• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.
I find this to be an issue with meat popular games in last few years. It’s all tuned to be souls streamer difficulty. People who play games constantly.

And it’s so tiresome. Ff16 had somewhat better difficulty curve on normal and was a game I didn’t feel the need to lower the difficulty. Hogwarts was also god this way. And both of these are criticised for being too easy which is mad since they were just right and actually playable without swearing like many new gestures are. It’s like good enjoyable design is thrown out of the window in order to appease difficulty masochists
I think normal mode is too easy. Imo Rebirth has got a great combat system that people don't learn the intricacies of because when you run into trouble, you can still muddle through and pull off the win anyway, which leads to difficulty spikes later because players don't even know what it is they aren't doing right.

My first playthrough of remake I barely understood the combat - because I didn't need to. When I went back to play it on hard mode before rebirth came out I was surprised to realise for the first time that the combat is actually really awesome when I forced to understand it to win

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think normal mode is too easy. Imo Rebirth has got a great combat system that people don't learn the intricacies of because when you run into trouble, you can still muddle through and pull off the win anyway, which leads to difficulty spikes later because players don't even know what it is they aren't doing right.

My first playthrough of remake I barely understood the combat - because I didn't need to. When I went back to play it on hard mode before rebirth came out I was surprised to realise for the first time that the combat is actually really awesome when I forced to understand it to win
It’s not rocket science. I understand everything. Missing a spell or two is not a problem. Normal enemies are super easy and late chapter bosses are too hard. The game does not prepare you for this.

And I don’t have to be a pro to finish a game. How the hell normal casuals finish this on normal. Easy is too easy but normal is way too hard.

Last edited:

Maddoxswe

I don't agree with his claim that FF16 was better to play but he's absolutely correct that nostalgia goggles are putting in a lot of work with the game.

I enjoyed the hell out of it (especially the music) but if we take the FF7 title off it people would be (rightfully) shitting on it for open world repetition and "Ubisoft-style" open world tropes (like towers to 'discover' map locations). A large portion of this game is pure padding. Most of it is enjoyable, sure. Doesn't make it any less padding.
why even think like that ? It's a final fantasy game that is very very good. So if we remove the name from the game it's still a very good game.

It’s not rocket science. I understand everything. Missing a spell or two is not a problem. Normal enemies are super easy and late chapter bosses are too hard. The game does not prepare you for this.

And I don’t have to be a pro to finish a game. How the hell normal casuals finish this on normal. Easy is too easy but normal is way too hard.
I understand it as well, but I'm not dying to the chapter bosses at all. I can explain the way I approach battles if you're interested, but I won't bother you if you aren't. I would like some version of hard mode available from the get go but dynamic will have to do.

Psychostar

I’m heart broken. I’ve been trying to plat the game and at 175hrs I hit my first bug and it’s game breaking. The UPA side quest can’t be completed no matter how many times I win at G-Bike. :( quest won’t progress and other than him, all I have left to do is the last protorelic challenges.

Emppu666

Neo Member
I’m heart broken. I’ve been trying to plat the game and at 175hrs I hit my first bug and it’s game breaking. The UPA side quest can’t be completed no matter how many times I win at G-Bike. :( quest won’t progress and other than him, all I have left to do is the last protorelic challenges.
If you have physical version uninstall and then install game without patch.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Man. I just came across a visual beauty on My way to Mt. Coral.

GJYfqYebEAADizU

Raven117

And you are absolutely right. Everyone got blinded by 30fps debate lol woke the game got serious story and gameplay problems.
16 is a honest effort to do new different game and it avoided that open world tedious crap.
I mean, let’s be perfectly fair, the way the side quests presented wasn’t too great. Story started really strong, but fizzled a bit, but overall, as you said, it tried something different and way by and large successful. And I found my self less annoyed playing it.

Boneless

Chapter 9, still really enjoying it. I do wish they thought a bit harder on how to set the right atmosphere, for example:

- When you reach a serious part and the music kicks in (like in Gongaga when you
head to the reactor
) but you pull up a chocobo stop or activate a tower, you're sucked right out of the moment as it overrules the existing music and plays this happy silly tune. FF7 OG already did this really well, in somber parts of the game for example, even the overworld theme would carry that music to keep you in that atmosphere. Things like this are not hard to do, so it feels like they haven't given it too much thought.
- The new remixes wash out the original punchy ness of the music

Oof, Chapter 11 is awful.

Slowly walking around throwing boxes at switches as Cait Sith is not a good time.

Then when they think you finally figured out the shit controls, they make it more complicated to further torture you. Then the one-on-one fights... Thankfully it's back to greatness after this, and even chapter 11 ends on a real high note, so stick with it!

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Man the loss in image quality you take in performance mode is huge. I switched to graphics mode and the game looks so much better in every way. The 30fps doesnt feel as bad as the demo did on graphics mode so i wonder if they did something in the recent patches to improve it. Either way, im staying on graphics mode....the game is just too gorgeous not to.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
So I hate the chadkey stuff. Towers and all that stuff and then him talking and more towers to more check boxes. I basically only do the summon stuff to maximize it.
i am in Casmo canyon and I enjoy the flying stuff.

I do like qb. And the story.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Why is it that I just cannot fathom Queens Blood out? I get the logic don’t let them get across the board but once I’ve got to like level 3 players I’m just totally out of my depth. It’s not about winning better cards because I’m stuck in that loop. Everyone is at least level 3 so cannot win the cards. I’ve purchased all available cards in shops up to this point.

Yes I know you can skip it but I don’t understand how I’m just so dog shit awful at this game.

Last edited:

Boneless

Why is it that I just cannot fathom Queens Blood out? I get the logic don’t let them get across the board but once I’ve got to like level 3 players I’m just totally out of my depth. It’s not about winning better cards because I’m stuck in that loop. Everyone is at least level 3 so cannot win the cards. I’ve purchased all available cards in shops up to this point.

Yes I know you can skip it but I don’t understand how I’m just so dog shit awful at this game.

Play aggressive to allow you to take the middle row, however, allow the enemy to take middle row first (as in, they own it but dont have a card on it). Then place your card on your second row to take the middle row.

If you want to further destroy them, then you get archdragon in your deck and play that middle row, and then another one on the card you destroyed to completely own the row.
DDs8bUY.jpg

Last edited:

How's your deck? Try and get a bunch of level 1 cards that allow forward movement. The shrina soldier is always a good starting card.

Don't worry about getting a score just focus on stopping the other player. You don't need to worry about the back line as you can usually place your own cards in front. Once you've got the middle part of the board then you can load up on points with the level 2 and 3 cards.

Try not to worry about winning and just experiment with different cards and see what works.

It's RNG based on what cards you get. Sometimes I would lose multiple times on easier players and then beat harder players first try because I got the right cards earlier.

Later you get a bunch of powerful cards that make winning easy. Honestly I preferred it when I was losing more as that was more interesting😅😅

Nitty_Grimes

Can we talk about Regina on the boat then?

Drops level 7, 8 and 9 cards onto the board. I cannot compete with those there is nothing in my deck remotely close.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Btw, people surprised about linking the elemental materia should know about synergy materia, link it to a materia like fire or ice and the character with it will cast the basic spell automatically at no mp cost when you use an ability on an enemy with a different character. Great for Aerith who does good damage even with low level spells.

Synergy was worthless in OG Remake. Because it costs ATB and MP and only tier 1.

But since Intermission Synergy materia costs no MP and no ATB either, its a free cast.
It's really not. Take a look at the distance between Kalm and the Chocobo Farm on the original world map and compare it to the size of Midgar. If you were to scale The Grasslands to the size of Midgar in Remake, the grasslands would need to be ten times that size to give it the proper scale. Rebirth makes the world map feel like an island chain and it's not helped by having the same few assets (Chocobo Stops and store interiors) reused everywhere.

Because it's distracting and immersion-breaking and makes the game feel more like an FFVII theme park than an actual game. Why does every zone have a Moogle House with the same mini-game? The exact same Chocobo Stops, Comms Towers and exactly three caves containing Deity Crystals? Because this isn't attempting to be a cohesive world, it's designed to be artificial - a theme park full of FFVII-brand side activities that don't really interact or expand upon the original source material, so much as rebrand all of its popular content for a general audience. It's cynical and shallow - they could have filled the world with unique stories and locations that engage more directly with the original themes, but they chose to fill it with trivial distractions that add so little to the world that ignoring them might actually make for a better game.

Imagine a version of the game where instead of Mog Houses being stamped all over the map as vendors, they'd created an entire Moogle Village hidden deep in some forest off the beaten track (a place you have to discover) - a place with loads of optional side quests, cool stories, new characters and weapons to collect? What if Avalanche or Wutai's spy network had been expanded into an actual faction, with other competing factions and quests that could influence the outcome, or provide equipment, armor or additional skill trees? The kind of crazy side content that actually adds to the story. No, we're offered instead the golden opportunity to scan the same rock with the same simplistic mini-game about thirty times.

I agree its very phoned in. Like summons, you dont find them in an optional area like you could pick up Titan, Odin or Alexander in OG. I like the divine crystals weakening the enemy, but then i would've liked finding this enemy somewhere on the map instead of just going to Chadley who is way overused and feels like lazy design.

Enemy skills were fun to get in OG, and even in Remake. But here its just a VR reward.

And yet you are scanning dozens of crystals. And while its fun in grasslands still, it already becomes grating in Junon. And then in Corel, Gongaga etc is the same 30 quests all over. Even with the same amount of each one. I'd probably merge grasslands and junon effectively halving the errands. I would cut the mog houses, I think no one enjoys this one. And remove the towers and go for exploration. Its not hard to find on your own. Especially not when their numbers are cut down.

The NPC quests and card quest line are pretty good. Honestly it would've been fine with me if there was just this along with perhaps some hidden areas, treasures and hunts with good rewards. The hunts itself are fine. The game is better if you ignore a lot, which luckily is possible ofcourse. You can sort of play it like the original by finding a chocobo, crossing the mines, go straight for Junon etc.

Markio128

I’m up to chapter 10 now, but I haven’t progressed the main story yet because I thought I’d better go back and complete some of the earlier areas/missions - I found the bosses in CH.9 pretty tough. Grasslands and Junon 100% (yes even the fort mini game) but I still have a few of Chad’s VR missions to complete.

I’m spending some time considering equipment and materia, but I know that I should be spending more time figuring out the best materia for my team. I’m saving this for a hard play-through at some point.

I think I’m at around 50 hours overall and still loving my time with it. There have been a few moments in the game that have made me genuinely laugh - Yuffie’s ‘bored’ song being one of them.

EDIT: Oh, and I have to say that the Piano mini game is one of the best of its kind that I have ever played. When you get the rhythm down, it’s an awesome feeling.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What is the song that is played when you get to the destroyed reactor in Mt Corel just before spotting a
Weapon?

Thaedolus

Gold Member

Drops level 7, 8 and 9 cards onto the board. I cannot compete with those there is nothing in my deck remotely close.
I was bashing my head against the wall playing her, turned it off for the night, then took her down my first try the next morning. Worth not giving up for the next scene

SkylineRKR

You can beat her. The boat vendor sells all cards you need. You need to have some luck with draws but generally try to take the middle with security officers, archdrakes and crystal crabs etc. Then use your higher tier cards.

For early game you want to bait your enemy into making the middle tile red. So you can overtake it while the enemy cant because its cards are already placed next to it.

Last edited:

zapper

I'm on chapter 9, at the moment it's incredible, the pacing is excellent (although perhaps a little too carefree for the series but excellent for ff7), the combat is too satisfying even if I would have preferred a cleaner reading for the parries (same problem as the 7 remake), very nice minigames (unlike the yakuza ones which I always found poorly made), incredible music, beautifully environments and excellent character development. for now if I have to find some flaws it is that I preferred the development of the weapons of the 7 remake
and some inexplicable technical issues (assets with very few polygons and very low resolution textures even during the close-up cutscenes).

also the change of characters in the open areas is a bit too brutal, especially in the faces the lighting does a bad job and they seem "off".

for now 9/10

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Just started chapter 3 and I'm already 18 hours in.

It's gonna be a loooong ride.

Why can't other games do what this game does: if you hit the pause screen the time stops and doesn't count towards your total game time.

Nitty_Grimes

You can beat her. The boat vendor sells all cards you need. You need to have some luck with draws but generally try to take the middle with security officers, archdrakes and crystal crabs etc. Then use your higher tier cards.

For early game you want to bait your enemy into making the middle tile red. So you can overtake it while the enemy cant because its cards are already placed next to it.
Good to know. Got all the cards off the vendor on the boat.

Garibaldi

I weirdly smashed the living daylights out of all comers on the boat tournament.

Tooks me about 16 tries to beat the woman at the Crow's Nest in Junon though. Michelle or something I think she's called. The one who wants us to play Shinra at QB to resolve our issues. I think it's because she's the first real player to leverage destroying her own cards to empower others

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Chapter 11 is so bad it almost made me abandon the game. Good fucking lord.
For me, the game never picked up starting from redwtf13 boring dungeon. Then cait and then next grind after grind until the end.
And open world was already a chore before this. I don’t get these high scores

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Chapter 11 is so bad it almost made me abandon the game. Good fucking lord.

I don't know how you'll feel when you get there .. but by chapter 13 I was just checked out of the game and forcing my way through just for the story. It gets so repetitive and rote.

Duellist

Should have named this game Final Fantasy: Rebirth of the mini game. Shit is over the top and annoying as fuck. I can handle some but holy balls it’s like everything you do is a damn mini game.

Nitty_Grimes

Should have named this game Final Fantasy: Rebirth of the mini game. Shit is over the top and annoying as fuck. I can handle some but holy balls it’s like everything you do is a damn mini game.
It is frustrating as fuck and yeah you can skip them but this is the kind of game I'm one and done so will force myself through as many of them as possible to get the most enjoyment that I can in a single playthrough. This isn't the kind of game you'll play through several times when you have a quiet time in your life - at least not for me.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
For me, the game never picked up starting from redwtf13 boring dungeon. Then cait and then next grind after grind until the end.
And open world was already a chore before this. I don’t get these high scores
I stopped grinding the open world in Corel and never really looked back. Did some here and there but mostly focused on story content. The only thing that felt like a chore once I made that choice was a latter dungeon has you switching back and forth between parties and equipping Materia was a pain in the ass.

Doomtrain

Finished this last night. I wanted to love it, but it’s just so slow and bloated. There’s a great game buried somewhere in here, but it does everything in its power to hide it.

I love the combat, and of course the world and characters are classic. As with Remake, seeing these things brought up to modern standards is pretty magical at times. I just wish it wasn’t such a chore the rest of the time.

I also really wish the game kept more of the eerie, melancholy tone the original had. Chapter 11 is the perfect encapsulation of this, but you see it everywhere in the game.

I’d love to see:

• Most areas and dungeons cut in half
  • Faster movement animations and less being locked into animations in the field
  • Fewer forced minigames
  • A total removal of all the Ubisoft bullshit
  • Chadley launched into the sun
  • More meaningful side content that actually uses the core game mechanics. Optional dungeons and hunts and stuff

Last edited:

tmlDan

Seeing a ton of you say slow and bloated, and all i can think of is you all have ADHD.

Sit down, enjoy the heart, soul, and charm of every single region in this game.

I guess this is the internet generation, it's like people who can't just lie i the sun or watch the ocean waves crash against the shore. It's not a chore when it's beautiful and symbolic and meaningful and world building.

Last edited:
Seeing a ton of you say slow and bloated, and all i can think of is you all have ADHD.

Sit down, enjoy the heart, soul, and charm of every single region in this game.

I guess this is the internet generation, it's like people who can't just lie i the sun or watch the ocean waves crash against the shore. It's not a chore when it's beautiful and symbolic and meaningful and world building.
I do have ADHD and the game has been a delight. And I am kind of side eyeing people complaining about there being too much, or what most seem to agree is quality content. If you are here for these characters, the combat, the world, the soundtrack, etc. this game is all of that and then some in spades. It's hard to ask people if they are playing a game for the right reasons without sounding like an ass, but that's what I keep coming back to when reading this thread. People just want to be done as fast as possible, or say they experienced optional content even if they don't care for it.

How much further do I have?

I just got to Nibelheim and 100%'d the region, got Odin (that fight was pretty tough even on the easiest setting....I think I won by pure luck).

BTW - This Synergy Materia is insane - what are yall pairing it with? So far I am doing Comet.

Zelduh

I do have ADHD and the game has been a delight. And I am kind of side eyeing people complaining about there being too much, or what most seem to agree is quality content. If you are here for these characters, the combat, the world, the soundtrack, etc. this game is all of that and then some in spades. It's hard to ask people if they are playing a game for the right reasons without sounding like an ass, but that's what I keep coming back to when reading this thread. People just want to be done as fast as possible, or say they experienced optional content even if they don't care for it.

People consume videogames like junkfood these days, they just want to consume it quickly while the hypetrain is still going so they can move on to the next hype bandwagon to jump on and consume and feel like they're part of their favorite celebrity streamer's current paradigm

Last edited:

Boneless

Chapter 9, still really enjoying it. I do wish they thought a bit harder on how to set the right atmosphere, for example:

- When you reach a serious part and the music kicks in (like in Gongaga when you
head to the reactor
) but you pull up a chocobo stop or activate a tower, you're sucked right out of the moment as it overrules the existing music and plays this happy silly tune. FF7 OG already did this really well, in somber parts of the game for example, even the overworld theme would carry that music to keep you in that atmosphere. Things like this are not hard to do, so it feels like they haven't given it too much thought.
- The new remixes wash out the original punchy ness of the music

Another small annoyance, when you're in a hot pursuit scenario but Cloud will have to chill out on a bench for a bit to restore hp and mp

Synless

Another small annoyance, when you're in a hot pursuit scenario but Cloud will have to chill out on a bench for a bit to restore hp and mp
Are you really nit picking rest points that you don’t have to use?

1/3rd of this thread are people bitching about shit they don‘t have to do but because they have varying issues of collectathon or OCD tendencies….

Top Bottom