame Square wasted him for all those years.

Wasn't he teasing some Vagrant Story related stuff on twitter to fans in April? Could FF16 be related?

I also forget he's STILL working on FFXIV. The "Save the Queen: Blades of Gunnhildr" storyline is his doing.

They look like best buds tho. Yoshi-P must be so pumped.
5bfgUv3.jpg

Last edited:

Madflavor

Wasn't he teasing some Vagrant Story related stuff on twitter to fans in April? Could FF16 be related?

I also forget he's STILL working on FFXIV. The "Save the Queen: Blades of Gunnhildr" storyline is his doing.

I'd be willing to bet that at the very least he probably gave guidance on XVI. Whether he's directly involved in the game remains to be seen, but I do know Yoshi P respects the shit outta Matsuno and they've worked together before.

The protagonist looks grounded and mature. That's definitely Matsuno's style.

Last edited:

Myths

He probably moved on to bigger and better mediums outside of games.

Kidding

Kumomeme

worth to mention last year there creative bussiness division 3 job hiring for lightning artist with job description to implement lighning system in engine

it sounds like they developed separate new engine for the project. So either completely new engine or upgraded their existing engine. I dont want to jump into conclusion yet.

squareenixbusinessdivwlk40.png

ZZZZ

worth to mention last year there creative bussiness division 3 job hiring for lightning artist with job description to implement lighning system in engine

it sounds like they developed separate new engine for the project. So either completely new engine or upgraded their existing engine. I dont want to jump into conclusion yet.

squareenixbusinessdivwlk40.png

Making a new engine usually takes forever, i'm not sure the game would be so far in development if they really made a new one.

Kumomeme

Making a new engine usually takes forever, i'm not sure the game would be so far in development if they really made a new one.
hopefully it wont affect development much like how XIII and XV is. I'm hoping for completed engine like UE4 or Luminous so they could speed up their work, adding more content and didnt held back their vision. I dont want another FF game with empty world, linear, plothole, lack of town, smaller scope etc. But who know? maybe they making or reworking on tools that they used and comfortable to work with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom