• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII confirmed for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneHeero

sphinx said:
I swear, no bullshit, I was considering the purchase of a PS3 exactly for this very game... but I already own a 360.... :(... sad.

I wanted sony to make me want to get a PS3 but I don't trust them in the least, they lost every single major IP from last gen I cared about, no way MGS4 stays exclusive.

now, please somebody please tell me...something seems fishy here....

Is it absolutely impossible that the game will have turned into a 3 way multiplatform game?... I have this strong feeling inside that "FFXIII on Wii" will be announced tomorrow... ( please don't ban me, it's just a feeling ) SE knows they have a fanbase they have to "direct" in some way, they have to tell their fans where to go and then proceed to stablish themselves, like when they moved from nintendo to sony with FF7, if FFXIII is like "the bridge to reach a new town" would they move to miscosoft over nintendo??? I don't think so...
:lol :lol

the things people say when something like this happens!! LOL

Ohh man, MS better hire The Muppet Master as their JP culture 'expert' so they can get that niche market in Japan that they always wanted... oh wait..

that is POST OF THE YEAR

All sony fanboys should link to that post... holy shit.. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Liquid

Banned
well atleast they still have bluray OH WAIT

nielsen_070608.jpg

Rpgmonkey

duckroll said:
Yes. This announcement changes nothing, he could still be right. If he's wrong.... steps will be taken to appease the gods.

Well, I'd love to join in these steps if he's wrong. :D

Jinfash said:
(neutral) Muppet345
Honor & Shame Expert
(Today, 01:54 AM)
Reply | Quote

:lol

Nolan.

Greatness Gone said:
My purchase of a PS3 is still justified, mainly because of Team Ico's stuff and MGS4. Also, where was the Alan Wake stuff?

Not coming this year so they won't show it I don't think. I think it's going to have it's turn next year. I hope so anyway, that and cry-on.

besada

Banned
Greatness Gone said:
My purchase of a PS3 is still justified, mainly because of Team Ico's stuff and MGS4. Also, where was the Alan Wake stuff?

Pixeljunk Monsters was worth $500 to me. I've probably logged more hours playing it than any single other game than Oblivion and Shadowrun.

ronito

Muppet345 said:
You people misinterpret me.

It is not americans who will care about this change. I am personally importing the game from Osaka (the game will help the language classes i'm starting next semester), it's the Japanese people who will refuse to buy the game. And when the japanese don't buy it, square can't make games for the americans anymore. By catering to the americans Square is ending themselves.
Totally happened when they switched from Nintendo to Sony!

genjiZERO

My interest in the game just really dropped. I could list all of my favourite games and none of them would be multiplatform. I think multiplatform makes for generic gaming, and I think generic gaming experiences have been pervasive this generation. This is particularly true of SE who haven't done anything to wow me since FF10.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ymmv said:
Gran Turismo 5
Tekken 6
Valkyria Chronicles
LittleBIgPlanet
Killzone 2
Resistance 2
Motor Storm 2
White Knight Chronicles
Infamous
Heavy Rain
Uncharted 2
Team Ico title
Socom
Wipeout HD
God of War 3
Final Fantasy vs XIII (somewhere in time)

There's still a lot of fun stuff coming out. The loss of FFXIII as a PS3 exclusive is a very big blow, but they've still got their own great exclusives just like MS.
Tekken 6 and Wipeout HD is all I care about...

Liquid said:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadgethd.com/media/2008/07/nielsen_070608.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Jesus christ you're a terrible poster. Grow up you're ruining my fun in here.

Now where were we? Oh yeah, Muppet please go on.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Liquid said:

nielsen_070608.jpg
Still mad over the fact that Microsoft totally abandoned HD-DVD?

Opiate

I'm surprised anyone thinks this is a moneyhat. Companies have not made Playstation exclusives because they love Sony so much; in the past, Sony has been in a dominant userbase position. That is no longer the case. DMC4 sold ~50% of its total LTD sales on the 360. The best example is GTA: GTA:SA sold ~16 million on the PS2, and ~2-3 million on the Xbox, meaning that ~80% of total sales of the game were on the Playstation system. In comparison GTA IV has sold nearly 66% of its total LTD sales on the 360, meaning that ~33% of total sales were on the Playstation system.

Microsoft doesn't need to moneyhat games like this -- it makes absolute financial sense to port this game to the 360. If the game had not been ported, then that would have required a moneyhat from Sony, because keeping it exclusive doesn't make sense (we can assume they moneyhatted MGS4, for example, as bundling a 3rd party game with your system is rare).

Times have changed, and Sony is no longer in a dominant market position to "deserve" 3rd party exclusives.

I love how people are going so insane over this.

FFXIII coming to 360 is not nearly the massive deal people are making it out to be.

-Final Fantasy does the most damage in Japan and where 13 is releasing still exclusively
on Ps3 it will sell a fu@#$ ton of units.

-If GTA4 a far more popular franchise didn't move either PS3 or 360 sales ahead of
each other than FFXIII sure as hell is not going to either.

-With that in mind in North America at least they simply cancel each other out. Which sucks for
Sony huge and is a massive win for Microsoft here but not nearly the catastrophe you people
are making it out to be.

The only reason to be pissed is

A. You bought a PS3 solely for FFXIII and already own a Xbox
B. Playstation fans who have held Final Fantasy long synonymous with Sony and only Sony and
are taking this thing as a huge hurt to their pride.

-Rogue5-

Is FFXIII a casual gamer game or a hardcore gamer game? I honestly don't know, but I kind of thought it was a pretty hardcore franchise, which would mean it's not as much of a system seller unless MS or Sony release a FFXIII bundle (since hardcore gamers probably already have their next-gen consoles).

Either way, I don't think this will cause an increase in 360 sales, it only serves to hinder PS3 sales (which is not the same.) I think Sony are still banking on the PS2 casual gamers to inevitably go to PS3 (which is very plausible). Saying that this gives MS a leg up for next-gen is a little too optimistic...

Muppet345 said:
You people misinterpret me.

It is not americans who will care about this change. I am personally importing the game from Osaka (the game will help the language classes i'm starting next semester), it's the Japanese people who will refuse to buy the game. And when the japanese don't buy it, square can't make games for the americans anymore. By catering to the americans Square is ending themselves.
7y7zv3t.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hey... if people want to say that "I don't like games" when I look at the current list of PS3 exclusives and see nothing I like.. that's fine... But isn't it plain as day that the types of exclusive games which PS3 now carries are completely different than what PlayStation used to cater to?

I liked PlayStation because I got the best from SE, Konami, Capcom, Namco, Sega, with other quirky titles I had never heard of to pad the lineup out... but now it seems like we are only getting a few random titles I've never heard of with none of the big name titles exclusive. These new franchises might be good, but I havent played them. I'm certainly not that excited about any of them. MGS4 was the biggest dog on the block... but that's now in the past.

The 360.. on the other hand... which i had no emotional interest in when it first started, has some exclusive jRPGs, it scored some PS-only franchises exclusively, it has all the former PS-only franchises which are now multiplatform, it has the whole western game developer/PC-style world scooped up, XBLA has a bunch of exciting exclusive games while PSN has almost nothing.

If anything I was biased toward Sony. I actually downright hated Xbox at first, and at the beginning of the 360 I thought it was kind of a joke.

Now 360 looks like the new PS2, while PS3 is the new Xbox 1. The latter has a bunch of games that, while probably good, I don't really find myself a gushing fanboy over at all. The 360 seems to have snapped up most of the big fan properties from east and west.

I'm sure the PS3's lineup of unknowns titles are good... but then again, so is the iPhone's game lineup. Or the Saturn. Or Gamecube. The point is that it's not even near a must-have for many types of people anymore.

but did the forum have to meltdown over this annnouncement? anyways, i'm still happy with my PS3 (uncharted, MGS4 , etc) is FF even that hot of a seller anymore?

Don said:
:lol at the end of the trailer.

"for playstation 3 only in japan"
Is it just me, or does it seem like that was originally supposed to be a trailer for a ps3-exclusive FFXIII, but then they worked out a deal a few days ago, threw in "in Japan" and showed it as MS's conference?

Honestly, it has no mention of the 360 ANYWHERE in the trailer. But it does mention the ps3. At Microsoft's conference. It seems very suspicious to me.

Xeke

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:

FFXIII coming to 360 is not nearly the massive deal people are making it out to be.

-Final Fantasy does the most damage in Japan and where 13 is releasing still exclusively

But the PS3 is for all intents and purposes irrelevant in Japan. This game will provide a bump for 2 or 3 weeks but that's all...

:lol :lol @ Crushed's IGN link:
The reality is I shouldn't hate them for this. Microsoft did what they felt they needed to do in concern for their place in the video game industry and so did Square-Enix. I don't care though, emotions don't work that way. Right now I hate them and hope they die. I have these thoughts about them that I won't go into detail here. Usually I don't allow myslef to show too much emotion in my posts in how I actually feel about things of this nature, but this was like every bone was being ripped out of my body when I saw the end of that press conference. I knew it right away when I saw the Square-Enix boss come back up. I knew something was going to happen and I knew I was going to hate it. I knew that I wasn't going to be able to look at Final Fantasy XIII info for a while without cringing. I'll get over it some time, maybe tomorrow after I sleep on it, maybe not, whatever. It's seriously not that big of a deal and I will rationalize this whole debacle at some point while sitting, thinking to myself.

I'm not a fanboy. I am a fan of Sony Playstation and their products. I don't care what people say, but I do have a certain loyalty to a console maker who I've known for their great franchises and consoles for over a decade. I admit that. I want to see them do well, just like a fan of anything wants to see that thing do well. But I don't let it cloud my thoughts against other console makers. My thoughts and feelings can't change the reality of a situation which is why that's just stupid. I say the truth, supported by facts.

As FFXIII goes as a game, I also feel that this disrupts the development process. The power that the PS3 possesses over the XBOX 360 will not be fully realized in this game because the XBOX 360 will bring it down. ANd just the fact that they're now working on 2 consoles is a blow to development.

I've always felt a distaste for Microsoft, I've never been afraid admit that. Many of my posts here have been about that. I hate their method of business, and I hate how they put out some **** products such as the XBOXs. It's just totally disrespectful to put out something so faulty like the XBOX 360. I wish they didn't exist, at least not in the console video game industry. But it's always been more about the fanboys that get me. I didn't hate the XBOX 360 as much as some people liked to portray me. I hate Halo, but I don't hate every XBOX 360 exclusive franchise. I don't hate any franchise just because it's on a particular. I give praise when it is due. But I will also admit that I'll also admit I have no not to give as much praise to some XBOX franchises just because of how overrated I was seeing them onhere. I was just so disgusted with the fanboyism agains the PS3 and Sony. This is why I've felt the need to be so aggressive, even to the point people may feel that I've been a dick(which I don't actually care). I'm going to say what I feel needs to be said, that's what the internet is for.

People don't like a lot of things that I say, or the way I go about spreading my thoughts and feelings. I don't really care, as I've said this forum is a place for you to convey your thoughts and beliefs. I say what I feel on anything and I don't have to care about how anyone feels about it. The fact that people get angry at some of the things I say isn't a reason for me to stop saying what I feel. I don't care how people feel about me in real life when I say how I feel about certain topics. It probably makes me look like a dick or whatever, but I'm not going to worry about how other people feel on the internet especially.

I don't feel my opinion is worth more than anyone else's here. I don't think that people should care about what I say just because it's me. But I will call out stupidity, and there's a point when opinion isn't just red v. blue. They have certain standards that need to be attained when categorizing them into how good they are.

I'm aware of the fact that there are a lot of users on this board who don't like me. But at the same time much of it is just bandwagon hate because of a sheep/high school mentality many users on the Vesti have. I joke around a lot and make a lot more useless spam threads than I used to. I make more posts about anime than I used to. People don't like that, and for some reason to take it to a level of seriousness that they shouldn't. But if I stop just because they don't like it, they would. I can't allow anyone else to control me. I control myself. I feel that there is a lot of hypocrisy and double standards based off this bandwagon hate against me. I can make a thread and people will get angry(or at least act as if they are) despite the fact someone else could make it and nobody would care. And for some reason people feel they have some sort of say in what can be posted here. They rule nothing.

I've seen over the last several months the fanboyism go down much against the PS3. Obviously it's seen a big increase in sales over the last several months and seen price drops and amazing games like Metal Gear Solid 4. I haven't felt the need to be so agressive when it comes to the consoles and the console wars. I don't have to call out every fanboy because he said something that was wrong. And really, it's just gotten to the point where I don't want to always post about video games. I can just sit back and post about other things and post about the consoles whenever I feel the need to.

Final Fantasy is probably me favorite video game series of all time. This won't change. My feelings for the Playstation brand are nothing when it compares to what I feel about games. I've had some of my greatest experiences on Final Fantasy games and I love them. I care about the games first and foremost, and that's what I will always care about because that's what matters.

But seriously, this is nowhere near the end of PS3 or Sony. I laugh when I saw the thread about "I'm selling my PS3". The great thing about them is that there lineup hasn't been just about FF. It's been about a multitude of great titles. God of War III, Tekken 6, Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy Versus. These are all just the headliners of an amazing Playstation 3 lineup still. The PS3 is also about it's extremely strong hardware in comparsion to other consoles(XBOX 360 fail rate 33-40%) and it's featues such as Blu-Ray. It's still a much better buy thnan any other console on the market because of it's value. This won't change, and I still see the PS3 outselling the XBOX 360 by a wide margin whe it comes down to it. Not to mention we haven't see Sony's E3 yet. People want to say they're down(when they're not), yet they still have another day tommorow and a lot of stuff to show.

I really don't want to be on the earth right nowanymore. I'm not specifically talking suicide(even though I feel that way somewhat), but I need to get into another world. Like a dream, a video game, or television show etc. I need to do something to get my mind of all of this. Am I taking it way too seriously? Probably, but I, like every human lacks any type of control over their emotions. This is just how I feel And right now I'm so emotionally unstable that I just felt the need to type all of this and I don't care how it looks.

Maybe I'll come back tomorrow and watch Sony/Nintendo's e3 conference, maybe I won't come back. At this point none of that is dominating my thoughts right now. I have other things on my mind, obviously. I'd just rather get some sleep at this point(which I've yet to do) and make it go away.

kthxbi

The Chef

BruceLeeRoy said:

-If GTA4 a far more popular franchise didn't move either PS3 or 360 sales ahead of
each other than FFXIII sure as hell is not going to either.

-With that in mind in North America at least they simply cancel each other out. Which sucks for
Sony huge and is a massive win for Microsoft here but not nearly the catastrophe you people
are making it out to be.

The only reason to be pissed is

A. You bought a PS3 solely for FFXIII and already own a Xbox
B. Playstation fans who have held Final Fantasy long synonymous with Sony and only Sony and
are taking this thing as a huge hurt to their pride.

So so true.

AniHawk

evil solrac v3.0 said:
but did the forum have to meltdown over this annnouncement? anyways, i'm still happy with my PS3 (uncharted, MGS4 , etc) is FF even that hot of a seller anymore?

Bigger than MGS and Naughty Dog games at any rate. Aside from GT, it was the PS3's biggest remaining exclusive.

-Rogue5- said:
My question is this -- is FFXIII a casual gamer game or a hardcore gamer game? I honestly don't know, but I kind of thought it was a pretty hardcore franchise, which would mean it's not as much of a system seller unless MS or Sony release a FFXIII bundle (since hardcore gamers probably already have their next-gen consoles).

Either way, I don't think this will cause an increase in 360 sales, it only serves to hinder PS3 sales (which is does not have the same effect.) First to $199 will win this generation (or be second to Wii or whatever).

I kind of disagree. Many have waited to pick up a PS3 just for FF13 - now, they can rest easy purchasing a less expensive console with a large library and play JRPG's right now until FF13 comes out.... logically speaking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom