• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII confirmed for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

makingmusic476 said:
Is it just me, or does it seem like that was originally supposed to be a trailer for a ps3-exclusive FFXIII, but then they worked out a deal a few days ago, threw in "in Japan" and showed it as MS's conference?

Honestly, it has no mention of the 360 ANYWHERE in the trailer. But it does mention the ps3. At Microsoft's conference. It seems very suspicious to me.

The "In Japan" has always been there in all the FFXIII trailers afaik. We've speculated on it before, but no one expected the true extent of the megaton.

Xeke said:
But the PS3 is for all intents and purposes irrelevant in Japan. This game will provide a bump for 2 or 3 weeks but that's all...

Totally disagree.
This is no MGS4 people in Japan have been waiting forever for FFXIII it is constantly at the top of Famitsu's
Most anticipated games section.

genjiZERO

mr stroke said:
:lol
ok what the hell is going on now?
really?

I think multiplatform development is analogous to 'writing to the lowest common denominator'. Systems aren't the same, and programming necessarily isn't. If you're coding for two different languages you have to make sacrifices to one to make things work on another. If you're doing that you are limiting your 'pallet', and if you're limited on that than you're limited on what you can do with the overall presentation. Like I said, your favourite games may be multiplatform, but none of mine are and I'm convinced it was because they were tailor made for the console.

Muppet345 said:
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Yes because FFVII sold so bad.

Cdammen

At first I was surprised but then I realized that it's really not that surprising. I mean, it's a economically wise decision. Covering more formats = more money.

(EDIT) And wow, the fanboys are flaming in this thread :lol

Is there a video of the announcement and not just the trailer? The youtube vids I found don't have sound... and I want to hear the crowd's reaction. Can you download or watch the entire conference somewhere? I don't see it on GT

Some of us had to work while everything was streaming :(

Vinci

Danish
Liquid said:
the bitter tears in this thread taste awesome :lol

Only the ones where they're blatantly ignoring this industry's history and marking this as some herald of S-E's end. I mean, what the hell - were they asleep during the PS1 generation?

genjiZERO said:
I think multiplatform development is analogous to 'writing to the lowest common denominator'. Systems aren't the same, and programming necessarily isn't. If you're coding for two different languages you have to make sacrifices to one to make things work on another. If you're doing that you are limiting your 'pallet', and if you're limited on that than you're limited on what you can do with the overall presentation. Like I said, your favourite games may be multiplatform, but none of mine are and I'm convinced it was because they were tailor made for the console.

See Capcom and Resident Evil 5. Best looking game I've seen on either console and its multiplatform.

the chris

Muppet345 said:

What.jpg

Nif

Cdammen said:
At first I was surprised but then I realized that it's really not that surprising. I mean, it's a economically wise decision. Covering more formats = more money.

It's amazing that it took people this long to see the light. Engine that works on multiple platforms, larger install base on other platforms, why not? :D

Zoe

BruceLeeRoy said:
The only reason to be pissed is

A. You bought a PS3 solely for FFXIII and already own a Xbox
B. Playstation fans who have held Final Fantasy long synonymous with Sony and only Sony and
are taking this thing as a huge hurt to their pride.

C. The game will possibly be gimped because of having to conform to work identically (more or less) on both consoles.

jeremy1456

BruceLeeRoy said:
Totally disagree.
This is no MGS4 people in Japan have been waiting forever for FFXIII it is constantly at the top of Famitsu's
Most anticipated games section.

FF titles normally drop off the charts after 2 - 3 weeks, the series is probably the most frontloaded in all of Japan.

I'm not saying that FFXIII couldn't, in theory, perform differently than past iterations but I doubt it will.

Zoe said:
C. The game will possibly be gimped because of having to conform to work identically (more or less) on both consoles.

EEEHHH yeah that would suck.
I love how Square refused to speculate on discs thats a great sign.

jeremy1456 said:
FF titles normally drop off the charts after 2 - 3 weeks, the series is probably the most frontloaded in all of Japan.

I'm not saying that FFXIII couldn't, in theory, perform differently than past iterations but I doubt it will.

Really? Does anyone have the sales numbers for FFXII in Japan I could have swore it was insane.

zoku88

Zoe said:
But that shouldn't happen if the PS3 is finished before work on the 360 is started. I mean, they wouldn't know what to gimp.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
AniHawk said:
Bigger than MGS and Naughty Dog games at any rate. Aside from GT, it was the PS3's biggest remaining exclusive.
But that's including the 60% FF sales which come from Japan, where it is still exclusive.

soul

So here's the official English text from the trailer... GT recorded the English version;

Cocoon - A paradise crafted by the inscrutable fal'Cie some thirteen centuries past"

Pulse - A vast world stretching out beneath the floating shell of Cocoon, and the source of lurking menace

The summoned - Salvation of the ill-fated l'Cie.

l'Cie - Those marked by the fal'Cie for a greater destiny

The future belongs not to those who wait...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
man every time i post a new post and i get directed to it, i gasp and say "BJORK IS BACK"... i just keep forgetting that i changed my avatar.

every.time.entire.day.

i need to get some coffee

the chris said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

OMG GOLD

duckroll

Zoe said:

Yeah, because Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 look so much worse..... right? :p

-Rogue5-

commariodore64 said:
I kind of disagree. Many have waited to pick up a PS3 just for FF13 - now, they can rest easy purchasing a less expensive console with a large library and play JRPG's right now until FF13 comes out.... logically speaking...

Are you assuming they already have a 360? I'm talking about casual gamers who haven't gotten either system yet -- they make up the majority and I just don't think this will be a deciding factor in their console purchase decisions.

As for cost; unless you're getting an Arcade (which is kind of pointless) the difference is negligible. I'd argue that the "Only 50 more dollars for a Blu-Ray player and free online" logic would be more substantial (for core or casual gamers, really).

Feep

Banned
Muppet345 said:
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Yeah, you're an idiot. This has been done before, numerous times, without major incident. CONSUMERS were not betrayed, and clearly you underestimate their rabid demand for Final Fantasy. Stop being a pretentious prick.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
zoku88 said:
But that shouldn't happen if the PS3 is finished before work on the 360 is started. I mean, they wouldn't know what to gimp.

That's true. And for this, I am glad. NOW ANNOUNCE A RELEASE DATE FOR JAPAN, DAMNIT.

Muppet345

Rahxephon91 said:
Yes because FFVII sold so bad.
You are delusional if you think these situations are comparable. Nintendo and Sony are both Japanese companies. Microsoft is American. Why do you think the 360 has failed so bad while the PS3 was starting to make a comeback before this backstab? I am praying Sony will recover from this, because Square certainly isn't.

jeremy1456 said:

How better to fix the problem than to introduce it to a large new userbase that may or may not have been burnt out by the last 3 sequals...

Nolan.

BocoDragon said:
Hey... if people want to say that "I don't like games" when I look at the current list of PS3 exclusives and see nothing I like.. that's fine... But isn't it plain as day that the types of exclusive games which PS3 now carries are completely different than what PlayStation used to cater to?

I liked PlayStation because I got the best from SE, Konami, Capcom, Namco, Sega, with other quirky titles I had never heard of to pad the lineup out... but now it seems like we are only getting a few random titles I've never heard of with none of the big name titles exclusive. These new franchises might be good, but I havent played them. I'm certainly not that excited about any of them. MGS4 was the biggest dog on the block... but that's now in the past.

The 360.. on the other hand... which i had no emotional interest in when it first started, has some exclusive jRPGs, it scored some PS-only franchises exclusively, it has all the former PS-only franchises which are now multiplatform, it has the whole western game developer/PC-style world scooped up, XBLA has a bunch of exciting exclusive games while PSN has almost nothing.

If anything I was biased toward Sony. I actually downright hated Xbox at first, and at the beginning of the 360 I thought it was kind of a joke.

Now 360 looks like the new PS2, while PS3 is the new Xbox 1. The latter has a bunch of games that, while probably good, I don't really find myself a gushing fanboy over at all. The 360 seems to have snapped up most of the big fan properties from east and west.

I'm sure the PS3's lineup of unknowns titles are good... but then again, so is the iPhone's game lineup. Or the Saturn. Or Gamecube. The point is that it's not even near a must-have for many types of people anymore.

Thank you boco for taking the time to write that up. I have been skeptical about a lot of sony's direction this gen with games. The shooter over populating to combat Ms. Then there's the obvious lack of rpg's in their catalogue which is one of the things I loved about my ps2. Or rpg's aside why are they spending huge amounts on flashy projects with no depth. This I doubt is the end of them for this gen. Though i'm not as positive.

Zoe

zoku88 said:

That just means it could be the 360 version getting gimped rather than the PS3 version.

Zoe

duckroll said:
Yeah, because Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 look so much worse..... right? :p

I'm not necessarily saying that those are bad. I just believe that games tailor-made for specific systems have a better chance of churning out a better product.

FFXIII is already in danger of looking dated anyway...

-Rogue5- said:
Are you assuming they already have a 360? I'm talking about casual gamers who haven't gotten either system yet -- they make up the majority and I just don't think this will be a deciding factor in their console purchase decisions.

As for cost; unless you're getting an Arcade (which is kind of pointless) the difference is negligible. I'd argue that the "Only 50 more dollars for a Blu-Ray player and free online" logic would be more substantial (for core or casual gamers, really).
Read my post ...
purchasing a less expensive console with a large library and play JRPG's right now until FF13 comes out
I'm talking about gamers waiting to purchase a system - ones that want to play games...

Awntawn

Zoe said:
I don't think it's so much of this as it is a disappointing reality check that FFXIII is not going to be the game to unlock PS3's rumored secret hidden magic sauce, if ever one were to be made.

Though it is possible that holding to a simultaneous launch may cause delays, but considering that's hardly SE's natural way of doing things as we can see with The Last Remnant, they probably wouldn't do that for FFXIII unless there really was some deal or agreement made.

zoku88

Zoe said:
That just means it could be the 360 version getting gimped rather than the PS3 version.
That's true, but it's a Final Fantasy game, not some shooter. I doubt anything will be gimped...

Shearie

You are delusional if you think these situations are comparable. Nintendo and Sony are both Japanese companies. Microsoft is American. Why do you think the 360 has failed so bad while the PS3 was starting to make a comeback before this backstab? I am praying Sony will recover from this, because Square certainly isn't.

It took 13 games (well, not really) to finally get there but FFXIII will TRULY be the FINAL Fantasy of SE!

Kolgar said:
Don Mattick's smile when Wata taps him on the shoulder and says "Don, I do have one more BIG announcement to share," is so awesome. :lol

The "tap heard round the world"

thetap.jpg

That was such a "No Fucking WAY" moment.... bravo to the MS team for finishing in such a cocky manner.

Guy Legend

CosmicGroinPull said:
Wow, Sony really fucked up this gen.

They won an entire format war that will pay dividends to them for years and are seeing their console post good sales numbers. They fucked up initially, but have recovered nicely. FFXIII makes for an impressive gain for Microsoft, but it's not going to make a big impact on Sony at the end of the day.

Squash

BruceLeeRoy said:
I love how people are going so insane over this.

FFXIII coming to 360 is not nearly the massive deal people are making it out to be.

-Final Fantasy does the most damage in Japan and where 13 is releasing still exclusively
on Ps3 it will sell a fu@#$ ton of units.

-If GTA4 a far more popular franchise didn't move either PS3 or 360 sales ahead of
each other than FFXIII sure as hell is not going to either.

-With that in mind in North America at least they simply cancel each other out. Which sucks for
Sony huge and is a massive win for Microsoft here but not nearly the catastrophe you people
are making it out to be.

B. Playstation fans who have held Final Fantasy long synonymous with Sony and only Sony and

C. Having to wait longer for a North American release due to porting.

The thing I am most curious though is how this will sell on 360. Will it do a lot better or relatively the same as the other 360 rpgs like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

Vinci

Danish
Sage00 said:
But that's including the 60% FF sales which come from Japan, where it is still exclusive.

The question is, will they jump on the system for a FF game the way MGS's fanbase did for it? I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. I think MGS will have pushed more systems within its launch period than FF will. FF fans are far more casual than MGS ones are.

Guy Legend said:
They won an entire format war that will pay dividends to them for years and are seeing their console post good sales numbers.

There is no way to know how this is going to benefit them at this stage though. People keep bringing it up, but it's not a guarantee of anything. When it starts to pay off, then yeah, people can tout it as 'Sony was so smart, hahahaha!' - but until then, it's just another reason they fucked up so royally this time in this particular industry. And I still don't get why people question Wii owners for being happy that Nintendo is making money when they root for Sony winning a format war that had zero to do with games.

Cdammen

dmshaposv said:
SERIOUS BETRAYLATON.

I bought sony's fucking console for this. FUCK YOU Square.
So? It doesn't magically disappear on that format because it's simultaneously releasing on Xbox 360. Overreactions seems to be NeoGAF's fuel :p

Squash said:
C. Having to wait longer for a North American release due to porting.

The thing I am most curious though is how this will sell on 360. Will it do a lot better or relatively the same as the other 360 rpgs like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

It will sell a lot more than that IMO. A lot of 360 owners will buy it, well, because its Final Fantasy.

soldat7

BruceLeeRoy said:
I love how people are going so insane over this.

FFXIII coming to 360 is not nearly the massive deal people are making it out to be.

-Final Fantasy does the most damage in Japan and where 13 is releasing still exclusively
on Ps3 it will sell a fu@#$ ton of units.

-If GTA4 a far more popular franchise didn't move either PS3 or 360 sales ahead of
each other than FFXIII sure as hell is not going to either.

-With that in mind in North America at least they simply cancel each other out. Which sucks for
Sony huge and is a massive win for Microsoft here but not nearly the catastrophe you people
are making it out to be.

The Playstation brand is becoming more and more damaged with each passing exclusive title. This hurts Sony big time, can't spin that.

-Rogue5-

commariodore64 said:
Read my post ...
purchasing a less expensive console with a large library and play JRPG's right now until FF13 comes out
I'm talking about gamers waiting to purchase a system - ones that want to play games...

I think a lot of people in here, including you, are forgetting that the vast majority of games are crossplatform. What JRPGs are you talking about specifically? LO and BD? And if these people were waiting for FFXIII to get a PS3, why not wait for FFXIII to get the 360?

I don't think this will cause that much of a boost in 360 sales; only hinder PS3 sales around the time of the FFXIII launch.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Muppet345 said:
:lol
You, sir, are hilarious.

Guy Legend said:
They won an entire format war that will pay dividends to them for years and are seeing their console post good sales numbers. They fucked up initially, but have recovered nicely. FFXIII makes for an impressive gain for Microsoft, but it's not going to make a big impact on Sony at the end of the day.
As a multi platform gamer - how is it Sony has pulled themselves out nicely?
Other than MGS4 my PS3 is a BluRay player as of the 7th month of this year (the year of the PS3)...

genjiZERO

Jamesfrom818 said:
See Capcom and Resident Evil 5. Best looking game I've seen on either console and its multiplatform.

RE5 isn't even out yet, so thus far it's only a potential game. I can't remember the last Capcom game that I thought was golden and immortal. Maybe RE4, but even it was developed for GC and then ported to PS2; that's not the same as co-development multiplatform (which is what I'm talking about).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom