• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

D.Final

Banned
Square Enix contributed quite a bit this year. Some would say they saved us from the corona.
Yeah

I don't understand how some of you guys can draw the c8nclusion that this has combat similar to FFXV. Because it's realtime? By what we've seen so far, it could be just as close to Devil May Cry or God of War. No telling at this point.

Because of the dinamic action combat system, and the Warp Strike
(a clearly inspiration from Final Fantasy XV)

Dj0gOqr.gif

m6TCdSY.gif

And, of course, that will be only a part of all the combat system.
But the strong inspiration is here.

I mean the combat looks great to and I am also fairly certain that it will be openworld. However, the characters seemed a little generic to to me. Contrast this with FFXV where i dont know why but characters seemed lively and unique.

True.
In Final Fantasy XV the characters are really special and unique in their own way. A truly great team.

In Final Fantasy XVI, even if we don't have a confirmation if it is an openworld game yet, yeah....
The characters design in FFXVI seems a little generic, probably also because of the artstyle (too much similar to FFXIV).
But we have see to little, and not much for now, so we still need to see more before say something about the whole game art.
(I hope in some surprise and quirkiness of some characters, at least)

Last edited:

Calverz

Man the game looked pretty average. At first i thought it was an expansion to FF14. The faces need overhauling and the lighting just looked off.
In saying that, i love medieval final fantasy so im really glad they are going back to it to i have hopes they can improve it.

martino

Yeah

Dj0gOqr.gif

m6TCdSY.gif

But the strong inspiration is here
i see this too
but not really a positive for me

D.Final

Banned
i see this too
but not really a positive for me

For me it is positive :messenger_smiling_hearts:

And if they menage to create a strong party of different characters, in the great way that they did even in the beautiful and fun combat system of Final Fantasy XV, that will be surely a great thing for me.
(since I consider the Final Fantasy XV combat system really awesome)

martino

And if they menage to create a strong party of different characters, in the great way that they did even in the beautiful and fun combat system of Final Fantasy XV, that will be surely a great thing for me.
I'm a weird one and my tastes are not market friendly sadly but i would take a turn based system ff over that.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Character action games are my favorite genre but I don't like that the mainline final fantasy looks to be totally abandoning the rpg aspect outside of stats and skill trees. I love pizza but I don't want my favorite cake shop to start serving pizza instead.

7 remake felt like a perfect way to turn the classic Final Fantasy style into something real-time.
This however, just looks like straight up DMC, a real step backwards. It's dumb to judge by a single trailer though so I'm hoping to see more rpg like systems outside of some skill trees and stats mixed in later.

That said, I think we need about 10x more Dmc like games so I guess I can deal with giving up on a Mainline FF now that we have the 7 Remake series, Ironically it makes this game look like a spin off, This is a really funny turn of events..

Seriously, the 7 remake feels like everything this franchise has been trying to achieve since FF12. I suppose this game started development to long ago for them to both use it so here's hoping FFXVII can fix this mistake and include it.

I just really love Final Fantasy VII:R, it is actually the best Final Fantasy game I've ever played, and I've played them all.
;)

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Yeah

Dj0gOqr.gif

m6TCdSY.gif

But the strong inspiration is here.

That warp strike you see could just as easily be a manually performed dash move. I wouldn't be surprised of SE will reiterate on what they've done before, but there is no way to tell from this video, and this is a completely different team, so chances are this is not like FFX at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do keep some form of auto attack though, they did it in both XV and VIIR. I hope they take more inspiration from VIIR than XV.

D.Final

Banned
Character action games are my favourite genre but I don't like that the mainline final fantasy looks to be totally abandoning the rpg aspect outside of stats and skill trees. I love pizza but I don't want my favourite cake shop to make Pizza instead.

7 remake felt like a perfect way to turn the classic Final Fantasy style into something realtime.
This however just looks like straight up DMC. It's dumb to judge by a single trailer though so I'm hoping to see rpg like system mixed in later.

That said I think we need about 10x more Dmc like games so I guess I can deal with giving up on a Mainline FF now that we have the 7 Remake series, Ironically it makes this game look like a spin off, This is a really funny turn of events..

Seriously the 7 remake system is the best thing to come out of the franchise I suppose this game started development to long ago for them to both use it so here's hoping FFXVII can fix this mistake and include it.

In the end it is a deliberate evolution.
Future games in the main Final Fantasy series will going to always experience new variants of action combat system.
(whether fully action like Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy XVI, or hybrid like FFVII Remake)
[but they will going to create always something different (even if it is just a little), and even with the inspiration from a chapter or another]
{and even action games, like FFXV and FFVII Remake, has the equipment and the stats, so I think that even FFXVI will have something of that, in the end}

What is certain is that the quality will always be high in the end.
And I also would love a Final Fantasy Tactics return.
(even if it was only for just a Remake)
Because the Final Fantasy Tactics spinoff series is awesome and deserves a return.

That warp strike you see could just as easily be a manually performed dash move. I wouldn't be surprised of SE will reiterate on what they've done before, but there is no way to tell from this video, and this is a completely different team, so chances are this is not like FFX at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do keep some form of auto attack though, they did it in both XV and VIIR. I hope they take more inspiration from VIIR than XV.

The team are different, but from what I've seen from the FFXVI trailer, the inspiration from Final Fantasy XV are definitely strong.
But, as I already said, that it is only just a little part of all.
And we need to see more.

But I'm happy that Final Fantasy XV it was taken from the FFXVI team as inspiration, even if just for the combat system.

Last edited:

Lethal01

{and even action games, like FFXV and FFVII Remake, has the equipment and the stats, so I think that even FFXVI will have something of that, in the end}

Yep I'm totally sure there will be stats and levels and all that, pretty much every game in every genre has that at this point.
I'm just hoping for something more inspired by previous rpgs when it comes to how the combat actually works.

Also, I edited my previous post just a bit.

ZZZZ

I see 0 inspiration from FFXV, everything on FFXV is automatic, you hold button to attack or you hold button to dodge.
I see inspirations from Dragon's dogma and DMC here clearly, you have multi directional dodges, and combos that will have directional input for sure, like pressing up on the analog stick to send the enemy into the air or down for a overhead swing.

Myths

I produce hiphop/trap music as a hobby - orchestral music by itself doesnt 'slap', atleast not in a modern sense. Orchestral music maybe it'll hit you more emotionally, which I think is the quality where it shines most (if used effectively), but saying orchestral music slaps in the modern sense of a musical composition 'slapping'.. it simply does not.

Where is the bass that is supposedly slapping me? Those timpani's and lower brass instruments arent doing it for me.

bruh, I said the same thing. Orchestral slapping, LOL.

I will say... there are some cool remixes.

Last edited:
This however, just looks like straight up DMC, a real step backwards. It's dumb to judge by a single trailer though so I'm hoping to see more rpg like systems outside of some skill trees and stats mixed in later.

Yeah we have to wait to see the rpg systems in place before we can judge. It might look button mashing on the outside but a really deep rpg elements in the gameplay system. We simply have to see more.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Hopefully it has a hot and perfect girl like Aranea if you ask me lads.
Note that I'm 100% unbiased and upstanding.

What year do you think this will release?
Q4 2021 would be great but it's probably a delusional expectation.

ZZZZ

I think Square considers this their juggernaut and will argue it needs to release in Q4 for that Christmas money like all the other big hitters...
I think that's overrated, if it's good it will sell, i believe Q4 2021 was the target before Covid.

Kimahri

Banned
The team are different, but from what I've seen from the FFXVI trailer, the inspiration from Final Fantasy XV are definitely strong.
But, as I already said, that it is only just a little part of all.
And we need to see more.

But I'm happy that Final Fantasy XV it was taken from the FFXVI team as inspiration, even if just for the combat system.

I see absolutely no XV inspiration here. It's just fast paced action at this point, and that coule mean anything.

Will be very interesting to see what it'll end up being though. I hope there will be a party and plenty of characters.

And moogles. They need a triumphant return.

D.Final

Banned
I see 0 inspiration from FFXV, everything on FFXV is automatic, you hold button to attack or you hold button to dodge.
I see inspirations from Dragon's dogma and DMC here clearly, you have multi directional dodges, and combos that will have directional input for sure, like pressing up on the analog stick to send the enemy into the air or down for a overhead swing.

Nope
The Final Fantasy XV combat system isn't automatic, dude.
(there's parry, there's chain attacks, there's counter attacks [different for each enemy's] there's combo attacks, there's areal combo, weapons change and chain, a more)
And, even if you don't like it, doesn't mean that it is automatic.

And, the Final Fantasy XVI combat system it seems exactly like the Final Fantasy XV combat system.
Especially for the areal combo, and warp attacks

5qat2Ik.gif

Like this warp strike finisher

I see absolutely no XV inspiration here. It's just fast paced action at this point, and that coule mean anything.

Will be very interesting to see what it'll end up being though. I hope there will be a party and plenty of characters.

And moogles. They need a triumphant return.

I've seen the Final Fantasy XVI trailer multiple times, and I've seen a lot of similarities with the Final Fantasy XV combat system.

vza0lWM.gif

(especially regarding areal combos, dash, and the iconic warp strike)

And I'm happy that the Final Fantasy XV combat system is part of the inspiration for the Final Fantasy XVI combat system.
(since the FFXV Combat System is great)

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Nope
(there's parry, there's chain attacks, there's counter attacks [different for each enemy's] there's combo attacks, there's areal combo, weapons change and chain, a more)

And, the Final Fantasy XVI combat system it seems exactly like the Final Fantasy XV combat system.

5qat2Ik.gif

I've seen the Final Fantasy XVI trailer multiple times, and I've seen a lot of similarities with the Final Fantasy XV combat system.

vza0lWM.gif

And I'm happy that the Final Fantasy XV combat system is part of the inspiration for the Final Fantasy XVI combat system.

Dude, it's all conjecture at this point. All we know for certain at this point is that we know nothing. You're free to assume whatever you like, and you could be right, but you could just as easily be dead wrong.

We know nothing about input method here. This could play like XV, or Kingdom Hearts, or even Devil May Cry. No way of telling from this trailer.

We'll know soon enough. Personally I hope they steer far away from XV. Partly because I want something new and fresh, and partly because I found the combat there to be of the least interesting in the series.

ZZZZ

Nope

5qat2Ik.gif

vza0lWM.gif

"Iconic warp strike", a simple dash attack became iconic just because it was in FFXV? color me surprised.
Game has multi directional dodges (i could be wrong on this one), directional combos, air juggling enemies, enemy pulls, enemy step, animation cancel, using summons in a similar way that Dante uses the bosses he defeats as weapons, nothing that was in FF XV.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I don't see the similarities at all. There is a kind of warp strike, but we don't know if its only for closing in or goes across the map. FFXVI combat looks much more refined with far more options and weight to it. Its closer to Automata or even DMC than to FFXV.

FFXV has the worst real time combat I have ever played. Yet FFXVI looks good to me.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
"Iconic warp strike", a simple dash attack became iconic just because it was in FFXV? color me surprised.
Game has multi directional dodges (i could be wrong on this one), directional combos, air juggling enemies, enemy pulls, enemy step, animation cancel, using summons in a similar way that Dante uses the bosses he defeats as weapons, nothing that was in FF XV.

The Warp Strike isn't a simple dash.
It's a iconic attack of Noctis.
The projections of the weapons for hit an enemy and teleport you in front of the enemy.

This comes from FFXV, and it's seems to be present even in FFXVI.
And even Final Fantasy XV has areal combos, directional dodge and more. So...
(this for say that FFXV is, definitely, just a part of the inspiration for FFXVI combat system)

Dude, it's all conjecture at this point. All we know for certain at this point is that we know nothing. You're free to assume whatever you like, and you could be right, but you could just as easily be dead wrong.

We know nothing about input method here. This could play like XV, or Kingdom Hearts, or even Devil May Cry. No way of telling from this trailer.

We'll know soon enough. Personally I hope they steer far away from XV. Partly because I want something new and fresh, and partly because I found the combat there to be of the least interesting in the series.

I'm personally loved the inspiration from the Final Fantasy XV combat system for Final Fantasy XVI.
(but for major details about it, you've right, we need to see more)

I don't see the similarities at all. There is a kind of warp strike, but we don't know if its only for closing in or goes across the map. FFXVI combat looks much more refined with far more options and weight to it. Its closer to Automata or even DMC than to FFXV.

FFXV has the worst real time combat I have ever played. Yet FFXVI looks good to me.

I see a lot of similarities.
And I'm happy that the Final Fantasy XVI team takes as inspiration also the Final Fantasy XV combat system.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

The Warp Strike isn't a simple dash.
It's a iconic attack of Noctis.
The projections of the weapons for hit an enemy and teleport you in front of the enemy.

This comes from FFXV, and it's seems to be present even in FFXVI.
And even Final Fantasy XV has areal combos, directional dodge and more. So...
(this for say that FFXV is part of the inspiration for FFXVI)

I'm personally loved the inspiration from the Final Fantasy XV combat system for Final Fantasy XVI.
(but for major details about it, you've right, we need to see more)

I see a lot of similarities.
And I'm happy that the Final Fantasy XVI team takes as inspiration also the Final Fantasy XV combat system.
Dude a dash with blink is a normal attack in a lot of games, it's not "iconic", ever played any action game ever?

vza0lWM.gif

vl10q0.gif

I can find plenty of other action games with similar dash with blink attacks.

Edit: Ciri has a normal blink attack and a blink finisher as well, similar to the 2 gifs you posted, and i'm not here saying they are taking inspirations on the combat from TW3.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Watched the trailer again and dont find it that bad looking. Dont like that Xbox is getting skipped but Im getting both consoles anyway.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Dude a dash with blink is a normal attack in a lot of games, it's not "iconic", ever played any action game ever?

vza0lWM.gif

vl10q0.gif

I can find plenty of other action games with similar dash with blink attacks.

Edit: Ciri has a normal blink attack and a blink finisher as well, similar to the 2 gifs you posted, and i'm not here saying they are taking inspirations in the combat from TW3.

The trail it leaves, and the method of execution, is very similar to the projections used by Noctis.

Either way, it's just an FFXV inspiration, after all.
(and it's a good thing)

Last edited:

Kumomeme

my guess is, since XIV expansion 6.0 will come out next year 2021, so,

XIV 6.0 2021
XVI 2022
VIIR - part 2 2023?

if project Athia not a final fantasy i can see it launch alongside any of these final fantasy games launch year

D.Final

Banned

The Final Fantasy XVI combat system continues to seems be pretty similar to the Final Fantasy XV combat system.

vza0lWM.gif

And I continue to say that this is actually a good thing, since the Final Fantasy XV combat system is great.
(and it is easily, and probably, taken has inspiration from the FFXVI team for make this Final Fantasy XVI combat system)

And it seems that the Final Fantasy XV combat is clearly part of the inspiration for the Final Fantasy XVI combat system.
And I'm happy to see this

Last edited:

SaniOYOYOY

Nope

5qat2Ik.gif

vza0lWM.gif

xv is absolutely the blueprint of arpg FFs. 7r and XVI is the proof of that no question.

ZZZZ

What was it again? "The Iconic Warp Strike" by Noctis himself.

And it seems that the Final Fantasy XV combat is clearly part of the inspiration for the Final Fantasy XVI combat system.

tenor.gif

my guess is, since XIV expansion 6.0 will come out next year 2021, so,

XIV 6.0 2021
XVI 2022
VIIR - part 2 2023?

if project Athia not a final fantasy i can see it launch alongside any of these final fantasy games launch year
Q1?

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
What was it again? "The Iconic Warp Strike" by Noctis himself.

Q1?

Too hard to see the truth, eh....
How poor sad dude.....

But don't worry.
The Final Fantasy XV combat system can be a great starting point for creating the Final Fantasy XVI combat system.

xv is absolutely the blueprint of arpg FFs. 7r and XVI is the proof of that no question.

I agree.
The first place when Square Enix going for an inspiration, especially for creating a new action jrpg Final Fantasy game, it is clearly Final Fantasy XV.
(especially for the mainline new games)
[and yes, even Final Fantasy VII Remake takes some little inspiration from Final Fantasy XV, in the game characters freely dialogues, and something even in the gameplay]

And Final Fantasy XVI clearly shows this in the announcement trailer.
(and i love the FFXV inspiration)

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
The Final Fantasy XVI combat system continues to seems be pretty similar to the Final Fantasy XV combat system.

vza0lWM.gif

And I continue to say that this is actually a good thing, since the Final Fantasy XV combat system is great.
(and it is easily, and probably, taken has inspiration from the FFXVI team for make this Final Fantasy XVI combat system)

You've really gotta stop taking your hopes and wishes as clear facts.

That, and go play some character action games for experience.

[and yes, even Final Fantasy VII Remake takes some little inspiration from Final Fantasy XV, in the game characters freely dialogues, and something even in the gameplay]

Thank you for this, now I know not to take you seriously.

ZZZZ

Too hard to see the truth, eh....
How poor sad dude.....
I just find it funny that someone believes a blink attack to be "iconic" and unique to his character when a lot of other games and media have done it before.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
You've really gotta stop taking your hopes and wishes as clear facts.
That, and go play some character action games for experience.

Thank you for this, now I know not to take you seriously.

It is the truth. (and I've played a lot of action [and also action JRPG] game, dude)
Anyway, I don't think it's very important after all for now.

The inspiration is more obvious coming from one's own studies (in this case of Square Enix, from Final Fantasy XV, for making a great action jrpg), evolving or changing in some aspects, rather than in other metods or ways.
And that is more than correct, and actually a good thing.
Seeing as the combat system of Final Fantasy XV is great.

Last edited:

I just find it funny that someone believes a blink attack to be "iconic" and unique to his character when a lot of other games and media have done it before.
Technically, we have had equivalent of blink attacks in the SNES sprite days. It's just that it was interpreted as low frame animation. You can certainly argue it being like the Sword Dance skill in FFV, for example.

Kimahri

Banned
It is the truth. (and I've played a lot of action [and also action JRPG] game, dude)
Anyway, I don't think it's very important after all for now.

The inspiration is more obvious coming from one's own studies (in this case of Square Enix, from Final Fantasy XV, for making a great action jrpg), evolving or changing in some aspects, rather than in other metods or ways.
And that is more than correct, and actually a good thing.
Seeing as the combat system of Final Fantasy XV is great.

Yeah, I heard you the first 1000 times, XV combat system is great.

It's cool you dig it, and you can have whatever hopes for this you will. But you're being pretty arrogant and acting like some FF authority, and, well, you're not. There are plenty of us here who are just as knowledgeable about the series as you, if not more so.

It's silly to be so certain of something. I agree they can look similar, but the whole point is that on the surface, so do a lot of games. Doesn't mean they play anything like each other.

PS- "your truth" is not the truth. Good thing to keep in mind.

xion4360

Noctis' Warp Strike (and warps in general) in FFXV isnt the same as a teleporting strike in most games.....with the warp strike he's throwing the weapon and then teleporting to it...so its a little unique in that way.

Last edited:

Mojo1990

Is Aranea modeled after a real woman? Her face I mean.

Lethal01

vza0lWM.gif

Seems like you're missing the point, You are claiming that FFXV is an inspiration when you have nothing to back it up.
There is nothing unique about the dash attack, there is nothing unique about aerial combat.

The obvious inspiration is Devil May Cry, they literally brought on a developer from that team to make this. I'd say it's far more likely that the similarities you are seeing to FFXV is due to FFXV looking similar to DMC rather than them basing this games combat on FFXV.

This is not about whether FFXV is a good game or not.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Noctis' Warp Strike (and warps in general) in FFXV isnt the same as a teleporting strike in most games.....with the warp strike he's throwing the weapon and then teleporting to it...so its a little unique in that way.

Just This
I agree completely

Top Bottom