• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 8-14 | We played a lot of SG and VF for some reason

Nah

Top 5: Daigo, Momochi, Infiltration, Xian, Bonchan

Luffy is on a great streak right now, but those players have the more impressive wins and consistency. I might even put Nemo above Luffy.

Bonchan
-RB Kumite 1st
-Double Elimination 2nd
-4th NCR
-Stunfest 7th
-KVO 5th

Luffy has been beating up on Europeans and had that great win in Germany. I don't put the European only events on the same scale as the stacked tournaments with 10-12 top 20 players in the game because Europeans aren't the best. They're better than the US, and they can upset the Asians, but apart from Luffy can't consistently go toe to toe with them. Probably Valmaster, Ryan, and Gagapa can be added to that list too.

Dreamhack was basically Europe featuring Gamerbee, but without Valmaster and Gagapa.

even though I like bonchan. like cb said, no way he beats out louffy.

Shoryuken

Input the commands from the original series to become invincible until the move is complete. The move needs no recovery time after landing.

oh my god, all over my face

FA absorbs one hit. Dunno why I was hoping for Red Focus.

shaowebb

From the in-game tips:

Move / Tip

Hadoken

A projectile from a world-class fighting game. Hold down the button to vary how fast it travels. It’ll disappear after a set distance.

Hadoken

Input the commands from the original series to increase the Hadoken’s power. Use it in midair to make Ryu glide slightly.

Hadoken

Quickly input down, down-forward, forward for 1.25x power. You might have to practice a bit to really figure out howtodo a Hadoken.

Hadoken

Input back, down-back, down, down-forward, forward to unleash a fiery Shakunetsu Hadoken that can deal multiple hits.

Shoryuken

When you enter the original commands, Ryu is momentarily invincible, the move is stronger and looks different…and his shout even changes!

Shoryuken

Input the commands from the original series to become invincible until the move is complete. The move needs no recovery time after landing.

Shoryuken

Input forward, down, down-forward for 1.2x attack power. Think you can pull it off? SURE YOU CAN!

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Ryu will float up slightly when using this move after a jump, making this spinning side kick great for recovering.

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Input the commands from the original series to power up the attack. One thing to remember: you can’t use it repeatedly in midair.

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Enter down, down-back, back for 1.16x power. Increasing the strength also increases the move’s speed and travel distance.

Focus Attack

Ryu will hold his stance until you release the button or a certain amount of time has passed. Then he’ll unleash the punch.

Focus Attack

By turning the opposite way the moment Ryu punches, he will strike in that direction instead.

Focus Attack

Hitting an opponent with the fully charged version of this move will make them slowly crumple. Time for a follow-up attack!

Focus Attack

You can cancel this move by pressing left or right twice quickly, either while charging or right after the punch connects.

Focus Attack

Ryu can take one hit while readying for this move. This is true until right before he attacks, even when charging the move to maximum power.

Side Smash Attack

Ryu steps forward and unleashes his Joudan Sokutogeri. The tip of his foot is the strongest part, but it won’t hit a small crouching enemy.

Strong Down Attack (Strong)

You might have seen this kick in the original games. Just like in those, you can cancel the move after striking by going straight into a special.

Strong Down Attack (Strong)

Hold down the attack button while crouching to use this move. You can cancel it into a special even if the foe is shielding, but only if you hit.

Strong Down Attack (Weak)

Use this attack by crouching and tapping the attack button. If you hit a downed opponent with it, you’ll knock them back to their feet.

Strong Side Attack (Strong)

Keep up the pressure on a guarding enemy with Ryu’s Collarbone Breaker, a double hit that’s good for shield breaking.

Up Air Attack

This uppercut hits the enemy twice and has a deceptively large range. It’s fairly easy to hit enemies directly over you.

Front Air Attack

Hitting an enemy with Ryu’s foot has higher launch power, while his upper leg is perfect for shield breaking. It’s a good move for combos.

Down Air Attack

This is the only attack in Ryu’s arsenal that has a meteor effect. If it hits, your victim will fly diagonally downward.

Upward Throw

This move kicks a grabbed opponent straight upward. As Ryu brings his leg back down, he’ll hit anyone else unlucky enough to be in the way.

Down air meteors. Thats good then. Kind of curious how dodge rolls will come into play for Ryu now that he gets to do them like the rest of Smash as well as face them. Not certain we'll ever see that Focus attack crumple though unless its on someone trying to stage recover. I wonder what it does if it hits an airborn person? Smash maybe?

Down air meteors. Thats good then. Kind of curious how dodge rolls will come into play for Ryu now that he gets to do them like the rest of Smash as well as face them. Not certain we'll ever see that Focus attack crumple though unless its on someone trying to stage recover. I wonder what it does if it hits an airborn person? Smash maybe?

Oh man, FADC to people on the ledge is sooooooo good. And hitting someone in the air will probably do the same thing it does in SF4.

yooooooooooo

...so we not gonna include Evo? What about him shitting on Bonchan/Momochi/Poongko in the last time they've met? Shiiet, even shat on Xian last time for trying his pocket Elena.

I'm not sure if Bonchan could win a Euro tournament when he gets bopped by Pro Fluke lol

EVO was a year ago. I'm only counting 2015 as that is recent. If we're counting Ultra as a whole, then Luffy has the biggest win with EVO, but Bonchan has the consistency and my original comment doesn't matter.

Luffy beating players doesn't mean he's better. What matters are results. Certain players beat other players, but results matter in the end. It's like saying Smug is on Momochi's level because he can beat Momochi and Poongko. Luffy is one of those top players able to go toe to toe with the Asians and he deserves to be placed in that level. He just isn't top 5 since 2015.

In 2015 Luffy's wins are Dreamhack, Kakutop League, and FFM Rumble.

In those 3 wins, only 4 Asians were at those events.

The reason why I'm specifying Asians is because players like Xian, Bonchan, Gamerbee, Infiltration, Poongko, Kazunoko, etc... have shown to place really well at multiple stacked events. You can't say the same for Ryan, Valmaster, and Gagapa. You can only say that for Luffy which is why I put him on that level.

The other Europeans have only proven to not be completely free and capable of causing an upset. Problem X is an example of that. Pro Fluke is an example of that. Both are players that are able to cause upsets, but you wouldn't bet on them to place high at a stacked event where they would have to cause multiple upsets. They're only able to place high at an event where like 1-4 Asians are around once or so and only have to cause one upset to place high.

My top 15 in no order: Daigo, Momochi, Luffy, Infiltration, Nemo, Bonchan, Xian, Gamerbee, Kazunoko, Sako, Poongko, Tokido, Snake, Tonpy, and maybe Valmaster.

Bonchan's win at Red Bull had a lot of those players competing. It was more impressive than any of Luffy's wins.

I put more weight in the Asian ranking events than Texas Showdown, Dreamhack, etc... too because I think there are more of those top 15 players competing in them. That's why I consider Luffy's win at FFM Rumble impressive. Dreamhack didn't even have Valmaster or Gagapa. Luffy would body them, but they're better players than the other Europeans.

shaowebb

How high is the vertical on Ryu's Shoryuken in Sm4sh? Gonna need to take into account recovery on whiffing that one in a game with ringouts and up smashing. Plus I have no idea what block stun and recovery frames Ryu has in Smash. Its sort of up in the air on how this works till we play it.

I am comforted they took into account the air game and gave him a proper D-air meteor though so folks have to respect him. Otherwise I'd have fucking cheesed him with folks. Still gonna be pretty rough dealing with folks like Diddy Kong juggling bananas up at him. Folks like that can challenge jumps pretty safely.

Hmm...I'm a Ganondorf and Pacman guy. I wonder if I can Flame choke through FADC or tatsu or Jump hydrant through Shoryuken...

Also how can you blockstring with Ryu if they can just dodgeroll in shield? Dude's gonna need to Daigo walk up throw in them moments. Maybe he can combo into throw like Guilty Gear? Guess the old combo into tatsu is way riskier in a game they can dodgeroll through the tatsu.

Are you ever actually gonna say anything related to Ryu? I mean you've pretty much circled every non sequitor point you can. Megaman, Sonic, Superman...I was talking bout Ryu's outift and I made my point long ago. If he showed signs of personality it'd be easier for me. Even though I find Ryo Sakazaki dull he at least shows strong personality out there. Same with Takuma. Both could use more, but at least they convey something through body language. Ryu doesn't. He's stoic. Anyone else tries to use Gi as their outfit they need at least personality through body language. It fails outright otherwise.

Ryu's an icon and apparently you can't call out an outdated and dull outfit for what it is...something that wouldn't fly on anyone but someone who became known for it. He gets a pass from folks because that look is his now I guess, but its still dull. As I said though, you can be an icon and still evolve your look which is why if I touch SF I'll pretty much look around to see if he has any other alts to play as. Like what you like, but you stopped making any on topic points long ago and just circled around non sequitor stuff not related to what I actually said.

You're expecting me to defend Ryu's sacred design? I think you misunderstand. The difference between you and me isn't how we value Ryu's design. The difference is that I don't care.

I mean I can try and defend. You say Ryu is a relic from the 80s and it makes me think you don't understand what is the base appeal of Street Fighter is. Much like how Darkstalkers is about posing monsters against each other and Smash is about posing nintendo characters against each other, Street Fighter, at its core, is about posing these dream matchups between different nationalities of people in a cartoony way. Eastern Martial Arts vs Western Military. Karate vs Kung Fu. Boxing. Muay Thai. Sumo Wrestling. Ryu is "generic karate guy", because he's supposed to be, as the world warrior protagonist who fights all these different nationalities. This isn't lost in the current games. The reason Fei Long and Abel have a rival fight in SF4, was to reflect the common debate people have. That debate being about Bruce Lee fairing against modern day MMA fighters. Asking for Akuma, who is just Ryu with anime design put on top, or wanting Ryu to evolve like Iori Yagami

m9EExBk.jpg

is totally missing this concept.

It's like someone complaining about Little Mac being a generic boxer. The fucking game is about a character boxing different personalities.

I understand the importance of character evolution in terms of design. I was in the prior SF5 thread saying that SF would be doomed to be the next Tekken if they didn't bother to evolve the characters' looks. But for representation in Smash? Looking for some sort of nuanced mechanical design that makes you wonder at arcsys and NRS games, in a cameo? Looking for newness, in a homage? That is a misplaced priority you have.

5th place is really arguable tbh

Luffy, Nemo, Sako, Poongko, Bonchan, etc... all have a case. Consistency, skill, and best wins all factor into it. Like Sako and Nemo have barely entered tournaments, but have been at the top whenever they did enter a tournament. Luffy has the wins, but Bonchan and Poongko have been more consistent at the stacked events. Take your pick.

Only thing that is set in stone is that Daigo and Momochi are the best.

Hey, I got King of Fighters XIII on Steam during the sale on a whim, how easy is it to get into?

To learn how to do the basics: Pretty easy. For a beginner the biggest difficulties from a technical perspective are probably learning to hop consistently, the strictness of jumpins and hitconfirms. They're not hard to do, per se, but you have to be attentive.

Apart from that it's largely just moving well and actively.

You're expecting me to defend Ryu's sacred design? I think you misunderstand. The difference between you and me isn't how we value Ryu's design. The difference is that I don't care.

I mean I can try and defend. You say Ryu is a relic from the 80s and it makes me think you don't understand what is the base appeal of Street Fighter is. Much like how Darkstalkers is about posing monsters against each other and Smash is about posing nintendo characters against each other, Street Fighter, at its core, is about posing these dream matchups between different nationalities of people in a cartoony way. Eastern Martial Arts vs Western Military. Karate vs Kung Fu. Boxing. Muay Thai. Sumo Wrestling. Ryu is "generic karate guy", because he's supposed to be, as the world warrior protagonist who fights all these different nationalities. This isn't lost in the current games. The reason Fei Long and Abel have a rival fight in SF4, was to reflect the common debate people have. That debate being about Bruce Lee fairing against modern day MMA fighters. Asking for Akuma, who is just Ryu with anime design put on top, or wanting Ryu to evolve like Iori Yagami

m9EExBk.jpg

is totally missing this concept.

It's like someone complaining about Little Mac being a generic boxer. The fucking game is about a character boxing different personalities.

I understand the importance of character evolution in terms of design. I was in the prior SF5 thread saying that SF would be doomed to be the next Tekken if they didn't bother to evolve the characters' looks. But for representation in Smash? Looking for some sort of nuanced mechanical design that makes you wonder at arcsys and NRS games, in a cameo? Looking for newness, in a homage? That is a misplaced priority you have.
Great post.

shaowebb

I understand the importance of character evolution in terms of design. I was in the prior SF5 thread saying that SF would be doomed to be the next Tekken if they didn't bother to evolve the characters looks. But for representation in Smash? Looking for some sort of nuanced mechanical design that makes you wonder at arcsys and NRS games, in a cameo? Looking for newness, in a homage? That is a misplaced priority you have.

Again you didn't read. I said he was boring and that in his own game he needed his look to evolve. I specifically said it wouldn't make sense if he changed for a cameo while you were making non sequitor debates about other characters unrelated to what I actually said.Then other folks talked and we all talked and I came to terms that Ryu gets a pass because he's Ryu and thats his thing. He's the only guy who still has that look. Its his now and i'll forever play his alts.

No one else is having this conversation now. Move on. You never really had a point and you never really read what I was saying anyhow about art design. You just got mad I said anything at all "meh" about Ryu even if it was something so trivial as saying his outfit is boring and that I personally find him the most boring option to include. It doesn't change anything for anyone else if someone doesn't feel the same as you and you never had any real points about the character's design. His design isn't related to Sonic, Megaman, or any other SF character to me or anything about that game's aesthetic even. He has little to do with personality in his body language and I felt he needed a bit more detail with his outfit to compensate. Simple as that.

Move on. Get over it. I hold a different opinion than you on a character. I know you like yes/no and black and white sort of views, but its gray here. Its an opinion coming from an artistic viewpoint. Simple is fine by me but not generic and Ryu comes across as generic visually to me even if he's the original.

Again...move on. Get over it. I just hold a different opinion than you. Now can we please get back to actually talking about how he plays.

Dahbomb

I don't know man, you find Ryu's gi boring I find it fine. I like the red bandana too, speaks to his character as it's a piece of Ken's outfit. I like the bare feet and gloves too. The whole red and white thing makes him out into the colors of Japan (red and white) so you can look at him at a glance and say "oh he is probably a karate guy from Japan". The simple design conveys a lot.

It's not boring to me, it's just simple, standard and clean. Would rather have a simple/clean look than an over designed mess.

Maybe they can give him a beard or a facial scar later on.

shaowebb

Pretty damn high. At least twice as high as Mac's UpB in the air.
Hmmm...can he make another action after it then is the question. Like air dodge? Otherwise I see a lot of baiting this character the same way I bait Fire Emblem folks which won't make him bad just means its something folks will need to learn to defend against. I wonder if you can cancel Focus Attack into shield? If so he may be able to Focus attack Dodgeroll cancel as a method to get in pretty well vs rapid fire zoners.
"move on but let me get the last word tho

but seriously move on"

Whatever it takes to get it across. I have my opinion on the character's look and he has his. I won't budge and I'm tired of posting in response to statements that didn't even read my posts.

BlackJace

Most of the sound effects in SFV are ass but if they do change them I hope counter hits still sound like money.

Easier than people will tell you.

To learn how to do the basics: Pretty easy. For a beginner the biggest difficulties from a technical perspective are probably learning to hop consistently, the strictness of jumpins and hitconfirms. They're not hard to do, per se, but you have to be attentive.

Apart from that it's largely just moving well and actively.

Thanks!

Hmmm...can he make another action after it then is the question. Like air dodge? Otherwise I see a lot of baiting this character the same way I bait Fire Emblem folks which won't make him bad just means its something folks will need to learn to defend against. I wonder if you can cancel Focus Attack into shield? If so he may be able to Focus attack Dodgeroll cancel as a method to get in pretty well vs rapid fire zoners.

I think you can only Focus Dash Cancel. And his SRK sends him into freefall, but his Tatsu doesn't. You can FADC his SRK anyways though, so lol

shaowebb

I think you can only Focus Dash Cancel. And his SRK sends him into freefall, but his Tatsu doesn't. You can FADC his SRK anyways though, so lol

I'm glad his tatsu doesn't. He'll need the shoryu to get back on the ledge if he tries to tatsu chase folks off the side after a jump.

twitch.tv/kagecchi

Kagecchi 2v2 tournament at Club Sega in Japan
9pm pacific
12 am eastern
110 teams have signed up thus far

Some notable teams
Tokido - Kenzo (SvelteAverage34)
Nemo - Misse
Mago - Santarou
Inco - Shiro
Nishikin - Akimo
TKD - Itazan
Electribe - Meimomo
Tsuna - Okkun
Kim1234 - Sasa
Y (cammy) - Shinchan
Yossan - R (boxer)

Other notable names taking part, but I don't feel like naming their teammates: Kindevu, Storm Kubo, Kojiro, Matsuri, Daichan, Vivi (chun), Keiji N (freejay that almost took out Nemo), Kitasenju DJ, aiai, Shinba, Younashi

Top Bottom