• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 final hands on previews are coming out

Nautilus

Banned
I think they are exaggerating what Max said. He was simply stating that like those games the system for upgrading moves works in similar ways to action games you are familiar with. Which I would expect.

Also, happy to hear there was some exploration. Regardless it was the intro areas of the game, I bet it opens up even more later on.
Which is action moves focused, rather than stats and builds. If I got right what Max said, there is no exageration.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Do you honestly think publications would give a great character action game like devil may cry goty over tears of the kingdom?

I'd love to see it but I just doubt it's possible.

This is not a character action game. Action is simply the style of gameplay, but it's not the focus.

Which is action moves focused, rather than stats and builds. If I got right what Max said, there is no exageration.

There are stats and builds, leveling, stat progression, equipment progression, and all the RPG elements you expect from a Final Fantasy game.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Trust who you want, but unless you're exaggerating, he's simply being misleading. The combat is action-based, yes, but it doesn't even come close to the style of the two games you mentioned.
Guess we will see once the game and the review drops.

No, the exaggeration is trying to claim he was saying it's a Bayonetta or DMC clone. He never said that. He was saying that the system in place for upgrading is in line with action games. It's still not a clone of those games for obvious reasons.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Won't watch. Already sold.
UrkBk5F.gif

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Has anyone captured what all the menu options are in the game like hud customizations

Mr.Phoenix

This is not a character action game. Action is simply the style of gameplay, but it's not the focus.

There are stats and builds, leveling, stat progression, equipment progression, and all the RPG elements you expect from a Final Fantasy game.
I would advise you to refrain from getting into it with certain posters about this game. There are two in particular that have had a bone to pick with this game since its very first showing.

Nautilus

Banned
No, the exaggeration is trying to claim he was saying it's a Bayonetta or DMC clone. He never said that. He was saying that the system in place for upgrading is in line with action games. It's still not a clone of those games for obvious reasons.
God, a clone is just an easy word to show that the majority of the inspiration came from these games. Not that it is identical. Just watched the Gamespot preview, and they say the same, even going so far as to call the game as a Stylized Action game, or something of the sort, which both DMC and Bayo are.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I just watched Max's impressions and he says its pretty much a character action game.
I played this video muted, but combat is 30fps too.

Max said that when he was playing in performance, all traversal was 30 FPS then it would switch to 60FPS when he got into a fight and it was jarring. Sounds awful, but hopefully just an issue with the previews.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Max said that when he was playing in performance, all traversal was 30 FPS then it would switch to 60FPS when he got into a fight and it was jarring. Sounds awful, but hopefully just an issue with the previews.

That's weird if true. It's the opposite of what Street Fighter's world mode has.

Why not just go for a 60 FPS everywhere and make cuts as needed if you're going to have a performance mode.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I just watched Max's impressions and he says its pretty much a character action game.

Max said this, Max said that.

Max is wrong. 😏

Max may not be familiar with the genre, but this is called an Action RPG. It ain't a new concept, not even for Final Fantasy.

I *SUCK* at character action games like DMC or Bayonetta. I had zero problems with FFXVI without using the timely accessories. It had a bit of challenge, which is great, but not nearly as skill-intensive as any DMC game.

Last edited:

Madflavor

looks like its going to be ff16 vs link for goty with link coming out on top for me its ff16.
Do you honestly think publications would give a great character action game like devil may cry goty over tears of the kingdom?

I'd love to see it but I just doubt it's possible.
PS: if the whole game is as good as what I've played (and even more so if there's a crescendo) this may handily beat TOTK to GOTY. Mark my words. It's simply a better and more rounded experience. The gameplay is on par, depending on what you enjoy most, but the storytelling and characters are just so much better that it isn't even a fair competition.

CT5KpTq.jpg

vkbest

Other YouTuber said in comments, there is no performance mode in the preview they played.

I hope it is good. It would be nice to see Squeenix put out something good that isnt ff14. I have a soft spot for them. Some companies that I used to love I now despise, like Blizzard, but it really seems like Squeenix has just been going through an extended rough patch rather than actively hating their fanbase, so I am rooting for them.

Fuz

Banned
Interesting that with Nintendo, this and the constant defaillances of western gaming releases, Japan seems to getting back to the top.

Reactions: Isa

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Look, you're free to post your impressions but please tone down the sarcarm and disdain towards others' opinions.

It doesn't make you look any more trustworthy. Quite the opposite, to be honest.

Defining a game belonging to a genre as a completely different genre doesn't help anyone, and is extremely misleading. I don't appreciate seeing people being misled. I don't particularly care how it makes me look. That's how I feel and I'll say it.

This isn't a character action game any more than it is a Soulsborne. It's neither. Perhaps the super-challenging Final Fantasy mode in the new game plus will be closer to that, but no one has played it, so that's moot.

Last edited:
Looks great. Need a new game for the PS5 and I should have finished Diablo 4 by the time this rolls around. I’ll preorder a bit closer to the time.

You joke (maybe), but literally no one else has achieved what he has. Steering the perception of an MMORPG from awful to good is literally unprecedented.
Yoshi P is literally the ray of hope for Squeenix. I really wanna blast through all of ff14 but have limited time, makes me kinda sad.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Defining a game belonging to a genre as a completely different genre doesn't help anyone, and is extremely misleading. I don't appreciate seeing people being misled. I don't particularly care how it makes me look. That's how I feel and I'll say it.

This isn't a character action game any more than it is a Soulsborne. It's neither. Perhaps the super-challenging Final Fantasy mode in the new game plus will be closer to that, but no one has played it, so that's moot.

So what do you feel the game is then?

How do you feel about the scenarios etc? it seems like there isnt a world you explore, there's areas you visit from a menu? It doesnt sound like a Final Fantasy RPG to me.

Go_Ly_Dow

Weren't people saying this didn't look good graphically? This build looks phenomenal.
Not the final build I believe mentioned in some previews, although I haven't watched.

I also shant be playing the demo which will probably come out in June. Its meant to be from the first few hours of the game.

II_JumPeR_I

Why are the bosses such sponges?
Game looks great but lets be honest it doesnt look like something only possible on PS5.
Animations look kinda worse and stiiff unlike in FF15

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
So what do you feel the game is then?

How do you feel about the scenarios etc? it seems like there isnt a world you explore, there's areas you visit from a menu? It doesnt sound like a Final Fantasy RPG to me.

The game is an action JRPG. Plain and simple. It isn't even the first for the franchise, so I'm not sure what's so shocking about it.

And there's plenty of "world to explore." There are several areas that you visit from a map, some are big and open, some are more linear and dungeon-like (but still have plenty of branches). It's exactly a Final Fantasy RPG.

Last edited:
Top Bottom