• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 final hands on previews are coming out

Draugoth

Gold Member
The last previews for Final Fantasy 16 come out today. They cover the first 10 hours of the game.

• It's mostly the opening but with some parts later in the game without context for exploration and combat
  • There's an air of confidence around the game, it feels finished compared to the messy previews of FF15 they had to play back then
  • The game is brutal, this is not a wholesome Final Fantasy, there are moments of genuine character warmth and humanity but FF16 is a bonafide dark fantasy game
  • Some question the identity of Final Fantasy in this one but everyone came out positive, they expect a backlash from fans but say it's still Final Fantasy at its soul.
  • Combat is extremely good and the DMC battle director really pays off, one had some issues in that they felt their combat kit wasn't big enough for the early-game preview.
  • Excellent VA and performance all around.
  • Eikon battles apparently feels bigger and more explosive than ever god of war
  • They all say that the opening hours deliver and they can attest that this part is solid

Blogposts:

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
On blackout for this until june 22nd.

bird box horror GIF by NETFLIX

llLeonhart

I think this game needs a midia blackout at this point. They're giving too much info. Either give us a Demo and be done with it all, or just plain stop posting videos related to it. The last state of play focusing on it was more than enough.

Last edited:
I like how many of the videos have the word shocking in it. Sadly, Im not in the market for a ps5 and will likely run into spoilers for it even if I try and avoid them.

Once upon a time, when I was in 5th grade, my friend and I were playing through FF7 at the same time. Ona e day, he called me randomly and said, "Oh my god, I was looking in the strategy guide and it showed a video where *spoiler?* dies!". That was pre lots of people having the internet. Someone spraypainted the big spoiler from the 6th harry potter book on a hangout area at my high school (I didnt care because I was apathetic about HP but whatever) Spoilers find a way.

Anyways, Im excited for it and happy that all you PS5 owners out there will be getting the first good non mmo final fantasy in 15-20 years. I hope you all have a fantastic time, and I also hope the pc port doesnt suck when it comes out lol

ToadMan

This is giving me the same feeling as the TOTK previews - I didn’t want crafting/building in zelda either.

Now with this? Its become a straight action “RPG”, when FF’s roots are RPG and turn based RPG in particular. FF7R was too much action focused already but at least tried to nod to turn based with it’s pausing mechanic.

Why are so many IPs trying to jump genres instead of developing and iterating on their core gameplay?

Like TOTK, this is looking like a good game and maybe even great game, but is it really an FF game? Could have just been a new IP.

Gideon

The dogs look awful but the rest looks nice for those who like it, personally not a fan of this type of combat.

Last edited:
This is giving me the same feeling as the TOTK previews - I didn’t want crafting/building in zelda either.

Now with this? Its become a straight action “RPG”, when FF’s roots are RPG and turn based RPG in particular. FF7R was too much action focused already but at least tried to nod to turn based with it’s pausing mechanic.

Why are so many IPs trying to jump genres instead of developing and iterating on their core gameplay?

Like TOTK, this is looking like a good game and maybe even great game, but is it really an FF game? Could have just been a new IP.
Square has been trying to get real-time combat right for a while now. So I'll let them indulge themselves into evolving their vision for FF games, better than being stagnant. It already looks leagues better than FFXV because that was the first FF game where I didn't enjoy the combat system, and I speak as someone who loves character action games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta. From all that has been shown and talked about in previews, I have no concerns over what they achieved here.

Interfectum

Sure - it’s a great game.

That wasn’t my point about TOTK or this…
You asked "Why are so many IPs trying to jump genres instead of developing and iterating on their core gameplay?"

I answered?

To expand... developers are taking known IPs and making sure they stay relevant through the years. Because of the changes Nintendo made to Zelda it is now one of the most relevant IPs in 2023. That's huge for an IP from the 80s.

ToadMan

Square has been trying to get real-time combat right for a while now. So I'll let them indulge themselves into evolving their vision for FF games, better than being stagnant. It already looks leagues better than FFXV because that was the first FF game where I didn't enjoy the combat system, and I speak as someone who loves character action games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta. From all that has been shown and talked about in previews, I have no concerns over what they achieved here.

Yes you’re right SE has been trying to go this way for a while.

Unfortunately I’m not a big fan of games like DMC or Bayo - I prefer more souls-like combat in my “action” RPGs and the ability to customise my character fighting style. From the Max preview it seems more linear in both story and character development.

So I guess that’s why I’m losing a bit of hype for this - I’m sure it will be great but it’s just deviating from the RPG elements I hoped for.

If the reviews are good I’ll still get it of course. But there are so many action games around now - I feel like a throw back FF with evolved RPG mechanics could have stood out from the crowd.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
lemme add mine, which is obviously better :p

This was a great write up! I am glad it's written as I really am done watching videos of this game, and will hold off from here on out, going full media blackout until either a demo or full game release.

(shout out to a fellow Dark Age of Camelot lover!)

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This was a great write up! I am glad it's written as I really am done watching videos of this game, and will hold off from here on out, going full media blackout until either a demo or full game release.

(shout out to a fellow Dark Age of Camelot lover!)

I am SO happy that someone still enjoys reading :messenger_beaming: Thank you. Thank yoy. Thank you.

And yes, DAOC will be forever in our hearts. 👍

No way it is 30 FPS when you are traversing then 60 in battles....Thats gotta be some kind of issue with the demo build. That would be terrible to launch like that.

Battles are seamless. There's no transition. Granted, I'm not very sensitive to frame rate, but it simply doesn't work like that. The game has selectable performance and quality modes.

Last edited:
Looks fantastic.

Honestly, the fact that this is dropping today makes me think they just cleared the path for FF7 Rebirth to be shown at PlayStation showcase. Stoked for both FF's.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
PS: if the whole game is as good as what I've played (and even more so if there's a crescendo) this may handily beat TOTK to GOTY. Mark my words. It's simply a better and more rounded experience. The gameplay is on par, depending on what you enjoy most, but the storytelling and characters are just so much better that it isn't even a fair competition.

And incidentally, Final Fantasy XVI has PDA (public displays of affection and sexual desire) which feels SO wrong for a Japanese game, but it's ultimately SO right. It takes a very bold step in that direction, which is great. And I'm not talking about fanservice or trophy sex scenes Dragon Age style, I'm talking about characters that interact realistically like they're actually attracted to each other, which is something that games usually do a terrible job at.

Last edited:
I hope the zones are big. That's my only concern as Max kinda made it seem like what he played didn't have much exploration. Hopefully it's just due to it being early in the game.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I hope the zones are big. That's my only concern as Max kinda made it seem like what he played didn't have much exploration. Hopefully it's just due to it being early in the game.

The open area we tried was quite big. I haven't specifically looked for them, but I didn't run into the borders, and it's not the only one the game has.

That said, there's plenty of exploration. Even the linear areas aren't like FFXIII. They have plenty of branches with loot to find.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Maximilian Dood's preview

God, this game just keeps getting "worse" for me.

After the trailers, we all knew that they went 100% on the action, and that it seemed inspired by Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, but according to Max FF XVI is just a straight Bayonetta and Devil May Cry clone, with RPG stats sprinkled on top of it.

Who... asked for this? Its not just that it is action, it doesn't seem to be an RPG at all anymore.

Like I said, I'll grab it during a sale down the line if the game is good, but I am deeply dissapointed in how the game appears to be shaping up to be.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
After the trailers, we all knew that they went 100% on the action, and that it seemed inspired by Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, but according to Max FF XVI is just a straight Bayonetta and Devil May Cry clone, with RPG stats sprinkled on top of it.

I haven't watched the whole video, but if he said literally that, that's simply false. It plays *nothing* like DMC or Bayonetta. Like, not even a little bit.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The suspicious lack of villages/ towns has me worried; dont want the combat to be excellent but the world dead.

There are villages and towns. There's one right in the middle of the open area included in the demo we played (I'm not talking about the hideout, I'm talking about an actual village).

We simply weren't allowed to enter because that progressed the story beyond the scope of the demo.

Last edited:
I haven't watched the whole video, but if he said literally that, that's simply false. It plays *nothing* like DMC or Bayonetta. Like, not even a little bit.
I think they are exaggerating what Max said. He was simply stating that like those games the system for upgrading moves works in similar ways to action games you are familiar with. Which I would expect.

Also, happy to hear there was some exploration. Regardless it was the intro areas of the game, I bet it opens up even more later on.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Iike how confident SE is about this game.

But even though I was already sold on this game, something I heard in one of the videos just brought a smile to my face.

`The triangle button is your magic attack button. And the longer you hold it down, the stronger your attack. So Fire becomes Fira, and hod it longer and it becomes Firaga...etc.`

Beautiful.

Schmendrick

I see the graphical presentation is still highly uneven. From "wow this looks amazing" to "did they forget the shadows in this scene?"....

Nautilus

Banned
I don't mean any disrespect, but I trust Max's opinion on this, as I have accompanied his opinion on some games, and I can better trust his opinion over yours.

But I do hope you are right. It won't change the fact that the only FF part about FF XVI is the name, and I do think that Square treats it now as a brand rather than a franchise, but it would be better than just being a straight action game.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PS: if the whole game is as good as what I've played (and even more so if there's a crescendo) this may handily beat TOTK to GOTY. Mark my words. It's simply a better and more rounded experience. The gameplay is on par, depending on what you enjoy most, but the storytelling and characters are just so much better that it isn't even a fair competition.

And incidentally, Final Fantasy XVI has PDA (public displays of affection and sexual desire) which feels SO wrong for a Japanese game, but it's ultimately SO right. It takes a very bold step in that direction, which is great. And I'm not talking about fanservice or trophy sex scenes Dragon Age style, I'm talking about characters that interact realistically like they're actually attracted to each other, which is something that games usually do a terrible job at.

Do you honestly think publications would give a great character action game like devil may cry goty over tears of the kingdom?

I'd love to see it but I just doubt it's possible.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I don't mean any disrespect, but I trust Max's opinion on this, as I have accompanied his opinion on some games, and I can better trust his opinion over yours.

But I do hope you are right. It won't change the fact that the only FF about FF XVI is the name, and I do think that Square treats it now as a brand rather than a franchise, but it would be better than just being a straight action game.
Trust who you want, but unless you're exaggerating, he's simply being misleading. The combat is action-based, yes, but it doesn't even come close to the style of the two games you mentioned.

Top Bottom